As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I mean, they can literally make her and her family vanish off the face of the earth. I wouldn't put this on her. Blame the CCP.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    jesus christ guys, all other examples you gave are playable offline in their card-versions
    OW is not. The card is literally useless a month later. Diablos' isn't.
    It's absolute nonsense to make an OW card, no company would be that insane. The box is for collectors and uncles.
    Even Splatoon 2 has an offline sp mode, and Nintendo doesn't have to pay licensing fees.
    Every other online only mp game is not even available at B&M stores, they're all f2p digital.

I know there are OPINIONS, but this issue is pretty damn objective.

What about the Division 2 and Destiny 2 and Anthem? AFAIK there is no offline mode for any of those games.

and none of them are on the switch
    pressing disks is a billion times cheaper than building a cartridge

So it IS about the company being cheap and trying to save money to print the cartridge. They could have eaten the cost, put it on a cartridge and allowed the consumer to resell the game whenever they want.

I'm all for the consumer, above all. But WHY would a company EVER do that? That's expecting a little too much charity.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    High Resolution Dot Matrix graphics

That's amazing.

At one point, 320x200 was the highest resolution in the world, so calling it "high resolution" was technically correct. :)

a dot matrix screen on one of those thingies is definitely a big deal. They all had those "fixed shape" LCD cells. Dot Matrix in this context is like 4k HDR today

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I feel bad for Mercer and the other voice actors.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Help me out here. I own two Switches - a lite and a regular. My lite is now my primary switch with the regular remaining docked for the most part requiring an internet connection to play most games.

My question is, are there any games my partner and I can play together with us each on our own Switch? I was hoping we could do coop Stardew but it looks like it would require us both to have copies of Stardew.

Does your partner have their own switch on top of the lite and regular you mentioned? Because I imagine the trick of trying to multiplay on two systems using the same Nintendo account is going to be a special case. There *might* be a chance of doing local/ad-hoc multiplay if your lite stays off the internet, but Nintendo might've blocked that too.

Nope, just the two Switches.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    jesus christ guys, all other examples you gave are playable offline in their card-versions
    It's absolute nonsense to make an OW card, no company would be that insane. The box is for collectors and uncles.
    Even Splatoon 2 has an offline sp mode, and Nintendo doesn't have to pay licensing fees.
    Every other online only mp game is not even available at B&M stores, they're all f2p digital.

What about the Division 2 and Destiny 2 and Anthem? AFAIK there is no offline mode for any of those games.

So it IS about the company being cheap and trying to save money to print the cartridge. They could have eaten the cost, put it on a cartridge and allowed the consumer to resell the game whenever they want.

I'm all for the consumer, above all. But WHY would a company EVER do that? That's expecting a little too much charity.

You're right. But your original argument was that it wasn't about the cost but it is about the cost. It's not like they're paying $15 for a cartridge lol. Giving people the inability to sell their game is more important to them than not. So yes they could have and should have put the game on a cart.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

You're right. But your original argument was that it wasn't about the cost but it is about the cost. It's not like they're paying $15 for a cartridge lol. Giving people the inability to sell their game is more important to them than not. So yes they could have and should have put the game on a cart.

wait, are we talking about selling the OW game if it were on a disk? People buy secondhand online game disks? I could see selling an account that had some kind of virtual value but is that disk really worth anything to a second hand buyer?

• Options
    Why would it be anything different than selling your Black Ops 3 disk back to Gamestop? Your saves and account info is stored on the console and not the cartridge.

Yes I think that a consumer should be able to sell their products after they purchased it. Especially double if it's a physical cartridge.

The original argument was that no other online only game was sold in B&M stores, but that's not true because there are numerous examples.

Now it's because it's too expensive for the company to put them on a cartridge. Which is what I said initially: not only do they not have to pay for a cartridge but they also kill the second hand market for that game. That is not pro-consumer in any way.

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »

wait, are we talking about selling the OW game if it were on a disk? People buy secondhand online game disks? I could see selling an account that had some kind of virtual value but is that disk really worth anything to a second hand buyer?

I had to check if Anthem, Destiny 2 and The Division 2 are being resold on Amazon and apparently the do!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

You get the license to play the game then? I feel like that's kind of important.

• Options
    Why would it be anything different than selling your Black Ops 3 disk back to Gamestop? Your saves and account info is stored on the console and not the cartridge.

Yes I think that a consumer should be able to sell their products after they purchased it. Especially double if it's a physical cartridge.

The original argument was that no other online only game was sold in B&M stores, but that's not true because there are numerous examples.

Now it's because it's too expensive for the company to put them on a cartridge. Which is what I said initially: not only do they not have to pay for a cartridge but they also kill the second hand market for that game. That is not pro-consumer in any way.

Eh...you can't resell Destiny The Collection for example. Well, I think they're basically duping you because you're really only buying "base" Destiny and not getting the rest of the expansions because they're codes.

• Options

You get the license to play the game then? I feel like that's kind of important.

I get what you mean. I mean, the systems as they are now (Steam, PSN, NSWO and XBL) don't allow you to resell digital goods. I think they should allow the consumer at least to transfer the licenses.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So Dragon Quest XI? I "beat" it 50 hours in? I understand there is post game content. Not sure how significant it is.

I kept hearing this was a 100 hour game. So I was expecting yet another reversal akin to the reversal at the end of the first act. When no such hiccup occurred and the credits straight up rolled, I was a tad confused. Especially since it seemed like there were enough plot threads dangling, doohickeys on the map I hadn't figured out how to engage with, and room on the skill trees to fill out.

Now I'm curious if there is a whole other back nine to this game, or what?

Well, anyways, having "beat" it, I fucking adored it. Loved the story beats, loved how they mixed things up in the second act, loved being able to pick my battles. Hated that it crashed on me twice and I lost hours of progress. Once at the save camp, when I wanted to just equip a new item I got real quick before I saved. Opening the equipment menu crashed the game.

Mother. Fucker.

My goal was to beat this massive time sink before my daughter was born on the 28th, and I suppose I've met that objective. We'll see how juicy the post game is though. I still have 2 weeks, more if she's late as she's likely to be.

• Options

Eh...you can't resell Destiny The Collection for example. Well, I think they're basically duping you because you're really only buying "base" Destiny and not getting the rest of the expansions because they're codes.

That's true, and especially since Destiny 2 went f2p. But the Division 1 and 2 and Anthem (and I'm sure many more, I usually avoid GaaS games) are all still allowing people to sell their games when they are done.

• Options
    PM me if you guys want to continue to discuss this topic further. I appreciate the discussion from the other side but it's only super loosely related to the Switch and I don't want clutter it up any further than I have.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    So Dragon Quest XI? I "beat" it 50 hours in? I understand there is post game content. Not sure how significant it is.

I kept hearing this was a 100 hour game. So I was expecting yet another reversal akin to the reversal at the end of the first act. When no such hiccup occurred and the credits straight up rolled, I was a tad confused. Especially since it seemed like there were enough plot threads dangling, doohickeys on the map I hadn't figured out how to engage with, and room on the skill trees to fill out.

Yeeeeeep. Keep playing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »

Yeeeeeep. Keep playing.

There are 3 endings I think? I also was confused at first.

• Options
    It feels like Lunar Eternal Blue were sure there is an ending...but the epilogue is probably as long as the main game.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Review of the Baldur's Gate games on Switch
    Of course, the big change for these console versions is the addition of analogue controls for moving your party around, and we've been hugely impressed with what Beamdog has achieved here. Using the left thumbstick to move your party about, tilting further to move faster, and controlling your camera with the right stick is a breeze and feels comfortable and totally natural. You can still switch to clicking on areas of the screen with a pointer for finer precision in battles – now known as 'tactics mode' – which is something that's especially helpful when casting spells, but we found ourselves sticking with these new controls for the most part as they just feel great and take so much of the expected work out of getting to grips with Baldur's Gate. They also do much to fix an age-old problem these games have with finicky path-finding. Taking direct control over your group does away with this problem entirely; no more watching your team members knock into their surroundings like they've had one too many pints of Tanagyr's Stout down the Splurging Sturgeon.

And now I want those controls on the PC versions. I loathe KBAM.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The post game is not a post game in DQXI.

It is straight up the third of 3 chapters in the game. The story is not over yet and continues through that final chapter.

People calling it a post-game just make things more confusing for everyone else.

DemonStacey on
  • Options

It is straight up the third of 3 chapters in the game. The story is not over yet and continues through that final chapter.

People calling it a post-game just make things more confusing for everyone else.

The black screen saying "The End" and then the credits rolling are probably to blame for that.

Well, onward ho then!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

It's kind of both, to a degree. There's some on rails stuff at the start and then it opens up.

The starting point for act 3 is hinted at on the map though.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I mean, I always expect current software companies to do two things: be cheap and try to screw you out of reselling, loaning, or otherwise gaining any control over your purchase.

Which is why I prefer to buy physical games still, but also accept that I have literally hundreds of games on Steam.

I'm more interested in trying to change digital property rights and the concepts behind them, but that takes legislation from people who understand something above a single-slice analog toaster, so for now it's just a decision of how much I want to play a game vs how often I've seen it in the wild and probably on sale. Like, I just bought World of Final Fantasy Maxima on sale because I've never actually seen a physical version of it. If I wanted to play it, digital is how I'd have to go.

And in the case of multiplayer games that need a server, I'd straight up expect to never play it again after servers go down, for example.

I think the saddest part of our societal attitude towards software up to this point is not properly treating it like art, so there's not been any proper archival process. I mean sure, we as a species have had some screw ups with movies, music, even anything written because of fires and what-not, but we've not really taken to respecting the material as a thing to be kept. It's all been treated as disposable thus far. And I think it hurts my head more than the destruction of previous material because we could have done something more about it, because of the digital nature of it all, the ability to endlessly copy those 1s and 0s. But in a combination of dismissiveness and almost certainly a tangle of copyright laws, we haven't.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

So is this a Nier:A situation?

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I think the saddest part of our societal attitude towards software up to this point is not properly treating it like art, so there's not been any proper archival process. I mean sure, we as a species have had some screw ups with movies, music, even anything written because of fires and what-not, but we've not really taken to respecting the material as a thing to be kept. It's all been treated as disposable thus far. And I think it hurts my head more than the destruction of previous material because we could have done something more about it, because of the digital nature of it all, the ability to endlessly copy those 1s and 0s. But in a combination of dismissiveness and almost certainly a tangle of copyright laws, we haven't.

Me too man, me too. Recently a fuck ton of old DOS games were put up on the Internet Archive. Which is a start. You can't download them, only stream them. Which still means they are vulnerable to vanishing if the Internet Archive ever shits a brick.

IMHO, GOG is doing god's work on this, patching old games up to run on modern hardware, and releasing them without DRM. But I also suspect they've about mined out the vein of games with cooperative rights holders. So it's unlikely they'll ever get to Mechwarrior 2, Myth, etc.

Funny thing is, pirates have always had your back. I was reading filfre.net some time ago, and he was writing about the C64 piracy scene. Which he was lead to through his research into assorted C64 software. Why you may ask? Because the only reason we have so much C64 software preserved at all, is because pirates cracked, copied, and obsessively archived it. Were it not for pirates, we'd have lost Apple, Commodore, Spectrum and Amiga software just the same as we've lost so much silent film.

Software as a service finally puts the nail in the preservation coffin though. How do you preserve Destiny? How do you preserve Diablo 3? How do you preserve Evolve?

I've been eyeballing a few CD-ROMs of old dos games lately. Maybe I should pull the trigger on them before they vanish for good.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    If anyone is just curious and wants a quick SIGNIFICANT PLOT SPOILER on the situation with Dragon Quest XI being discussed. Just because it's pretty cool in my opinion. Partly for @lionheart_m asking about it (I don't know anything about Nier).
    I reiterate that this is a complete spoiler on the general outline for the plot.
    At the start of the game you find out you're the reincarnation of the hero, but no major villain has really risen up to demonstrate that a hero would be needed yet. As a result some people are suspicious whether you might be the one to bring calamity on everyone, and you encounter some adversity based on that.

You go on a journey and meet friends collecting magical doodads to be able to visit the world tree and learn what you're supposed to do.

When you finally reach your goal, it turns out the true villain followed you there, disables your party easily, corrupts the world tree and pulls a full Kefka, decimating the earth.

That's Act 1.

Then you wake up and have to reassemble your party and right many wrongs in this new screwed-up world, eventually getting back to the point where you can fight that bad guy and save the world.

That's Act 2.

Then you travel back in time to the point when the bad guy screwed everything up to begin with and prevent it from happening, and explore the world again with all new stuff to do, new wrongs to set right, eventually beating the true true final villain. And this final act is about as long as the rest of the game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If anyone is just curious and wants a quick SIGNIFICANT PLOT SPOILER on the situation with Dragon Quest XI being discussed. Just because it's pretty cool in my opinion. Partly for @lionheart_m asking about it (I don't know anything about Nier).
    I reiterate that this is a complete spoiler on the general outline for the plot.
    At the start of the game you find out you're the reincarnation of the hero, but no major villain has really risen up to demonstrate that a hero would be needed yet. As a result some people are suspicious whether you might be the one to bring calamity on everyone, and you encounter some adversity based on that.

You go on a journey and meet friends collecting magical doodads to be able to visit the world tree and learn what you're supposed to do.

When you finally reach your goal, it turns out the true villain followed you there, disables your party easily, corrupts the world tree and pulls a full Kefka, decimating the earth.

That's Act 1.

Then you wake up and have to reassemble your party and right many wrongs in this new screwed-up world, eventually getting back to the point where you can fight that bad guy and save the world.

That's Act 2.

Then you travel back in time to the point when the bad guy screwed everything up to begin with and prevent it from happening, and explore the world again with all new stuff to do, new wrongs to set right, eventually beating the true true final villain. And this final act is about as long as the rest of the game.
    Act 3 is shorter than the others imo - the required part goes by very quick and you just freeform your way to the end after that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Just to put it out there so more people know about it, DQ XI does the whole "It's the end of the game, here are the credits" fakeout where that is not the end of the game and the postgame is not the postgame, it's... the literal rest of the story.

Don't be fooled by premature credits!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I never said it wasn't for the moni
    I always said it was for the moni. And being for the moni is not a wrong thing

Edit: Dude, I sincerely think you didn't read my posts right. I specifically mentioned the switch and cartridges on my arguments. I never once said you can't buy or resell online only MP games on other platforms, I don't even know if that's true or not.

My one and only point since the first moment is that it makes no sense to put an online only mp game on a Nintendo™ Switch® videogame cartridge, and that no one ever did that. And the reason for that is that it's a waste of money and plastic and gold and all that.

I even think it's kinda wasteful to make a box for it, too, but at least it makes economical sense to the publisher, to grab that Granny Xmas money.

Simple as that.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular

That's Act 1.

That's Act 2.

As somebody who is about to play this game for the first time this outline make's me want to play it so much more.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Zunde wrote: »

That's Act 1.

That's Act 2.

As somebody who is about to play this game for the first time this outline make's me want to play it so much more.

You're not supposed to be reading spoilers!!!! But I agree, it's an interesting idea.

@Polaritie I wasn't trying to be dishonest about the length, I am not completely finished with it yet myself, just going on what I've heard.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I never said it wasn't for the moni
    I always said it was for the moni. And being for the moni is not a wrong thing

Edit: Dude, I sincerely think you didn't read my posts right. I specifically mentioned the switch and cartridges on my arguments. I never once said you can't buy or resell online only MP games on other platforms, I don't even know if that's true or not.

My one and only point since the first moment is that it makes no sense to put an online only mp game on a Nintendo™ Switch® videogame cartridge, and that no one ever did that. And the reason for that is that it's a waste of money and plastic and gold and all that.

I even think it's kinda wasteful to make a box for it, too, but at least it makes economical sense to the publisher, to grab that Granny Xmas money.

Simple as that.

I was mostly referring to this post:

Where you claim the card is useless a month later when it's really not. OW is in a unique position on the Switch where there isn't another online-only game that costs money. Putting the game on the cartridge and selling it for $X means that a person can walk into the store, buy it for $X and walk home with it. Then a month or two later they can sell it for $Y to the store and another user can come and buy it for $Z.

The issue is that Blizzard doesn't see that used game sale for $Z. Except that user MIGHT pay for their shitty lootboxes and therefore they'd make money on them anyway.

But then we're going back in circles again when we could be talking about how awesome Dragon Quest XI is... And I prefer that discussion. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    Speaking of which, is there a good source for used cheap Switch games for people like me that live outside the US? Amazon "Used" cards are basically priced at about the same price as new so I really really so no benefit on buying used from there.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Let’s talk about something else entirely, since DQ has its own thread too.

So, Monaco is coming out for Switch next week. Great game, play it!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Also I just played Castle Crashers for 3 hours straight on the Switch and it was blast! But I have a complaint that I'm sure most of you knew but I just want to address.

The guest account users' levels never saved onto the original user's account. So we were playing 4 players: Honky (1), Honky (2), Honky (3), and Honky (4). The only experience/leveling that was saved was for Honky (1). We found that early on (luckily) but we couldn't seem to figure out how to get each controller to its own profile. Like on the Xbox 360 you'd hit the Xbox button, login, and boom you're in. But the Switch we spent a few minutes looking but ultimately decided to just do the guest accounts. Clicking "change user" on the Switch home screen would just quit the game for everyone and login with that user. We couldn't figure out how to do it in game (though we had the window show up ONCE but we couldn't do it again).

So I'm sure it's possible but people need to be aware. If you and a loved one (or friends) are playing the game and they're playing on the Guest account or whatever then their progress won't be saved.

• Options
    akjak wrote: »
    Let’s talk about something else entirely, since DQ has its own thread too.

So, Monaco is coming out for Switch next week. Great game, play it!

Oh really? That's cool. I played it a while back with some friends, though it was difficult because somebody kept blowing the heist and just charging through everything.

• Options
    Also I just played Castle Crashers for 3 hours straight on the Switch and it was blast! But I have a complaint that I'm sure most of you knew but I just want to address.

The guest account users' levels never saved onto the original user's account. So we were playing 4 players: Honky (1), Honky (2), Honky (3), and Honky (4). The only experience/leveling that was saved was for Honky (1). We found that early on (luckily) but we couldn't seem to figure out how to get each controller to its own profile. Like on the Xbox 360 you'd hit the Xbox button, login, and boom you're in. But the Switch we spent a few minutes looking but ultimately decided to just do the guest accounts. Clicking "change user" on the Switch home screen would just quit the game for everyone and login with that user. We couldn't figure out how to do it in game (though we had the window show up ONCE but we couldn't do it again).

So I'm sure it's possible but people need to be aware. If you and a loved one (or friends) are playing the game and they're playing on the Guest account or whatever then their progress won't be saved.

• Options
    So Y when joining?

• Options
    Yep when you are at the character select!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that fooled me and my roommate when we used my partner's switch to 3-player the start of the game.

I had leveled up Pink Knight and he leveled up Red Knight. We got past the Bat cave boss and stopped for the night. Next time we loaded up the game, only my partner's Orange knight was leveled up, none of our data saved. It wasn't a big loss, but still a bit of a downer.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear