Options

[EVE On] EVE Online: Epic Titan Explosion Memorial Edition

MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Previous thread here. Thanks SpaceDrake and Ledneh for an awesome OP.
eveonline140904.jpg

In the early 20th century, several sovereign nations across the world were allied in what is known as "collective defense." Under these terms, any aggressive act against one nation of the alliance would be quickly considered an aggressive act to ALL nations in the alliance. Ostensibly this was to ensure the safety of all nations, since no other nation would risk the ire of an entire alliance arrayed against them.

On June 28, 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary was killed by a Serbian assassin. Austria-Hungary demanded that Serbia punish those responsible. When they deemed, several weeks later, that Serbia had failed to do so, they declared war. Several other nations in their defensive pact followed suit. Other nations on the side of Serbia came to its aid, as part of their own defensive pact. Before long, this grew to engulf the entire world in what would later be called The Great War. Countless millions were killed before the war ended four years later.

George Santayana once said, "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." Apparently, this little piece of wisdom even applies in the world of electronic entertainment.

Gentlemen, welcome to The Great War... in Space. Welcome to EVE Online.

Allright, so what the fuck are you on about?
EVE Online is an MMO set in the space region called New Eden, irrevocably separated from Earth in an incident in ancient history. It spans several hundreds of solar systems, divided into several regions of varying security level from 1.0 to 0.0. It would take several hours at best to traverse from one side of the galaxy to another.

Besides the sheer size of the game land, there are several things which divide EVE from the rest of the MMOs on the market, and make it something truly special. One of these is, simply, freedom. Back in the days of UO, there wasn't much in the way of concrete goals, except those you made for yourself. Want to be a guardian of other players? Pick up that armor and sword, and start making friends. Want to pillage other players of everything they own? Knock yourself out, but start running fast if they're near guards. Just want to get rich? Grab a mining pick-axe or a merchant stall, and get to work. Here in EVE it's much the same: there are no goals except those which you make for yourself. There are no professions, no classes, no titles that the game assigns your character.

You are what you do. No more, no less.

The other thing that separates EVE from others is the way character progression works. Everyone learns new skills at exactly the same rate as everyone else; set a skill to train, and you're off. Furthermore, skills continue to train while you're offline, so even if you have to take a two-week hiatus, you're still going to progress in skill assuming you set a sufficiently long-term skill to train. And the skill system is deep AND broad; to learn to do everything at peak efficiency would take something on the order of at least seven years--and by then there'll be more to train anyway, rest assured.

So it's open-ended. Great. So, uh, what do I do?
Hell, pretty much anything.
  • Fight NPC pirates (or NPC police!) for bounties and loot
  • Play the fully-open, well-featured, player-driven market through trade, buy-low-sell-high, or other endeavors
  • Mine for raw materials, and produce your own equipment and ships
  • Pirate and ransom other players, or become a pirate of pirates
  • Load up some scanning equipment and search space for hidden sites
  • Join The Great War for 0.0 Space with the Penny Arcade alliance WANG or any of their allies (or their enemies, if you're a git)
The Great War?
Yes, and I'm not kidding about Great.

Space is divided into three general security levels on a scale from 1.0 to 0.0. 1.0 to 0.5 is considered high security Empire space, where players who commit aggressive acts against other players will swiftly and inevitably have their ships destroyed by the NPC police organization CONCORD. High security space is not a TOTAL guarantor of safety, but it's close. 0.4 to 0.1 is considered low security Empire space, where aggressive acts can take place without CONCORD retribution, but your personal security status will dive and automated turrets around stations and gates will open fire for a time.

0.0 is lawless space; there is absolutely no retribution for aggression, it is where the real meaty stuff is, and it is where the Great War is taking place. It also has the best resources in terms of NPC bounties and asteroids to mine in the game. It's also completely player-run. Players hold sovereignty over space, and players make the wars.

And the current war is the big one. Discussion of the war's participants, borrowed from the old OP, follows.
SpaceDrake wrote:
Hey, who are these allies you mentioned?

Why, I'm glad you asked.

icon23_02.png

Remember those guys in Scalding Pass I mentioned that you may have heard of? Yep, we've made good friends with the GoonSwarm, who are now the largest alliance (and corp, technically!) in EVE. They've been excellent to work with and they're a joy to fly and fight with (so long as you have a sense of humor.)

icon07_03.png
icon23_01.png
icon09_03.png
icon04_03.png

The friends of our friends are also our friends. The first two alliances consist primarily of Russian and French players respectively; Imperium (which is currently known as Curse Alliance) is comprised of some of the game's most veteran players, and Interstellar Alcohol Conglomerate is composed of guys who are primarily out of their minds. ;) Solid friends, all of them.

icon04_04.png

And last but most certainly not least, Curatores Veritatis Alliance. There are some on these forums who will smack them up for being "haughty roleplayers" or somesuch; the writer of this OP will have none of that. In all honesty, WANG likely could not have gotten as far as it has without the help CVA has often given us. They are the guardians of the area around Hoshoun, and although we can contribute quite a bit to our own defense, on the rare occasion we are overpowered CVA throws themselves to our defense without fear or hesitation. We could not ask for truer friends and the OP, for one, is glad to have them around. amarrsalute.jpg

So, uh, do we have any enemies?

Well, unfortunately you don't make quite as many friends and get quite as big as we do without gaining the enimity of a few of the big boys. Of major note:

icon18_04.png

Lotka Volterra is one of the deadest alliances in the game. They are also currently the target of a CONCORD invasion, in which Jita irregularly assists militarily and constantly assists in terms of supply. As such, while there is no actual declared war between the two entities, LV will pretty much kill any asteroid on sight in 1.0 and probably in lowsec as well. While the situation between rats and LV sometimes leads to us getting bored, the old saying of "FAILURE CASCADE" certainly applies to this conflict...

icon14_04.png

Band of Brothers is one of the hardest, most powerful alliances in the game. They are also the sworn enemies of the GoonSwarm, and since Lotka Volterra fell faster than a house of cards, you can be sure that BoB and the Swarm are currently fighting the biggest war the game has ever seen. Given how we supply the Swarm with a fair bit of war material, it's rather doubtful they'll be too chuffed with us when that time comes. Of course, given BoB's stated goal of conquering all of EVE, it doesn't seem too likely we could avoid pew-pewing them ever, anyway.

icon04_01.png

Ushra'Khan is the alliance idealogically opposed to CVA, CVA being pro-Amarr-Empire and U'K being pro-Minmatar (and thus anti-slavery.) The problem with U'K, from the WANG standpoint, is that their anti-slavery crusade extends to violence, and unfortunately that violence also seems to extend to friends of CVA. While not nearly as huge as LV or BoB, U'K certainly makes our operations in and around Hoshoun interesting from time to time.

Additionally, WANG occasionally has to deal with random piratical twits who come after us thinking we're easy kills; as of this posting we are currently engaged in such a conflict and are roughly teaching those who declared on us that if you wish to harm the Merch, you better be ready for some fleshreaping.
(Please note when reading the above the Lotka Volterra has been effectively thrown out of 0.0 space, and the war against BoB is in full swing.)

For your benefit, here's a fairly current map of the world, as created by the collaborative efforts of several Goonswarm members. The general thrust of the war right now is "North and South-East versus South-West." The central areas are Empire space; the outside areas are 0.0 space where most of the war is taking place.

gsmap-small-20070315.jpg
Yeah, it's complicated.

PA corp, eh?
Yep. Merch Industrial is the Penny Arcade corp, with headquarters in Hoshoun, 0.1 space. They also have a home in GoonSwarm space, and are on their side of the Great War. Here's some more information:
SpaceDrake wrote:
Join the PennyArcade chat channel. Open up the Channels & Mailing Lists button on the left (picture of two people talking) and press Create / Join and then type in "pennyarcade".

So, is there a PA corporation?

Oh, you have no idea.

WangLogo.jpg
Why the tophat you ask? Well, because we're fancy lads.

What began as a small industrial corp that was barely able to defend itself has, over the course of the past half-year, evolved into something quite grand. What was (and technically still is) Merch Industrial has become the WANG Alliance. We produce nearly every type of non-capital vessel known to man, and we are on the cusp of massive capital ship production.

WANG currently operates out of two areas. The first is our old dependable fortress in Hoshoun, on the edge of the Amarrian Empire in low-sec. It has a single station which we have practically claimed for our own, abundant belts, good NPC hunting opportunities, fairly fast access to one of the game's best market hubs, and close proximity to some of the staunchest allies we've ever had.

The second area is the Scalding Pass, an area deep in 0.0 space. We have mining access in that area of space and have the assistance of another, very large alliance that you may have heard about. We provide them, currently, chiefly with materials refined from interstellar ices and assist them in combat operations, and in return we can inhabit their space.

Either area can be dangerous for a new player, but with a bit of readily available assistance from older members you can be on the way to massive profit in no time.

To join, first inquire about membership on the PennyArcade channel and let us know you are coming. Then, make your way down to one of the following systems and apply:

Hoshoun VII - Moon 17 - Imperial Armaments Warehouse (Headquarters)
Kor-Azor Prime IV (Eclipticum) - Moon Griklaeum - Ishukone Corporation Factory
Ishisomo VIII - Propel Dynamics Factory
Slays V - Moon 1 - Ducia Foundry Mineral Reserve
Mista V - Moon 4 - Ishukone Corporation Factory

The remainder of this OP is borrowed from SpaceDrake's excellent OP in the previous thread. It contains media and starting information for the game.
SpaceDrake wrote: »
mrchi%20fleet.jpg
The Wangfleet moves out to glorious slaughter. Props to Marius Duvall for the image.

20060410024348uj9.jpg

Sweet god, those are pretty screenshots... but does the game look that nice in motion?

You bet your ass. We have a variety of movies for your perusal; to download them, right-click and "save as". You'll have to rename the file from "default.asp"; do so.

Pretty much the penultimate EVE Online trailer is available here:

EVE Never Fades

The short trailer for the most recent expansion is here:

EVE Online: Revelations

Finally, an older trailer which also gives a decent idea of the scope of EVE (although the interface shown in the video is hideously out of date) is available here:

The Caldari Outlaw

By the way: all footage, with the exception of the painting at the start of EVE Never Fades, is from the game client. All models, all lighting, everything. All of those shots are 100% possible in-game. And will run on computers 4 years old.

And it's only going to get better.

Demonstration video for the new ship graphics coming in Revelations part 3

So I'd like to play... What do I do?

Free fourteen day trials are available by clicking this sentence. No emailing other members necessary, no credit card necessary.

Creating a new character may be a little overwhelming at first. Attributes are important only for decreasing the amount of time a particular skill trains. So, if Perception is high, training for flying space ships finishes faster. A plan many like is to average all attributes besides Charisma, because Charisma is only useful to a particular sub-set of players (i.e. mission runners and fleet leaders). This will create a balanced character that doesn't take too long to train anything.

There are 4 races to choose from and have no difference besides starting attributes, skills, and portrait. (As of Revelations, they also have some different starting skills but these don't tend to vary too wildly; a summary of starting skills for "starter professions" can be found here.) Note that any character can fly any ship of any race, but each race's type of ships are described below.

Amarr - Lasers and armor tank (with a few ships specializing in drones). Lasers do not require ammo, but use crystals which can be quickly swapped for different optimal ranges. Lasers do EM/Thermal damage (which has some difficulties against armor tanks), but have the best range-to-DPS ratio in the game, with Pulse Lasers being the second most powerful guns in the game. Most Amarr ships have few mid slots for EW (Electronic Warfare), but huge racks of low-slots for massive armor defense.
Caldari - Missles, shield tank, and Electronic Counter Measures (Some ships use hybrid turrets). Missles take time to fly to hit their mark, but do static damage of a single type, giving the pilot the ability to choose damage type at will. Also, it is hard to dodge missles. ECM jams the targetted ship's targetting so the jammed ship cannot target anything.
Gallente - Hybrid turrets, drones, armor tank. Hybrid turrets focus on dealing Kinetic/Thermal damage. Railguns are the range option for hybrid guns; Blasters are the most damaging turrets in the game, but have very short range. Drones are like pets that you can control that fly in space and can do various things, including pew mans, jam like ECM, or even repair allies.
Minmatar - Jack of all trades, speedy, projectile turrets and everything else but laser and hybrid turrets. Their ships use different kinds of everything, but they're fast. Artillery projectile turrets are long range snipers that have good alpha strike but deal poor damage over time. Autocannons are short-range guns like Blasters that don't have quite the DPS of blasters, but with a bit of skill and rig trickery can vastly outrange other "short" guns. Also, projectile ammo varies on both range and damage type together; a smart Minmatar pilot can be hard to predict, damage-wise.

So you've decided to play. Remember the following, regardless of anything else:

Do the tutorial. It's long, but well worth the effort. The game is complex and overwhelming, the tutorial helps to teach a lot of the game mechanics.

Wow, that's a lot to think about. Anything else?

Nope. Just remember one thing:

You don't have to read this thread from start to finish and don't be afraid to ask questions!

And with that, gentlemen and ladies:

MAEK POAST!

DO IT FUCK

Monoxide on

• Options
    deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    mono fix the op, lv is dead fag

deadtear on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ugh, I'm not rewriting that I just copied it from the old thread.

edit: Better?

Monoxide on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    deadtear what the fuck are you doing in that cymoro thread

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    deadtear what the fuck are you doing in that cymoro thread

what am i doing what now? the welcome to lotka.org thing?

deadtear on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yeah, the thing where everyone's post is :commissar: on the first three pages

edit- quoting for new thread:
    siddylol.PNG

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    edited

deadtear on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yeah, the thing where everyone's post is :commissar: on the first three pages

:commissar: and Welcome to lotka.org, I was bored.

deadtear on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    deadtear wrote: »
    edited

No dissenting.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Please no! I don't want to get back into this game. I suck so hard at it yet I love it so much. ITS TEARING ME APART!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    edited

No dissenting.

Let someone else write the OP cause you suck at it

deadtear on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    Please no! I don't want to get back into this game. I suck so hard at it yet I love it so much. ITS TEARING ME APART!

doooooooo eeeeeeeeeet

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    edited

No dissenting.

Seriously, do it. PM me an OP and I'll change it. I just took the one from the last thread and put it here because we hit 100 and no one else said anything about making the next one.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    GrenGren Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    death to goonswarm BOB FTW

Gren on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zeni. Carrier jump. Tonight. We're getting all our shit out of the area.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I guffawed heartily at the edits made to Lotka's description, despite not playing the game and only perusing the SA thread and this one once in a while.

[edit] although I am actually quite interested in how LV got booted out of 0.0 so if anyone can summerise it that'd be cool. And I always seem to mispell Lotka.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    leaf wrote: »
    Zeni. Carrier jump. Tonight. We're getting all our shit out of the area.

Sounds like a plan.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    SiddySiddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mandatory BoB propaganda poster, its from last summer, so not up to date. I shuld say, if you dont have dev frends, your titans are small!

Anyhow, ill try to contribute some more 10% furry soon ^^

Siddy on
    Siddy, don't make 650kb gifs your sig, damnit.
    villiage.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    That poster is weak, GoonFleet has much better propaganda posters.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    edited

No dissenting.

Seriously, do it. PM me an OP and I'll change it. I just took the one from the last thread and put it here because we hit 100 and no one else said anything about making the next one.

I dont write. Ask bane to do it. Also hahahaha infraction.

deadtear on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    edited

No dissenting.

I dont write. Ask bane to do it. Also hahahaha infraction.

Don't know about you but I'd rather the op fit on the first page of the thread thanks

Ledneh on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    OP lacks Conan.

I've now got Caldari cruiser and BC up to 5, which is nice. Think i'm gonna work on towards a command ship, why not.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This game terrifies, yet intrigues me.

I sort of want to play. But I am scared of its hugeness. Are there separate EU servers that would mean joining the PA corp would be a no no?

gazamc on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    gazamc wrote: »

I sort of want to play. But I am scared of its hugeness. Are there separate EU servers that would mean joining the PA corp would be a no no?
    EVE is one, huge server with, on average, between 15,000-30,000 people playing simultaneously. Part of its attraction. Joooiinn uuusssss.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

One server, one game world, and it's European heavy, seeing as it's based in Iceland and all.

Efb god damn it

deadtear on
  • Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I played for a small trial a little while back and got scared. Granted that was one of my first MMO experiences. Are there any fancy trials kicking around for fancy lads such as myself?

gazamc on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think that the WANG image in the OP should be replaced with our actual logo that should be going into the game.

WANG.png

rts on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    We used to be all about "let me invite/refer you", but I've never heard of a single freakin' person getting any of the promised "prizes" for referring new players.

So, just go sign up with a new email address.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I played for a small trial a little while back and got scared. Granted that was one of my first MMO experiences. Are there any fancy trials kicking around for fancy lads such as myself?

2 week trials

Use this one, no buddy program crap, but we (as in goonfleet, since I dont think the merch guys have one of these) get a kickback from CCP if you sign up to a full account.

deadtear on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    cakemikz wrote: »
    I think that the WANG image in the OP should be replaced with our actual logo that should be going into the game.

WANG.png

Going for a 60's brit mod feel?

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    leaf wrote: »

WANG.png
    Going for a 60's brit mod feel?
    I like it!

gilrain on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The original goal for me was to get a WW2 fighter plane type logo. Didn't quite get there but I am satisfied.

rts on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The original goal for me was to get a WW2 fighter plane type logo. Didn't quite get there but I am satisfied.
    I haven't been on the internal forums recently -- you made it? Nice work. :^:

gilrain on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

it straight away made me think it'd look neat stamped on the side of your ship.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    So looking at the star map there in the OP, one could easily get a bit intimidated by the size of BoB's controlled territory vs. most others.

Do people really stand a chance of beating them?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So looking at the star map there in the OP, one could easily get a bit intimidated by the size of BoB's controlled territory vs. most others.

They're going to lose. End of story.

deadtear on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I actually mis-read the OP and thought the northern continent was also against the south east :?

So how's them titans holding up

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

There's far more people living in BoB's territory than just BoB, but it's still technically BoB territory as they're BoB pets that pay them billions to live there.

Most of the north is allied and against BoB, and most of the west is allied and against BoB. Not just temporarily, Red Alliance, GoonSwarm, IAC, and Tau Ceti Federation are best buds, same with D2/IRON/FLA/RAZOR/MM. Pretty much everything on that map that isn't under "Band of Brothers" is against them, except the odd useless alliance like YouWhat.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Apparently, using tracking disruptors is "cheating" now. Some people really take a ship loss hard.

Wally on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    OP lacks Conan.

I've now got Caldari cruiser and BC up to 5, which is nice. Think i'm gonna work on towards a command ship, why not.

You probably should train min cruiser V if you actually want a useful command ship :P

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    OP lacks Conan.

You probably should train min cruiser V if you actually want a useful command ship :P

Ditto. Caldari is great for T1 stuff and T2 frigs, but their HACs and command ships aren't that great.

Zenitram on
This discussion has been closed.