As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Iran Response: Missile strikes US Al-Assad, Kirbil base in Iraq pg 90

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Ugh, Trump will is going to tout this "win" til the end of time.

I’m morbidly curious how he’s going to try and one-up both Obama’s Bin Laden announcement and the iconic Situation Room photo.

He's going to push the narrative that Baghdadi was a greater threat/target/trophy than Bin Laden. It's absurd, but so is most anything he says, and 40% of the public will buy it, despite most having no idea who Baghdadi was, until Trump says his name.

As for the Situation Room photo, I can absolutely see him staging one that puts him in a significantly more "powerful" position. Head of the table, flanked by people clearly deferring to him.The Obama one was so powerful because it was candid, a President under pressure, in the moment. Trump can't understand why that's important.

Hopefully the media don't bite down hard on his attempt to influence the narrative.

But I'm not counting on it.

Who called it? You did!
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/27/abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-isis-leader-killed-us-donald-trump

Scroll down a bit for the photo. Clearly super staged, with Trump dead centre flanked by very serious old white men with a low camera angle to make him look more "impressive".

His description of the op is also disgustingly Trumpian:
    The Isis leader died “running into a dead-end tunnel, whimpering and crying and screaming all the way,” he said.

Baghdadi detonated a suicide vest and killed himself and three of his children, Trump said. “He died like a dog, he died like a coward. The world is now a much safer place.”
    “The thug who tried so hard to intimidate others spent his last moments in utter fear, total panic and fear, terrified of the American forces bearing down on him,” Trump said.

He's totally trying to make this a Moment.

My general feeling is it's not going to work. But we'll see.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That's such terribly pathetic phrasing

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm glad though that Trump was golfing when this happened, because nothing says "we totally had everything to do with this" then him being on the links.

The only thing Trump golfing tells us is that the sun was up. Dangerous mission with limited intel? Trump golfing. Total lock mission that we've got 100% under control? Trump golfing. Frankly the generals would probably prefer it that way.

Wasn't Obama at the correspondence dinner during the bin Laden raid? Or was that just the build up?

As far as I'm aware, the photo of Obama in the situation room was actually him in the situation room, during the raid.

You know, like a real president.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    The Obama photo was taken in real time during the raid because Obama gave a shit about how the op went down.

Trump's photo op was staged presumably after they had to tell him who Baghdadi was.

The general in the green knows that photo is bullshit you can see it in his face.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I wonder if you could tell when the picture was actually taken - if they would have left the metadata in it that has the various settings used to take the picture, along with the date and time?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Ugh, Trump will is going to tout this "win" til the end of time.

I’m morbidly curious how he’s going to try and one-up both Obama’s Bin Laden announcement and the iconic Situation Room photo.

He's going to push the narrative that Baghdadi was a greater threat/target/trophy than Bin Laden. It's absurd, but so is most anything he says, and 40% of the public will buy it, despite most having no idea who Baghdadi was, until Trump says his name.

As for the Situation Room photo, I can absolutely see him staging one that puts him in a significantly more "powerful" position. Head of the table, flanked by people clearly deferring to him.The Obama one was so powerful because it was candid, a President under pressure, in the moment. Trump can't understand why that's important.

Hopefully the media don't bite down hard on his attempt to influence the narrative.

But I'm not counting on it.

Who called it? You did!
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/27/abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-isis-leader-killed-us-donald-trump

Scroll down a bit for the photo. Clearly super staged, with Trump dead centre flanked by very serious old white men with a low camera angle to make him look more "impressive".

His description of the op is also disgustingly Trumpian:
    The Isis leader died “running into a dead-end tunnel, whimpering and crying and screaming all the way,” he said.

Baghdadi detonated a suicide vest and killed himself and three of his children, Trump said. “He died like a dog, he died like a coward. The world is now a much safer place.”
    “The thug who tried so hard to intimidate others spent his last moments in utter fear, total panic and fear, terrified of the American forces bearing down on him,” Trump said.

He's totally trying to make this a Moment.

My general feeling is it's not going to work. But we'll see.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible metaphor for the way his presidency has gone?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm glad though that Trump was golfing when this happened, because nothing says "we totally had everything to do with this" then him being on the links.

The only thing Trump golfing tells us is that the sun was up. Dangerous mission with limited intel? Trump golfing. Total lock mission that we've got 100% under control? Trump golfing. Frankly the generals would probably prefer it that way.

Wasn't Obama at the correspondants dinner during the bin Laden raid? Or was that just the build up?

As far as I'm aware, the photo of Obama in the situation room was actually him in the situation room, during the raid.

Yeah I remember that part but there was something about a correspondents dinner too. Or am I misremembering?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2019
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I wonder if you could tell when the picture was actually taken - if they would have left the metadata in it that has the various settings used to take the picture, along with the date and time?

The internet provides. (Tweeter was the official WH photographer for Obama)

Echo on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Trump didn't tweet about the raid until a hour or so after news outlets were reporting on it.

I'm pretty sure he was watching his programs when it was going down.

Probably saw the footage afterwards.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Trump didn't tweet about the raid until a hour or so after news outlets were reporting on it.

Scrolling down in the linked tweet, it sounds like he may have been golfing. See, that's what somebody failed to realize, is that reporters follow his movements all day, every day, whenever possible. So they know whether or not he was in the White House or anywhere near it at the time. Supposedly motorcade didn't arrive back at WH until after four that day.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Wasn't Obama at the correspondants dinner during the bin Laden raid? Or was that just the build up?

Yeah I remember that part but there was something about a correspondents dinner too. Or am I misremembering?

IIRC, the Correspondence Dinner was after the raid had launched, while they were in transit to capture/kill Osama, then he went to the Dinner, did his set, and was back in the Situation Room for the raid itself.

Or possibly, it was the reverse? That the raid happened, he put on his tuxedo, went to the dinner, didn't say anything because it could compromise the exfiltration of the servicemembers, and then went back to the Oval.

EDIT: Also, yay me for predicting a narcistic buffoon was both narcistic, and if the photo metadata is accurate, buffonish. F'n moron.

MorganV on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I’m always suspicious about high-profile killings where the target is said to be responsible for killing children or other civilians in their last moments. Probably never more than now, though.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I’m always suspicious about high-profile killings where the target is said to be responsible for killing children or other civilians in their last moments. Probably never more than now, though.

What, but why would you ever doubt Lying McLiarFace?

Not trying to violate the forum rule on nicknames. Just using it to exemplify that Trump is a massive bullshit artist.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    No one in his base will care that some isis guy was killed because they think trump killed isis 2 years ago

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

IIRC, the Correspondence Dinner was after the raid had launched, while they were in transit to capture/kill Osama, then he went to the Dinner, did his set, and was back in the Situation Room for the raid itself.

Or possibly, it was the reverse? That the raid happened, he put on his tuxedo, went to the dinner, didn't say anything because it could compromise the exfiltration of the servicemembers, and then went back to the Oval.

EDIT: Also, yay me for predicting a narcistic buffoon was both narcistic, and if the photo metadata is accurate, buffonish. F'n moron.

The dinner was the night before the raid.

Wikipedia article on the raid:
    On April 29 at 8:20 a.m. EDT,[63] Obama conferred with his advisers and gave the final go-ahead. The raid would take place the following day. That evening the president was informed that the operation would be delayed one day due to cloudy weather.

On April 30, Obama called McRaven one more time to wish the SEALs well and to thank them for their service.[55] That evening, the President attended the annual White House Correspondent's Association dinner, which was hosted by comedian and television actor Seth Meyers. At one point, Meyers joked: "People think bin Laden is hiding in the Hindu Kush, but did you know that every day from four to five he hosts a show on C-SPAN?" Obama laughed, despite his knowledge of the operation to come.[66]

On May 1 at 1:22 p.m., Panetta, acting on the president's orders, directed McRaven to move forward with the operation. Shortly after 3 p.m., the president joined national security officials in the Situation Room to monitor the raid. They watched night-vision images taken from a Sentinel drone while Panetta, appearing in the corner of the screen from CIA headquarters, narrated what was happening.[59][63] Video links with Panetta at CIA headquarters and McRaven in Afghanistan were set up in the Situation Room. In an adjoining office was the live drone feed presented on a laptop computer operated by Brigadier General Marshall Webb, assistant commander of JSOC.

At 9:45pm the White House announced there would be a presidential address later that evening. The first leaks came out about 45 minutes later at 10:24 pm (and over 7 hours after the raid) and the address was at 11:35 pm.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    No one in his base will care that some isis guy was killed because they think trump killed isis 2 years ago

Why would they think that?

Oh, that's right, because he said so.

But nevermind, his cultists will allow their reality to reshape to whatever Trump said it is.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

The internet provides. (Tweeter was the official WH photographer for Obama)

You know it's a real photo and not staged because no one is talking and everyone is staring directly at the camera lense.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

The internet provides. (Tweeter was the official WH photographer for Obama

You know it's a real photo and not staged because no one is talking and everyone is staring directly at the camera lense.

I mean, it's possible they were sitting in contemplative thought, listening to audio of the event.

And then I remember that Trump can't sit in silence unless it's to listen to adulation, without getting a pissy demeanour that he's not the center of attention.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The way Trump talks about it is so messed up. He talks about watching a guy get killed as if it was something cool he got to watch.

Vox journalist:

Note that you absolutely do not have to hand it to ISIS.

Trump did not tell Pelosi about this because of concerns for leaks despite telling some congressional Republicans about it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I guarantee you he thought it was the coolest shit ever, because he's the fucking worst.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I guarantee you he thought it was the coolest shit ever, because he's the fucking worst.

Do you think he even for a fraction of a second thought about the kids that also died then

(the answer is no)

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    God I forgot about that weird tic of always saying someone did something "like a dog". Dude fucking hates dogs.

I don't think this is going to work very effectively as any sort of a propaganda piece. I remember knowing who Bin Laden was as just sort of a general cultural osmosis. That's not present here, and no part of this looks like it's really anything at all significant. The attempt to frame it as actually even more important than something where many people can legit pinpoint the moment they heard the news isn't going to play.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Trump was also at that correspondents dinner and he was humiliated by Obama (and Seth Meyers who hosted it). It’s supposedly the night Trump decided to run for President in 2016 because of how humiliated he was, so that date is infamous for two reasons.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    God I forgot about that weird tic of always saying someone did something "like a dog". Dude fucking hates dogs.

I don't think this is going to work very effectively as any sort of a propaganda piece. I remember knowing who Bin Laden was as just sort of a general cultural osmosis. That's not present here, and no part of this looks like it's really anything at all significant. The attempt to frame it as actually even more important than something where many people can legit pinpoint the moment they heard the news isn't going to play.

Trump had to give a reason why this was bigger than bin Laden and also he had warned about that bin Laden guy because he is a broken person. I imagine it will get a ton of play by Trump supporters but quickly forgotten about. The Osam bin Laden bump for Obama was itself very temporary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/10/27/bigger-than-bin-laden-striking-things-about-trumps-announcement-that-baghdadi-is-dead/
    Second is the role the Kurds and Russia played.

In the hours before Trump’s news conference, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces said it was a joint operation between them and the United States.

Trump portrayed the U.S.-allied Kurds, who have carried the brunt of the recent U.S. withdrawal from northern Syria and whose value as allies Trump has minimized, as playing more of a bit part.

When Trump initially thanked others, in fact, he mentioned Russia first, then Syria, Turkey and Iraq. He added that there was also “certain support [the Kurds] were able to give us.”

Later, Trump would credit Russia first in the news conference, saying it was “great” and that Iraq was “excellent.”
    “This is the biggest one perhaps that we’ve ever captured,” Trump said Sunday, early in the question-and-answer portion of the news conference.

Later, he added: “This is the biggest there is. This is the worst ever. Osama bin Laden was big, but Osama bin Laden became big with the World Trade Center. This is a man who built a whole, as he would like to call it, a country."

Trump also returned to his wildly exaggerated claim that he had warned people about a bin Laden attack in a book a year before the Sept. 11, 2001, strikes. One line about that showed just how much credit Trump intends on taking for all this in the days and months ahead.

“I don’t get any credit for” the bin Laden warnings, he said. “But that’s okay. I never do. But here we are.”

Couscous on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

I'm 99.99% certain he was out golfing, because he said he sent out his "something big" tweet so the media wouldn't be out golfing while this was going down and Donald Trump is basically all projection.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I mean, the news outlets over this side of the Atlantic are reporting that Baghdadi detonated a suicide vest as soon as the soldiers reached him, so... what the fuck was Trump watching? Did they shove on a Rambo movie and tell him that was the raid or something?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Do you think he even for a fraction of a second thought about the kids that also died then

(the answer is no)

Disagree. He said they were Baghdadi's children, and way back as a candidate he argued for the execution of families of terrorists, so, promises kept.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The wording Trump used "chased by dogs", "died like a coward" is intentionally aimed at ISIS/ISIL supporters to try to shame. But of course, since he blew himself up, that makes him a martyr. I totally expect to see a large terrorist incident somewhere in response.

• Options

(the answer is no)

Only because it didn't make Ivana sad.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The wording Trump used "chased by dogs", "died like a coward" is intentionally aimed at ISIS/ISIL supporters to try to shame. But of course, since he blew himself up, that makes him a martyr. I totally expect to see a large terrorist incident somewhere in response.

Good thing ISIS soldiers are safely locked oh

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

This would have more weight if:

1. Bush hadn't actually officially stopped the search for bin laden (he did)
    2. Obama's campaign promises didn't include restarting the search for him (he did)
    Trump was also at that correspondents dinner and he was humiliated by Obama (and Seth Meyers who hosted it). It’s supposedly the night Trump decided to run for President in 2016 because of how humiliated he was, so that date is infamous for two reasons.

I think this is more of a wives tale, but we all definitely built it up as going to be the hilarious reason why the republican party would collapse upon itself when trump lost.

Maybe I am just a conspiracy theorist in the end, but how do you DNA test (besides what are you matching it to?), the remains in an explosion that includes the remains of several other people? Seems like a prime way to disguise your own death if he did it before they got to him.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    As a reminder, we thought we got Baghdadi with a missle strike like... a year ago? Maybe 8 months? Time doesn't work anymore.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Unless it’s an explosion large enough to completely shred a person beyond total recognition, it’s typically easy enough to tell what remains belong to what person after a suicide vest. It takes a lot of energy to do that, we’re talking car bomb size to rip a person apart like that.

Suicide vests are not that powerful, Hollywood makes them look stronger than they are. It’ll still kill you though, obviously.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

I'm 99.99% certain he was out golfing, because he said he sent out his "something big" tweet so the media wouldn't be out golfing while this was going down and Donald Trump is basically all projection.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1188485383144783877

Caroline Orr is a journalist for the National Observer, a Canadian news organization.

Technically, it seems he was traveling back from golf while the raid happened. And then staged the photo.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Saying people did something “like a dog” is also the most common way Trump describes the actions of anyone he doesn’t like.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Saying people did something “like a dog” is also the most common way Trump describes the actions of anyone he doesn’t like.

Also, "like Babies"

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    As a reminder, we thought we got Baghdadi with a missle strike like... a year ago? Maybe 8 months? Time doesn't work anymore.

Dude seemed to have 9 lives. He was supposedly dead multiple times from missile and air strikes since like 2016.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So from his comments, it's also pretty clear that Trump has no idea who Osama bin Laden was.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »

Caroline Orr is a journalist for the National Observer, a Canadian news organization.

Technically, it seems he was traveling back from golf while the raid happened. And then staged the photo.

Tweet disappeared.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »

And this is your friendly reminder to please copy/paste tweet bodies to ensure people know what you are talking about, since it looks like the original tweet has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.