As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Network port kaboodle

misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Trying to get open canvas to work over the internet (it's an art program)
I know that I need to be able to allow ports 9000 and 9001 to be forwarded.

finally managed to access my routers options. got to the screen I want to go to, entered the port range as 9000-9001 then theres 2 dialog boxes saying "translate to" and "trigger port" which I don't know what to write in them.

Also I'm guessing that it's TCP that i need?

thanks alot

EDIT: it's a BT home hub btw

APTBSsig.jpg
misosoup on

• Options
    MegalodonMegalodon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What exactly is it you're trying to do? I'm not familiar with the operation you're talking about. Are you trying to use open canvas locally, but you need it to access something over the internet? However, it is most likely TCP. Most routers I've worked with have the option of selecting both protocols, and I do this when in doubt.

Try typing the number of the port you're forwarding into the "translate to" field and leaving the "trigger port" field blank. Also, you're not putting 9000 and 9001 as the range right? Each one should be entered seperately.

Megalodon on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I stumbled upon something called "static IP" rather than "Dynamic IP", do I need to set this up before using my router to forward these ports?

what I'm trying to do is setup a network drawing application, so my friend can access the drawing software from his house, we managed to get it to work when he was on my wireless network. Obviously he has the software, it's just so we can draw together over the internet, rather that on my wireless. We're using OC 1.1

on the Bt Home Hub config page, when entering the IP range there is two boxes 'xxxxx' to 'xxxxx' where I'm entering '9000' to '9001' so they're not in the same box

Also do you know what UPnP and extended security are? The descriptions on the config are extremely ambiguous
    thanks

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    MegalodonMegalodon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Static IP versus dynamic IP is the how your router assigns IP addresses to devices on its network. Static IPs are defined by the user and allow you to have a consistent IP address of your choosing. A dynamic IP is automatically assigned by the router every time your computer signs on to the network. This is important for port forwarding because you're forwarding those ports to a specific device on the network; namely, your computer. Were you asked to specify which network device you were making configurations for at some point?

As for what you're trying to do, it seems to me like you're trying to create a virtual local area network. Essentially it's like when your friend was on your wireless network, only across the internet instead, a "virtual" local network. I'm still not understanding exactly what it is you're doing though; obviously you've had some guidance, or you wouldn't know what ports to forward. What software are you using to make OC a network application?

This is what your configuration looks like, right?

prtfrwrd2.GIF

uPnP is pretty irrelevant. The PnP stands for plug and play, like a plug and play monitor--you plug it in and it works, no configuration necessary. In this case it refers to network devices. It's a protocol that automatically locates and includes network devices onto your network. As for extended security, I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds pretty self explanatory...I doubt it has much to do with your issue.

Megalodon on