As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Rennervations

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Art isn’t real. It doesn’t exist and nothing is it.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Why is plain fresh white rice so good?
    Carbs. Delicious carbs.

That may be my low-carb diabetic brain talking.

People will take rice from my cold dead hands.

I also remember my first trip to Japan and the grandmother being so excited I kept finishing my rice and asking for more.

That's what my dad said.

His diabetes has gotten worse since then. He's on insulin multiple times a day now.

:(

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    It's ok if you don't like what other people call "high art" or whatever. It's ok if you prefer more straightforward storytelling and simpler plots and you don't find movies that require a lot of interpretation and introspection to be enjoyable.

But c'mon let's not act like ultra glossy, focus group tested, crowd pleasing, commercially-driven marvel superhero productions are thinky pieces of art so that you don't feel bad about your preferences in media.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    It's ok if you don't like what other people call "high art" or whatever. It's ok if you prefer more straightforward storytelling and simpler plots and you don't find movies that require a lot of interpretation and introspection to be enjoyable.

But c'mon let's not act like ultra glossy, focus group tested, crowd pleasing, commercially-driven marvel superhero productions are thinky pieces of art so that you don't feel bad about your preferences in media.

I don’t agree with the idea that there are levels of art ranging in value. It’s like saying people have calculable value/worth and I don’t like it on a visceral level. That is all.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Nyancat 10 hour loop is art.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Nyancat 10 hour loop is fart.

BOOM.

Gottem.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

BOOM.

Gottem.

Dadaist masterpiece of a post.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

BOOM.

Gottem.

Roasted

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Reposting every marvel movie speech to Hans Zimmers's "Time" and no I won't learn volume mixing fuck off

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Artist lady really likes burgers. This is like the third burger I have seen her eat on the show.

She continues to be the cutest of the ladies.

weoxznjjc0u1.png

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Though there was a doorman at a building in ChicGo who was an older black dude with Jheri curls, A brown jacket, tasteful jewelry, and a vibe that screamed 70s so loudly that it was deafening. He was drinking a beer from a glass with the bottle in his hand that he was pouring into, and was one of the happiest people I may have ever met in my life. I interacted with him three times and every single time was a blessing. I heard Morris Day and the Time every time he arrived and my soul lifted.

Maybe Chicago isn’t all bad.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

Yep. I don’t like seeing people get hurt. This was unpleasant.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I.

I dont feel bad for my preferences.

Thinking someone should because they dont like what rich folk push off as high art is toxic.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I imagine there was a surge in fruit-fucking after Ca-
    -ll Me By Your Name
    came out

wandering on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    wandering on
  • Options
    wandering wrote: »
    I imagine there was a surge in fruit-fucking after C
    all Me By Your Name
    came out
    Vitamin C, if you will.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I don’t agree with the idea that there are levels of art ranging in value. It’s like saying people have calculable value/worth and I don’t like it on a visceral level. That is all.

it's nothing whatsoever like saying people have a calculable value, nor does it attempt to quantify the value of art either, in a moral or monetary sense.

at best, there is an extremely fuzzy, qualitative threshold by which art critics, in aggregate, come to agreement about which works are some combination of affecting, thought provoking, important in the context of society.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

it's nothing whatsoever like saying people have a calculable value, nor does it attempt to quantify the value of art either, in a moral or monetary sense.

at best, there is an extremely fuzzy, qualitative threshold by which art critics, in aggregate, come to agreement about which works are some combination of affecting, thought provoking, important in the context of society.

Where do blurry grey and purple subway fights fit in here?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Golf/Driver lady looks like my co-worker. My brain just realized it. Similar facial build. Missing the tattoos though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    You all misunderstand

Marvel films aren’t cinemas
    It's true that Disney at least doesn't all the cinemas

for now

• Options
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Had a huge discussion in the office about non compete clauses and shock of shocks most people in my office are perfectly fine with them. DOWN WITH CAPITALISM!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Had a huge discussion in the office about non compete clauses and shock of shocks most people in my office are perfectly fine with them. DOWN WITH CAPITALISM!

face eating jaguars, my face ,etc.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Art is informed by life experiences, and there's a reason for the massive divide between what art critics and connoisseurs consider impactful and what coal mining shlubs like myself find impactful.

These people often lived charmed lives, I do not. Their agreement is an agreement of people that live so far above me that I cannot even imagine what it would be like.

So I don't take their consensus seriously, and I really don't care what is academically sound as "impactful" to society because most of the people making the decision on what's impactful just barely live in society.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Lol Scorsese not liking super hero movies is the least surprising thing imaginable

I think it was more beyond disliking them, he claims they aren't cinema, and that's just dick bagery.

I mean I think hes talking about it as a term of art and well....hes kinda right?

Theyre junk food, and thats fine, but it is what it is.

I mean

If I give a shit about the characters on screen and I enjoy whats happening and there's emotional resonance, then I think it's worthwhile art. For me.

I don't accept the "it's crap but i like it lol" or "GUILTY PLEASURE" excuses people feel the need to make because peer pressure dictates they do so.

*steps off soap box*

I mean he called them Theme Parks. I dont' even think that's a particularly strong insult of any kind.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Oh man making plans with one girl but the other says, "I am taking a bath" and walks away and you check out her butt. Smooth move bro. Smooth move.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Is that how jerry curls is spelled? As someone who’s read countless Elmore Leonard books, I feel I should have known this already.

• Options

Where do blurry grey and purple subway fights fit in here?

raw, real, cinema veritas. we all shout worldstar in our own way. we are all complicit. turn the mirror on society.

high art

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I think its kind of silly to defend marvel movies as like an every man blue collar cultural thing.

Theyre carefully crafted, often propagandistic, films mass produced by one of the largest companies on earth for the purpose of hording more wealth and finally killing god.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Like it was a whole lot of "this isn't our issue, we shouldn't get involved" and like what was infuriating is like our states AG recently won a case against I think Jimmy Johns about non compete clauses! Like there is recent case law that said they are bad and people just accepted they were legal when they fucking weren't.

And like people are defending a tech bro fuck you "we're disrupting shit!" company because reasons? Like I continue to be mystified about how people are ok with business juggernauts bullying people from making a living because they once worked there!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think its kind of silly to defend marvel movies as kike an every man blue collar cultural thing.

Theyre carefully crafted, often propagandistic, films mass produced by one of the largest companies on earth for the purpose of hording more wealth and finally killing god.

Is there an artform any more worthy of the title?

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Someone do the lady yelling at the cat sitting at the table picture but with Scorsese as the cat I guess.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Why do I have to pee right as its time to leave, every time?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    the calvin and hobbes comic where calvin declares what is high and low art is still one of my favorites.

• Options

Like it was a whole lot of "this isn't our issue, we shouldn't get involved" and like what was infuriating is like our states AG recently won a case against I think Jimmy Johns about non compete clauses! Like there is recent case law that said they are bad and people just accepted they were legal when they fucking weren't.

And like people are defending a tech bro fuck you "we're disrupting shit!" company because reasons? Like I continue to be mystified about how people are ok with business juggernauts bullying people from making a living because they once worked there!

But if corporate pofit seeking is a moral imperative then necessarily every other moral consideration must bend around that!

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Was going to plan to play some 40k Sunday and then my friends were like, "let's go hang out!"

*sigh*

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I don't especially feel a need to defend the MCU as art even though it is. I enjoyed reading and performing The Bald Soprano and it is clearly art but the two are not dissimilar in that they seek to encapsulate and express emotion and do so excellently.

That Endgame does it with hope and joy and awe while Soprano does it with an unsettling and diaconnecting confusion does not make one art and the other fluff.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.