Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

All Chromium Browsers Crash At Printer Dialog

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
Here's a new one:

At some point in the last few weeks, printing to my wireless network printer, a very average HP OfficeJet 6970, causes all Chromium browsers to crash at the printer selection screen, upon choosing it.

(By "all" I mean the three I tested--Vivaldi, Chrome itself, and the Edge Chromium beta.)

Every other program can print over my network. Every non-Chromium browser (like Edge or Internet Explorer) can too. It's just the magic of crashy Chromium. Reinstalling said browsers obviously did not work. Nor did reinstalling said printer after wiping the drivers. The printer does seem like the culprit--if it hadn't been updated recently, and if everything else had no issues seeing it. I'm short of USB ports as it is, hence the need for wireless printing. I can print everything as a PDF, and use Acrobat Reader to print because it doesn't suck and crash, but that's an extra step I'd like to avoid.

Anyone else run into this? It's almost a common issue on Chrome forums, but the answer seems to be "Yeah, we don't know what's wrong. Try deleting Chrome's folder in AppData and maybe it'll help. Or not. Who knows."

Orca wrote: »
Synthesis wrote:
Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
Synthesis on

Posts

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Download Revo Uninstaller and try to rip Chrome out by the roots. Do the same with everything involving the HP printer. Then download the 64-bit chrome and use the HP Smart app to add the printer back to the system.

    Then hope for the best.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 5
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Download Revo Uninstaller and try to rip Chrome out by the roots. Do the same with everything involving the HP printer. Then download the 64-bit chrome and use the HP Smart app to add the printer back to the system.

    Then hope for the best.

    Doesn't sound like it'll work, but Revo Uninstaller sounds like a handy tool. I don't have a brutish uninstalling program presently, because Windows 10 is good about that. And there's barely any software for the printer anyway.

    Chromium: Still Crashy, just the way you remember it. It's going to kind of suck if I somehow fix this for Chrome (which I don't use) but not Vivaldi (which I do). Fortunately, it probably won't come to that, and everything will just stay crashy.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The difference is that Revo will actively scan the system for any remnants of the programs and remove them. This includes temporary files and registry keys. The latter is where I usually have trouble with printers.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The difference is that Revo will actively scan the system for any remnants of the programs and remove them. This includes temporary files and registry keys. The latter is where I usually have trouble with printers.

    I gathered. Did not work, as expected, and I was more than aggressive (I even actively reinstalled all related programs just to wipe out the traces).

    Vivaldi (and Chrome, etc.) are just crashing when they try and access my particular networked printer. It's a semi-common issue, the solution being "Eh, try deleting some files. But it'll come back."

    It was worth a try. Did some house cleaning for fragments of Chrome left over.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    After getting the browsers to not crash, briefly, when selecting my printer (then they crash later), I decided on a a more permanent solution: uninstalling my Chromium browsers and using Firefox. That leaves me with Edge for backup, which doesn't crash (hopefully by the time Microsoft completely replaces it with Edge Chromium, this issue is fixed).

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Does Chrome/Vivaldi do an ESR release like Firefox? If they do that might give you a few months leeway for the upstream to fix the issue.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Does Chrome/Vivaldi do an ESR release like Firefox? If they do that might give you a few months leeway for the upstream to fix the issue.

    No idea. Is that some sort of early preview version? The issue is found in other versions going back a few years, so I doubt that would help. If it hits you, it hits you, and that's about it.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • JazzJazz Un-UKRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    After getting the browsers to not crash, briefly, when selecting my printer (then they crash later), I decided on a a more permanent solution: uninstalling my Chromium browsers and using Firefox. That leaves me with Edge for backup, which doesn't crash (hopefully by the time Microsoft completely replaces it with Edge Chromium, this issue is fixed).

    One of us, one of us

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    After getting the browsers to not crash, briefly, when selecting my printer (then they crash later), I decided on a a more permanent solution: uninstalling my Chromium browsers and using Firefox. That leaves me with Edge for backup, which doesn't crash (hopefully by the time Microsoft completely replaces it with Edge Chromium, this issue is fixed).

    One of us, one of us

    I mean, it's not great so far. Leave it alone for 20 minutes and it hangs (and frequently crashes) when you return. I turned off hardware acceleration, hoping that helps.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    After getting the browsers to not crash, briefly, when selecting my printer (then they crash later), I decided on a a more permanent solution: uninstalling my Chromium browsers and using Firefox. That leaves me with Edge for backup, which doesn't crash (hopefully by the time Microsoft completely replaces it with Edge Chromium, this issue is fixed).

    One of us, one of us

    I mean, it's not great so far. Leave it alone for 20 minutes and it hangs (and frequently crashes) when you return. I turned off hardware acceleration, hoping that helps.

    Firefox is crashing too? Like, in general?

    Sounds like it's fresh install time.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Jazz
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 9
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    After getting the browsers to not crash, briefly, when selecting my printer (then they crash later), I decided on a a more permanent solution: uninstalling my Chromium browsers and using Firefox. That leaves me with Edge for backup, which doesn't crash (hopefully by the time Microsoft completely replaces it with Edge Chromium, this issue is fixed).

    One of us, one of us

    I mean, it's not great so far. Leave it alone for 20 minutes and it hangs (and frequently crashes) when you return. I turned off hardware acceleration, hoping that helps.

    Firefox is crashing too? Like, in general?

    Sounds like it's fresh install time.

    Except Firefox is known to crash in this (it's a pretty common issue, that's how I got found the solution). Edge never crashes, and Vivaldi doesn't hang when left idle even overnight (only when you try and print something).

    Plus, you know, "hangs after hybrid sleep" is different than "crashes upon printing".

    EDIT: Firefox, at least for me, is also less snappy and responsive than Vivaldi or Edge, but I think this might be by design (it has a smaller memory footprint at least compared to Vivaldi).

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • JazzJazz Un-UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 9
    I honestly cannot remember the last time Firefox hung or crashed on me. It's likely years.

    I leave it idle for a couple of hours or more fairly often and it is always - and I do mean always - just fine when I come back to it. Multiple tabs and often multiple windows. No problems going in or out of sleep mode either.

    Jazz on
    BahamutZERO
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 9
    Jazz wrote: »
    I honestly cannot remember the last time Firefox hung or crashed on me. It's likely years.

    I leave it idle for a couple of hours or more fairly often and it is always - and I do mean always - just fine when I come back to it. Multiple tabs and often multiple windows. No problems going in or out of sleep mode either.


    It's been a common issue in the past too, though efforts were made to address it. There could be any number of causes--they just don't effect Edge (not surprising, given its relative simplicity and design for Windows 10).

    Considering nothing like it happens in any other browser...yeah, I don't think reinstalling Windows 10 is the correct approach. Ironically, I actually performed an in-place Windows 10 upgrade pretty recently too.

    EDIT: Turning off Hybrid Sleep mode seemed to address the issue--and with hardware acceleration on it's snappier. That's good!

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited October 9
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    Does Chrome/Vivaldi do an ESR release like Firefox? If they do that might give you a few months leeway for the upstream to fix the issue.

    No idea. Is that some sort of early preview version? The issue is found in other versions going back a few years, so I doubt that would help. If it hits you, it hits you, and that's about it.

    It's an Extended Security Release. Basically it's a version where they lock the functionality to a specific patch number and only provide security updates. Then every 6 months they patch the functionality up to the current mainline version.

    There's been a couple times where it's been really useful for me. I also just plain like the idea of separating security patches from functionality patches.

    Carpy on
    Zilla360
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    Does Chrome/Vivaldi do an ESR release like Firefox? If they do that might give you a few months leeway for the upstream to fix the issue.

    No idea. Is that some sort of early preview version? The issue is found in other versions going back a few years, so I doubt that would help. If it hits you, it hits you, and that's about it.

    It's an Extended Security Release. Basically it's a version where they lock the functionality to a specific patch number and only provide security updates. Then every 6 months they patch the functionality up to the current mainline version.

    There's been a couple times where it's been really useful for me. I also just plain like the idea of separating security patches from functionality patches.

    Even if that didn't help, that would also be a nice option for Vivaldi--I really should've disabled updated months ago, getting two patches a week multiple weeks in a row got old fast.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 10
    Disabling hybrid sleep mode did fix the hanging issues--with hardware acceleration too, FF feels much snappier and more responsive in general.

    Now I just need to come up with a good solution to the "Firefox is already running, but is not responding." issue (another common minor issue that has a few solutions)

    On the bright side, 1Password's old extension works much better with Firefox than Vivaldi.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So, a late yesterday Vivaldi decided to let me generate print previews (probably the cause of the crashing) without a crash to desktop.

    Fuck you, Chromium.

    That being said, once I ironed out the bugs and got used to the changes, I'm glad I acclimated myself to Firefox after having stopped using it back in university. I'll probably keep it as an option in case this same stupid shit happens again.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
    Zilla360
Sign In or Register to comment.