Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Rod Fergusson, studio head over at The Coalition, is leaving to join Blizzard on Diablo IV. Since I like both Gears of War and Diablo franchises, and one of these is realistically on much shakier ground the other, I wish him the best of luck and look forward to his next work.

Fergusson was with Gears of War since the beginning. Given Gears 5's near universal acclaim (even with its grindy-grindy multiplayer skins) and the change in story narrative, he's leaving it in good shape. Reception to what little we know about Diablo IV seem pretty positive so far, but Blizzard is definitely in a much rougher spot by comparison.

this seems like it got buried there, but yeah pretty big news.

a good time to leave in terms of Gears stuff. Gears 5 is out and no doubt has its future mapped out for the foreseeable. Tactics is getting close to release so is most likely all locked in and just getting final touches, fixes and polish. Gears 6 is concept phase at best and the studio seems to be in a good place to forward without Rod.

do wonder what it will mean for the Diablo franchise though. Blizzard have said that 4 is a ways off, but they also said it was being built for Xbox One and PS4 rather than highlighting next gen hardware so maybe not as far off as some folks think. and its also a hell of a time to be joining Blizzard, who can't seem to do anything right at the moment. at least in fans eyes anyway.

wish him the best but yeah, that's a hell of a move.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    TBF, pretty much anything that would be imported from China, built using Chinese manufactured parts, or Chinese labor/skills is probably going to get delayed due to fears around the virus... factories and workplaces would be an easy place to spread the virus. Business thingers have been worried about it for a few weeks now.

Also, apparently ghost transfers is a known issue with the xbox transfer tool and multiple external drives.

If they're worried, they're just gonna let the merch sit for 2 weeks so the virus dies off before it gets anywhere. It won't be a significant delay.

It's more that the people who are doing the work won't be able to. Factories and workplaces are being shut down to limit the spread.

While credible sources are putting the death toll at ~600 to date, there are non-credible sources saying that the toll is closer to 25,000, based off a screen cap from Tencent's coronavirus tracker site. It's probably higher, but at the same time... we don't know for sure.

The image is quoted and referenced in other places too: News.com.au, but not much traction has been given to the idea in other places.

edit: Really wish all the sites telling people to cover their face when coughing or sneezing would also add the instruction to not cough or sneeze into your hands. Use a tissue, hanky or your sleeve. You might as well not even bother to cover your face if you're doing it into your hands because you're just swabbing disease onto all the surfaces you touch after.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Well hell why not, I've been looking to get into some Final Fantasy 15.

It's a huge amount of game even at $60, and it still looks damn good. Hopefully you enjoy it, I know I have, or I wouldn't have clocked dozen of hours in the end game alone.

Just started it and it's hooked me in ways other FF's haven't since 8. And you weren't joking on size, it took 5 minutes for all the "DLC is ready" popups to clear the screen upon installation.

Been playing it using xCloud console streaming still (getting the most out of the beta) and this is kind of the way I want to play shit from now on? Like, I bought a bigscreen TV for my gaming area, but the kitchen table is just a cozier venue?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    the best part of the FFXV DLC isn't the DLCs, it's that it adds the ability to play as your party members in the main game and they have completely different combat mechanics, it's cool
    Gladiolus is a big big sword boy, Prompto is a third-person shooter, and Ignis dashes all over the place with tons of crazy attacks

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Youngblood being on gamepass is perfect. Love the new Wolfenstein but didn't want to buy that one. Maybe my son will play through it with me before the ultimate sub on our 2nd xbox runs out in march

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Having been in Taiwan in early 2003 (the height of SARS), it's hard for me to worry that much about the Coronavirus, or at least any more than I worry about the flu every year. I could just be deluding myself. My mother has been in Taiwan for weeks for the Lunar New Year, where it's more of an inconvenience than anything else. I'm sure I'd feel different if she were in China itself or especially in a heavily affected area.
    Well hell why not, I've been looking to get into some Final Fantasy 15.

It's a huge amount of game even at $60, and it still looks damn good. Hopefully you enjoy it, I know I have, or I wouldn't have clocked dozen of hours in the end game alone.

Just started it and it's hooked me in ways other FF's haven't since 8. And you weren't joking on size, it took 5 minutes for all the "DLC is ready" popups to clear the screen upon installation.

Been playing it using xCloud console streaming still (getting the most out of the beta) and this is kind of the way I want to play shit from now on? Like, I bought a bigscreen TV for my gaming area, but the kitchen table is just a cozier venue?

Yeah, as bizarro as the plot turns even after patching (though I still sort of enjoy it, and it doesn't seem so out of place alongside "he's a dream of a dream of a dream in a dream" of FFX, for example), I still thing it's a tremendous amount of game, with a certain majestic beauty that more sterile urban-setting open-world games are sometimes lacking (though a lot of facilitated by massive stretches of empty space with not much in them).

And I'm still pretty terrible at the combat. I just try and mash my way through it after being substantially over-leveled. I frequently forget that you can switch between characters, as @Crippl3 pointed out.

There are plenty of questions I wish were answered (like learning more about Iedolas), but (maybe on account of having not played it before the substantial late-game patch), I'm generally happy with how the plot has panned out thusfar, and it hasn't diminished my considerable enjoyment of the game itself.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Remembered it was Friday. Launched PSO 2. Servers aren't up until 5. I am sads now

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Could be worse: it's after 5:00 PM here. :pop:

Hrm. switching physical order of drives plugged in didn't work either. I guess the license for the game attaches to a given source drive, and only a move will update it?

edit: "Worse" in this case is the server has been full and not being able to even get to/through character creation. ha.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Beta must be getting hammered. Everything is loading slow. Got as far as character creation screen before getting disconnected .

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Beta must be getting hammered. Everything is loading slow. Got as far as character creation screen before getting disconnected .

Yeah I've been having lots of issues with doing anything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I was actually creating a character when I got dc this last time.

• Options
    lol, that happened to me the last time I got DC'd too.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I was actually on loading my character when it dc'd me and then they took the servers down.

So probably not playing till late tonight if at all.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Looks like all servers are down for maintenance.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Maybe since Xbox isn’t big in Japan, they weren’t expecting huge numbers? But the insider program Beta sign ups should have given them an exact number to expect. Not really seeing an actual excuse here. Hopefully things are down to account for the response.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Maybe since Xbox isn’t big in Japan, they weren’t expecting huge numbers? But the insider program Beta sign ups should have given them an exact number to expect. Not really seeing an actual excuse here. Hopefully things are down to account for the response.

It's funny, because I associate the Dreamcast more with the OXbox than any other console, so it only seems natural people who are nostalgic for the first one would be Xbox fans

• Options
    edited February 2020
    There is a Phantasy Star Online 2 anime that's ongoing right now, and it's a continuation of the one from a few years back... that's probably why they have a lot more players than expected.

If the servers are down, I just wonder if they are going to extend their beta to give people a chance to get those items?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Looks like all servers are down for maintenance.

I can't connect to anything on PC. The Windows Store, the XBOX console app, the game pass games - I was afraid I had a virus and I can't even update Windows Defender.

• Options
    Oh, yeah, PSO2. I should check it. I just 1000/1000 Wandersong. It's a very charming, musical sort-of game.

I doubt it's Japan (or the East Asia region), seeing how the game has already been on console there for some time.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    The Kingdom Hearts compilation featuring the first two KH games and spinoffs has it's Microsoft Store page up at the moment. It's about 57GB in size.

• Options
    There is a Phantasy Star Online 2 anime that's ongoing right now, and it's a continuation of the one from a few years back... that's probably why they have a lot more players than expected.

If the servers are down, I just wonder if they are going to extend their beta to give people a chance to get those items?

Yeah servers are still down, and there was a time limited quest that started 5 minutes ago.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    That's disappointing. On the other hand, this is what betas are for.

• Options
    Yeah, but that Dreamcast Mag man, think of the Mag.

• Options

I guess I could feel more for "that's beta" if this isn't an older like existing game. This is like if blizzard put wow on consoles and had server crashs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Preacher wrote: »

I guess I could feel more for "that's beta" if this isn't an older like existing game. This is like if blizzard put wow on consoles and had server crashs.

They almost certainly would. In fact, it'd be harder to picture it not happening. And this is the first time the system is up on Xbox Live--I know there was issues when it was launching on PS4 in Japan, but only by reputation.

I hope it gets ironed out, I would like that mag. But this isn't a "preview demo for cool dudes," it's them running the system to see how many things go wrong. Possibly all things.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    so... it ever come back up?

• Options
    so... it ever come back up?

Nope. I've given up on it tonight

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Came up, got in and started to screw around with character creation but too sleepy, will dick around with it later.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »

It's funny, because I associate the Dreamcast more with the OXbox than any other console, so it only seems natural people who are nostalgic for the first one would be Xbox fans

I will freely admit that I gravitated to the Xbox because the controller had proper analog triggers like the DC had.

• Options
    It’s up now. They either made a big change or there’s less people on since everything is loading much faster than it was earlier.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, I finally got in, got to finish making my character, and start playing a bit. This is my first MMO, so some stuff is new to me.

One thing is the Clear the Forest quest. I finished that with an S-rank, but it's still active?

I was surprised the first Urgent Quest requires you to be at Level 20. Is it reasonable to expect people to go up 20 levels in just three hours (when it was first supposed to be held after the beta began)?

I get the feeling I'm not getting that Dreamcast mag.

All that aside, I'm enjoying it!

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Personal Orders are a good way to get chunks of XP.

Also, you can get boosts to help offensively. I pubbed the 1000 run.

edit: also, you have to manually select the next story quest. The explorations are repeatables... kind of like patrols or something, idk?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    This also is not a typical MMO (nor really a true MMO, but the ship parts are) Quests in this series have always been repeatable, though in the first one you had to complete all of them to do so. The Story quests and Client(?) quests you get from characters aren’t repeatable and I assume the sub quests aren’t either. There are daily and weekly quests as well. I have to say this is probably the best free to play game I’ve ever gotten into - especially since I’ve played at least three hours and not even once seen anything to buy or pay money for and I don’t have to deal with limited energy bullshit, but instead get to play as much as I want totally free.

• Options
    Stickers are probably going to be problematic.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Stickers are probably going to be problematic.

I read that as snickers and I spent a good 30 seconds super confused .

• Options
    How do I get my dream cast mag now?

• Options
    You have to play, and complete, three separate Urgent Missions. It will be awarded when the full game launches.

• Options
    I thought it was time based. About to try this out again shortly

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    RickRude wrote: »
    I thought it was time based. About to try this out again shortly

It kinda is, as the Urgent Quests are on a schedule and if you miss them too bad: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/01/27/pso2-beta-starts-february-7th/
    There's only 3 left, and you have to do three to get the Dreamcast Mag:
    • 5 to 5:30 p.m. PST – Cradle of Darkness
    • 8:30 to 9 p.m. PST – The Raging Obsidian Arm
    • 9 to 9:30 p.m. PST – Elder of the Unfathomable Abyss

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    They are zergable, so if youre low level, you’ll likely get dragged through if you hop in early