As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    When I was helping my kid with their homework recently, it occurred to me that we had already been taught how to do this, it struck me as very similar to long division.

I suspect a kid using this "inquiry" method would actually have a much easier time learning a basic programming language now, as an example of how this might be applied.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hey Canadian thread, just a reminder that today is the start of Poutine Week! So go out and enjoy a gourmet poutine or twelve.

I just had one for lunch, with turnip, parsnip and celery root fries instead of potatoes. It was delicious. My 19-month-old stole a few bites, it was her first poutine ever.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm partial to Poutini's on Queen St. West myself. Something about their gravy is just too good to pass up.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Oh, to live in Montreal...

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Stupid living on west coast

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I think Toronto has better poutine than Montreal. La Banquise is mediocre at best.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    I think Toronto has better poutine than Montreal. La Banquise is mediocre at best.

nahhhhh

man I live in TO but

nahhhhhhh we just don't have the variety or the depth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQ9x1-6KbQ&t

I actually love the 2nd place entry in this the most, Chez Tousignant, but I've never been to Claudette. Hopefully on my next trip!

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    BC is generally the worst.

Hey, let's put pulled pork or brisket and beef gravy on every god damned thing.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Poutine question: I recently tried some finally and it was great while it was hot and fresh, but as it cooled off it kinda started getting gross. Is that a secret to it, that it needs to be eaten hot?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    I think Toronto has better poutine than Montreal.

ASSEMBLE THE PUNISHMENT ENGINE

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Poutine question: I recently tried some finally and it was great while it was hot and fresh, but as it cooled off it kinda started getting gross. Is that a secret to it, that it needs to be eaten hot?

You need to eat it right away after the gravy is poured on, when the fries are crisp and the cheese is just lightly melted and still squeeking. That's peak deliciousness.

After a while the gravy soaks into the fries and turns them to mush, and the cheese melts completely and mixes with it, and it becomes a pasty mess. That's terrible.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Depends on the ingredients used, some of them can become even more delicious by cooling them down by mixing in some coleslaw

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Stupid living on west coast

There are 5 participating restaurants in the Vancouver area.

There are also several participating restaurants in France.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the squeak of cheese.

Honestly, the best poutine I've ever had by far was homemade. Hand cut french fries, a gravy made from a roast we had the previous day, and (admittedly store bought) cheese curds. To this day, I have yet to achieve the same level of tastiness. Although, to be fair, even average poutine is delicious.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Yes my favorite is when the ends of the fries around the edge are still crispy and not covered in gravy. I also prefer the fires to be thick cut, double fried and a nice darkish brown, stuff like McDonalds fries don't work well for poutine.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Sorry... to clarify....

Am I, or am I not, allowed to enjoy brisket with my gravy, fries and cheese curds?

Also.... Whats the verdict on butter chicken poutine? I haven't tried it yet, but I want to!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I think all that is totally allowed but I'd hesitate to call it real poutine.

By and large I think anyone should be allowed to shove whatever foodstuffs into their food hole and enjoy it.

I mean, except those sick fucks who eat kiwis whole.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The best poutine I ever had was made with pulled pork, and I don't care if it's really poutine or not.

• Options
    In my opinion if the cheese curds and fries and gravy are present and correct it is poutine and no additives can disqualify it from poutine status, some additives may ruin the poutine but terrible poutine is still poutine

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Peter MacKay: TRUDEAU SPENT 800 TAX PAYER DOLLARS ON YOGA! LIBERALS ARE THE WORST!
    Canadian Twitter: Seriously, you once took a search and rescue chopper to a photo op and that cost us 30k+ and you never admitted or apologized.

McKay off to a roaring start!

• Options
    Can we all agree though that using cheddar or mozzarella or something other than proper cheese curds is a travesty and incredibly un-Canadian?

• Options
    I think, if you browse the Poutine Week website, you'll find that poutine is basically fries, cheese and gravy, but it's far more than just fries, cheese and gravy. Poutines with various types of cheeses, different cuts of potatoes or a substitute for potatoes, pepper sauce or cheese sauce or bourbon sauce or bbq sauce, pulled porc or bacon or sausage or a whole duck leg, etc.

Anything is fair game on your poutine, as long as we can still recognize the fundamentals of fries, cheese and gravy.

Except grated cheese. People who make poutine with grated cheese deserve to burn in the hottest circle of hell.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Peter MacKay: TRUDEAU SPENT 800 TAX PAYER DOLLARS ON YOGA! LIBERALS ARE THE WORST!
    Canadian Twitter: Seriously, you once took a search and rescue chopper to a photo op and that cost us 30k+ and you never admitted or apologized.

McKay off to a roaring start!

I read that as 800k$, and I was a bit taken back someone could spend so much on yoga.

Then I realized it's just 800$, not 800k$, and my eyes rolled around so hard.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Can we all agree though that using cheddar or mozzarella or something other than proper cheese curds is a travesty and incredibly un-Canadian?

Calling terrible blasphemous garbage poutine un-canadian is simply a failure of nerve, look into the mirror and recognise the sad soggy frozen fries covered in thin packet gravy and grated mozzarella and accept it as your blood kin

Hobnail on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

No, my kid is very much Canadian recently remarked "I don't like it when they make my poutine with the cheese balls". Not going to fly calling my kid un-Canadian.

Why can't you accept a multi-cultural approach to poutine as being valid as tastes differ? Shredded cheese definitely works for your fellow Canadians, if it didn't, it wouldn't sell enough to stay on the menu.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    At my hometown's fair one summer, I ordered a poutine that still haunts me.
    They put the fries in a cardboard tray, that made sense.
    Then they put the gravy on, which confused me.
    The final, most devastating step was the person going to the liquid nacho cheese dispenser and opening the flood gates.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    At my hometown's fair one summer, I ordered a poutine that still haunts me.
    They put the fries in a cardboard tray, that made sense.
    Then they put the gravy on, which confused me.
    The final, most devastating step was the person going to the liquid nacho cheese dispenser and opening the flood gates.

OH MY GOD

• Options

Calling terrible blasphemous garbage poutine un-canadian is simply a failure of nerve, look into the mirror and recognise the sad soggy frozen fries covered in thin packet gravy and grated mozzarella and accept it as your blood kin

No, my kid is very much Canadian recently remarked "I don't like it when they make my poutine with the cheese balls". Not going to fly calling my kid un-Canadian.

Why can't you accept a multi-cultural approach to poutine as being valid as tastes differ? Shredded cheese definitely works for your fellow Canadians, if it didn't, it wouldn't sell enough to stay on the menu.

I feel like this got real personal, real fast... :huh:

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Lets wrap this discussion around...

...PINEAPPLES...

on a poutine.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    We had a turkey/turkey gravy/cranberry sauce poutine on our menu over Thanksgiving. Sad it's gone it was so good

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Handkor wrote: »

...PINEAPPLES...

on a poutine.

There is such a thing as a desert poutine.

1579886583930.png

Doesn't have pineapples, but we're not far off.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Butter chicken poutine is good jerk chicken poutine is good and even the cheese sauce veggie poutine from New York fries is good

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

...PINEAPPLES...

on a poutine.

1579886583930.png

Yeah, there's one of those near me now and they keep sending me coupons for "dessert poutine". which seems to be funnel cake sticks and stuff.

I mean, it might be good. I've never bothered to drive over and see.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I have made "poutine" with shredded cheese and UK Bisto (the only instant gravy mix I've found that's actually instant and works).

Come fight me.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

...PINEAPPLES...

on a poutine.

1579886583930.png

Yeah, there's one of those near me now and they keep sending me coupons for "dessert poutine". which seems to be funnel cake sticks and stuff.

I mean, it might be good. I've never bothered to drive over and see.

You've never had Chocolat Favoris? By a large margin the best chocolate-dipped soft-served ice cream I've had. They are amazing chocolatiers, and they dip their ice cream in fine stuff.

I've had their poutine last year... surprisingly I didn't care for it. The fried cake fries were too tough to eat with a plastic spoon in a paper plate, and topped with ice cream, caramel, marshmellows, and maple syrup, the whole thing was a bit rich, in much the same sense you might say Jeff Bezos is a bit rich.

sig.gif
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Superb Owl is on and the Canada thread is talking poutine.

Seems about right

• Options
    I had a piri-piri chicken poutine at a portuguese restaurant last night. Instead of gravy, the poutine was topped with their homemade piri-piri sauce, which is pretty darn delicious. It was my first time visiting that restaurant, but it won't be my last.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I don't think gravy is required to achieve poutine status.

"Italian" poutine was a staple when I was growing up in MTL and that's just spaghetti sauce & cheese curds on fries..... And it's still the best 3am post drinking meal.

Butter chicken poutine is the bomb and the piri-piri one @Richy mentioned sounds as good. Fusion food really is the best.

Maybe poutine is a state of mind?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Maybe poutine is a state of mind?

Now I'm picturing yoga classes meditating, trying to achieve poutineness.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    My favourite is lobster poutine.

Cooked lobster bits = cheese curds
    Mascarpone cheese sauce = gravy
    Served over crispy frites.

Brilliant Newfoundland take on poutine.