As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    If a fellow or friendly neighbor Canadian takes the opportunity to state/deride/bemoan the current condition in the U.S., only to then self-praise superior Canadian racial harmony, please remind them that First Nations peoples are treated like absolute shit.

I did not make friends with that recent take, but Boomers fucking suck and are the worst.

You cant even lay that one completely on them either, I hear folks my age (40s) and younger make those same statement. Hell I was largely unaware of all of that crap my entire life. Most you would hear about indigenous cultures in Canada in school (at least in Alberta) was a unit on the Iroquois , and some smatterings about the "Plains Indians" and of course Head Smashed In Buffalo jump. I didn't even learn residential schools was a thing until like my late 20s. Curious on what everyone elses school experience was in that regards.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    darkmayo wrote: »
    If a fellow or friendly neighbor Canadian takes the opportunity to state/deride/bemoan the current condition in the U.S., only to then self-praise superior Canadian racial harmony, please remind them that First Nations peoples are treated like absolute shit.

I did not make friends with that recent take, but Boomers fucking suck and are the worst.

You cant even lay that one completely on them either, I hear folks my age (40s) and younger make those same statement. Hell I was largely unaware of all of that crap my entire life. Most you would hear about indigenous cultures in Canada in school (at least in Alberta) was a unit on the Iroquois , and some smatterings about the "Plains Indians" and of course Head Smashed In Buffalo jump. I didn't even learn residential schools was a thing until like my late 20s. Curious on what everyone elses school experience was in that regards.

First nations were completely missing from the school curriculum in Québec in the 90s, I can tell you that. They were mentioned in passing in history class, and just to mention their relationship with the French (who were center-stage). They were never mentioned in society and politics classes. I hear it's better now, at least insofar as history classes go.

Having lived 8 years in Thunder Bay, I can tell you racism against First Nations is alive and well in young people. It's not so strong in Québec (though I've heard it), but I'd guess that a major reason for that is that most of Québec racism is channeled against English Canadians and Muslims.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    More US-related than Canadian, but Beaverton remains amazing:
    https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/06/antifa-surprised-to-discover-it-is-an-organization/

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

I'd be lying if I said I had a clear memory at this point, but I don't remember there being much. I suspect similarly, we had a bit of time on the Iroquois and MAYBE touched on the Miꞌkmaq because they're local, but it certainly wasn't major. 100% nothing about residential schools or any of the other things I've learned in my 20s & 30s.
    That said, I also can't say I recall there being any real racism from kids around my age and area. It just wasn't something there was much exposure to? We might've had a few kids from a family with a native background, and they were well-liked (I'm actively ashamed to admit I don't remember properly, as one of them was my absolute best friend until he died from an enlarged heart in 4th grade - I kinda lost touch with the family after that).

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mandatory history class, in Québec was mostly barely disguised sovereignist propaganda (although that was mostly the specific teacher more than the whole program; framing matter) and barely touched on the first nations. Or WWII, industrialization and the Quiet Revolution, for that matter.
    There was an optional class on those.

The most we got was in CEGEP, in the literature class where we got to read some of Jacques Cartier's logs. It was kinda instructive that they wrote pages and pages thanking God for help against scurvy without mentioning who actually helped.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

First nations were completely missing from the school curriculum in Québec in the 90s, I can tell you that. They were mentioned in passing in history class, and just to mention their relationship with the French (who were center-stage). They were never mentioned in society and politics classes. I hear it's better now, at least insofar as history classes go.

Having lived 8 years in Thunder Bay, I can tell you racism against First Nations is alive and well in young people. It's not so strong in Québec (though I've heard it), but I'd guess that a major reason for that is that most of Québec racism is channeled against English Canadians and Muslims.

I think it's more about where you live then anything. The difference between attitudes in Northern Ontario vs Toronto area, as an example, was fairly stark. Mostly it always seemed to be because First Nations issues basically, for all intents and purposes, don't exist in a lot of places. But it always seemed to me like where they were more relevant day to day there were a ton of people with OPINIONS on First Nations people and issues.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Listening to Legault's daily press conference today. He's of course fielding a lot of questions about the protests. In response he's saying that there is indeed racism within the Montreal PD and the Québec provincial force, and that it's a problem, and that there was already a government report on this being prepared. So that's good... but he also says there is no systemic racism in Québec because there is no system that implement racism, showing he has no idea what systemic racism even means. Dammit.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    Listening to Legault's daily press conference today. He's of course fielding a lot of questions about the protests. In response he's saying that there is indeed racism within the Montreal PD and the Québec provincial force, and that it's a problem, and that there was already a government report on this being prepared. So that's good... but he also says there is no systemic racism in Québec because there is no system that implement racism, showing he has no idea what systemic racism even means. Dammit.
    That's a bit weird, given that he's been expanding that system quite a bit.

And by "weird", I mean "one of the reasons he was elected".

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Ugh, that sucks to hear Richy, I had a few hopes for Quebec after the recent agreement between them and the Cree :(

This was only a few months ago: https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/02/17/news/quebec-cree-leaders-sign-deal-while-other-indigenous-groups-protest-across-canada

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's one of those things you don't think of all the time, but like ... you should never underestimate our capacity for cognitive dissonance.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I mean, honestly, it's a better statement then I expected. More inadequate then going the wrong way.

• Options
    It's more that Legault is not absolute pure evil, but he's incurious, quick to deflect blame and ignore problems, does not consider the impacts of decisions and policies, especially on minorities and marginalized groups, and tend to have a very specific view of Québec and society that has not been fully updated since the '80s.
    Standard right wing bullshit, but not actually fascist, in other words. Harmful more from negligence and indifference than malice.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Negligence and indifference does set the table for Malice though :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Negligence and indifference does set the table for Malice though :(

Yes, that was not exactly a compliment. It's a mental model that help explain what is going on: the Crees speak French, and don't register as a foreign threat or a push back towards the bad old time, so dealing with them is good. Systemic racism is bad, so it does not exist, no need for uncomfortable introspection.
    And so on.

• Options
    I mean, he is aware of the existence of racism and the harm it causes. It's just that his understanding of it seems to be limited to the obvious in-your-face kind of racism. He seems completely oblivious to the general racial inequality and unfairness of the system. Which is a common blindness for people born in the privileged class of the majority race of society.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Since the UCP can't be the UCP without bringing in some grossness from the neighbours, they're currently rushing through legislation (PDF link) worded such that it outlaws public protest or encouraging public protest in Alberta.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    That can't possibly pass muster

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Since the UCP can't be the UCP without bringing in some grossness from the neighbours, they're currently rushing through legislation (PDF link) worded such that it outlaws public protest or encouraging public protest in Alberta.

What's going to happen when they want to protest Dictator Trudeau's Covid-19 restrictions?

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

What's going to happen when they want to protest Dictator Trudeau's Covid-19 restrictions?
    It only prohibits protests near "essential infrastructure". For example, oil fields, railroads use to move oil, highways used to move oil, and pipelines. Also a few other things, to get some slightly-plausible deniability.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    mrondeau wrote: »

It only prohibits protests near "essential infrastructure". For example, oil fields, railroads use to move oil, highways used to move oil, and pipelines. Also a few other things, to get some slightly-plausible deniability.

Or streets where an oil delivery could happen or a park where someone on their way to work at an O&G place may get interrupted etc etc etc

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    It only prohibits protests near "essential infrastructure".

... Which it defines as "pretty much anything."

• Options
    It only prohibits protests near "essential infrastructure".

... Which it defines as "pretty much anything."

Schools and most public places are not. You can protest against whatever the UCP oppose without problems. This only blocks protests against things the UCP likes. That' what section 5 is for.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    If you Canucks are feeling lonesome in these strange days, come and join the Penny Arcade Isolation Squad on Discord!

https://discord.gg/6jHX4dh

There are tens of us! TENS!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    If you Canucks are feeling lonesome in these strange days, come and join the Penny Arcade Isolation Squad on Discord!

We already made our own, with maple syrup and beavers!

....I mean blackjack and hookers!

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Disco11 wrote: »

Or streets where an oil delivery could happen or a park where someone on their way to work at an O&G place may get interrupted etc etc etc

Yeah, am I reading it correctly in that, as highways are essential infrastructure, per section vii, protesting near highways is enough to get you arrested? Because it indicates highways as defined in the Traffic Safety Act, and looking up Alberta's traffic safety act, highways are...well, a lot.

“highway” means any thoroughfare, street, road, trail,
    avenue, parkway, driveway, viaduct, lane, alley, square,
    bridge, causeway, trestleway or other place or any part of
    any of them, whether publicly or privately owned, that the
    public is ordinarily entitled or permitted to use for the
    passage or parking of vehicles and includes
    (i) a sidewalk, including a boulevard adjacent to the
    sidewalk,

ETA: I suppose if you got a permit, you might be considered to have a lawful right to protest on the sidewalk and thus operate within Section 3, but IANAL.

CroakerBC on
  • Options

We already made our own, with maple syrup and beavers!

....I mean blackjack and hookers!

Hey, We have tons of syrup glazed rodent's over in our server!

But for real it's been a fun hangout during whatever the fuck 2020 is

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Haha holy fuck. Rob Ford today said we don't have systemic racial problems like the US. LOL.

• Options
    Of course he did. Trudeau said today systemic racism is a thing, which means approximately every Canadian with a Conservative Party affiliation needs to immediately pivot to denying it exists.

• Options
    Of course he did. Trudeau said today systemic racism is a thing, which means approximately every Canadian with a Conservative Party affiliation needs to immediately pivot to denying it exists.

Conservatives denied the existence of systemic racism long before Trudeau said it was a thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sure, but the reason several of them are coming out of the woodwork all on the same day to do that right now is specifically because the prime minister said it was a thing.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The only consistent position that conservatives hold is that they are against whatever progressives are for.

Someone else on this forum said something similar in another thread, but Trudeau should come out in favour of breathing, and let's see what happens.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Sure, but the reason several of them are coming out of the woodwork all on the same day to do that right now is specifically because the prime minister said it was a thing.

Now is also a time when you can pretend that it doesn't exist via whataboutism. Real racism is like what happens in the US. Look at them, now look at us. We're better, therefore we're not like that, therefore systemic racism doesn't exist here QED.

• Options
    You know, I kinda don't care what the conservatives are saying. They've become such sock puppets it doesn't feel worth acknowledging right now.
    How're we all feeling about Trudeau's response in general? Besides what might actually be the longest pause ever given in a political speech, it was pretty dang lukewarm. I know it's easy to armchair and complain he didn't condemn Trump, but I do understand it's not the best time to directly frown in his direction. Still, I am underwhelmed. Seems like the typical "acknowledge there is a problem, but we're still going to keep fighting those native American children in court" gargle.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Pretty much.

The ... completeness of the extent to which Canada rewrote our collective image of What Kind Of Society We Are - independent of What Kind Of Society We Actually Are - in the sixties still continually amazes me. We just decided a bit under sixty years ago, that we were now a nice peaceful inclusive society and a couple of generations have largely grown up taking it for granted that it was a done deal, even when it really wasn't.

Re: Trudeau's statement, I'm merely whelmed myself, but I also fully get that he's trying to thread the needle of addressing various elephants in the room while trying not to have the Caligula next door fly into a tantrum aimed our way. I'd love for Trudeau to condemn things going on down there, but I'm not sure if he could do it without Trump immediately tearing up every agreement Canada and the US have while retaliating against eight hundred thousand of our citizens currently south of the border.

If it were anyone else in office down there, I would expect, and want a real unambiguously forceful statement. At the moment we've got a child juggling grenades down there, and that child wouldn't care in the slightest if a lot of us got hurt by them.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Haha holy fuck. Rob Ford today said we don't have systemic racial problems like the US. LOL.

While I wouldn’t doubt that zombie Rob Ford would rise from the grave to say this (because 2020), it was his brother Doug that realized he was a Ford and put his foot in his mouth

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Rex Murphy penned a whole op-ed about it in response, which got so much backlash it was trending in Canada. His reasoning included gems like "we teach that racism is bad in school."

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Trudeau seems to be getting a fair amount of flack before his “21 seconds of silence” when asked if he would condemn Trump for what’s happening in the US.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Trudeau seems to be getting a fair amount of flack before his “21 seconds of silence” when asked if he would condemn Trump for what’s happening in the US.
    People need to understand that a PM cannot really condemn an US president, especially over internal affairs.

Also, that 21 seconds of silence is condemnation. It’s condemnation formulated to go over the head of idiots.

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    People need to understand that a PM cannot really condemn an US president, especially over internal affairs.

Also, that 21 seconds of silence is condemnation. It’s condemnation formulated to go over the head of idiots.

I thought it was masterful the way he turned it around and talked about our problems...

There is literally no good answer when it comes to the states.