As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    So we're ALREADY back to "idiot Jerry causing problems and not getting any respect from his kids. . ." huh? This was a fun episode, if a bit weaker than the premiere, but I'm not liking the idea of these characters just being STUCK in who they are (which is a very Harmon way of viewing character development).

Jerry did do a smart thing there that got him and Morty set free.

I'm entirely with Morty that this doesn't gain him any points because he was only fixing an easily avoidable problem he created himself.

I actually really like Jerry as a character. His whole thing seems to be that he's a useless cowardly bumbling suburban Dad, but when his family is at stake he will absolutely step up and put his life on the line for them (Rick Potion, the alien marriage counseling one, Meeseeks and destroy although it took Beth yelling at him) including Rick himself (The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy). There is a bad-ass inside of him, its just that it generally takes mortal peril to actually bring it out in him, and he's a useless sack of crap at all other times.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Jerry may be spineless most of the time and utterly unambitious, but compared to Rick who is suicidal and has a god complex, he's pretty nice and tame. I'd rather hang with Jerry than Rick, but mostly because the people around Rick die a lot.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Jerry may be spineless most of the time and utterly unambitious, but compared to Rick who is suicidal and has a god complex, he's pretty nice and tame. I'd rather hang with Jerry than Rick, but mostly because the people around Rick die a lot.

And he'd be rather unpleasant to be around even without that.

re: The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy- is it just me or would the title conspiracy not have worked? Unless they grabbed his body *instantly* he drops back into the field and he's fine. Happens to Jerry even!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The whole family is a piece of shit, so I enjoy the show for the same reason that I enjoy Always Sunny in Philadelphia: I can enjoy shitty things happening to shitty people for being shitty. They're just an overall pile of awful; every time you think one or the other of them may not be so bad, they do something selfish and awful to remind you that they suck.

• Options
    I don't think it's that extreme. It's more like the characters around R&M become worse by association. I would say Beth, Jerry and Summer are fairly normal people, but have been put through some serious shit that would mess anyone up. I would say Beth had (or has) a drinking problem and a hard time confronting her dad, which is fairly normal human stuff. Jerry isn't much of a "man's man" but he still gives a shit about his family. And Summer is a typical teenage girl who originally just wanted to kiss boys, but now as the show has gone on she's adopted a lot of Rick's traits, kinda like Beth.

Rick is probably the only one I would call outright terrible, but his level of intelligence and manipulation kinda ruins those around him as well. The fact that Beth is smart enough to finally realize she can't even trust her dad despite relying on him, shows character development. Well, and by now Morty's body count is getting crazy for sure.

Funny I really liked the moment in the first episode of this season where Wasp Rick has a much healthier family life than our Rick.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    One of the themes of the show seems to be that disengaging with normal life on such a massive level as Rick makes it difficult to empathize with people. Rick has killed more people than God's revolver and at this point it's hard for him to care. He can literally pack up and move universes if things don't work out and he knows that every person he encounters has an infinite amount of doubles in the multiverse. Rick wants to connect with his family and(It would seem) others in order to combat this. Rick being around might be helping him but it's also spreading the disease. The whole family is a little unstuck and insulated from consequence.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    So we're ALREADY back to "idiot Jerry causing problems and not getting any respect from his kids. . ." huh? This was a fun episode, if a bit weaker than the premiere, but I'm not liking the idea of these characters just being STUCK in who they are (which is a very Harmon way of viewing character development).

Jerry did do a smart thing there that got him and Morty set free.

I'm entirely with Morty that this doesn't gain him any points because he was only fixing an easily avoidable problem he created himself.

I actually really like Jerry as a character. His whole thing seems to be that he's a useless cowardly bumbling suburban Dad, but when his family is at stake he will absolutely step up and put his life on the line for them (Rick Potion, the alien marriage counseling one, Meeseeks and destroy although it took Beth yelling at him) including Rick himself (The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy). There is a bad-ass inside of him, its just that it generally takes mortal peril to actually bring it out in him, and he's a useless sack of crap at all other times.

Tbh I don't know if I can blame Jerry for this particular mistake. At least part of the blame has to go on Rick for, as Morty points out, being too lazy to actually explain why it was a bad idea to do what Jerry did. It would have taken maybe three more seconds of his time to explain things properly.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    At this point I consider Summer practically a saint given the sheer amount of insanity she puts up with while still helping Rick and Morty.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    At this point I consider Summer practically a saint given the sheer amount of insanity she puts up with while still helping Rick and Morty.

Who among us wouldn't use a shapeshifter ray to make part of us bigger?

. . .

I mean I wouldnt need to of course but other people

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Summer decided to "cope" with her family issues by staying in a murder world and murder assloads of people, and her habitual stance is to shit all over Morty because she's either jealous or just being an outright asshole.

So basically, she fits right in with her asshole family.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That was probably my least favorite episode ever

Ah well, back in 2 weeks

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Yah, that felt like a swing and a miss after last week.

Weird how the best episode of the season so far is the one focused on pooping.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    I think the episodes where Rick does things like
    committing genocide on at least one planet (probably a lot more) for a stupid reason like getting Morty to not write a script don't land very well. And I don't think they fit Rick's character either.
    Sure he's callous and will definitely murder people, but not usually in that way. He might let a planet blow up because of laziness or on accident, but not because of wanting something dumb. Do you guys agree with that? Just kind of how it seems to me.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    I think the episodes where Rick does things like
    committing genocide on at least one planet (probably a lot more) for a stupid reason like getting Morty to not write a script don't land very well. And I don't think they fit Rick's character either.
    Sure he's callous and will definitely murder people, but not usually in that way. He might let a planet blow up because of laziness or on accident, but not because of wanting something dumb. Do you guys agree with that? Just kind of how it seems to me.

Technically,
    he did it so that Morty would keep sticking with him and having adventures, which is something he's killed governments to maintain before.

But yeah, this is probably the most evil thing he's ever done. Provided it was even real and not just holograms or CG or whatever.

I still think it was pretty funny, but if it was all just a swipe at heist movies, then well... I think they've tackled more engaging topics before.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It is really eye-opening to go back to the start of Season 3 when the show was still going ham on the ‘fuck yeah, nothing matters because it’s all a multiverse’ kick, where at least at the beginning Rick was this avatar of nihilistic anarchy as a beacon of self-liberation. I’m sure season three was written and completed prior to the last election, there’s just a big mood of stuff that’s got swept away in the sea change of the post-Obama era.

This new season is...quite good, but there’s almost a feeling of the storylines and jokes being overcrammed for the runtime. Like they can’t quite get it done in 22 minutes, so they decided to double down and put even more in. But that kind of firebrand mentality from the third season, at least so far, is decidedly absent. I don’t know if this is some inner rehabilitation at work or what.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    There's definitely a want to course correct to try and either lose or redirect the more toxic elements of their fanbase who bought into Rick for very much the wrong reasons, but that's not what I'm seeing.

What I'm seeing is them trying to make sure we see Rick as completely unsympathetic again after the end of the previous episode, when it should be quite easy to see Rick as both a pitiable figure and also someone worthy of contempt because of his general attitude thus far.
    It is interesting that he feels he needs Morty around for some reason. It's like Holmes craving Watson's company as a way to have an everyman to show himself superior to. I think the two characters are quite similar on some key axes, though Rick is a trainwreck on a far more massive scale than Holmes ever was.

Still, fucking up your Grandson's 1st independent taste of success by destroying at least 1 if not several planets? That's pretty fucking cold and I kind of hope Morty finds out.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    He should be unsympathetic he learned the exact wrong lesson from last episode

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Random thoughts (I can't decide whether I liked that episode or not):
    You know, I kind of get the impression that Justin Roiland miiiiiight not like heist movies. It's hard to tell, with the point being so subtlety presented and all. :rotate:

BRB, going to shred/burn my copy of 'Logan Lucky'. That movie is dead to me now. (Not!) :P

Elon Tusk wouldn't design the Cybertruck. He'd have more humility than IRL Elon and recognise that aesthetics can sometimes be as important as functionality.

Claudia Black in the 'frellin house!

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    It is really eye-opening to go back to the start of Season 3 when the show was still going ham on the ‘fuck yeah, nothing matters because it’s all a multiverse’ kick, where at least at the beginning Rick was this avatar of nihilistic anarchy as a beacon of self-liberation. I’m sure season three was written and completed prior to the last election, there’s just a big mood of stuff that’s got swept away in the sea change of the post-Obama era.

This new season is...quite good, but there’s almost a feeling of the storylines and jokes being overcrammed for the runtime. Like they can’t quite get it done in 22 minutes, so they decided to double down and put even more in. But that kind of firebrand mentality from the third season, at least so far, is decidedly absent. I don’t know if this is some inner rehabilitation at work or what.
    I couldn't agree more. Maybe I'm just getting old but the pacing in this was kind of bad, IMO.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    In the ending credits it looks like Musk himself was a guest voice.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    He a did a thing back in February where he changed his twitter handle to "Elon Tusk" with an elephant emoji. Everybody was just like "well I guess he's an eccentric billionaire, they do these things." Now we know why! (though it turned out to be sort of a semi-complicated self-own, which, hey, ok)

This episode was dark as shit and continues the "RICK IS A BAD PERSON. DO NOT EMULATE OR SEEK TO IDOLIZE RICK." plot anvils.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Given the shit Musk has been subjecting a Tesla whistleblower to, I think Elon is a Rick idolizer.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Having actual Elon Musk on Rick and Morty seems kind of like a shark-jumping moment. What next, are they going to get trapped in the internet and only manage to escape with the help of their friend Reddit?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I enjoyed the episode.
    "YOUR BOOS MEAN NOTHING. I'VE SEEN WHAT MAKES YOU CHEER."
    is my new favorite Rick quote.

RT800 on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    itunes has a little "Inside the Episode" video for each episode and the one for this weeks Harmon totally admits that he hates the Heist genre. He also said that he doesn't think you should make an episode based around something you hate, but he hates the Heist genre so much that he thought fuck it, I'm doing it anyway.

I have to give them credit for this episode because it worked. I totally do not feel like watching any kind of heist movie any time soon. After this episode was over I was literally mentally exhausted with the concept and if I was going to give them some kind of credit for this episode on a meta level it would be that they were intending the episode to have that effect on just about anyone, not only Morty.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Having actual Elon Musk on Rick and Morty seems kind of like a shark-jumping moment. What next, are they going to get trapped in the internet and only manage to escape with the help of their friend Reddit?

nah. I don’t know what jumping the shark would even mean for Rick and Morty. It would have to be some drastic, poorly thought out change. Like literally removing Morty from the show and never bringing him back.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Not sure if it's jumping the shark, but Morty definitely abandoned his straight man role at some point. There's no straight man except the aliens now.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's something about this season I can't quite put my finger on. But if I had to make a futile attempt to describe it... it's like the show assumes you know and accept all the crazy and insane acts that can happen, and just starts from there. Like there's no ramp up, no acceleration. It's the difference between a car going from 0 to 60, and a car starting at 60. Maybe a better analogy would be the difference between a normal rollercoaster that has the initial climb up, and one that just starts with the drop. But the ramp up is kind of important to the whole experience. Without it, all you have is spectacle.

I did get a good unprovoked laugh at the very first "Ok so what's the job?" "That was it.". The first time was genuinely funny.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

I thought everyone was on the same page with elon being a big mouthed dickhead, I was surprised he was on the show. Does the internet love him again or something?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I think Dan and Justin are just friends with Elon, for whatever reason. I'm not a fan, but as far as celebrity cameos go it could have been a lot more annoying.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Also the only guy to guest star on Rick and Morty and Big Bang Theory

So y'know

Fun fact

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure they've mentioned Kanye is going to be on the show, too.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Given the shit Musk has been subjecting a Tesla whistleblower to, I think Elon is a Rick idolizer.

Elon just supporting the troops/veterans in his own special way.
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I think Kanye's done guest voice work before on The Cleveland Show so he's no stranger to animated comedy.

Though I wish Ice/Water T was actually voiced by Ice T. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Raiju on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Elon just supporting the troops/veterans in his own special way.
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I think Kanye's done guest voice work before on The Cleveland Show so he's no stranger to animated comedy.

Though I wish Ice/Water T was actually voiced by Ice T. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Speaking of which

https://www.inverse.com/article/45418-rick-and-morty-season-4-guest-stars-should-include-ice-t

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It wasn't my favorite episode ever, but I thought it was pretty funny, and the ridiculous pacing worked well as a skewering of the genre. It wouldn't work for every episode, but here it did, and I thought the general structure was pretty clever in that regard.

It didn't really have any emotional core or larger meaning, which kept it from being great, and yeah, retroactively it was fucking dark, but eh. I enjoyed it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is there any way to stream episodes? Seems no Hulu. 11:30pm is tough these days lol.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Just set a timer on your VCR to record it.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    That ep was rul bad

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Just set a timer on your VCR to record it.

Lol i never use this dvr since i stream everything; forget all about it.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I hate heist movies so this episode tickles the bones closest to my soul.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee