As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

1939495969799»

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Some great episodes, a few fillers, mostly good high quality Rick and Morty slop. Episode with Rick killing his nemesis is obviously the high water mark of the season. I don't even notice the voice differences anymore and it's just Rick and Morty as normal.

Also, did Dennys pay for being in the show as some in show marketing, if so, they promoted the hell out of their food, but shit all over the locations. I have no idea if I was th Dennys marketing team if i am happy or sad or fired.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    How many lives has Morty lived. Does the entire planet count - does he remember those?

Morty doesn't remember being every person in Roy, I'm pretty sure, and every part of him that mistrusted Rick stayed in the game.

I've seen some people point this out as plot hole or character issue with Morty going forward. Aside from the MST3K response of "just don't think about it", Morty's old quasi-Jewish dad Morty goes along with it despite not really believing. So there's a good chance a lot of those Mortys don't implicitly or deeply trust Rick but they were willing to go along with it for other reasons. Or they were won over to the one idea of taking ships out without needing to trust every word Rick says. Then there's the weirdness of Mortys who didn't exist during the Morty fracture.

I think some of the detoxifying or mindbenders or vat of acid or other events in Morty's life would be more likely to cause a change than the Roy Die Hard issue.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The easiest way to fix rhe issue is to restore Mortys mind to a previous state. Presumably Rick makes weekly back ups for both of them

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    The easiest way to fix rhe issue is to restore Mortys mind to a previous state. Presumably Rick makes weekly back ups for both of them

You gotta wonder what the time stamp is on booger_aids_r&m_backup_2 in the mindblowers room

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I think one of my favourite canon episodes is when they get split into their 'good' and 'evil' selves and it turns out Rick considers his compassion for Morty an 'evil' weakness but it's very strong. I thought that was a clever episode to show that Rick is just a complicated, messed up individual but not a complete PoS and also that Morty is...very messed up (removing his 'weaknesses' turns him into a creepy Jordan Belfort character).

Rest and Ricklaxation from season 3, and yeah, that's a fantastic episode that gives a window into their fucked up minds.

(Also, I love the screaming delivery of "WE'RE WHAT GOT REMOVED!!!")

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just realized.. "It stands to reason that the Rickest Rick would have the Morty-est Morty"

Was that a sly reference to Rick Prime?

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I still notice Morty's voice a bit, but it's not something I get hung up on. Great season overall.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    Pretty sure canonically Rick's timeline makes no sense now, you just have to roll with it. For example Rick goes on about making Froopyland for Beth but Rick's Beth was killed when very young and besides his Beth & Diane seem to be normal. Even if every other Rick does it (disturbing) he wouldn't know the details.
    We know from Birdperson Rick fought the Feds when young, leading to Blood Ridge. Except our Rick couldn't have done that - as soon as he has portal travel he chases after Prime until old and broken and builds the Citadel and crashes on Beth Prime.

You just have to roll with very elastic continuity because they keep retconning it.

• Options
    I think you're taking the montages too literally; there's no reason to think there isn't time in-between the scenes. Him fighting against the galaxy with Birdperson (which we see a shot of during the montage, by the by) and him being a broken down dude could have decades between them. In fact, losing bird person is likely why he went from a freedom fighter to a broken down husk.

• Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    Yeah the whole show is Exhibit A demonstrating that Rick is willing and able to just like drop into another Rick’s life and be that guy for a while, either as part of trap to try and catch Prime or just for his own devices. No reason he couldn’t have spent a couple years raising a child Beth in some other timeline and built her a froopyland or whatever.

Alternately we’re also shown that he spent a lot of time around a lot of Ricks when he was putting the citadel together - I can pretty easily picture a conference room full of Ricks drinking and swapping stories about their respective versions of their fucked-up daughter, probably while they’re supposed to be doing something important.

I think it’d be pretty tough to clearly ‘break’ Rick’s continuity, just by dint of the fact that the nature of portal travel gives him ample opportunity to experience and observe mutually contradictory events in an arbitrary order. He just knows things, by means and for reasons that are incomprehensible to normal people. He’s like a demon, or a really fucked-up god.

• Options
    Also Rick has weird opinions on how he views other Ricks; simultaneously with contempt but also accepting the fact that they are all him in some fashion.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Pretty sure canonically Rick's timeline makes no sense now, you just have to roll with it. For example Rick goes on about making Froopyland for Beth but Rick's Beth was killed when very young and besides his Beth & Diane seem to be normal. Even if every other Rick does it (disturbing) he wouldn't know the details.
    We know from Birdperson Rick fought the Feds when young, leading to Blood Ridge. Except our Rick couldn't have done that - as soon as he has portal travel he chases after Prime until old and broken and builds the Citadel and crashes on Beth Prime.

You just have to roll with very elastic continuity because they keep retconning it.

Rick's Beth was old enough to need a froopyland. There is no continuity problem there unless you decide arbitrarily that his Beth must be normal because she seemed fine for the two minutes we saw her.

We see Rick joining up with Birdperson during the montage you referenced. What's supposed to be inconsistent there? At some point the trail went dead and he briefly did a star wars until having a falling out with Birdperson and getting back on track.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    OMG I'm rewatching this season, and the therapy episode
    the alien draws a picture of rick dying by Bigfoot, and they bring up bigfoot in general

which comes into play like two episodes later.

A+

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I thought I saw every episode of the new season but apparently I didn't see the Numericon episode and it fucking ruled oh my goodness

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I was wondering when anime was gonna hit. Feels like it was announced forever ago

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

That looks...really fun, actually.

Just a completely different take on the material.
    ❤️‍🔥 Space Mom

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    A bit random, but I actually had a dream about Rick & Morty last night. My brain spontaneously came up with a new episode of inter-dimensional cable. Morty went off on an adventure on his own after a row with Rick, and ended up trapped inside the guts of a part-biological part-cybernetic creature capable of creating portals inside and outside of it's own massive gross slimy body. The creature was about the size of one of the sand-worms from 'Dune'. And then there was some stuff about Rick holding the Gom-Jabber to Morty's neck, but the rest of the dream feels a bit vague after that.

Anyhow, do we have a date for when the anime airs yet? I am obviously craving some new episodes. :)