As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Now I want Prison Grogu fan art. Perhaps with large muscles and tattoos.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    If Grogu goes darkside. The next time they open his cell door. He should be hovering in the center of the room with lightning pulsing around his body with just the look of "you think I need to point my hands?"

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just watched the newest episode. Loved it. Seeing all the discussion about memberberries which is a serious issue in fandom in my mind, I only know of edges of the EU so most of this stuff is fresh for me and my wife and we still love it. It provides enough of it's own context to work I think. The little personal moments with Grogu and Din, watching him slowly start to warm up to the child and to other people. It's great.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    let's instead argue about star wars megafauna

like what does a dewback even eat with that stupid giant mouth on a desert planet

or what does a bantha eat with that stupid giant mouth on a desert planet

or what does a blurrg eat with that stupid giant mouth on a desert planet
    Plot twist: They're actually megaflora.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Well what the fuck do I do with this razor crest lego set now?

Good episode.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Good episode.

You blow it up. Possibly by using one of those laser pointers that can pop balloons, in conjunction with a magnifying glass, from on top of a stepladder while it's on the ground.

Obviously.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Good episode.

Fucking right? I got that set for my Wife for Christmas! Goddamn it. :D

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I keep reading "Din Djarin" as "Din Desjardin" and now in my headcannon he's from Space France

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    You think that's bad, think of all the people who went in on the HasLab 3 3/4" scaled Razor Crest...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I just had a sad thought about Din needing a new ship now..

speculation
    Are they going to kill off Boba Fett? Life has clearly been hard on Boba and he's grown fat and old and Din happens to need a ship right now and Slave 1 is right there. Boba Fett is going to die in some totally badass epic fashion to counter the lame way he went out originally in the sarlacc and leave his ship and all his killer bounty hunter stuff to Din.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »

speculation
    Are they going to kill off Boba Fett? Life has clearly been hard on Boba and he's grown fat and old and Din happens to need a ship right now and Slave 1 is right there. Boba Fett is going to die in some totally badass epic fashion to counter the lame way he went out originally in the sarlacc and leave his ship and all his killer bounty hunter stuff to Din.
    Cobb will steal the armor back and Fett will try to kill him but instead he trips over a rake and falls into an open sarlacc

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I keep reading "Din Djarin" as "Din Desjardin" and now in my headcannon he's from Space France

He says it with the same vowel sounds

“Spahss Frahnse”

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

speculation
    I hope they don't, at least this season, but let's be honest. People like Fett don't die in their sleep from old age.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

speculation

I mean if that happens I called it but also it would be a shitty thing to do to the character

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Huh. Apparently this is what it looks like when you've got directors totally embracing a character instead of trash-talking and dunking on them because people weren't "supposed" to like them and you resent the fans for it.

And what this looks like is badass and basically everything I've wanted to see out of Boba Fett since fucking forever. Yeah, this is exactly what a character should look like when they were the go-to go-getter for one of the former big bad guys of the galaxy. This is a bounty hunter where people should justifiably be shitting themselves if he's on your trail.

Love the fact that Fett seems to be a whole different breed of fighter than Din, too. Din looks at things, comes up with a plan, then goes through with that plan while making adjustments as needed. Even when tanking for the sniper, he's paying attention to where he needs to be to give the best cover for her, calmly soaking up shots and taking his own. But Fett? Fett is a fucking Mando rage machine and it's glorious. It 100% makes sense that Vader would want to hire a guy like this because they clearly share a personal affinity for anger-stomping their way through the enemy. It also makes a lot of sense why Vader had to be very clear with Fett about the "no disintegrations" rule because the guy seems to want just about everything to disintegrate but has to settle for shoot-punching it.

And fuckin' knee rockets. That's so damn 70's scifi and it should be stupid but I love it.

I am also super-okay with the fact that they've now basically completely thrown out the idea that the Fetts were just wannabe Mandos. Fett settling the whole thing by pulling up his chain code for Din to read is both great and surprisingly civilized for the setting. Yeah, Fett obviously proved he's got the skills, but it's just a nice change of pace for Din to be able to resolve something because there is a clear-cut explanation backing it.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

speculation
    I hope they don't, at least this season, but let's be honest. People like Fett don't die in their sleep from old age.
    either way, it’s best we not lose our heads trying to guess at it

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Huh. Apparently this is what it looks like when you've got directors totally embracing a character instead of trash-talking and dunking on them because people weren't "supposed" to like them and you resent the fans for it.

And what this looks like is badass and basically everything I've wanted to see out of Boba Fett since fucking forever. Yeah, this is exactly what a character should look like when they were the go-to go-getter for one of the former big bad guys of the galaxy. This is a bounty hunter where people should justifiably be shitting themselves if he's on your trail.

Love the fact that Fett seems to be a whole different breed of fighter than Din, too. Din looks at things, comes up with a plan, then goes through with that plan while making adjustments as needed. Even when tanking for the sniper, he's paying attention to where he needs to be to give the best cover for her, calmly soaking up shots and taking his own. But Fett? Fett is a fucking Mando rage machine and it's glorious. It 100% makes sense that Vader would want to hire a guy like this because they clearly share a personal affinity for anger-stomping their way through the enemy. It also makes a lot of sense why Vader had to be very clear with Fett about the "no disintegrations" rule because the guy seems to want just about everything to disintegrate but has to settle for shoot-punching it.

And fuckin' knee rockets. That's so damn 70's scifi and it should be stupid but I love it.

If, by some chance, if you have a PSP or VITA, I recommend you get maverick Hunter X

I haven’t played it

But just... trust me on it.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

speculation
    either way, it’s best we not lose our heads trying to guess at it
    booooo

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I’m just saying, one guy with his signature ship showed up right before the other guy lost his signature ship. It’s basic plot economics.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think Mando gets a new Razor Crest II, maybe he finds a huge cache of Beskar and plates the new one in that so he can finally ram shit with impunity. Bec I'm gonna be honest Mando is a shit pilot except when he's styling on noobs. The whole episode in the ice cave made me cringe so bad.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I kinda love that Din is absolute death on the ground, but is a dogshit to passable pilot. Makes him feel.... I hate to say real cause it sounds pretentious to me, but it makes him feel like an actual person rather than a protagonist.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm personally really hoping we don't see a beskar-plated ship. For one thing, beskar is just tough, not indestructible; Din can shrug off stormtrooper shots, but even he didn't want to fuck with the E-web in S1. Shots from a capital ship would still blow the ship to bits, beskar or not. Two, that would make the ship insanely valuable and Din has a hard enough time keeping a junker from getting stolen or broken; he'd spend the rest of his life flying around with Jawa Spacecrawlers (which are just Sandcrawlers with bolted-on engines) on his ass, waiting for him to leave the ship so they can try to pry some panels off. Three, any decent ship already has shields and those regenerate on the cheap, which is a lot better than ultra-expensive armor that will inevitably degrade.

But whatever Din flies next, it had better lock itself automatically because dammit, Din, you should know by now not to leave your ship just sitting around with the doors open! It doesn't matter if it's only thirty seconds away by jetpack, particularly when you decide to take the jetpack off later. The only reason nobody has swiped his armor is because he's constantly in the armor, thus creating inherent issues for would-be thieves.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm personally really hoping we don't see a beskar-plated ship. For one thing, beskar is just tough, not indestructible; Din can shrug off stormtrooper shots, but even he didn't want to fuck with the E-web in S1. Shots from a capital ship would still blow the ship to bits, beskar or not. Two, that would make the ship insanely valuable and Din has a hard enough time keeping a junker from getting stolen or broken; he'd spend the rest of his life flying around with Jawa Spacecrawlers (which are just Sandcrawlers with bolted-on engines) on his ass, waiting for him to leave the ship so they can try to pry some panels off. Three, any decent ship already has shields and those regenerate on the cheap, which is a lot better than ultra-expensive armor that will inevitably degrade.

But whatever Din flies next, it had better lock itself automatically because dammit, Din, you should know by now not to leave your ship just sitting around with the doors open! It doesn't matter if it's only thirty seconds away by jetpack, particularly when you decide to take the jetpack off later. The only reason nobody has swiped his armor is because he's constantly in the armor, thus creating inherent issues for would-be thieves.

Really, he just needs to get over his droid issues enough to have as droid made that can wear the armor when he's not. That way anyone who gets on the ship gets beaten up by the armor, weather or not he's wearing it.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I feel like Boba’s whole life debt (or whatever) to rescue Grogu is gonna end poorly for him.

It’s also pretty interesting that Boba Fett has such a sense of decorum about this. Like, he shows up all about getting his gear. He later finds it when he spots the Razor Crest with the front hatch just hanging open. He just walks in and gets his stuff. Like, he could have just walked away at that point. He got everything he came for. But he decides he just has gotta fuck up every stormtrooper he can Z-target. I could also believe he felt bad enough over Mando losing his ride he decided he had to do him a solid.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Matev wrote: »
    I kinda love that Din is absolute death on the ground, but is a dogshit to passable pilot. Makes him feel.... I hate to say real cause it sounds pretentious to me, but it makes him feel like an actual person rather than a protagonist.

I've said it before but it doesn't matter how good you are, there's only so much you can do driving around in the Star Wars equivalent of a 1987 Ford Focus. The fact that he was able to hold his own with it as well as he did is more a testament to his skill than a lack of it.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The Razor Crest never seemed like he intended to do any space combat. He used it to go location to location filling it with carbon frozen targets and then returned those targets.

The aerial combat he’s been doing have been a result of the increased attention of having people chase him for Grogu.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    You know, somehow it didn’t really sink in until today that Stormtroopers are sort of this false legacy of the Mandalorians, and that basically every helmet in the setting stems from them.

It makes me imagine some kind of future reconciliation event, where the Mandalorian culture kind of reabsorbs all these lost clone warriors of the Empire, snuffing the flame of the rank and file of oppression, rebuilding their own ranks with these many many Fetts. Maybe something like that’s taken place already in an EU book somewhere?

The development from the super commando concept turning into boba in the movies turning into the design concept for mandalore and it's people in clone wars has also already gone full circle in Rebels. There you get Mando super commandos as part of the imperial forces.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I like how calmly Din handled the tragedies, all things considered. He didn't beg for help, he didn't lose his cool, he just went "well, on to plan B", and carried on.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I like how calmly Din handled the tragedies, all things considered. He didn't beg for help, he didn't lose his cool, he just went "well, on to plan B", and carried on.

I wasn’t crazy about how resigned he was to the kiddo being gone

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Atomika wrote: »

Yeah, I can buy a certain amount of he's in shock, but some kind of emotional reaction would be good here - dissociating from the stress of it just means it comes pouring out later

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Yeah, I can buy a certain amount of he's in shock, but some kind of emotional reaction would be good here - dissociating from the stress of it was just means it comes pouring out later

I’m guessing the outpouring of grief will be him going full badass on Gideon in the rescue mission.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I rather expect we'll see Din resolving some of those feelings in the next episode.

• Options
    The kid gets threatened and kidnapped on a weekly(heh) basis, wouldn't help to lose your cool every time it happens - especially for someone in his profession. They don't want the kid dead(right away anyway) or they would have done it already - get back in there, get him back and vent on some unlucky Stormtroopers.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    This entire show is a love letter and an apology to 40 year old long suffering fans who have remained loyal to the franchise through thick and thin.

• Options

speculation
    Temuera Morrison has always had more of a power lifter body - they may not be much for show compared to the "display muscles" of bodybuilder physique but they are much more functionally strong.
    Granted Plastoid is oftentimes about as durable as the plot requires it to be, but the fact that Fett was casually shattering armor with a glorified stick is clearly intended to portray him as a powerhouse.

That being said even for Favreau I very highly doubt The Mouse is going to let Bobby go that easily after introducing him, that's a lot of potential revenue line they would be throwing away for him. Fett was a conspicuous money maker for decades, more likely they will do the safe play and part ways, and leave his tale open ended so the nuEU and merchandising lines can cash in hardcore on his official return.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    You know you’re the bad guys when tiny manacles are in your inventory.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I wonder if Boba’s melee fighting style we just saw came from spending time with Tuskans on Tatooine. He is clearly using a Gaffi stick so he had to get it from somewhere.

I’m betting a timeline for him was effectively:

-escape sarlaac
    -Jawas steal his armor thinking he’s dead
    -He survives or is saved by a group of Tuskans and stays with them for awhile during his recovery.
    -recovers his ship and keeps it maintained, but doesn’t want to leave until he has gotten his armor back.
    -saves Fennic during last season
    -finally tracks down his armor about the same time as Din
    -starts following Din after seeing him get the armor

• Options
    I wonder if Boba’s melee fighting style we just saw came from spending time with Tuskans on Tatooine. He is clearly using a Gaffi stick so he had to get it from somewhere.

-escape sarlaac
    -He survives or is saved by a group of Tuskans and stays with them for awhile during his recovery.
    -recovers his ship and keeps it maintained, but doesn’t want to leave until he has gotten his armor back.

I mean, he’s only been on Tatooine like five years, right?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

-escape sarlaac

I mean, he’s only been on Tatooine like five years, right?

Clearly, it's going to take Boba longer to track down the Mandalorian armor on Tattooine since he doesn't have the visual aid of the helmet available.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

-escape sarlaac

Most of this tracks in sequence but is workable a few ways and could be padded out.

- Boba blasts out of sarlaac, strips out of armor as it makes him a marked man and/or he's covered in the sarlaacs stomach acid

- Falls in with Tuskans and feels obligated to stay with them due to his code and only leaves after paying back the debt

- Proceed otherwise

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
This discussion has been closed.