Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    But the Jawas weren't the same. They all had red eyes.

Further, they're sporting blue robes instead of dark brown.

Jawas are all over the galaxy as scavengers, it makes plenty of sense that they don't all dress the same or have the same eye color/eyewear.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Julius wrote: »
    it's like you enter a bar and you see a Mandalorian and you know you can go "sup proud warrior race guy?" and then you see a human and you don't know what you're supposed to think of them.

If I was all the other races in the Star Wars universe I would've sat the humans down and told them to pick one trait that They Are Known For.

Isn't the Mandalorian also human, though? I mean, okay, helmet, so you don't know know, but it ain't no Mon Cal under there; that's for damn sure.

Diplominator on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    This show was good. I don’t know what you’re all on about.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    it's like you enter a bar and you see a Mandalorian and you know you can go "sup proud warrior race guy?" and then you see a human and you don't know what you're supposed to think of them.

If I was all the other races in the Star Wars universe I would've sat the humans down and told them to pick one trait that They Are Known For.

Isn't the Mandalorian also human, though? I mean, okay, helmet, so you don't know know, but it ain't no Mon Cal under there; that's for damn sure.

You have to admit, it'd be pretty impressive to find out it is a mon-cal under there and he's just missing both his eyeballs.

(Okay, that'd actually be a pretty awesome character really)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

This erasure of Mon Cal tentacle stylings.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Hes had a weird third person flashback. He's human

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

... having sex with any and all of the others?

ED: Being main characters?

ED2: Having diversity? Ish?

Realistically? Being the Fascist Assholes Behind the Empire.

Sure, some of "the good ones" were in the Rebellion but damn, like 99% of the Empire were those assholes.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

... having sex with any and all of the others?

ED: Being main characters?

ED2: Having diversity? Ish?

Realistically? Being the Fascist Assholes Behind the Empire.

Sure, some of "the good ones" were in the Rebellion but damn, like 99% of the Empire were those assholes.

That would be a fascinating substory in Disney Star Wars: humans as a race facing suspicion and backlash over the empire (and arguably the destruction of the Jedi) having been a thing.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I guess I'm fine with Jawas being galactic scavengers who post up wherever there's junk to be scavenged. I didn't notice that they had slightly different color eyes and robes. My larger point was that I wish they'd stop nicking ideas from the original trilogy and come up with some of their own. Like the eyeball gatekeeper droid, or random background shots of Salacious Crumb, get that crap out of here.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I guess I'm fine with Jawas being galactic scavengers who post up wherever there's junk to be scavenged. I didn't notice that they had slightly different color eyes and robes. My larger point was that I wish they'd stop nicking ideas from the original trilogy and come up with some of their own. Like the eyeball gatekeeper droid, or random background shots of Salacious Crumb, get that crap out of here.

Disney is just now getting to a point where they can start to really depart from the original trilogy. Rise of Skywalker is not just the end of that saga, but the end of an era. I fully expect them to start exploring stuff way beyond what we already know in the coming years.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I disagree, I really like those callbacks. One of my complaints with some of Star Wars media is that every time there's a new movie we get 25 new aliens and no consistency. There's like, two Rodians ever or something. Seeing references to other stuff like the eyeball gatekeeper repeatedly gives me some consistency and an anchor to the world. Of course we're seeing that stuff again because while it is a big galaxy, there's more than one of a thing.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    This is sort of like complaining that since one character had a dog, you can't ever show another character having a dog again. Also kowakian monkey-lizards show up pretty frequently in Star Wars media? Clone Wars and Rebels and they're sold at "Black Spire Outpost" (Star Wars Land). It's an establishing shot of people eating Star Wars-y stuff that's supposed to be a little funny and uncomfortable.

So this complaint sort of reads like "I saw a duck a pond, and then hanging in some guy's shop. Get that crap out of here, so unoriginal."

But also like hey maybe you haven't seen the 90 or whatever hours of Star Wars cartoons, which, hey, no worries.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So far, I think the fan service-y stuff like the eyeball droid and monkey lizard and frozen Rodian have been just fine.

The Jawas were a major plot point, which was fine, even I wasn’t really sold on the story itself. Similarly (though to a much lesser extent), the carbon freezing on his ship. It was a really cool call back and made sense in the context of the character and the story. It also made me sit and think about fun Star Wars-y stuff. “Wait, carbon freezing had never been used like this when Boba Fett did it (‘He’s no good to me dead’). So apparently that it worked well on Solo meant others learned from it and even turned that huge carbon freezing chamber into a portable unit that could fit on a ship.

Cool!

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

You have to admit, it'd be pretty impressive to find out it is a mon-cal under there and he's just missing both his eyeballs.

Personally, I'm betting on him being nothing more than a mound of spiders.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    This is sort of like complaining that since one character had a dog, you can't ever show another character having a dog again. Also kowakian monkey-lizards show up pretty frequently in Star Wars media? Clone Wars and Rebels and they're sold at "Black Spire Outpost" (Star Wars Land). It's an establishing shot of people eating Star Wars-y stuff that's supposed to be a little funny and uncomfortable.

So this complaint sort of reads like "I saw a duck a pond, and then hanging in some guy's shop. Get that crap out of here, so unoriginal."

But also like hey maybe you haven't seen the 90 or whatever hours of Star Wars cartoons, which, hey, no worries.

I have not seen the cartoons or any non-movie Star Wars media. I think Empire Strikes Back is one of the best sequels of all time because it expanded the Star Wars universe without repeating itself. I don't mind bits and pieces of connective tissue to help build a consistent world, I'm just not a fan of shoehorning in all the little things we've seen before. Another example is the spy character from Mos Eisley with the long snout. Why bring that guy back? Just make up a new guy!

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

It would explain his preference in currency...

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

I have not seen the cartoons or any non-movie Star Wars media. I think Empire Strikes Back is one of the best sequels of all time because it expanded the Star Wars universe without repeating itself. I don't mind bits and pieces of connective tissue to help build a consistent world, I'm just not a fan of shoehorning in all the little things we've seen before. Another example is the spy character from Mos Eisley with the long snout. Why bring that guy back? Just make up a new guy!

I dont think a few recurring races constitutes the bolded. We've seen mostly new things and worldbuilding in this show.

• Options
    edited November 2019

Well you might want to catch up because thats all the old EU was.

Did you sneeze in the Cantina? you're a pivotal EU character

Did you bump into luke in a scene? You were a rebellion spy who was forever changed by the experience

What were getting now is way less obtrusive

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

I’m cool with the long snout species coming back, mostly because this one wasn’t a spy or a snitch.

• Options
    Oh oh and I liked that the Mando was disintegrating Jawas. Good callback to Vader's "No disintegrations!" to Boba Fett.

• Options

I’m cool with the long snout species coming back, mostly because this one wasn’t a spy or a snitch.

He was essentially that planet's Hertz.

And, yeah, the other shows are generally well-received. The Clone Wars takes a few seasons to get going (mostly for Lucas to slowly lose interest and hand the reins over to Filoni). Rebels is solid from the outset. Resistance, unfortunately, is a dumpster fire, but that's likely because Filoni didn't have much to do with it.

If you want an Anakin that's far, far, far better and more interestingly portrayed than what was in the prequels, The Clone Wars is where it's at. They actually make him likeable. Plus a bunch of great, and new, secondary characters (Ahsoka Tano, of course, but also people like Hondo, Cad Bane, Asajj Ventress, etc.).

If you want to see the formation of the Rebellion leading up to the pivotal moments in Rogue One, that's Rebels. The Inquisitors that feature in the new Jedi: Fallen Order game? They originated in that show. Moreover, it has James Earl Jones reprising Darth Vader for an entire season (season 2), and a bunch of other great moments. Although, some of the references will fly over your head if you haven't watched The Clone Wars.

In any event, I agree with Tycho's assessment in the news post for yesterday's comic - the best Star Wars content for the last decade+ has been in the shows and non-main saga films. You're doing yourself a huge disservice if you're not checking them out.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'd also add that the Clone Wars shows the true genius of Palpatines plan and how it actually causes the fall of the Jedi Order. Miring them in a war where they have to make morally gray choices causes them to stray far enough from the light side and even results in a number of them falling. They are so caught up in the war and saving all the lives it stretches them too thin. It also more clearly explains Mace's reasoning in not wanting to let Palpatine live and conversely explains Anakin's decision to stop Mace from doing what he was going to do (if not solely to learn to save Padme)

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Blows my mind that people would gripe about seeing stuff like Jawas or the eyeball droid. That's like being irritated the Stormtroopers all use the same kind of blaster, or that more than one person even uses a blaster. These are the sorts of things that are staple elements of the setting. Humans aren't the only spacefaring species in the setting, we're seeing recurring species and not recycled characters, and how in the world is it cheap/lazy to have common critters show up in places where they would commonly be?

It only gets bad when you get expanded universe stuff like a whole trilogy about the adventures of eyeball droid in checking people out before they enter the building. And the way The Mandalorian is doing things is a whole lot better than the PT/ST style where any big scene has 53 new species but with zero background in the setting so they can sell more crap.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

And, yeah, the other shows are generally well-received. The Clone Wars takes a few seasons to get going (mostly for Lucas to slowly lose interest and hand the reins over to Filoni). Rebels is solid from the outset. Resistance, unfortunately, is a dumpster fire, but that's likely because Filoni didn't have much to do with it.

That is incredibly inaccurate and dismissive of lucas involvement in clone wars. He was pivotal has the idea guy through the whole thing

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Sidenote, who else is going to be tempted to start chanting Suuuuka! Suuuuka! when cooking?

Not me, it means "vomit" in Tagalog. :P

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

That is incredibly inaccurate and dismissive of lucas involvement in clone wars. He was pivotal has the idea guy through the whole thing

Until Disney bought the franchise, Lucas was always the idea guy. It's just that history has routinely shown that his ideas really only work well when filtered/edited by others. The Clone Wars is no exception. That's why Filoni's involvement was important - Lucas, left to his own devices, gives us Jar-Jar stepping in shit, saying "Eww, poodoo!" and thinking it's funny. Or gives us completely unnecessary (and outright baffling) fan service like Anakin building C-3PO, because there's nothing a slave needs more than a prissy protocol droid.

And it's not like the early seasons didn't have Lucas' hands all over everything. Lots (too many) episodes featuring Jar-Jar and/or C-3PO and really bad slapstick. It's only after that shit is tamped way, way down that the show finds its footing. Not to say it's perfect (the droid arc near the end of the run is frustrating for many reasons).

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

...why do you think it's the same guy? Just because he's got a long snout?

Empire had a protocol droid that was like 3PO but silver. Does that fall into the same category of shoehorning?

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    This griping about reusing/including pre-existing alien designs is triggering something in my head, regarding consistency versus continuity.

Like, right now I’m totally fine waiting out the Mandalorian and maybe checking it out in January. So I ain’t seen the show beyond Desk Time with Werner Herzog.

That said.

Star Wars is a great, big toybox. There’s tons of fun stuff in there that deserves to be used that’s currently underused. We already know what Jawas are, so why reinvent the wheel, and then have to introduce a new species that might be functionally the same as Jawas? Why waste storytelling time, and all the other resources involved in bringing these things to life in a high-end show, when we can explore an existing thing like Jawas a little bit more?

More to the point: Mandalorian strikes me as being a very grounded show. So they’re going to use Star Wars’ grounded stuff. So it doesn’t surprise me one lick that they’re featuring sandcrawlers and all that other fun stuff. It all tracks to me.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I think if it were, like, actually Greedo in the carbonite, or actually Salacious Crumb waiting to be spit roasted over an open flame in a desert town market, I'd also have a problem with that. But they're just more members of those species. It makes sense that there are more Rodians.

I think I'd actually take more of an issue with the show if they had featured Jawas in all but name, fulfilling the same role but with, like, big hats and a walking fortress instead of robes and a crawling fortress. That there are more Jawas and they do their thing on more than one world makes sense to me in a universe where interplanetary travel is so ubiquitous, and where these little gobliny dudes take such an interest in trading and technology.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    In Rogue One, it was the two Tatooine cantina jerks on Jedha right before the city is blown up that crossed the boundary of acceptable callback.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    In Rogue One, it was the two Tatooine cantina jerks on Jedha right before the city is blown up that crossed the boundary of acceptable callback.

Rouge one had a lot of problems. Id be interested in seeing the original cut to see if some of those were caused by the reshoots.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

That was cringe-worthy.

• Options
    I feel like people are making a strawman of my minor complaint. I just want to see more new stuff, and less familiar stuff. I'm not a fan of fanservice, and my favorite aspect of Star Wars is visiting new worlds and seeing weird aliens. Again, ESB is arguably the greatest sequel of all time because most of its ideas are new. Think of all the new, iconic ideas that ESB introduced: Yoda, force ghosts, AT-ATs, bounty hunters, asteroid slugs, Lando and Cloud City, carbon freezing, the list goes on. That's what I want- if this is going to be an expanded universe story, I want it to expand the universe. So far the most intriguing parts of The Mandalorian for me are Werner Herzog's character and the Mandalorian blacksmith, because I feel like that's stuff I haven't seen before and I'm curious to see where it goes.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    I think maybe one reason we aren’t seeing a lot of new stuff is that they’re not spending time on a lot of world building, choosing instead to let the established star wars stuff do it for them.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I feel like people are making a strawman of my minor complaint. I just want to see more new stuff, and less familiar stuff. I'm not a fan of fanservice, and my favorite aspect of Star Wars is visiting new worlds and seeing weird aliens. Again, ESB is arguably the greatest sequel of all time because most of its ideas are new. Think of all the new, iconic ideas that ESB introduced: Yoda, force ghosts, AT-ATs, bounty hunters, asteroid slugs, Lando and Cloud City, carbon freezing, the list goes on. That's what I want- if this is going to be an expanded universe story, I want it to expand the universe. So far the most intriguing parts of The Mandalorian for me are Werner Herzog's character and the Mandalorian blacksmith, because I feel like that's stuff I haven't seen before and I'm curious to see where it goes.

But the comparison of this against ESB is seriously unfair.

Empire was the second Star Wars movie ever and so anything in that movie outside of the main characters was new because they had left Luke’s home planet.

The Mandalorian comes out after 4 decades of established characters and creatures. And you’re saying that too much of what we’ve seen after 2 episodes “fanservice”. Seemingly because they used established alien races instead of creating a whole bunch of new ones.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I think it's an interesting observation because Jawas are represented as a sentient species. They're assholes, but they're people with language and culture. So like any other race in a corner of a galaxy which has had FTL space travel for literally thousands of years, they went to different planets. And where people go, they take their culture with them. Previously, they showed a planet where some random guy decided to open up a bar. I'm pretty sure that planet didn't have humans or bars before.

This reminds me of similar situations where we categorize things in specific ways and our brains seem to react to the dissonance with particular feelings, which we then try to rationalize afterwards, when the underlying truth of the matter is just that we like things a certain way and we don't like it when things aren't that way, even if they never were that way to begin with.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Six wrote: »
    I think maybe one reason we aren’t seeing a lot of new stuff is that they’re not spending time on a lot of world building, choosing instead to let the established star wars stuff do it for them.

This is one of the most unwinnable things with star wars though. Like the fandom wants both not properly respecting old star wars and not changing too much about it, and at the same time, demanding new things.

And most fans thresholds for both of those things are fucking radically different

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    For new stuff, we've already had:

- The ice monster
    - The whole bounty hunter guild setup (tracking fobs)
    - The blacksmith
    - A new ship (the Razor Crest)
    - The Mandalorian's rifle in action
    - The egg/cave rhino
    - A free Ugnaught
    - A freakin' baby Yoda

Not bad for a slowly paced 60 or so minutes. Not a lot of things that are all that important to the narrative, but a fair amount that reinforces the idea of this setting being weird and dangerous.

• Options
    Have we figured out how the tracking fobs work yet?

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Six wrote: »

This is one of the most unwinnable things with star wars though. Like the fandom wants both not properly respecting old star wars and not changing too much about it, and at the same time, demanding new things.

And most fans thresholds for both of those things are fucking radically different

It’s a tough line to toe, and I feel like the new movies have generally gone too far with new stuff, often for what clearly feels like merchandising reasons, which I guess is peak Star Wars in its own way. All the new troopers and ships and the security droids in R1, for instance.

I felt like TFA and TLJ didn’t have enough callbacks, to be honest. A Rodian in Max’s castle would’ve felt just fine.

So far, I think the Mandalorian has done an ok job. A little fan service-y but I haven’t really rolled my eyes at anything. Everyone’s tolerance is different, as you say.

This discussion has been closed.