As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    low rez twitter screenshots but eeyyyyyy

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Lalafell
    Nice!

I’m working on maxing my own crafters. It’s been nice to finally stop slacking on Blacksmith.

Enlong on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Stormblood Alliance Raids
    I can't believe that not only is FFT straight up canon, so is Vagrant Story.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    Ok, I spent the past few days doing all the HW/SB crafting/gathering quests
    The best is Blacksmith, both for being the only one to have two stories that I cared about, and also because Sekka went to think where I went to make all my craftables in 1.0

I thought the worst was going to be the Alchemist where they turned what should have been magic CSI into trying to make me feel sad about the guy who killed Minfilia's dad, I guess? But then it turns out the SB Weaving quest made me feel incredibly gross.

Notable shout-out to the Leatherworking villain being named Marmaduke.

• Options
    Lalafell
    Radius wrote: »
    The best is Blacksmith, both for being the only one to have two stories that I cared about, and also because Sekka went to think where I went to make all my craftables in 1.0

I thought the worst was going to be the Alchemist where they turned what should have been magic CSI into trying to make me feel sad about the guy who killed Minfilia's dad, I guess? But then it turns out the SB Weaving quest made me feel incredibly gross.

wait, I think I need a refresher of 1.X lore. I thought it was Thancred who killed Minfilia’s dad, through recklessness. He keeps revisiting this flashback where he caused a goobue to run wild during a parade.

Also ugh yeah that Weaver Questline.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Hyur
    Enlong wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »

wait, I think I need a refresher of 1.X lore. I thought it was Thancred who killed Minfilia’s dad, through recklessness. He keeps revisiting this flashback where he caused a goobue to run wild during a parade.

Also ugh yeah that Weaver Questline.
    As far as I've been able to piece together, F'lhaminn's and her husband were part of a faction that released the goobue as a political stunt, to ruin the parade and make the Monetarists look bad. Thancred beats himself up because he showed up to subdue the goobue too late to save Minfilia's dad from getting trampled. But blame did fall on him because he was dirty and poor looking, and... fuckin Ul'dah... so the Brass Blades assumed he must have been the culprit and chased him out of town.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    So I went back to Eorzea Cafe in Osaka again because I didn't realize until on my way out last time that the Shadowbringer class coasters were available, missed seeing them the first time. So I pick up one of those, an Ifrit coaster with my drink, and a Dancer class pin.
    HbzWdah.jpg
    And then the staff hands everyone Cactpot raffle tickets. I thought they only did that at Tokyo, but apparently they do it every so often during the day at the Osaka branch too. Anyway, third prize was a little Godbert Manderville pin, first prize was a bunch of food, but my ticket, juuroku-ban, happened to win second prize, a big placemat-sized Gold Saucer artwork.
    Bi4100N.jpg

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Elezen
    How far in advance do you need to book for the Osaka branch? I know Tokyo is like a week ahead of time.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    It varies. When you go to the touchscreen machine at Lawson to reserve a ticket, there are three categories available: single seats, 2-seat tables, and 4-seat tables. The latter are proportionally more expensive so those are more often still available. You could book a week (or more) ahead of time to make more sure you get what you wanted, or it could be still on sale a couple days beforehand, or it could be sold out way in advance.

There's one exception to that for the Tokyo cafe, and that is they'll announce on Twitter a day previously how many unclaimed tables they have, and if you're the first one standing in line outside the cafe as it opens at 11 AM, you can get in that way, the downside being you don't get the free coaster and drink that comes with reservation (on the other hand you're not paying 1000 yen up front either). That's how I got in to the Tokyo cafe last week.

Now, the Osaka cafe does things a bit differently. They still do the reservations things for weekends and for holidays. For standard weekdays, no reservations required. Just walk in and there'll generally be room. If you're a party of 4 and all the tables of that size are currently filled, it might be a wait, but I didn't have any delays logging in as a solo duty. They do charge a 500 yen cover fee at Osaka that gets you your choice of class coaster plus a little random magnet.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I wish I knew this when I was in Japan a year ago, I wanted to book tickets in Tokyo but it was too arcane a process to figure out (and I was the only one in my group of 3 who had even played a Final Fantasy game). If I had known there was a cafe in Osaka I would have done that. I think the 500Y cover fee for a coaster and a magnet is fine, it would cost just as much to pick up swag like that in a store. Let alone if you'd buy something similar online.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    The Loppi machine in Lawson method is actually fairly straightforward, but it does require enough Japanese understanding to get through the menus (which, fortunately, I did have the first time through). There are other methods that I haven't tried that involve going through the online website through a translator function and paying by card, then you go to the Lawson later and pick up the actual tickets, but I wouldn't know exactly how that way works.

If you know no Japanese, then the Osaka cafe on weekdays is so much simpler to set up. The staff doesn't know English either, but you can sorta-kinda work things out. They didn't have the translated menu on the side that Tokyo did, though. If you're hitting the menu without Japanese knowledge, then one thing you should probably be aware of is the difference between アルコール and ノンアルコール on the drink menu, signifying alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Also if you see something that looks like hot chocolate with big marshmallows in it, just remember that it's actually coffee with big marshmallows in it.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Elezen
    SabreMau wrote: »
    It varies. When you go to the touchscreen machine at Lawson to reserve a ticket, there are three categories available: single seats, 2-seat tables, and 4-seat tables. The latter are proportionally more expensive so those are more often still available. You could book a week (or more) ahead of time to make more sure you get what you wanted, or it could be still on sale a couple days beforehand, or it could be sold out way in advance.

There's one exception to that for the Tokyo cafe, and that is they'll announce on Twitter a day previously how many unclaimed tables they have, and if you're the first one standing in line outside the cafe as it opens at 11 AM, you can get in that way, the downside being you don't get the free coaster and drink that comes with reservation (on the other hand you're not paying 1000 yen up front either). That's how I got in to the Tokyo cafe last week.

Now, the Osaka cafe does things a bit differently. They still do the reservations things for weekends and for holidays. For standard weekdays, no reservations required. Just walk in and there'll generally be room. If you're a party of 4 and all the tables of that size are currently filled, it might be a wait, but I didn't have any delays logging in as a solo duty. They do charge a 500 yen cover fee at Osaka that gets you your choice of class coaster plus a little random magnet.

Oh heck yea. Ok I'm gonna talk my friends into going to the Osaka one then if we can just show up on a weekday.

I missed going last time because I didn't realize how far in advance you had to reserve for Tokyo and didn't have enough days left in the trip.

Thanks!

• Options
    You can also follow https://twitter.com/FFXIVEORZEAcafe before your next trip and hit Translate Tweet to keep up-to-date on any relevant notices.

For instance, this one says that, for Akihabara, all tickets have been sold for tomorrow (Saturday Feb 1) so there won't be any day-of ticket pickups.

And Osaka is open all day.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Elezen
    Yea I'll be in Osaka for the first few days of the trip so that's the one I'll shoot for if it's easy to get in there on a weekday.

Thanks again for the info!

And yea I know 0 Japanese so the Osaka route seems better overall. I have been to the country before though so no worries about the communication issues. All goes shockingly smoothly considering.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

So that's the one I read prior to visiting and the UI of the Loppi machines has changed since they took those screenshots. I asked for help from someone at the Lawson, but I couldn't convey what I meant well enough and we were on our way to somewhere else.

If possible: get in touch with your AirBnB host or hotel and ask them to sort out tickets in advance. Same goes for the Ghibli-museum and other popular reservation-only things (Gundam café, for example).

• Options
    Elezen
    Aldo wrote: »

So that's the one I read prior to visiting and the UI of the Loppi machines has changed since they took those screenshots. I asked for help from someone at the Lawson, but I couldn't convey what I meant well enough and we were on our way to somewhere else.

If possible: get in touch with your AirBnB host or hotel and ask them to sort out tickets in advance. Same goes for the Ghibli-museum and other popular reservation-only things (Gundam café, for example).

Yea I think the only reservation thingy we'll be doing is the borderless art exhibit and some car driving thing but that's all stuff we can set up beforehand.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Also if you see something that looks like hot chocolate with big marshmallows in it, just remember that it's actually coffee with big marshmallows in it.

who would ever play such an awful trick, my god

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Miqo'te

Yea I think the only reservation thingy we'll be doing is the borderless art exhibit and some car driving thing but that's all stuff we can set up beforehand.

The Team Lab Borderless in Tokyo? I was there in May and it's absolutely incredible. I will warn you that depending on the time of day be prepared in wait in line for an hour or more for some of the special rooms.

I'll also toss a recommendation for http://sumoexperience.com if that's of any interest to you. I happened to go when the May Sumo tournament was going on which turned everyone in my tour group into fans.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Elezen
    Cormac wrote: »

The Team Lab Borderless in Tokyo? I was there in May and it's absolutely incredible. I will warn you that depending on the time of day be prepared in wait in line for an hour or more for some of the special rooms.

I'll also toss a recommendation for http://sumoexperience.com if that's of any interest to you. I happened to go when the May Sumo tournament was going on which turned everyone in my tour group into fans.

Yea I don't mind some waiting. It's not like i can have that experience anywhere else. We can probably shoot for a weekday and early as well to see if that helps since we'll be in Tokyo for a full week of the trip.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Also if you see something that looks like hot chocolate with big marshmallows in it, just remember that it's actually coffee with big marshmallows in it.

Marshmallows are basically sugar, so seems fine to me when people put plenty of other sugars into coffee

• Options
    Lalafell
    Madican wrote: »

Marshmallows are basically sugar, so seems fine to me when people put plenty of other sugars into coffee

In a vacuum, yes. But if someone expecting hot chocolate gets coffee, that can be a nasty surprise.

—————

I just learned that Square’s online store is now selling plushies of the dreaded beaver.

• Options
    Ghibli Museum is actually one that they've added English-language support for on the Loppi machines.

However, the main problem there isn't the language barrier, it's getting tickets to the place before they're all sold out for the month. So getting someone already in Japan to acquire those ahead of time is recommended.

Out of curiosity, I went over to Lawson last night and looked up what they had available for Tokyo. Dates from the 1st to the 14th were clickable but I only saw seats remaining for Wed+Thu, 5th-6th and 12th-13th, with it already being sold out on other dates. The period from the 15th-28th was listed, but under a "not yet on sale" category.

Well, I can read that it says コーヒー, I just forgot to read it in that particular case.

• Options
    Miqo'te
    Stormblood 4.56 - A Requiem For Heroes

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Shadowbringers level 80 spoilers

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Roegadyn
    Trailer
    yoooooo that was totally Archades from 12 in that one shot!

edit:got my names mixed up

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Well holy crap.
    * So we’ve got the new Ultima weapon (Ruby Weapon, right?) as a trial.
    * Some sort of fight against a flurry of feathers(?) in Eden, followed by Centaur Ramuh and an Ifrit/Garuda tag team.
    * Not!Ardbert appears to be preaching Zodiark, which is bad.
    * The Scions appearing to help a wounded Cid, which is good.
    * Zenos in Amaurot, which is very bad.
    * And holy fuck, Meteor? Bahamut Meteor? In Norvrandt?!

I also saw the researcher who helped us in the Ivalice storyline, so I’m imagining some of those loose ends are gonna be settling soon.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Ivalice next xpac? Guess we'll see.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Lalafell
    turtleant wrote: »
    Ivalice next xpac? Guess we'll see.
    Ivalice as a nation is a lost society by this point. More likely we’d go to Dalmasca, which was built atop the ruins of Ivalice in this game’s timeline.

Then again, Dalmasca and Archadia and Jylland and such are all collectively called Ivalice in the XII-era games anyway, IIRC.

Enlong on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Ramuuuuuuuuuuu~
    chrome_kZgLrU8hBq.jpg
    chrome_I8o0LZ4sxF.jpg
    chrome_kafbXvLW98.jpg

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    apparently the 5.0 relic weapon questline is going to have the ivalice raid series questline as a prerequisite

take from that what you will

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    That scans with the 5.0 relics being referred to as ‘resistance weapons’

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I actually love the idea of side content properly building off of other, previous side content, and hope it happens more

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Well fuck. FanFest isn't in Vegas this time, but San Diego. This is most likely because they realized they needed to expand the size significantly after the fiasco last time.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.