As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    so, finished Realm Reborn, now I have many many quests available and I'm currently working through the Relic Reborn line to get Gae Bolg

what's the general way I should be getting better gear from here on out? I'm still wearing the lvl 50 Dragoon armor you get from the class quest and it's been serving me well but now that average item level is a thing I'm not sure what I should be prioritizing to stay competitive

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    so, finished Realm Reborn, now I have many many quests available and I'm currently working through the Relic Reborn line to get Gae Bolg

what's the general way I should be getting better gear from here on out? I'm still wearing the lvl 50 Dragoon armor you get from the class quest and it's been serving me well but now that average item level is a thing I'm not sure what I should be prioritizing to stay competitive

Doing any of the daily roulettes for a job over level 50 should give you tomestones, which are basically a currency to buy patch gear for each expansion. Pretty much all of your gear until you hit the current expansion will come from these vendors. The level 50 vendor one is in Revanants Toll in Mor Dhona

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te

When you run duties or roulettes as a level 50 or higher character you should earn something called Tomestones of Poetics. These can be exchanged in Mor Dhona for armor and upgrade mats that will last you at least through the start of Heavensward, upon which the MSQ will throw a ton of gear at you that will be much better than anything you can get right now. Make sure you unlock and follow through the crystal tower questline if you haven't already; it unlocks the first 24 man alliance raids that are a good source of poetics, xp, and also tie into the main story later.

I can't remember if the post ARR quests reward HQ armor or not, if they do it's possible you could skip buying poetics gear completely since it will pretty much get replaced as soon as you hit HW. Definitely still unlock the alliance raids though, those are super important.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I use a lot of fantasias
    ph blake wrote: »

When you run duties or roulettes as a level 50 or higher character you should earn something called Tomestones of Poetics. These can be exchanged in Mor Dhona for armor and upgrade mats that will last you at least through the start of Heavensward, upon which the MSQ will throw a ton of gear at you that will be much better than anything you can get right now. Make sure you unlock and follow through the crystal tower questline if you haven't already; it unlocks the first 24 man alliance raids that are a good source of poetics, xp, and also tie into the main story later.

I can't remember if the post ARR quests reward HQ armor or not, if they do it's possible you could skip buying poetics gear completely since it will pretty much get replaced as soon as you hit HW. Definitely still unlock the alliance raids though, those are super important.

There are gear rewards in the post-ARR quests now.

However, the 50,60,70 tomestone gear (all bought with Tomestone of Poetics now) will last all the way up to the level *5 dungeon gear in the next expansion if not upgraded or the level *7 dungeon gear if upgraded. The gear is upgraded by buying items with Poetics, Carbontwine and Carboncoat are the upgrade items for the ARR tomestone Ironworks gear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Ya I would second unlocking the lvl 50 alliance raid (the crystal tower stuff).

It's not because you need gear there, but because the story stuff is pretty important to the main quest in the latest expansion.

Don't worry about being undergeared or not knowing the fights. Everybody else will super out gear what the fights were designed for and can easily carry you through all 3 raids. Hell a bunch of the fights you won't even see most of the mechanics because the bosses just get burned down so fast now.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Ya I would second unlocking the lvl 50 alliance raid (the crystal tower stuff).

It's not because you need gear there, but because the story stuff is pretty important to the main quest in the latest expansion.

Don't worry about being undergeared or not knowing the fights. Everybody else will super out gear what the fights were designed for and can easily carry you through all 3 raids. Hell a bunch of the fights you won't even see most of the mechanics because the bosses just get burned down so fast now.

Crystal Tower will be required in a month, so you may as well get it done now.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    turtleant wrote: »
    Healing is like a upside down curve

Easy at the start cause you got like two buttons, annoying in the middle cause you don't have your full kit, and then easy again at level cap with your full kit (in normal mode content of course).

Getting level synched below 30 on SCH is the most boring dungeon run you'll ever do. Even with fairy heals not being as strong as they used to, you'll still spend 99% of the run just pushing Ruin 1 over and over.

My life in healing savage content as a SCH is basically finding whatever permutation of OGCD heals works to prevent death and then maximize casting Broil on GCD while using Energy Drain for damage rather than healing. Well for most of the fight. Then in the fights where it says ok now we are just going to AoE repeatedly for lethal and increasingly faster I throw the healing kitchen sink at it and hope it dies before enrage or I run out of mana/ability cooldowns. It’s really only stressful when you first figure out mechanics, when unexpected damage happens, or when a heal check is thrown your way.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular

However, the 50,60,70 tomestone gear (all bought with Tomestone of Poetics now) will last all the way up to the level *5 dungeon gear in the next expansion if not upgraded or the level *7 dungeon gear if upgraded. The gear is upgraded by buying items with Poetics, Carbontwine and Carboncoat are the upgrade items for the ARR tomestone Ironworks gear.

Also of note is that the location to upgrade the lvl 50/ironworks gear is in Hyrstmill/North Shroud I believe

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

Also of note is that the location to upgrade the lvl 50/ironworks gear is in Hyrstmill/North Shroud I believe

AKA the reason I only ever upgraded one of my Ironweaks gear sets.

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    so crystal tower is unlocked outside of msq then huh, definitely haven’t done that

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

you GOTTA upgrade so you can DYE it man!!!!!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    zucchini wrote: »
    so crystal tower is unlocked outside of msq then huh, definitely haven’t done that

Yes and no. The quest line is unlocked by progressing the MSQ and then is it's own thing. This is how 99% of raids and endgame trials work, though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    admanb wrote: »

you GOTTA upgrade so you can DYE it man!!!!!

Past my first class I almost never used the default looks for leveling gear. Transmogs all the way.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    zucchini wrote: »

I believe the questline starts with an NPC with a + mark quest in Mor Dhona after you finish the ARR 2.0 story and see the credits for the first time.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Lalafell
    ah, makes sense, I haven’t been back since then heh

ya boy loves the snow

zucchini on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Steam would like to inform me that FFXIV and Shadowbringers are 50% off https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/39210/view/2516898401266340696 with sale ending on Thursday.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    for crystal tower, just talk to the mysterious man or whatever title they gave him next to the mor dhona aetherite, they made him shockingly hard to miss

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Specifically, you want to get the Ironworks gear at lv 50, Shire at lv 60, and Scaevan at lv 70.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Roegadyn
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tk9fG0X0HA

mr happy starts another series seeing what eureka is like to do now starting from scratch

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    should i do eureka

i have no idea what it is but i know the armor looks cool and i want it, but i don’t know if i want to actually take the time to do it

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Depends on your tolerance for grinding. The story is interesting and Baldesion Arsenal is a really cool dungeon that has mechanics not seen anywhere else in the game, but it takes forever to get through all the zones.

Even if all you are after is the armor and have no interest in some of the other challenges or BA you're still looking at a ton of time just to raise your elemental level.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    (Guess MrHappy is running out of content to ramble on about. I don't really like his YT-persona, and he usually discusses stuff that I don't surface with in game, like the raiding scene, the hunts or other group-content. I did genuinely enjoy his travel vlog when he was at FanFest)
    crwth wrote: »
    should i do eureka

i have no idea what it is but i know the armor looks cool and i want it, but i don’t know if i want to actually take the time to do it

Well, check out MrHappy above, then. The dude is probably going into a looooot of detail.

Aldo on
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I threw myself into the ARR relic weapon quest, and that book part was like going back in time to MMORPGS from the 2000’s. So much tedious repeated grinding. The next part is even longer, though it’s just stuff you can do on the side instead of a direct slog.

Gonna...gonna be worth it?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Au'ra
    Anima weapons are easily the least painful relics to make.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The book step is, by far, the most annoying part of the ARR relic quest.

The crafted/desynth items are kinda dumb too, but for the books you are just at the mercy of rare fate spawns.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    "Tolerance for grinding," eh?
    O93X4mm.jpg
    About how much longer a grind is Eureka than going through these twice?

• Options
    Au'ra
    You're insane, so fish. Lingonberry times longer.

Ugh, the problem with Eureka is that you have to level up before you can really work on a relic stage, then repeat that three more times. With some light grinds thrown in for good measure. Not sure how bad all that is now though...

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Polaritie wrote: »
    You're insane, so fish. Lingonberry times longer.

Ugh, the problem with Eureka is that you have to level up before you can really work on a relic stage, then repeat that three more times. With some light grinds thrown in for good measure. Not sure how bad all that is now though...

I was able to do 1-60 in...about 2 weeks of pretty intense play.

The challenges luckily give a lot of cup, and soloing is much easier, and the mats to make the eureka chest pieces are fairly cheap

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Viera
    I have finally made it to the Shadowbringers MSQ!

Also, Trusts are real slow.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I bought a 60 day card for this a while back, so I was playing for about 2 weeks and then got distracted by other games and things going on.
    I got an email a day or two ago saying my sub expires on the 9th.

God I hate subscription games, I can never take a break without feeling like I'm wasting money, I wasted a bunch of my sub because I wanted to do other stuff.

Game-wise, I'm now done with 3.3, and started 3.4. The wrapup for Heavensward was really nice!

• Options
    Roegadyn
    trusts are deliberately designed to be less appealing than a run with other people: they're slower and less loot drops overall

but they're good for practice or avoiding long queues (which makes the fact that they're only a thing in the newest content pretty ass-backwards)

• Options
    Au'ra

Oh god I lost it at "Mutt". And then Feo Ul nearly killed me.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    trusts are deliberately designed to be less appealing than a run with other people: they're slower and less loot drops overall

but they're good for practice or avoiding long queues (which makes the fact that they're only a thing in the newest content pretty ass-backwards)
    Less loot, yeah, but you're guaranteed to win all the loot that drops. When leveling multiple roles at once, that can come in handy.

Still, I prefer to run actual parties anyway, as the queues time seem to improve (even for DPS) as I level up from the 71 dungeon to the 73 to the 75, currently on the 77. And right now it's like 8 million XP per run. Also, you have to level up the trust NPCs from 71 to 73 before you can run the 73 dungeon with them anyway, so going the trust route means you have to run the trusts a lot if you plan to rely on them all the way to Mt. Gulg or beyond.

• Options
    Viera
    Sterica wrote: »

nice! also yeah as cool as it is to do dungeons with the scions it's a lot faster with real players.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I love running dungeons with trusts. Yeah, they're pretty slow (as opposed to squadrons, who absolutely tear through the dungeons they are able to do), but I still like how they let me do stuff at my own pace. It doesn't feel like a commitment to start a dungeon, because I can wander off in the middle of a pull without having to worry about bothering someone. A nice controlled environment for me to start figuring out how to play the class I'm leveling "for reals", since my path to level 71 is usually just squadron dungeons, beast quests, and main story roulettes.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Sterica wrote: »

nice! also yeah as cool as it is to do dungeons with the scions it's a lot faster with real players.

Depends. Doing slow runs with the Trusts can sometimes be faster than doing the same dungeon with DPS queue times, if you're leveling.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Viera
    yeah the net time saved from waiting for particularly long DPS queues is the only efficiency argument for running them for experience instead of queuing

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.