As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] WWE roster receives "quiet demotion" to developmental performance center

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »

This is great news, looks like TNT's pretty satisfied with how Dynamite's doing.

Not only are they renewing Dynamite to 2023, but also adding a new show? Hell yeah.

Weird no one is hyping up the new show as if no one on the roster actually knows yet.

With Cody and Tony being such WCW marks its totally going to be AEW Saturday night

I wonder if it's just going to be Dark But On TV.

If they're going to continue to push storylines via Dark I would appreciate it.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Dave says the deal is $175mil and has a clause for 2024 if TNT wants it (can’t imagine they wouldn’t). No word on what the new show is but Dark isn’t going away

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    A second TV show is both good and potentially bad

They have enough talent at this point that not everyone gets time to establish a character and build a following and a second should would help with that

But also it is very easy, as history shows, to make a second show with no other reason than MORE MONEY and it becomes a wasteland where interesting stuff goes to die

So they better take some time and figure out what a second AEW show needs to be to be worth watching outside of "more wrestling"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    As someone who doesn't have access to Dynamite, I really like the format of Dark.

Yeah, you get maybe too many Brandon Cutler and Librarian matches, but almost all of the top talent has had at least one match or Dark exclusive promo. B and C storylines get some movement. The recap segments are fine without bogging down the action.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Dave says the deal is $175mil and has a clause for 2024 if TNT wants it (can’t imagine they wouldn’t). No word on what the new show is but Dark isn’t going away

As a way of comparison, FX usually spends 3-4.5 million per hour of television. American Crime Story was like 6 million per episode. Other shows on other networks can go higher and Netflix / Amazon are even more psychotic in what they pay.

TNT got a helluva cheap deal by comparison / that's not great for AEW, but at least they'll be on the air.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »

As a way of comparison, FX usually spends 3-4.5 million per hour of television. American Crime Story was like 6 million per episode. Other shows on other networks can go higher and Netflix / Amazon are even more psychotic in what they pay.

TNT got a helluva cheap deal by comparison / that's not great for AEW, but at least they'll be on the air.

Other shows can't make money by selling tickets to a live show so that helps.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Other shows can't make money by selling tickets to a live show so that helps.
    It does, definitely, and that clearly would've allowed AEW to be able to accept such a shitty deal in comparison to other TV shows. They have their shows in venues with tickets and presumably can also have much better merchandising than most other shows. That matters.

It doesn't change the fact that it's a crappy deal, though. Ideally, they'd want to use venues and merchandising to add on to lucrative TV deals, not subsidize them.

Being on air is super important, though, and having several years of certainty about where they're airing also matters.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Meltz is reporting that Dark will continue, and additional matches will be taped for the new show at Dynamite. It won't be a second live show.

Also that the new deal with TNT pays out $175 million over 4 years, which is a lot better than the revenue split and production costs deal they had before. And there is an option to renew for a 5th year at a significantly increased rate.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Also that the new deal with TNT pays out $175 million over 4 years, which is a lot better than the revenue split and production costs deal they had before. And there is an option to renew for a 5th year at a significantly increased rate.
    Wow. No wonder they said TNT only cared about 400k viewers, their previous terms were terrible for AEW.

I hope AEW rises over the next few years to improve their deal / there are incentives baked in. Advertisement (like during the NBA games) is probably part of it, so that's a positive.

• Options
    So this is a bunch of context and tweets, it's long so I'll spoil it
    HHH was a dick to Paige at 1:10 of this going "I'd like to see them live healthy lives....Edge has kids...Paige..you know, she probably has a few she doesn't know of..."

Paige admitted a personal detail previously about her life (she had a miscarriage when she was 17 and can't have kids) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkc2xi81l2M

The "joke" hasn't gone unnoticed, thankfully

Thawmus wrote: »
    Did...did he think someone would find that funny? Or did he just lose his filter for his Vince + HHH closed door bantering?

It's both bad and an uncommon fuckup from HHH.

He's sorry if she or anyone else was offended by it

• Options
    How have celebrities not learned to stop after sorry and not add the "if I offended you" caveat?

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    How have celebrities not learned to stop after sorry and not add the "if I offended you" caveat?

"Those other people? They screwed up. But me? I'm special and correct."

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Not to white knight for HHH, because he's done plenty wrong, but I feel like he's genuine here. He has made this exact joke about himself in the past, after all. Probably he views Paige as "one of the boys" and joked about her like he would joke about anyone else, and forgot that being sexually promiscuous has very, very different connotations for men and for women.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    it's a bad apology but I didn't even expect a bad apology, so congrats for sailing over an extremely low bar, trips

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Not to white knight for HHH, because he's done plenty wrong, but I feel like he's genuine here. He has made this exact joke about himself in the past, after all. Probably he views Paige as "one of the boys" and joked about her like he would joke about anyone else, and forgot that being sexually promiscuous has very, very different connotations for men and for women.

For me its less the promiscuous part which is awful, but can't paige like not have kids at all due to a medical issue? I know from women in my life that kind of pain is existential and never really goes away. To mistakenly joke about that is like serious yikes territory.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

I actually agree, that's probably where he was going with it because honestly the only way the joke works is if Paige is a dude.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    "If I offended you" always reads as an implied, "but if I didn't...pretty good joke, right?"

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Rocky Johnson passed

That sucks dude was a legend

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Rocky Johnson passed

That sucks dude was a legend

Just got that notification

75 is like... 130 in wrestling years.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

Looks like Show 2 will be Dark, with some of the Road To Wherever-style content added in.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    TNA's Twitch channel got banned for airing the RVD segment yesterday un-blurred (video in the spoiler because there's still butt in the thumbnail)

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    lmfao

• Options
    Holy shit, Rocky Johnson passed?

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Justin Roberts lookin' fresh

EDIT: THE HUMAN SUPLEX MACHINE ORANGE CASSIDY

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    These kinds of matches are when its ok to be an overbooked mess cause its all about the spectacle

• Options
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    lol at Cody bringing up the Rosie show appearance

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Crippl3 on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I fucking love the look of the title cards for Bash at the Beach.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Are they trying to bury everyone except Shida in this match with the "most polished" line

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Just starting Dynamite now, so much love for Excalibur dropping a Monkey Island reference.

• Options
    the fuck was that?!

• Options
    Aubrey got over so fast the crowd cheers for her over long time fan favorite refs, Bryce and Ric Knox.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Do you think Rosemary is still in Allie's head somewhere, and that's why she turned into the Evil Bunny

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Was wondering if we'd ever see her wrestle again actually. She didn't really impress me much the few times she wrestled in AEW as Allie, but I would still watch the development.

I guess she wrestles as Allie outside of AEW?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Was wondering if we'd ever see her wrestle again actually. She didn't really impress me much the few times she wrestled in AEW as Allie, but I would still watch the development.

I guess she wrestles as Allie outside of AEW?

She was Allie in TNA and also wrestled as Cherry Bomb elsewhere.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    That nut shot was great, he sold it really well.

This discussion has been closed.