As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half-Life] 25th Anniversary Update and Documentary

1131415161719»

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I haven't played Alyx so I haven't read the spoiler but you can say literally the same thing word for word about Episode 2. "Seems like it would be odd to end it the way they did if they had no intention of following up with it eventually." And yet here we are!

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I think around release someone on the Alyx team said they are working on the next thing, but no one should believe that a critical mass of people at Valve managed to push their desks together such as an actual video game will result until there is at least a trailer.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Really any take other than just a note of sheer despair was worth it. I do feel like Alyx added a breath of fresh hope to the series.
    Rather than just, welp "Eli's dead," we have, "Alyx has been taken but OH BOY Freeman is back and its clobbering time."

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    Half-Life Source: Remastered V3? What is this? I just started a replay of the original, but curious what this is.

Its a mod that fixes a lot of the bugs with the Source engine, adds in the black mesa OST, and generally just makes everything better.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Interesting video.

https://youtu.be/s9aCwCKgkLo

My personal summary: Valve is weird video game-ass video game company that is neither the best or the worst; Gabe is a weird Libertarian billionaire that owns a staffed super yacht.

Also this is hilarious, and extremely Valve:

nyur3zyps2ek.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Valve's management style was great when you could pop out a industry shaking game in 1-2 years with a team of 30. Now it takes 4-6 years and requires a team of hundreds, and they don't shake the industry quite the way they used to, and Valve's management style hasn't adapted because they basically have infinite money from Steam so they don't need to adapt.

I've said it before, but it's not that Valve doesn't make games anymore, they just rarely finish them.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    *walks into thread*

"IS IT HL THR...oh"

*exits thread*

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Crippl3 with the scoop.
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Valve put out a documentary on Half-Life 1 for its 25th birthday on Sunday:

https://youtu.be/TbZ3HzvFEto?si=vxI5VfWDaW4MhUhA

They also released an update for the game, featuring new multiplayer maps, the demo Uplink campaign that was never released outside of magazine and hardware promos, QOL changes like UI scaling and wide-screen FOVs, controller and Steam Deck support, bug fixes, and more: https://half-life.com/en/halflife25

Couple of truly ancient bugs on that fix list!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm still not 100 percent sure what the difference is between Secret Tape (who did this documentary) and NoClip (the guys who run Secret Tape and do independent documentaries), but if there was ever anybody to do this, it'd be them.

I guess one is client funded and one isn't? Doesn't that just muddy the waters on what being "independent" starts to mean?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I'm still not 100 percent sure what the difference is between Secret Tape (who did this documentary) and NoClip (the guys who run Secret Tape and do independent documentaries), but if there was ever anybody to do this, it'd be them.

I guess one is client funded and one isn't? Doesn't that just muddy the waters on what being "independent" starts to mean?

Which is probably why they're putting it under a different label. Noclip is the patreon supported independant venue and Secret Tape is the sponsored venue.

Earlier this year I founded a production company (@findSecretTape) to produce larger, client funded documentaries that are outside the grasp & remit of Noclip.

Our first feature, a collaboration with
    @valvesoftware to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Half-Life, is now live.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    But isn't the whole idea of NoClip that they're independent and do what they want and can't be influenced by outside factors as much?

Just feels like a shell corp.

If they want to be 2 Player Productions, they should just do so.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    But isn't the whole idea of NoClip that they're independent and do what they want and can't be influenced by outside factors as much?

Just feels like a shell corp.

If they want to be 2 Player Productions, they should just do so.

I'm not sure what's the problem here; he's not spending patreon money on this and isn't even releasing it under the Noclip brand. It's not like he's going to stop making stuff for NoClip.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I would guess the issue is that he is being paid by the company he's doing the documentary of while wearing the secret tape hat, and selling a patreon for doing documentaries that are supposed to be independent and unbiased of potentially those same developers while wearing the noclip hat. He can't really claim to be unbiased if he now does a noclip documentary about some other valve product, say. Hypothetically.

But I don't know how important that actually is, has noclip ever done an unflattering documentary?
    Like I didn't even know noclip was supposed to be unbiased expose reporting or anything. Looking at their youtube video list it sure is a lot of stuff that looks like publishers using them for marketing.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Basically every independent company (like, indie-anything really) does client work, usually to help fund their independent work. Having a separate label for client work and non-client-work is pretty normal.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I mean I only remember noclip from their massively positive fallout 76 documentary that released during the very negative fallout 76 launch. it was very behind the scenes and I in no way took it as 'unbiased', so not sure what the controversy is or even why there needs to be a separate label

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Man is it good to hit up so HL1DM again. Just oof, right in the nostalgia and old memories.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    But I don't know how important that actually is, has noclip ever done an unflattering documentary?

I don't know about unflattering but they have cut some context out of stuff to fit in a runtime, and the internet being the internet just takes it all like fact all along. Like Matpat or VaatiVidya. The FFXIV 1.0 video for example, skips out on a lot of the reasons why exp got capped or how entire high level zones were completely empty, etc.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    I've finally got around to playing through the anniversary update and I'm in power up and, guys...

They fixed the bug where a door you have to open with a valve wouldn't stop playing it's sound and if you opened and closing it, it would stock the noise and create an utter cacophany.

They fixed it.

Holy shit.

Best update ever.

Also they fixed two bugs I reported on their github over ten years ago.

Crazy!

• Options
    I can't believe they fixed the Blast Pit tentacle.

• Options
    Finally finished this a few days ago.

Firstly I played on normal instead of on hard like I usually do, and man, I don't know if it was the update or if it was always like that, but the game was just too damn easy. I constantly had too much ammo. Civvie is wrong, play Half-Life on hard.

Secondly, this was a fantastic update taht fixed so many issues that had been introduced to Half-Life over the decades as Valve kept messing with it. Not everything is perfect, you can stun the Gman by shooting him, which breaks his scripting and can allow you, in the right circumstances, to catch up to him and wail on him with a crowbar.

Tried playing Blue Shift, but it's wasn't updated like Half-Life was so I think I'm just going to wait and see if they get around to updating Half-Life's mods and expansions as well.

Bit bummed Half-Life: Source is getting thrown in the rubbish bin instead of being fixed. Playing Half-Life with ragdolls and cool water effects was nice.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Firstly I played on normal instead of on hard like I usually do, and man, I don't know if it was the update or if it was always like that, but the game was just too damn easy. I constantly had too much ammo. Civvie is wrong, play Half-Life on hard.

Secondly, this was a fantastic update taht fixed so many issues that had been introduced to Half-Life over the decades as Valve kept messing with it. Not everything is perfect, you can stun the Gman by shooting him, which breaks his scripting and can allow you, in the right circumstances, to catch up to him and wail on him with a crowbar.

Tried playing Blue Shift, but it's wasn't updated like Half-Life was so I think I'm just going to wait and see if they get around to updating Half-Life's mods and expansions as well.

Bit bummed Half-Life: Source is getting thrown in the rubbish bin instead of being fixed. Playing Half-Life with ragdolls and cool water effects was nice.

I don't know...I liked explosives turning people into bones and hearts.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

I don't know...I liked explosives turning people into bones and hearts.

Don't forget skulls; some of those soldiers were hiding multiple skulls somewhere inside of them.