As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Stay Alert Home Alert Stay Household

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well at least this hopefully means my aunt can stop working. I don't think opticians are exactly essential right now.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'm curious how exercise is defined. Can I take Burpette out for a bike ride? How about to the park to run about?

I kind of imagine cops aren't going to pester people who are outside if they're clearly with just family and keeping distance from others.

Like I intend to keep going to my allotment and I would assume that is fine because I'm not with anyone.

Yeah I am going to continue to go to the artificial boulder near where I live cos there's never anyone there and I go alone

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    It all seems a bit moot if millions of us have to go into work, presumably with each other.

Oh well, at least I'll get my exercise walking in, for now. Until work activity is relocated to the 'disaster recovery' site, conveniently situated 12 miles from where I live (bus journey into the town centre, bus journey out to the other side of town. Then the same again on the way back)

Well we're only meant to be travelling for 'essential work' right now so if that gets some actual definition and enforcement that should cut things down a lot.

They won't though, because they're doing everything possible to have to actually pay out any compensation or wage support.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Bear in mind there is still potential for stricter conditions.

I expect the exercising outdoors bit to be ruled out sooner or later. I believe Italy did the same.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    This is going to be a little crass but maybe because I'm already under lockdown. It is pretty simple. You stay inside. The police fine you if you aren't following the rules. We got literally the same instructions with few hiccups. There will be Corona parties that need to be broken up. But you all will figure it out too. ♥️

• Options
    We are being issued work certificates if it comes to no work lockdown.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'm curious how exercise is defined. Can I take Burpette out for a bike ride? How about to the park to run about?

I kind of imagine cops aren't going to pester people who are outside if they're clearly with just family and keeping distance from others.

Like I intend to keep going to my allotment and I would assume that is fine because I'm not with anyone.

Yeah I am going to continue to go to the artificial boulder near where I live cos there's never anyone there and I go alone

Or, consider:

i703n5euanq1.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I wonder what happens if someone's in the middle of having, like, their kitchen or bathroom redone. Now the builders won't be allowed back to finish the job, presumably?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I'm really surprised that there isn't detailed guidance ready to go. That seems pretty basic.

Twitter is exploding right now with different people claiming different interpretations of the detail.

In particular, there doesn't seem to be a definition of essential retail

No guidance on what happens where parents have kids but live apart

• Options
    Just yesterday saw an article about the NHS saying they still needed people to donate blood, and that they'd seen a drop in donations in the last couple of weeks. Will going to a blood donation count as essential I wonder? Lot of people will be pretty fucked if everyone stops donating.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    I would have thought essential retail are places selling either groceries or pharmacies, and that's pretty much it.

I was told today I'd be working from home for the next 2 weeks so that's nicely timed I suppose. Just hope I don't get randomly stopped tomorrow; one more day i promise guv!

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I've seen more expansive lists of shops remaining opened posted online but several different versions, none pointing to an authoritative source

Edit: e.g. a person whose family runs a corner shop. Is that essential retail? Should they be remaining open? They stock from a cash and carry, should they be continuing to do that?

japan on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    This is going to be a little crass but maybe because I'm already under lockdown. It is pretty simple. You stay inside. The police fine you if you aren't following the rules. We got literally the same instructions with few hiccups. There will be Corona parties that need to be broken up. But you all will figure it out too. ♥️

To be fair, we got here over about two weeks, right? For the Brits it’s all happening in an instant.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    japan wrote: »
    I've seen more expansive lists of shops remaining opened posted online but several different versions, none pointing to an authoritative source

Edit: e.g. a person whose family runs a corner shop. Is that essential retail? Should they be remaining open? They stock from a cash and carry, should they be continuing to do that?

Hardware shops? Unless people are just meant to let their homes fall into disrepair if something breaks. Also pet supply shops? There are probably a bunch of things that can be considered essential. Do we have Gamestops in this country, because obviously they count.

Also are retailers still allowed to do online orders and deliveries even if they're otherwise considered non-essential?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So I either go early in the morning or late at night when I have to go outside. Like before 8 oclock when I need to go grocery shopping because there is fewer people around then. I also only buy food that has been packaged, so its easier to clean once I get home. And you better believe I clean it with soap. Not joking. I am not spending my time locked down, just to get sick because somebody coughed on my tv dinner.

When it comes to walking for exercise, I time to after dark. That way all the kids are inside, most people are back from work and watching TV. No traffic, only a few people walking dogs. Even then its 4-5 meters when I meet somebody going the opposite way. That 2 meter rule is a minimum, not a maximum and if I got room. Like last night I saw a guy walking down the sidewalk I had to walk, I crossed the road to avoid him like he was black and I was a middle aged white lady. I am not talking to him anyways. It doesn't hurt either me or him. So why not go the extra mile?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    As with most things this government has done recently, this announcement on the surface seems great but is sorely lacking in practical details.

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

To be fair, we got here over about two weeks, right? For the Brits it’s all happening in an instant.
    Good point!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    As with most things this government has done recently, this announcement on the surface seems great but is sorely lacking in practical details.
    To be fair (a phrase I never thought I'd use for Boris) the practical details are so complicated they could take weeks to figure out, and they know they don't have that much time to do it.
    They know this is going to be horribly complicated and they don't have all the angles figured out, but figuring it out as we go is the only way it's going to actually get done at all.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Johnson currently chairing a Cobra meeting and is due to address the nation at 2030.

Rumours that much stricter lockdown will be announced.

I misread that for a second and thought it was in 2030, not at 2030.

I am concerned about my sister, her partner works for the British transport police, and he's probably going to be considered essential.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My next door neighbour is a veterinary nurse. Her work WhatsApp group has apparently exploded, no-one knows what's going on or how "essential" they are (you know, officially). Thankfully she's got the next couple of days off for it to get figured out. Also she got us a bunch of groceries today. This lady is basically a saint. :+1:

Jazz on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I wonder what happens if someone's in the middle of having, like, their kitchen or bathroom redone. Now the builders won't be allowed back to finish the job, presumably?

I mean, we're halfway through leaving the country. The movers are coming in two weeks. Well, maybe now none of them are. Or maybe one is? I shall have to ask them. And assuming they are coming, my wife has to get to the airport, to get on a flight to Canada. Is that essential? I think so, but who knows. If the movers have come and gone, she won't have anywhere to sleep. If we can argue that repatriation flights are essential travel, can he get a lift to the airport from a friend? Or take a taxi? Will taxi's even be running? Will the repat flights even show up?

We are having a...not great day right now.

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/how-coronavirus-advice-from-boris-johnson-has-changed

Kind of an eye-opener to see it in black and white all in one place.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    My next door neighbour is a veterinary nurse. Her work WhatsApp group has apparently exploded, no-one knows what's going on or how "essential" they are (you know, officially). Thankfully she's got the next couple of days off for it to get figured out. Also she got us a bunch of groceries today. This lady is basically a saint. :+1:

According to the BBC:
    Only a small group of retailers will be allowed to stay open including:
    • Supermarkets
    • Pharmacies
    • Newsagents
    • Hardware stores
    • Banks
    • Pet shops
    • Post Offices
    • Petrol stations
    • Vets
    • Retail shops in hospitals
    • Laundrettes
    • Funeral homes

However, retailers will still be able to take online orders and deliver items to your home.

So it looks like your neighbour is officially Essential, which means it's the vet's choice what they do.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    @CroakerBC :bro: I can't imagine how you guys must be feeling right now. All the best to you both and I hope it all works out for you.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I don't see how that stops panic buyers who deem 10000 rolls of toilet paper essential shopping.

• Options
    I would dearly love to know where the BBC are getting this detail

It isn't in the pdfs on gov.uk (which themselves don't completely align with the content of the announcement)

Then there are perplexing tweets from individuals within government like this one:

From a member of the cabinet which contradicts both the announcement and the letter of the published guidance

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Any idea if takeaways are allowed to remain open? Brother in law runs one and doesn't know if it counts as 'food delivery'

• Options
    The secretary of state for housing has your back on that one, too

But who knows

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    I'm really surprised that there isn't detailed guidance ready to go. That seems pretty basic.

Twitter is exploding right now with different people claiming different interpretations of the detail.

In particular, there doesn't seem to be a definition of essential retail

No guidance on what happens where parents have kids but live apart

Working out how to implement a lot of these things will take days, going into weeks of work. We're definitely in a "announce what must happen, then Government must work out practicalities" type of policymaking.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    I don't see how that stops panic buyers who deem 10000 rolls of toilet paper essential shopping.

In NZ we had a lockdown announced with 48 hours notice, taking affect tonight. Still had queues for supermarkets wrapping around street blocks, despite the messaging being very explicit that essential services including supermarkets will remain open throughout.

Some people just cannot behave rationally.

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    The secretary of state for housing has your back on that one, too

But who knows

Thanks. He's decided to close up for the lockdown anyway; he's been really stressed about the health of his staff since the virus started spreading in the UK.

• Options
    From Friday the 13th of this month, quoting to go with the perfect new thread title:
    Jazz wrote: »
    This seems as good a time as any to dust this off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnd1jKcfBRE

Edit: fuck it, here's a link to the playlist of the whole series of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WsuaYh_hkg&list=PL3Dx8Yxab-uFpPdulB4g2rw5bpJIFlcPU

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    exis wrote: »

In NZ we had a lockdown announced with 48 hours notice, taking affect tonight. Still had queues for supermarkets wrapping around street blocks, despite the messaging being very explicit that essential services including supermarkets will remain open throughout.

Globally the trend is country leaders saying "We will not be doing this" and 2 weeks later saying "Actually, we will be doing this".

It's not the fact that they're not listening to the messaging, it's just they're aware the messaging can change on extremely short notice. Last week, Boris was assuring everyone that pubs were allowed to remain open - now they're not. This week, supermarkets are allowed to remain open - people are saying "is that still going to be true next week?"

It's the price bullshitters in chief are paying for trying to put a positive spin on everything. Now they've had to walk almost everything back, people REALLY don't believe them at a time they should. Jacinda in NZ has been refreshingly honest and direct in contrast with other leaders, but the fact that Level 4 pandemic pretty much didn't even exist in public consciousness a week ago has people thinking "They've been telling us restrictions will get more severe - what if next week there's a Level 5?"

Archangle on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Um, well fuck. I'm due to exchange / complete on a new house tomorrow, move next week, have handed in my 1-month notice on my flat, and now I'm pretty sure it's illegal for me to, you know, actually move? That's if I can find a removal company who will even do it.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    V1m wrote: »
    It all seems a bit moot if millions of us have to go into work, presumably with each other.

Oh well, at least I'll get my exercise walking in, for now. Until work activity is relocated to the 'disaster recovery' site, conveniently situated 12 miles from where I live (bus journey into the town centre, bus journey out to the other side of town. Then the same again on the way back)

I think the point is that you're not allowed to go into work at all, unless your job is considered essential...

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Um, well fuck. I'm due to exchange / complete on a new house tomorrow, move next week, have handed in my 1-month notice on my flat, and now I'm pretty sure it's illegal for me to, you know, actually move? That's if I can find a removal company who will even do it.

You and me both mate.
    I have no advice for you right now, I need to call our movers in the (Canadian) morning and see if they’re still coming to ship our stuff from the UK.

If it’s a small move you might be OK if they send one person, or possibly they send two and you go out for an hour while they pack up your stuff. But honestly don’t know.

Will update you if I hear from my movers before you hear from yours; if you don’t have any booked, you can ring round. I suspect some will say they’re key workers for transit (moving freight essentially) so stay open. But yeah.

ETA: Also, not going to lie @Jazz , I am not having a great day right now.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »

Globally the trend is country leaders saying "We will not be doing this" and 2 weeks later saying "Actually, we will be doing this".

It's not the fact that they're not listening to the messaging, it's just they're aware the messaging can change on extremely short notice. Last week, Boris was assuring everyone that pubs were allowed to remain open - now they're not. This week, supermarkets are allowed to remain open - people are saying "is that still going to be true next week?"

It's the price bullshitters in chief are paying for trying to put a positive spin on everything. Now they've had to walk almost everything back, people REALLY don't believe them at a time they should. Jacinda in NZ has been refreshingly honest and direct in contrast with other leaders, but the fact that Level 4 pandemic pretty much didn't even exist in public consciousness a week ago has people thinking "They've been telling us restrictions will get more severe - what if next week there's a Level 5?"

This is all true but still, common fucking sense should tell you they're not going to close the supermarkets because, you know, starvation and food riots would kill more people than Covid-19. Cutting off peoples access to food isn't an option regardless of the infection risk.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Also continuing the theme of "no one has advised us how this is supposed to work", I'm on universal credit ATM because I'm looking for work. I'm obliged to be sending out applications and attending interviews otherwise I don't get paid. The DWP haven't given me any advice on whether that requirement has been suspended or not. I'm having to just take it as a given considering 80% of all workplaces are now closed, the prime minister has just told us all we'll be arrested for leaving the house and I'm currently having to look after (as in run all outside errands for) two family households that are vulnerable as well as myself. If I get fined for not filling in an application journal when/if I next get called into a job centre I'm probably going to start throwing things.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »

This is all true but still, common fucking sense should tell you they're not going to close the supermarkets because, you know, starvation and food riots would kill more people than Covid-19. Cutting off peoples access to food isn't an option regardless of the infection risk.

Common sense should also tell you not to fill up your shopping cart trolley with All The Meat in the Store, and then brag about doing so to everyone else in line (who now can't get any). But that is a thing that happened, here in the States.

Common sense isn't.

• Options
    The more I think about it the weaker this "lockdown seems".

There's quite a broad spectrum of shops that can still open and I've already seen several companies insisting they're essential such as WH Smith's.

A large proportion of my town will still be open tomorrow.

I can sort of see the government's plan, gradually increase the severity of the lockdown so that each step can be assessed.

This discussion has been closed.