As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

F-Stop In The Name Of Love [PHOTO THREAD]

• TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gafato adds a sense of "Hey, you're a fucking retard" to the thread and I admire that.

Don't let the internet suckahs bring you down.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've never used an Olympus DSLR but I'd imagine it's plenty of camera for the average person.

There are a number of ways to do Macro photography. If the lens you have focuses relatively close then you can just go ahead and take close-ups of stuff. If not then you can either buy a dedicated macro lens ($$$$), a lens that can focus relatively close but is not a true macro lens ($$$), buy a reversal mount and a cheap 50mm lens ($$), or a close up filter ($).

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also extension tubes ($-$$)

erisian pope on
  • JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    979440048_794e0232c3_d.jpg

979439710_24ba670a3c_d.jpg

978582837_91dfcd4e9c_d.jpg

979440212_1c156c7bfa_d.jpg

Jonis on
  • ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You make graffiti look goooood

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I need some advice about the following photo of that one girl.

--

979967330_591c8b3f61_b.jpg

--

First off, I realize that the focus is a little off. Probably nothing I can fix at this point (right?).

Aside from that though, the main thing that bothered me when I first opened it up was that one leaf that's cutting diagonally across her nose. I tried to be tricky and edited it out in PS, but couldn't get the texture of her hair right so it was kinda obvious that that part of the picture was played with.

Question: how can I further improve this picture using photoshop? Does it need improving? I really want to present it in its best condition since its the only photo of her where she is actually smiling.

ege02 on
  • bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    To me, it looks a little bright and washed out. If you darkened up the values, you may be able to pull off editing the leaf out because her hair is on the dark side anyway and some of the texture detail will be covered up.

Just my two cents.

Personally though, I wouldn't present this one at all. The focus is definitely a glaring problem, and even though she's smiling, the way her eyes seem to be bugging out isn't very flattering. Even if it's a natural smile, you seem to have captured it at the wrong moment. Just give up on that one, the ones you posted before are much better shots.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, that really is a horrible shot. The branches are distracting, and don't lead you to her face at all. The leaves are little pointers that bring attention to her eye, the edge of her nose, etc. Even her right eye is partially covered, and that's not usually the best thing for a portrait type picture.

Virum on
    edited August 2007
    This is one where you just say oops and throw it out.

saltiness on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Ah crap.

ege02 on
  • lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    when i first saw it, my eyes went right for her mouth and nose, as it was said before. scrap it.

2nd place my eyes went were teh bewbz

lilchingch0ng on
  • SpaceGhostSpaceGhost Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well I went out to my friends flag football game, and took a bunch of pictures to get the hang of things, but surprisingly, my favorite picture out of the 180 or so I took had nothing to do with football. I know it won't mean a lot, and I don't know why, but I really like it.

mikegj7.jpg

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That certainly is terrifying.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • McLovinMcLovin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    totally unedited photos from recent nights out

966220492_69829e2489_b.jpg

965216688_f87e216647_b.jpg
    964320971_b308f3a1e2_b.jpg

964270481_a6cd1adc53_b.jpg

963919169_0d27878187_b.jpg
    963623855_125eb9685b_b.jpg

McLovin on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    that south korea?

Prospicience on
  • MildQuixoticMildQuixotic ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    So I just bit down and bought a Digital Rebel XTI for 700 something D:

Lets hope my inititiation into the photography world only gets less painful!
    (And yes I am taking a class as well)

MildQuixotic on
    edited August 2007
    yeah, Seoul.

edit: so...yeah...that's a picture of my junk. don't ask me why i never saw that. i was just like, meh, picture, button press, snappy snappy, teh post it.

McLovin on
  • Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nue shots.

the.jpg

Tattoo.jpg

No pic of me for the tattooing. We both went under the gun for 5 hours each. Oh the sweet sweet pain!

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    McLovin wrote: »
    yeah, Seoul.

edit: so...yeah...that's a picture of my junk. don't ask me why i never saw that. i was just like, meh, picture, button press, snappy snappy, teh post it.

i'm in seoul too! /wave

lilchingch0ng on
    edited August 2007
    /wave!

I'll be snapping pictures at the Hamilton Hotel Pool in itaewon this weekend if it's sunny! The DJ there is awesome and I thought rooftop pool overlooking itaewon DJ pictures would be cool.

McLovin on
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DakotasFace.jpg

Ignore the blemishes and the urge to pinch my cheeks.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
    edited August 2007
    Myspace lol.

saltiness on
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    979829703_13a3a5e739.jpg

Was trying for some Chiaroscuro technique with my camera.

979830075_fbfe9a2a4b.jpg

This is my practice picture on aperture and shutter. I am addicted taking pictures on this tree.

Month of July took 743 pictures, mostly same subject. But best way to relax.

Noob Question:
    I am researching Fileters and wiki doesnt really explain, how do I learn what size filter goes with my lense? Just want a basic understanding of how Up/down scale and size filters work.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Vacation pictures wheeeeee. A lot of them are of my friends, his family (and family friends), and I disc golfing. Great fun.

mikethrowinguv7.jpg
    sunsethole22up2.jpg
    sunsetsssssc7.jpg
    carridessssim8.jpg
    img0870editedcarsssssxm8.jpg
    jackputtingeditsssssas5.jpg
    jackthrowingssssrw4.jpg

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
    edited August 2007
    I'm doing this all at once because these photos stood out as being particularly bad:

963919169_0d27878187_b.jpg
    Not only is this a boring pet photo, it's back-focused.

DakotasFace.jpg
    This isn't the camwhore thread, that is in SE.

979830075_fbfe9a2a4b.jpg
    What is it about this tree that interests you so much? I love plant photography as much as the next guy but what about this particular tree from this angle interests you? Also, the wavy power lines, odd little lights (stars?) and the little tree bit on the bottom add alot of distraction to this photo.

mikethrowinguv7.jpg
    This is horribly overexposed yet somehow not sharp. Did you oversharpen this photo? Also, the photo captures no movement. The arm can't be seen and without a caption, you can't really tell what the man is doing. The red disc/blue shirt photo is much much better.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Horus: I just went into a camera shop and asked about the size. You can probably see the lens size in the specs.

Couple i took this weekend:
    991566350_2f9a0251d6_b.jpg
    Stupid farm thing looks like a postcard.

990713705_67aadbd13a_b.jpg
    I like the bottom of this photo way better than the top.

Jpeg, while i don't mind pictures, i don't know that this is a thread for just pics of your family etc. It's more of a photography thread for people who suck at photography and want to verify that.

yeah.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited August 2007
    altmann wrote: »
    I like the bottom of this photo way better than the top.

crop-button.gif
    It's more of a photography thread for people who suck at photography and want to verify that.

speak for yourself

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mr.Brick wrote: »
    Nue shots.

the.jpg

I swear I thought this said 'nude shots'

Also where the hell did you find letters in the ground and what

That's about all I have to say about this last crop of posted photos -- not yours, Brick, but the rest of them.

Sheri on
    edited August 2007
    You make graffiti look goooood

Thanks.
    I don't have photoshop on this PC and was using Gimp, was trying to avoid too much contrast.

Jonis on
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »

DakotasFace.jpg
    This isn't the camwhore thread, that is in SE.

Woops, my bad.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jonis wrote: »
    toilets

I very much love the contrast in this toilet picture. Not crappy at all.
    oh god i'm sorry

Seriously though I really like this picture.

Prospicience on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is horribly overexposed yet somehow not sharp. Did you oversharpen this photo? Also, the photo captures no movement. The arm can't be seen and without a caption, you can't really tell what the man is doing. The red disc/blue shirt photo is much much better.

Ah thanks. I knew it was overexposed (looked alright somehow on my camera but not so much on the computer), but couldn't pinpoint quite why it didn't get as much action in the shot as the other one. I'll keep that in mind if I try to take more pictures like that. Beginner mistake I guess, hehe.

altmann wrote:
    Jpeg, while i don't mind pictures, i don't know that this is a thread for just pics of your family etc. It's more of a photography thread for people who suck at photography and want to verify that.

I am aware. I am with the latter, it just so happens that my friends were in that group of pictures.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
    edited August 2007
    That was a shameful page.

Tropical Water Lily Study 4
    992467080_bb3c68b79e_b.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's more of a photography thread for people who suck at photography and want to verify that.

speak for yourself

LRN2 Sarcasm.

PHOTOGRAPHY IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited August 2007
    The lighting is exquisite on this one, Gafoto.

saltiness on
    edited August 2007
    Tell us about that lighting gafoto.

Jonis on
    edited August 2007
    Nothing but sun.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Sweet, I made gafoto's "particularly bad photos" list.

From now on can we save him the trouble and have only the most awesome professional photographers post? Seriously, because why take the time for constructive "we're not all douchebags" criticism when we can just ooh and aah at people who already know what they're doing?

While I acknowledge that I'm probably among the more suckier takerers of photomagraphology, giving me actual advice is way more welcome than snarky comments. Let the flames commence.

McLovin on
    edited August 2007
    McLovin wrote: »
    giving me actual advice is way more welcome than snarky comments.

Stop trying to defend an out of focus shot of your dog. I told you it was a bad subject (like all pet photos) and it back-focused. Even the cockshot beats it out.

When people put up a shot that isn't correctly exposed, focused or with just truly horribly composition I'm gonna get on their case. Back-focused shots should never even leave the camera.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • GoshingaGoshinga Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    793918851_c4031776db_o.jpg
    964478020_794349ef68_b.jpg
    866240953_4c7153a4eb_b.jpg

They're all kind of big. Sorry.

Goshinga on
This discussion has been closed.