Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Ah.

Games are bad, actually.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    My Saints Row 4 story:

It was 2016, in the thick of the presidential election. It was becoming clear that Donald Trump, in all his awfulness, might have a shot at becoming president. The news was starting to get to me, so I decided to escape politics by diving into SR4 for the first time, and just enjoy the ridiculousness of a super-powered president punching people like a pro wrestler. It worked! I forgot all about rude reality as I tore around and caused as much destruction as I could.

But then, a few hours into the game, I heard something as I tore around in a car. Surely my stressed brain is just imagining things, I thought. But then I heard it again, clear as day. And again. My car radio had just introduced me to this song:

I had to turn the game off and stare at a wall for a while.

I didn't realize that song was in there. Crazy that the game came out in 2013 and here we are today.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like there a Persona 5 Scramble demo out on the Japanese eShop. Will need to check it out when I get home.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Dangit, it looks like I'll need to take my switch lite in and get a proper switch so a certain family member can play mario party. Ah well, at least it'll have a better battery life than my OG unit.

I probably should have read the fine print on Mario Party when I bought it on the store - had no idea it required the joycons.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    My Saints Row 4 story:

It was 2016, in the thick of the presidential election. It was becoming clear that Donald Trump, in all his awfulness, might have a shot at becoming president. The news was starting to get to me, so I decided to escape politics by diving into SR4 for the first time, and just enjoy the ridiculousness of a super-powered president punching people like a pro wrestler. It worked! I forgot all about rude reality as I tore around and caused as much destruction as I could.

But then, a few hours into the game, I heard something as I tore around in a car. Surely my stressed brain is just imagining things, I thought. But then I heard it again, clear as day. And again. My car radio had just introduced me to this song:

I had to turn the game off and stare at a wall for a while.

I didn't realize that song was in there. Crazy that the game came out in 2013 and here we are today.
    Ha ha ha, what a goofy mistake urahonky made, SR4 couldn't possibly have come out 7 years ago, how silly, let's see what the correct release year was *quick Internet search* oh my fuck.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Looks like there a Persona 5 Scramble demo out on the Japanese eShop. Will need to check it out when I get home.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m downloading it now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Damn, P4S is 9,680 Yen. That’s almost 90 bucks in USD.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Dangit, it looks like I'll need to take my switch lite in and get a proper switch so a certain family member can play mario party. Ah well, at least it'll have a better battery life than my OG unit.

I probably should have read the fine print on Mario Party when I bought it on the store - had no idea it required the joycons.

Hang on. There's a switch game you can't play on a switch already?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    As someone who enjoys all three Crackdown games. Saint’s Row 4 is the best Crackdown game.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Everyone loves SR4, but 3 was the masterpiece. Also 2 had that co-op zombie mode

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You can, you just need joycon that aren't attached to the console.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Come on. This started with 1-2 Switch. Joycon required games aren't new, it's the Lite that is.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I wish someone would make bigger joycons with the hd rumble so I could use them

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    @Wraithverge - I'm a little late to the party, but on top of all the other awesome stuff about SR4 that was mentioned, you also get to go into what is essentially The Matrix.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Come on. This started with 1-2 Switch. Joycon required games aren't new, it's the Lite that is.

1-2-Switch
    Just Dance (all of them)
    Super Mario Party
    Fitness Boxing
    Ring Fit Adventure
    Nintendo Labo (all sets)

It's understandable when some Mario Party games are based around motion control, there's just no way to do that when the controllers are tethered to the system.

On the other side of this, there are also a few games you can't play docked, which are primarily mobile ports that exclusively use the touch screen. I think the first one was a rhythm game that focused heavily on taps and drags.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    VOEZ is a rhythm game that was originally touchscreen only, but has since added button options.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

You can just buy joycons. The game will work undocked, but you need a paired joycon.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The thing that drives me crazy about GTA (other than the squirrely driving mechanics, the crap shooting, the... well, let's just say it's a lot) is that it keeps bouncing back and forth between Super Serious and "funny" social commentary that appears to have been created by a disappointing eighth-grader. It makes the "funny" all the clunkier.

Saints Row 3 and 4 lean in hard to the wacky, and while it's still fairly sophomoric it works vastly better largely because it doesn't fight the plot.

The way I'd probably put it is that both the world's of GTA and SR are wacky. But only the characters of SR know and embrace it.

Or let's go zanier. It's like if having a dream where you're in a Wal-Mart on the moon with Lincoln. GTA dreamer is focused on their shopping list of milk/eggs/bread and isn't lucid enough to see the insanity. SR dreamer is lucid and starts moon jumping over to the orbital laser department.

All that being said, SR1 did have it's moments of wacky, but it was very much a GTA knockoff at the time. It's only the later games that wisely cranked the dial up to eleventy billion and developed their own unique voice. So I don't really blame somebody for thinking otherwise.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Here is the missions that Saints Row 3 starts with:

The Third Street Saints gang have become so popular and well-known that a movie is being made about it. You and your lieutenants are about to rob the First National Bank, and the actor who'll be playing a role in the movie enthusiastically comes along because he's method, and wants to live the life before playing the character. Please note: They rob the bank while wearing giant mascot-style heads of Johnny Gat, one of the lieutenants. "You're robbing the bank dressed as yourselves?" "Hell yeah; who doesn't wanna be Johnny Gat?" People are excited to be robbed by the Saints, are taking photos with them and getting autographs. The guards, on the other hand, turn out to be numerous and armed with military-grade weapons.

They can't crack the vault, so they blow it out of the walls and airlift it out with a chopper. "How long until the chopper gets here?" "I dunno, about two waves of SWAT guys." Turns out it's SWAT guys and SWAT helicopters. Then, when the airlift happens, you ride the airborne vault while still defending it from SWAT teams and choppers. "Make this easy on the squad for once. Please autograph, and then put down, your gun"

After action-movie-style mid-air fight and crash sequences, you're ultimately apprehended. Turns out the bank belonged to a multinational criminal organization that's expanding into your town. Their head invites you for a business meeting that takes place in his airplane that's flying through the skies. You decline his business proposal, a lot of murder happens, and then you jump out the plane and navigate your way through the freefall, shooting people, rescuing one of your lieutenants, and finally parachuting into the city to start the game proper.

This is the kind of grandiose sequence that most games would end on; SR3 uses this as your opening motivation to gear up and get revenge.

• Options
    All I remember is the mission where you have to drive around town with an actual tiger in the passenger seat and drive carefully enough that he doesn't get pissed off and kill you.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Yeah, that game rules.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    SR3:
    I edited to put that in a spoiler just because the scene was completed unexpected to me so I don't want to ruin it for anyone else, just in case.
    The game also had that character who talked in auto-tune that pulls you around in a rickshaw (if I recall right) while he was dressed in a gimp suit. Amazing.

vamen on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Holy hell Blacksad chugs.

Lots of fps drops , the collectibles don't even load properly when you pick them up , Loading screens are over a minute and a half long.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

Lots of fps drops , the collectibles don't even load properly when you pick them up , Loading screens are over a minute and a half long.

You should have gotten Blackfast or Blackhappy instead.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Here is the missions that Saints Row 3 starts with:

The Third Street Saints gang have become so popular and well-known that a movie is being made about it. You and your lieutenants are about to rob the First National Bank, and the actor who'll be playing a role in the movie enthusiastically comes along because he's method, and wants to live the life before playing the character. Please note: They rob the bank while wearing giant mascot-style heads of Johnny Gat, one of the lieutenants. "You're robbing the bank dressed as yourselves?" "Hell yeah; who doesn't wanna be Johnny Gat?" People are excited to be robbed by the Saints, are taking photos with them and getting autographs. The guards, on the other hand, turn out to be numerous and armed with military-grade weapons.

They can't crack the vault, so they blow it out of the walls and airlift it out with a chopper. "How long until the chopper gets here?" "I dunno, about two waves of SWAT guys." Turns out it's SWAT guys and SWAT helicopters. Then, when the airlift happens, you ride the airborne vault while still defending it from SWAT teams and choppers. "Make this easy on the squad for once. Please autograph, and then put down, your gun"

After action-movie-style mid-air fight and crash sequences, you're ultimately apprehended. Turns out the bank belonged to a multinational criminal organization that's expanding into your town. Their head invites you for a business meeting that takes place in his airplane that's flying through the skies. You decline his business proposal, a lot of murder happens, and then you jump out the plane and navigate your way through the freefall, shooting people, rescuing one of your lieutenants, and finally parachuting into the city to start the game proper.

This is the kind of grandiose sequence that most games would end on; SR3 uses this as your opening motivation to gear up and get revenge.

The music used in different parts of the game really sticks out to me still. Like parachuting into a shootout with "Power" playing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    So, a couple of thoughts about the Persona 4 Scramble demo:

1) Apparently, I neither speak nor understand Japanese. This makes understanding anything difficult. Just keep that in mind - my comments are based on visual and verbal cues and some assumptions here, since I beat the original version of Persona 5.

2) It definitely feels like you should play and complete Persona 5 before even loading this thing. Even if you don't speak a lick of Japanese like me. That includes the demo and full game in English whenever that comes out, obviously.

3) Seriously, somewhat infer-ish spoilers for P5 right off the bat. You are WARNED.

4) It seems far meatier than I expected and while I haven't played every Musou game out there, it does feel a little different and very Persona-y. That said, you're still hacking and slashing a ludicrous number of enemies which definitely feels un-Persona-y, but not as badly as I expected.

5) Music and visuals of course really pull you back into the Persona world.

6) This was obviously made using Persona 5 engine, so it makes the fact that Persona 5 Royal was NOT announced for the Switch very headscratchingly infuriating, all over again. While I enjoyed what I was playing here, I couldn't help but continually asking myself "but...why? Why aren't they releasing Persona 5 for the Switch?"

7) Title screen before getting into the game had me very worried for a minute. I played this in handheld mode and one bit of the title screen as you transition to a new game dipped noticeably in frame rate. But I got into the game proper (I skipped a lot of dialogue) and it ran perfectly since then, again entirely in handheld mode.

Thanks for the heads up, @skeldare

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Played through the demo. Really fun, although it's pretty short. Graphically it seemed fine, but lack of anti-aliasing was noticeable and load times were kinda long at points. Didn't notice any framerate issues, though it was 30FPS. Really makes me want the proper Persona 5 on Switch.

Edit: And of course the music was amazing as always.
    Drez wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up, @skeldare

Always glad to be of service.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Here’s the video I remember most from when SR4 came out.

https://youtu.be/DGlvGLbyeYk

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Here’s the video I remember most from when SR4 came out.

https://youtu.be/DGlvGLbyeYk

OK but how many times did he have to do that game box toss before it came out as perfectly as it did?

Because that's a fantastic video. And accurate.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Ok so apparently Animal Crossing WILL have some sort of save data backup but it won't be done through the Cloud Save system in place. Details pending.

https://youtu.be/rtKnPN9oxvQ

I don't get it, but thank fucking god. I'm happy. That was my biggest gripe.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

Blacksad and the case of the missing fps.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Why do they care so much about save data in that game?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Why do they care so much about save data in that game?

Because they don't want people giving every rare and valuable thing they own to another player and then restoring their save data so everything is duped.

They also tend to like handing out limited time event items, or things where you have to be there on a certain day to get it, and if people can just give out their copy of the item and restore their save then it reduces the "specialness."

I'm not saying it's justified, but that's the reasoning. Same with Pokemon.

There aren't many games that are so heavily multiplayer and also oriented around trading items over the long term, and the ones that are have other systems in place to try to stop duping. For example Minecraft saves everything you do constantly. Diablo tries to stop these exploits through a number of methods like requiring an online account. Fallout 76 is fully played online.

• Options
    I can see their reasoning but I hate it. Pokémon makes more sense because of the battling system. Hacked Pokémon could (and does) ruin the battles.

But this is a cutesy game where you live with a bunch of animals and do chores for them. Why does it matter if someone hacks their save? I won't play with people like that and I won't do it. Most people would easily be able to avoid this problem.

The only thing that I can think of is microtransactions.

• Options
    Ironically I feel like there might be fewer complaints if Animal Crossing became an online-only game like an MMO, because then you know your save is stored on remote servers and backed up, duping is impossible, and nobody has to think about any data logistics. MMOs are a known quantity.

• Options
    I'd be curious to see the reaction of people if they did force online-only. It wouldn't bother me too much except for car trips but I would probably put my phone in Hotspot mode then.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see the reaction of people if they did force online-only. It wouldn't bother me too much except for car trips but I would probably put my phone in Hotspot mode then.

I feel like online only would kill some of the joy of doing it as you travel - That's always been a big point of enjoyment for me with AC, just chilling out with it while on the bus or similar.

Ironically, i'm going to miss street pass here. my city was at least semi-active when it came to streetpasses (And the cool cats at a local store had set up one of those street pass relays). Got a lot of animal crossing houses.

Most of them had murder basements, which was uh, well, okay then. I went the other direction: A basement crammed full of furniture for you to order (and by crammed full i mean there were two empty slots to move in)... oh, and a jukebox stuck in the back playing one of the most annoying/werid KK rider songs i could find to play. I have a reputation as a sadist to maintain, after all

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    What the fuck is unseen detail? Is that like one of those things where if you observe it you destroy it?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    What the fuck is unseen detail? Is that like one of those things where if you observe it you destroy it?

The only unseen detail I know of is previously unseen detail, such as DS/3DS games having higher texture resolution than the system is able to display properly, so when you can unlock the screen resolution you get some stunning results.