Options

When you have to stay at home, it's time for [BAD FOOD]

19596979899101»

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Gosh, I really like almost all that dude’s recipes, but the guy himself is sooooo aggravating to me. >_<

Oh he totally exudes upper middle class white dude. His recipes are damn tasty though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I can vouch for his taco joint in San Diego, damn good food. Hopefully they're able to open up again when it's safe.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I'll stop now?

Never

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    3clipse wrote: »
    I feel kind of weird about dunking on laughs because they're involuntary sounds.

I was playing Civ VI with my roommate and his gf this past weekend and we were using Steam voice chat. I kept dunking on myself because I kept hearing the obnoxious wheezing end of my shitty weasel laugh each time and then I had to apologize for subjecting them to my laugh, which then caused me to apologize because it’s dumb and juvenile to apologize for laughing which caused me to laugh and then I heard myself again which caused me to apologize for my laugh which, upon remembering that it’s stupid to apologize for your own laugh caused me to apologize, then laugh, then double apologize, and before I knew it it was five A M and I was dead.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Also, I made Pineapple Chicken Thai Fried Rice and it came out much better than I expected. Also I made soooo much I still have 2-3 full meals worth.

25hsxq21l1z3.jpeg

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I really want some fried rice

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Uriel wrote: »
    I really want some fried rice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMndAEiGtw

Just I find it odd they went from a ASMR kind of thing to now a step by step program with talking like everyone else does

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    (Just to be clear, I'm talking about Food Wishes Chef John, not this guy.)

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Gosh, I really like almost all that dude’s recipes, but the guy himself is sooooo aggravating to me. >_<

Oh he totally exudes upper middle class white dude. His recipes are damn tasty though.

I fucking haaaaaaaaaaaate the shirt he's wearing! Why do you have a shirt with your stage name in katakana on it!? Why the fuck does it cut off in the middle of one word and go to the next line!? You look like a fucking idiot!

sarukun on
  • Options

I'm actually okay with him? But, like, that's me and Chef John? So I get it?
    I'll stop now?

I straight up cannot watch Chef John's videos, the cadence of his voice makes we want to hurl myself out a window.

For a while I thought they were the same dude.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is Chef John a toilet with a burner on it so you can cook while you poop?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Is Chef John a toilet with a burner on it so you can cook while you poop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFGDPrC0rC8

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Chef John is good.
    He talks like that because he's a culinary school teacher and the constant rhythm and cadence of his voice makes him easier to follow.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Y'all can't appreciate Chef John (the one who talks weird) until you open 9 different food-wishes videos in their own browser tabs, turn your computer volume up to max, set all 9 to about the middle of the video, and then set all 9 of them to play at once.

Sit back, and understand what psychosis sounds like.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Chef John is good.
    He talks like that because he's a culinary school teacher and the constant rhythm and cadence of his voice makes him easier to follow.

I understand why he does it, I still don't like it, it reminds me of some teachers I had

I feel like he's talking down to me

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Chef John is good.

I understand why he does it, I still don't like it, it reminds me of some teachers I had

I feel like he's talking down to me

Dude's the chillest guy, I think if anything he'd apologize profusely like Ronnie if you told him his cadence made you feel that way ;p

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I am not here to dunk on Chef John, it is merely a fact that watching his videos is a deeply uncomfortable experience for me.

That is hardly his fault.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm not here to dunk on Chef John either, but his cadence, voice and mannerisms really reminds me of several teachers I had, who were very nice and warm and helpful, if you understood them and respected their station or something

If you didn't understand or didn't respect them, they became adversarial rather than helpful

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    He's great but his rhythm of talking is definitely in the "oh god you're not following how to rattle off a phone number" and it just feels... I have anxiety when he talks like he's talking something up then I get it taken away from me suddenly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I often make pizza on friday nights and since getting a pizza stone for christmas and a stand mixer a little later I've been having great success using Alton Brown's recipe.

I measure everything on a digital scale in grams, I follow the recipe. I always split the dough in half, proof half in the oven for 4-5 hours for dinner the same night, then the other half in the fridge for that slow ferment a couple nights later.

It's pretty much always been great since I started this system.

Tonight, though, for whatever reason the dough is all fucked up. It's SUPER sticky and almost no gluten developed. It didn't window pane, as soon as I started pulling it to form the pizza it tore. I added a BUNCH of extra flour but it stayed mega sticky. I kneaded it in the mixer for another 10 minutes but it never really developed the normal level of gluten.

WHY IS DOUGH SO FICKLE

• Options
    I often make pizza on friday nights and since getting a pizza stone for christmas and a stand mixer a little later I've been having great success using Alton Brown's recipe.

I measure everything on a digital scale in grams, I follow the recipe. I always split the dough in half, proof half in the oven for 4-5 hours for dinner the same night, then the other half in the fridge for that slow ferment a couple nights later.

It's pretty much always been great since I started this system.

Tonight, though, for whatever reason the dough is all fucked up. It's SUPER sticky and almost no gluten developed. It didn't window pane, as soon as I started pulling it to form the pizza it tore. I added a BUNCH of extra flour but it stayed mega sticky. I kneaded it in the mixer for another 10 minutes but it never really developed the normal level of gluten.

WHY IS DOUGH SO FICKLE

What's the humidity like today?

• Options
    not anything special. I guess a little dry?

• Options
    *shrug* then the gluten fairy decided to skip your house today

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    The gluten fairy owes me money. Unfortunately, my calls to Mr. Teatime (pronounced Te-ah-tim-eh) have gone unanswered in 2020.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Bread dough smells fear.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I bought some Buitoni red sauce because I ran out of san marzanos and didn't want to wait for my shipment and this shit is garbage. It's supposed to be a tomato sauce, and it has as much onion in it as tomato. I added some tomato paste and basil and hit it with my immersion blender to try to drown out the onion, but to no avail. I don't think it's fixable.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I've been binge watching Food Wishes videos for about three weeks now. Just went to YouTube, opened up the *uploads" list and hit play all.

It's comfort for me. Cooking shows are comfort for me, but since I can't just put early 2000's Food Network on in the background all the time anymore, this is what I've got.

Btw, three weeks will take you from 2020 back to mid 2015. Give or take a bit.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I've been binge watching Food Wishes videos for about three weeks now. Just went to YouTube, opened up the *uploads" list and hit play all.

It's comfort for me. Cooking shows are comfort for me, but since I can't just put early 2000's Food Network on in the background all the time anymore, this is what I've got.

Do you have access to the Great British Baking show? It's on Netflix here in the US and god I love it. Everyone is just so nice, but still competitive. I love that they'll help each other out. I get the feeling from the couple seasons I watch that people want to win on their merits, not because someone else screwed up, for the most part.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Also, maybe check out the Master Class subseries from the original seasons. Those are some episodes done after the season itself, in which the two judges walk you through their versions of the challenges they posed to the contestants.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Do you have access to the Great British Baking show? It's on Netflix here in the US and god I love it. Everyone is just so nice, but still competitive. I love that they'll help each other out. I get the feeling from the couple seasons I watch that people want to win on their merits, not because someone else screwed up, for the most part.

Yeah that show is just fantastic purely for the comradery between the contestants. On things like Chopped the chefs talk about how they're Big Shit at Big Shit Restaurant and they're gonna take the prize over everyone else while remarking when someone screws up that it makes things easier for them. Great British Bakeoff they're all "amateurs" who could probably run circles around most professionals and despite that if one of them does something like accidentally drop their cake to the floor they'll pitch in and help them clean it up so that person can get back to their work as soon as possible.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

Yeah that show is just fantastic purely for the comradery between the contestants. On things like Chopped the chefs talk about how they're Big Shit at Big Shit Restaurant and they're gonna take the prize over everyone else while remarking when someone screws up that it makes things easier for them. Great British Bakeoff they're all "amateurs" who could probably run circles around most professionals and despite that if one of them does something like accidentally drop their cake to the floor they'll pitch in and help them clean it up so that person can get back to their work as soon as possible.

As presented I think GBB shows that you can have competition without toxicity. That kind of winning is sorely underrepresented, especially here in the US.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    death to this thread! make a new one

geth close the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.