Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising OddsRegistered User, Moderator mod


Why the fuck haven't they made another George Smiley movie yet? Along with Blade Runner 2049 it's probably my favourite film of the last ten years.

Also Christ this was almost a decade ago?

Dark Raven XJazzknitdanAntoshkaPailryderTheBigEasyKoopahTroopahshrykeHahnsoo1BobbleFencingsaxSolarJacobkosh
«13456710

Posts

  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    If they're not going to adapt The Honourable Schoolboy at least they can do Smiley’s People.

    It even ties back in to TTSS

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    Occasionally someone will ask Gary Oldman and he'll say there's a script but no firm plan and I rage against the injustices of this base and tawdry life.

    shrykeAtomikaRedcoat-13JacobkoshKristmas Kthulhu
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    He's less funny James Corden.

    Ok but Josh Gadd, unlike James Corden, is by all accounts a fairly delightful human being instead of kind of an asshole.

  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    Another George Smiley film and another Captain Jack Aubrey film. I'd maim a MF for either of these. And if they happen and are less good than what came before, someone would be in for a maiming as well.

    Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    jimb213Stabbity StyleAtomikaKanaJacobkosh
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Maybe the next Smiley movie could even be written and directed in such a way that its possible to follow the plot

    just tossing out ideas

    YtsKgL9.png
    P10KanaKristmas Kthulhu
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Occasionally someone will ask Gary Oldman and he'll say there's a script but no firm plan and I rage against the injustices of this base and tawdry life.

    Karl Urban can sympathise

    SnicketysnickEchoVisskarJayrichoJazzGnome-InterruptusBobbleFencingsax
  • AbsalonAbsalon Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    Sonic the Hedgehog is a good, occasionally flawed movie that deserves to do well. One of the best videogame movies. Sonic is portrayed very sympathetically almost the entire movie throughout, James Marsden does really well with a pretty plain role, the jokes and gags are definitely better on average than I feared and the side characters and script are solid. Jim Carrey chomps the scenery to fragments in a new way every movie and does so here as well. Not the most interesting plot but it's not as moronic or unimportant as one would expect. A few good throwbacks and references apart from the obligatory pop-culture stuff. I'm very surprised.

    Absalon on
    PailryderCapt HowdyHexmage-PAwanderingKoopahTroopahDark Raven XDarkPrimusTicaldfjamJazzGnome-InterruptusTexiKenBobbleFencingsaxMancingtomTynnanbrynhrtmnKristmas Kthulhu
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    If they're not going to adapt The Honourable Schoolboy at least they can do Smiley’s People.

    It even ties back in to TTSS

    Need to keep the naming convention for brand recognition

    "Rich Man, Poor Man, Beggar Man, Spy"

    "Tinker 2lor Soldier Spy"

    ElvenshaeFencingsaxJacobkoshKristmas Kthulhu
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    trailers are fascinating

    that tinker, tailor, soldier, spy trailer is selling a completely different, much less interesting movie than the one they actually made

    which i can understand why, i imagine it's tough to convince a big-enough-to-make-it-worth-it audience to go see an incredibly slow and drab spy drama that was made that way on purpose

    so they chop together this trailer that makes it seem like the movie's way more exciting than it is, and the reaction when people go see the movie is split between "what the fuck is this boring-ass shit" and "man this is way cooler than the trailer let on"

    what a great movie though. i surprised myself that i liked it as much as i did, since i kinda hate spy fiction. i guess it goes to show that presentation is ultimately a lot more important than content

    also kim philby was one fascinating cat

    Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons.
    hitting hot metal with hammers
    Fencingsax
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Need to watch that again. It is so completely different than any of the modern spy films, it might be another genre all together. The book was great too.

    jimb213FencingsaxTynnan
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I've been meaning to rewatch Tinker, Tailor for a longass time.

    I still remember watching it in the cinema, and it being the best movie I saw for a long time and the worst cinema experience I ever had. I was there with a whole bunch of friends, of which about half hated the movie and were bored out of their mind. ~20 minutes into the movie another group of people sauntered into the movie theatre and sat down which kind of surprised me. About half an hour after they come in they start talking and playing with their phones, obviously not interested in the movie. A few minutes after this someone above me and my friends start tossing stuff at the people talking below, starting with popcorn and ending with their empty drink and popcorn containers. At this point the talking people left and the rest of the movie passed in relative peace.

  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    One barrier to a proper Tinker Tailor sequel is that Tomas Alfredson was fucked by the trainwreck that was The Snowman, even though it’s really not his fault.

    ACsTqqK.jpg
    shryke
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Whose fault was The Snowman?

    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Fencingsax
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thirith wrote: »
    Whose fault was The Snowman?

    The had little time to prepare, not enough time to shoot and came back with 10-15% of the screenplay unfilmed. I dunno, maybe this pooch screwed itself and Alfredson did the best he could.

  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    They can do a Star Treck crossover: A Simple Tinker Tailor.

    Commander ZoomRMS Oceanic
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Whose fault was The Snowman?

    Poor production planning

  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    Sonic the Hedgehog currently has a 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. I am pleasantly surprised.

    Hexmage-PA on
    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
    KoopahTroopahshrykeDark Raven XKristmas Kthulhu
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Sonic the Hedgehog currently has a 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. I am pleasantly surprised.

    Well at least the inevitable Sonic the Hedgehog the Movie the Game will have the updated Sonic design.

    Ticaldfjam
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Another George Smiley film and another Captain Jack Aubrey film. I'd maim a MF for either of these. And if they happen and are less good than what came before, someone would be in for a maiming as well.

    omg yes! Master & Commander is low key my favorite movie. Everything about it is freaking phenomenal. You can borrow my chainsaw for the maiming if you need.

    Stabbity StyleElvenshaedoomybeartinwhiskersGONG-00MarekKanaJacobkosh
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    Another George Smiley film and another Captain Jack Aubrey film. I'd maim a MF for either of these. And if they happen and are less good than what came before, someone would be in for a maiming as well.

    omg yes! Master & Commander is low key my favorite movie. Everything about it is freaking phenomenal. You can borrow my chainsaw for the maiming if you need.

    you ever read any of the books?

    Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons.
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Sonic the Hedgehog currently has a 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. I am pleasantly surprised.

    Well at least the inevitable Sonic the Hedgehog the Movie the Game will have the updated Sonic design.

    Don’t be so sure. That original design was the in-engine render from the pre-alpha for the game. Probably.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
    KoopahTroopahTicaldfjamDark Raven X
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    Another George Smiley film and another Captain Jack Aubrey film. I'd maim a MF for either of these. And if they happen and are less good than what came before, someone would be in for a maiming as well.

    omg yes! Master & Commander is low key my favorite movie. Everything about it is freaking phenomenal. You can borrow my chainsaw for the maiming if you need.

    The only way I can cope with it is watching all the Horatio Hornblower TV movies they did, too. Which all are on Youtube apparently?

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    ElvenshaeCommander ZoomHeffling
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fuck yes, age-of-sail friends!

    We need more movies set in the time of wooden ships and iron men!

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Stabbity StyledavidsdurionswanderingLordSolarMachariusKanaJacobkosh
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I don't have a strong opinion about Wes Anderson, but running into so many people with such a strong, active dislike of his films is kind of weird. If it's not your thing then it's not your thing... Why go beyond that?

    This is, per the last thread, pretty much my position - haven't seen any, have no interest in seeing any, whatever, you do you. *shrug*

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    Inquisitor77Sorce
  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    The Guardian has a nice piece celebrating 40 years since Mad Max got its Stateside release: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/13/mad-max-40the-anniversary-how-low-budget-original-remains-film-making-feat

    Capt HowdyDoodmannElvenshaeKoopahTroopahdaveNYC
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Wes Anderson´s best contribution to the world, is the idea of what would other movies look like if they were directed by Wes Anderson, like Fury Road, or Saving Private Ryan, I think someone made like a spoof trailer of X-men directed by Wes Anderson? I wish there were more.

    Also The Life Aquatic was pretty good, not a fan of the others.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Sonic the Hedgehog is a good, occasionally flawed movie that deserves to do well. One of the best videogame movies. Sonic is portrayed very sympathetically almost the entire movie throughout, James Marsden does really well with a pretty plain role, the jokes and gags are definitely better on average than I feared and the side characters and script are solid. Jim Carrey chomps the scenery to fragments in a new way every movie and does so here as well. Not the most interesting plot but it's not as moronic or unimportant as one would expect. A few good throwbacks and references apart from the obligatory pop-culture stuff. I'm very surprised.

    Are there snarky robot companions that Robotnik argues with and chastises throughout the film? Please?

    0QcdpUO.png
    override367KoopahTroopahFencingsax
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    Sonic the Hedgehog is a good, occasionally flawed movie that deserves to do well. One of the best videogame movies. Sonic is portrayed very sympathetically almost the entire movie throughout, James Marsden does really well with a pretty plain role, the jokes and gags are definitely better on average than I feared and the side characters and script are solid. Jim Carrey chomps the scenery to fragments in a new way every movie and does so here as well. Not the most interesting plot but it's not as moronic or unimportant as one would expect. A few good throwbacks and references apart from the obligatory pop-culture stuff. I'm very surprised.

    Are there snarky robot companions that Robotnik argues with and chastises throughout the film? Please?

    Of course there is, why else would you cast Sam Worthington and January Jones?

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    cj iwakuraFencingsax
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Wes Anderson´s best contribution to the world, is the idea of what would other movies look like if they were directed by Wes Anderson, like Fury Road, or Saving Private Ryan, I think someone made like a spoof trailer of X-men directed by Wes Anderson? I wish there were more.

    Also The Life Aquatic was pretty good, not a fan of the others.

    That X-Men spoof is kinda meh - but this was funny:

    RedTidecj iwakuraFANTOMASKanaWhiteZinfandelJacobkosh
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited February 13
    Just watched Detective Pikachu. It was what I expected and I was quite entertained. I did not see the twist of
    pokemon possessed by humans,
    but I wasn't paying any attention to the plot or story. I wanted realistic pokemon and Ryan Reynolds and got exactly that.

    Having the cast rendered in Ken Sugimori's art style in the credits was a nice touch. I was disappointed that there was no Porygon to be seen. It would have been a good meta joke to have the computer generated pokemon be a computer generated special effect.

    Also Justice Smith is a decent actor. He was actually was a good contribution to the movie when it was not needed. I feel he took this gig seriously but not too seriously and that worked.

    Nobeard on
    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    SleepKoopahTroopahN1tSt4lkerDarkPrimusElvenshaeFencingsaxGnome-InterruptusDark Raven XRingoRickRude
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    An actual Wes Anderson thriller/horror movie would be amazing. You already get little glimpses of a darker side to him in his movies, going all in on that and his ability to build and frame a scene would produce something incredible.

    The
    attempted suicide
    scene in Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favorite scenes in any movie honestly, as wierd as that sounds.

    nibXTE7.png
    Stabbity StyleJRoseyknitdanKanaJacobkosh
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Awww yeah. Scream (Shout!) Factory blu-ray sale is going on. Just ordered the 1990 Dolph Lundgren scifi classic I Come in Peace (Dark Angel, for those who saw it outside the USA). Now the long wait begins before I can show my kiddos another obscure goodie from my childhood. They were just introduced to Critters 2 and The Beast Master last weekend. They enjoyed both, but even the youngest saw that Critters was a Gremlins cash grab.

    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    An actual Wes Anderson thriller/horror movie would be amazing. You already get little glimpses of a darker side to him in his movies, going all in on that and his ability to build and frame a scene would produce something incredible.

    The
    attempted suicide
    scene in Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favorite scenes in any movie honestly, as wierd as that sounds.

    I blame the great Elliot Smith song.



    Also, all the jump cuts, that steady shot of the single shave, and that shot looking down at the sink with all the cut hair and the blood coming from his wrists down to his hands. It really is a masterful scene.

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    Fencingsax
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Man, the Life Aquatic is so bittersweet for me. I identify with Owen Wilson's character so hard in his relationship with his father, except mine doesn't have a redemption arc and wanted to name me "Lionel."

    wandering
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    They can do a Star Treck crossover: A Simple Tinker Tailor.

    They already done that

    wanderingCommander Zoom
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    I think I could rewatch Life Aquatic any number of times. Something about the humor and sadness of the that movie just hits me right.
    My favorite scene.



    What kind of cat was it?

    Who gives a shit?... I think it was a tabby.

    Also best soundtrack of all time.

    Out of all of Anderson's works I think Darjeeling Limited may have the most grounded story and is my second favorite. Its one I don't see mentioned very often.

    southwick on
    FencingsaxWhelkLordSolarMachariusswaylowKristmas Kthulhu
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular


    The kind of pathos/hilarity that only Bill Murray can really pull off

    FencingsaxSchadenfreudeCristovalKristmas Kthulhu
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
    PreacherJohnny ChopsockyKruiteHahnsoo1Capt HowdyJazzdaveNYCjimb213RMS OceanicshrykeRedTideBobbleNobeardDoctor DetroitFencingsaxRingojungleroomxGONG-00AntoshkaMarekboogedybooKoopahTroopahHefflingIncenjucarTNTrooperKristmas Kthulhu
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh god predator 2 justified now.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Hahnsoo1BloodySlothAimRMS OceanicNobeardDoctor DetroitFencingsaxRingoGONG-00AntoshkaAbsoluteZeroTicaldfjamIncenjucar
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Wes Anderson’s soundtracks are one of my biggest problems with him

    Some of his movies feels like 20 music videos loosely strung together

Sign In or Register to comment.