[IC] Mage: The Awakening - The Carnival of Madness

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentChantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
The following is an In Character thread for a Mage: The Awakening PBP campaign, OOC thread here.

The Players:
@Brody / Charlemagne
@Bucketman / Birdsong
@El Skid / Hope
@Grunt's Ghosts / Phoenix

a2FKIuI.png

The city is normally a lively place. All glitz, glamour, endless money, and unending entertainment on tap.
Or so they tell the tourists.

That's not where the night finds you.

You find yourself in the dirt mall part of town. The casinos that have been there for decades, and seem like they haven't been remodeled since they opened.

There are no beautiful people here. You find only drifters, vagrants, beggars, and people of the night, out for whatever they can scourge together from either the streets or any hapless visitors.

And yet, for whatever reason, this is where you were told to go. A worn down building off the beaten path of the beaten path. You'd never know it was a casino if not for the very particular directions.

Once the creaky door opens inward, the exterior isn't much different from your expectations. A narrow room that seems to be a few hundred feet in perimeter, lined with beat up slot machines, dusty dealer tables, and a single occupied roulette table, at which a bored older attendant and a scruffy senior are watching the wheel spin. Judging by the amount of chips on the table, he's not doing too badly.

Neither strikes you as the type familiar with the whereabouts of the local Consilium, but they're the only lead you have.

Any attempt to call back the phone number that gave you the address just results in a generic voice mail message.

0QcdpUO.png
Bucketman
«1

Posts

  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 19
    Birdsong stands to the side and watches for a few minutes, careful not to get dust or grime on his suit. He might be use to field work out in the wild, but that doesn't mean he enjoys being dirty.

    I want to see if there's any changes in either of these two gentlemen, if anyone acknowledges me.

    Bucketman on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    A beautiful person in a sea of drab colors, Charlemagne makes an entrance. Sweeping through the door, past Birdsong, to whom he provides a slight nod, he strides right up to the table, hooks chair with his heel, and plops right down. With a smile to the man playing roulette, Charlemagne drops a hundred dollar bill on the table and arches an eyebrow at the table attendant.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 20
    Hope walks in looking slightly less glam than usual (she doesn't want to draw too much attention to herself but might need to snap something quickly for Instagram so there are limits to how drab will allow herself to look).

    Taking a brief look around she spots the roulette table and glides over to observe... She's curious who is out to stack the odds- the player or the house.

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    With his white suit, Phoenix stands out compared to the hopeless folks who dot this casino. As he walks towards the roulette table he spots a man too far into his drink and too low on chips. He pulls out a $20 bill from his wallet and lays it on the table next to him. "Get yourself a cab and rest, brother. Lady Luck will see you tomorrow." He moved his hand slightly towards one of the light bulbs above to increase it's glow just enough to give Phoenix a heavenly light. But it didn't work.... Las Vegas was a city that ate people alive and Phoenix knew that from experience. He also knew that the man would have to pick between doing what he should or trying to push his luck but Phoenix hoped that man would do the right thing.

    Afterwards, he moved towards the roulette table, hoping he had done some good and curious what he had been tasked with now.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    @El Skid
    You detect a similar sensation in the air, you're not the only one trying to play the odds against the house.

    "Place yer bets, place yer bets." The attendant almost sounds robotic in her monotone delivery, as if she's said the same thing for years now. Maybe she has.

    The older man gives the arrivals a tip of a worn out hat, which looks even more worn out than the aged interior. "Oh, good, someone to help me clean this place out. Take a seat, take a seat."

    "You wish. Place yer bets." The attendant reaches for the center of the wheel, about to make a spin.

    0QcdpUO.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    "Never divide by zero kids" Charlemagne smirks as he slides his stake over to split the zeros.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    "It's better to bet on red than numbers." Phoenix takes out another $20, looking to get some chips, then places them on the red maker.

  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Hope smiles warmly and puts up her hands as she takes a seat beside the table.

    "I'm a personal friend of Lady Luck. Wouldn't be fair if I joined in. I'm just here for the..." she looks around desperately for some other reason she would be there and doesn't really find any. "...Ambiance?":

    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "16, Red."

    "Don't mind if I do." The senior is all smiles as he motions to his winning pieces. You could have sworn that entire space was sparsely occupied.. yet, clear as day, he has a small stack of chips dead center on the 16, and is soon pooling a veritable pile of winnings. "Pleasure doing business, sweetheart. Time I was going, I have some friends to be treating to dinner. Unless they want to be enjoying your company..." He rises to his feet, chips in hand, seemingly off to go cash in.

    "Oh, and..." He flips Hope a $100 chip. "Nice try, kid."

    0QcdpUO.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Phoenix grabbed his winnings and laughed. "And I'm back to where I started. Vegas loves to keep me going." The fledging mage follows the man. "I don't believe we caught your name, brother."

  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Birdsong smirks to himself and remembers the old adage "Only gamble on a sure thing"

  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Shrugging as he gets to his feet, Charlemagne straightens his 'dressed down' clothes, which amounts to designer jeans and a t-shirt, complete with high end cowboy boots, and follows Phoenix and the mysterious gambler.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Once he's confirmed that the group is in tow, the elder is content to lead the way, whistling a vaguely familiar tune. "Call me Roger, the locals mostly call the cops." He allows himself a snide snicker as he shuffles along, moving away from the bright lights and towards an alley that snakes between the buildings. The passage is wide enough to pass a vehicle through, and dimly lit, yet you still would think twice about going through it if not for the company... and even then it seems a dicey prospect.

    Around halfway down the alley, Roger raises one arm and raps roughly against a recession of pavement besides a worn door. "I hope you all brought IDs." You catch up in time to see a slab of metal slide open at eyesight height. "What now?" The voice sounds more annoyed than anything.

    "Party of five, reservations."
    "One at a time."

    Roger steps back, and beckons you all closer. "Well, you heard the lady. Beauty before age. Shadow IDs if you got 'em, and I hope you do."

    0QcdpUO.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Still note quite use to living in this world all the way, Birdsong pulls out his old drivers license, though he keeps the name covered with his finger best he can.

  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Well, he said beauty first, so Charlemagne steps forward and declares his Shadow Name, "Charlemagne."

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Hope flashes her driver’s license for the fellow at the door, giving him a smile and a wink.

    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Phoenix steps forward and pulls out a white card. It has nothing on it but the symbol of the Silver Ladder on it. "I am Phoenix."

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Several clacking noises are audible behind the door after the identifications are presented, as if they're being entered into a database of sorts. Then after several drawn out moments, the sound of a metal bar being slammed out of place can be heard. "I trust you'll mind their manners."

    "As best as I can." Roger gives a faux bow towards the unseen speaker, before pressing one hand into the door to ease it inward, letting each of you take the lead. "Be careful with your possessions." It's not entirely clear what is meant by that, but the interior is the complete polar opposite of the decrepit exterior.

    The inside of the building seems more like a luxurious hotel lobby than the broken down warehouse that the outside might have suggested. Attendants are roaming with drinks, tobacco, and treats of various delights both legal and not. You don't have long to peruse the extensive surroundings, as Roger passes by to take the lead and beckon you all towards the rear of the spacious hall.

    "Well, right this way, step lively." Roger deftly moves past a provocatively-clothed woman in a red dress, at once flashing a smile and taking a half-full glass of sparking white wine before continuing on his way past what appear to be assorted card game tables. "The house always wins here."

    Apart from the occasional approach from a flirtatious attendant, likely more interested in your earnings than your charms, no one pays your passage any mind.

    0QcdpUO.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Taking a cue from our host, Birdsong grabs himself a glass of wine off of a tray. "As long as nobody minds, might as well take the edge off"

  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Phoenix eyed the drinks but his hand stayed in his coat pocket, gripping the AA coin there tightly. He had swore off Alcohol and Drugs after his near death experience but living in the City of Sin tempted him like crazy. But the coin was for his one month sobriety achievement and now it was like a lifeline, an anchor and shield. Phoenix instead tried to focus on the people, and this Roger guy and what they were there for.

  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Skipping the wine, Charlemagne manages to snag a cigar as they head towards the back.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Roger leads each of you towards what appears to be an employees-only back room, which he accesses with a deft wave of his hand across a card reader. A faint buzz is heard, and the door swings inward. Within the spartan chamber is a fold-out rectangular table containing a map of what appears to be greater Las Vegas, and a handful of individuals gathered around it. A tall man in a coat appears to be in the middle of a presentation of sorts, pointing out portions of the city that have been circled in red.

    "...the source of the counter-energies suppressing our ley lines have yet to be determined, but it seems..."
    "Ahem."

    Roger clears his throat, and gestures to your gathering. "I've brought our visitors."

    "Ah, splendid." A suited woman looks up from the map, motioning to a series of plain metal chairs nearby. "I'm Norah. Please, have a seat, and do introduce yourselves, I trust you've already met Roger. We have much to discuss and little time in which to do so, so I won't keep you all long. We have no formal hierarchy to speak of at the present, more a council of sorts, so we've kept titles to a minimum."

    "Kind of hard to have a hierarchy without a hierarch," the coated man adds, who receives a glare from Roger in turn.
    "It's not as if you've had much luck finding him."
    "Least I'm not busy getting shit-faced and broke, whichever comes first."
    Norah clears her throat, which is all the indication the two seem to need to shut their mouths.

    "Gentlemen, our guests have the floor."

    0QcdpUO.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Phoenix wrinkles his nose at the group. Disordered bunch like this would be an issue if someone didn't take charge. But now didn't seem to be the time or place to push for that. "What do you mean 'Quadrangle is missing?' You don't just get the jump on him. Where was he last seen?"

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "Here, as it happens. We had a meeting last week, he hasn't been seen since. We've yet to find a trace of his magical signature, so we are fearing the worst." Norah gestures at the map indicatively, though the tall figure gives Phoenix an impatient look. "I'm sorry, I must have missed the memo. Just who are you?"

    Roger snickers, and gives an amused look of his own. "Don't mind Robinson, he's off his meds."
    "Fuck off, hobo."

    0QcdpUO.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Not the usual sort he would consort with, but the dysfunction was hardly worse that that among most academics or field researchers. The world of magic really is made of all sorts, as Birdsong is quickly learning. Interested to learn more about the situation, he sort of fades into the back of the group, allowing this Phoenix to take the reigns of the always awkward social situation.

  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Suddenly wishing he hadn't chosen to dress down for this little adventure, Charlemagne realizes he ought speak up before the yearlings pull out their drivers licences again. Stepping forward, he'd nods to the lady who introduced herself"My name is Charlemagne, it's a pleasure to meet you, Norah. Presumably you are Robinson?" He says to the tall-ish figure.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Phoenix eyes Robinson without flinching. "I'm Phoenix, not that you should have heard of me, brother. But now is not the time to measure our dicks like children. We need to take a deep breath..." And he inhales deeply "And act like adults so we can solve our issues. So let's start at point one; What was the meeting last week about?"

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "Typical politics." Roger seems relieved that someone took the wind out of Robinson's sails for once. "We were discussing opposing forces in the area, local casino buyouts and ley line conflicts, the usual. It hasn't been too bad, the Seers mostly own the big play in town." He gestures at the vague area of the map where the MGM Grand and the 'famous' casinos are. "We've been lucky for the most part. We don't step on their turf, they don't kill us, but something's been making a play. The mana flow has been weakening in our turf. We don't think it's the Seers, but it's no coincedence that bossman has dropped off the map."

    "Well, we stand to gain nothing from knocking on the Votaries' door and demanding answers." Norah seems to be trying to maintain the present calm. "As I'm sure you've all surmised, we're each from different orders. Roger here hails from the Arrow, Robinson is from the Guardians of the Veil, and I myself am from the Mysterium. The Free Council don't have much say here, but we allow them to attend once every so often."

    "Which I have said is the mother of all bad ideas," Robinson chimes in.

    "Yes, we know. Do any of you have leads in the outskirts of town? Potential areas that seem off the grid with strong influence?" Norah looks across the group, willing to take any leads she can find.

    0QcdpUO.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    "I could ask a Free Council member or two I know from the area, as long as that doesn't ruin Mr Robinson's precious Diamond."

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    edited February 25
    Robinson's disdain at the idea couldn't be any plainer, but he also doesn't offer an alternative, so he keeps his mouth shut for once.
    Norah's reply is far more appreciative, if hesitant. "Yes, Charlemagne, you are welcome to try, though I'm not expecting you to have much luck. Their locals can be... touchy, but I admit that we haven't had much luck here."
    "Anything they tell you is probably nonsense dug up from their backwater networks, and I'd trust that about as much as I'd trust the house odds." Robinson's quiet period didn't last very long.

    cj iwakura on
    0QcdpUO.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    "We shouldn't dismiss any resource we have. Even if they aren't exactly... Reliable." Phoenix looks over the map. He didn't know Las Vegas too well, being that he had spent more of his time on the Strip before his Awakened, but it seemed important to gather as much information as possible. "Do any of you know where any of Quadrangle's sanctums might be? Places he frequents? Maybe friends or lovers he might have?"

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "His primary sanctum, at least the one I know of, was somewhere downtown near the Strip, but we haven't had much of a lead checking the area... for all we know, he has several more, though. We're still looking into it." Robinson likely refers to his own people, since his connections to the others present seem frail at best.

    "Yeah, you do that. I'll keep my eye to the street in the meantime." Roger's patience for the gathering seems to be wearing thin, as he's already turning to leave.

    "I don't know of him having many friends in the city, he mostly kept his connections political in nature. As for relationships..." Norah hesitates, then gives a shake of her head. "None that come to mind. Perhaps someone else knows him better, but he trusted us with little and spoke of less."

    @Bucketman
    You take the time to examine the map in depth, but nothing especially unusual stands out... apart from the area outside the city being uncharted territory, though that seems to be due to the general lack of mana flow and ley line activity in the area.

    0QcdpUO.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Birdsong steps forward "I hate to sound so nihilistic, but why exactly are we here then? Is there perhaps another lead you can't follow yourselves?"

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    edited February 26
    "Because we need other sets of eyes." Robinson rolls his eyes, as if he were stating the obvious.

    "What he means to say is, he wants ones that're more expendable." Roger chimes in from besides the door.

    "Not the way I'd put it, but sure, let's go with that."

    cj iwakura on
    0QcdpUO.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Hope confidently steps forward and addresses the council.

    “Hi, I’m Hope.I don't know where your missing Hierarch is, but I am sure I can be helpful finding him... I have a knack for finding lost things and people. Also, if you are looking for someone from the Free Council to join you here I can ask around- Just let me know." She ends with a smile she hopes will put them at ease.

    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    As if relieved for the change in subject, Norah offers a nod. "Check around the casino hall, we have a local Councilor who likes to play the tables... against better judgment. Despite what others would have you think," she frowns to Robinson and Roger in turn, "none of you are expendable. Though we do hope that you might succeed where our investigations have failed."

    "How did you happen across this bunch, anyway?" Robinson gives Roger an expectant look, who just shrugs in return. "They showed up at my usual haunt, I figured you sent them."

    0QcdpUO.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    "We were invited actually. Do you make a habit of inviting unknown individuals in to your home and letting them in on your secret plans? I sort of assumed one of you had reached out to us."

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "You were vetted by Roger. If he suspected you weren't on the up and up, you wouldn't be here." For once, Norah's tone is tinged with ice. "Unfortunately, I do not know who did reach out to you, but so long as you're here to offer your aid, I have no objection to your presence. If you have any leads on whoever contacted you, however, I suggest letting Robinson know, and he can begin an investigation."

    "One of the few things I'm kept around for. I don't suppose any of you happened to check for supernal connections or scrying on whoever contacted you?" The Guardian doesn't sound optimistic about the expected answer.

    0QcdpUO.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    "Well, as much as I love being the piss in Robinson's cheerios, there's a couple of full days of work here to be done, and not much seems to be happening here, so..." Charlemagne trails off and takes a drag from the cigar. "Also, Rob, if you want fellow practitioners to be willing and able to trace magical scrying off of a phone call, it helps if ya'll actually teach fellow practitioners the particulars."

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    "I don't know what your particulars are, kid, but give me a few hours and we'll see. I don't teach the unwilling... or the unworthy."

    Norah sighs, clearly as exasperated with his attitude as anyone. "If none of you are familiar with the rotes, feel free to leave your phone with me and I'll see what I can find out. In the meantime, I suggest being careful about whom you speak with. If you find anything, feel free to drop one of us a line."

    Each of your phones receives a simultaneous text message with her contact information, punctuated by a disturbingly cute emote of a smiling cat. "Maybe you'll have better luck out and about."

    "You all know where to find me, same table as before. Be careful out there, some of the locals make Robbie look like a saint." Wisely not waiting for the Guardian's response, Roger gives a wave and heads out the way he came.


    The majority of the casino hall seems filled with magical traces, but certain auras shine brighter than others, most likely the ones exploiting the odds, though it seems like the dealers are just as capable if not more so.

    A nearby blackjack table gives off the strongest aura, as one short-haired woman with a stack of chips appears well into cleaning out the house.

    0QcdpUO.png
Sign In or Register to comment.