Options

in which we ffwd thru the talky bits of the [movie] thread

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The stage musical version of The Wedding Singer is pretty fantastic, just FYI.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Who were you in the Wizard of Oz? I was the Tin Man!

tdjgiqbuobmo.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    For example, Muppet Treasure Island has a lot of fantastic musical numbers.

But one of them has maybe the happiest I have ever seen a group of villains ever be portrayed on screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbObOAeSMls

They're just so fucking happy.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I assume it's a perspective thing but that Tin Man looks roughly eight feet tall and deeply frightening, he could split you in twain

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Who were you in the Wizard of Oz? I was the Tin Man!

I was the chief flying-monkey.

I antagonized the heroes.

Shocking, I know.

• Options
    I could but I assure you I will not.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I assume it's a perspective thing but that Tin Man looks roughly eight feet tall and deeply frightening, he could split you in twain

Yeah, no, that's just Jedoc. Eight feel tall and terrifying. Sends mortal men screaming in fear.

• Options
    Here comes Jedoc in control
    Women dug his snuff and his gallant stroll
    Ate opponents brains and invented cocaine
    He's coming
    He's coming
    He's coming

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Rocketman is good. The sing-y one. The zeppelin-y one is good too.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I was Kenickie in an 8th grade performance of Grease. Mainly because I was one of the only kids with a leather jacket.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Here comes Jedoc in control
    Women dug his snuff and his gallant stroll
    Ate opponents brains and invented cocaine
    He's coming
    He's coming
    He's coming

Six foot twenty
    Made of radiation

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Dancin': It's On! has original numbers that reflect the emotional states of the characters and is, thus, a musical

And one of the finest

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Dancin': It's On! has original numbers that reflect the emotional states of the characters and is, thus, a musical

And one of the finest

shit i gotta go to panama city

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Im watching Singin' in the Rain because of all the talk of musicals.

The actual best part of Singin’ in the Rain is the part where Donald O’Connor runs up a wall.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    speaking of movies

I slept like, 18 hours today and I am still sleepy and I kinda feel like I'm gonna lean up somewhere and vanish and leave a silhouette on the wall like in that Japanese movie Kairo Pulse

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I was a chorus member in my high school's production of How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying my Sophomore year, then Senior year I got to be Captain Brackett in South Pacific, which was a fun role because I didn't have to sing at all

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I was gonna be Scrooge in our middle school production of A Christmas Carol but I stole a kid's shoe so the teacher bumped me down to like, random citizen

it was a power thing. She was already mad at me because I brought a coffee into school and she literally snatched it from my hands so I denounced her as a thief in the middle of the hallway

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I didn't do plays in school because I'm not a nerd

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I guess i liked Men in Tights all the times i saw it and i'd see it again, and i haven't yet seen little shop of horrors or reefer madness.

But i didn't really care for a lot of those other ones.

i think 2007 hairspray was a huge moment of "oh, i guess i just don't like musicals". I've sort of come around on that and i mostly think a lot of them are fine, but there's only a small handful that I think are good (which is that I enjoyed watching them and would probably enjoy watching them again).

Like, i saw the version of jesus christ superstar with Rik Myall and there were some things I enjoyed, i.e. dirtbag, shiteating-grin judas, and the general dude being very melodramatic, but i feel like it was kinda enjoying things in spite of the movie rather than actually engaging with any of the emotions or characters, or enjoying the songs.

I'm really glad I didn't have to be in a comedy musical version of The Merchant of Venice in high school. I suspect the treatment of Shylock in the high school drama department of a small agrarian community would have...lacked nuance.

I'll be honest it may very well not have been merchant of venice, but some other comedy musical about 2 identical brothers in venice played by the same actor and some evil dude who's trying to convince them not to fall in love with women.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    I was gonna be Scrooge in our middle school production of A Christmas Carol but I stole a kid's shoe so the teacher bumped me down to like, random citizen

it was a power thing. She was already mad at me because I brought a coffee into school and she literally snatched it from my hands so I denounced her as a thief in the middle of the hallway

Stealing some kid's shoes feels like a very on brand move for Scrooge, though.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I was the titular role in our 2nd grade production of Clang The Clumsy Elf. In which my mother called my performance "very cute" And after such sterling reviews I retired from acting to not blemish my untarnished career.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I didn't do plays in school because I'm not a nerd

[citation needed]

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I didn't do high school plays because I was an outsider

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The only high school play I was in got student written plays banned at my school for a decade. We had accidental male nudity.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    speaking of movies

I slept like, 18 hours today and I am still sleepy and I kinda feel like I'm gonna lean up somewhere and vanish and leave a silhouette on the wall like in that Japanese movie Kairo Pulse

I literally just got done recording a podcast about Pulse. Weird.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I'm really glad I didn't have to be in a comedy musical version of The Merchant of Venice in high school. I suspect the treatment of Shylock in the high school drama department of a small agrarian community would have...lacked nuance.

I'll be honest it may very well not have been merchant of venice, but some other comedy musical about 2 identical brothers in venice played by the same actor and some evil dude who's trying to convince them not to fall in love with women.

im actually now kicking myself that i cant seem to find anything about what this was called

im trying to google the only song i can remember from it, or "list of stage musicals where one actor plays two identical brothers" and nope

EDIT: The Venetian Twins

Lalabox on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2020
    I was never on stage for high school musical productions because I was always in the orchestra. Much preferable, and generally far less work.

Edit: ok technically I was on stage for Oh What A Lovely War in yr 11 because the band sits on stage but like, nobody was paying attention to us.

tynic on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    tonight is a night for vanity

so i am doing a hudson hawk/return of bruno double feature

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I was in some plays in high school but always just skipped auditions for the musicals

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My Catholic school censored the production of Annie Get Your Gun. The two leads were very mad because they spent a lot of time blocking the scene where they kiss so they could do it without actually kissing and the principal still said no

Coinage on
  • Options

But Vanity isn’t in either of those. Try Action Jackson instead.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I legit regret doing boring electives in high school and wish I did more creative ones.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2020
    our drama and music stuff was all extra-curricular so it replaced nothing except sleep

tynic on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Invisible Man is very good and Aldis Hodge got fucking YOKED. GodDAMN those triceps were comin' for me, fuck.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

But Vanity isn’t in either of those. Try Action Jackson instead.

The Last Dragon count?

FUCK in imdbing this to make sure that was Vanity in it, I see Disney is remaking this movie this year? Or is it just using the title?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Speaking of musicals, I just saw "Anna and the Apocalypse". It's basically Shaun of the Dead starring high schoolers, with a high school musical tone and production value. It was nowhere near as good as Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland in terms of laughs or cleverness, but it was pretty charming.
    It also does the Shaun thing of going hard on being a dire zombie movie and dropping most the comedy by the end, so if you didn't like that part, you won't like this part either.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It was nowhere near as good as...Zombieland

A harsh judgement

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Found Shin Godzilla on bluray for dirt cheap.

I’ve seen it once before. It was the first movie I watched with my son (in double feature with Conan the Barbarian). He was maybe a week old, so it was mostly something to watch in the middle of the night between bottles and diapers every 45 minutes.

Turns out it’s even better when you’re not severely sleep deprived! Top tier Godzilla for sure. Maybe my second favourite, next to the original. I recognized it as a satire the first time, but I didn’t realize just how funny it was.

And the atomic breath scene is maybe the best Godzilla moment in the whole series. Absolutely horrifying.

This discussion has been closed.