As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wood database?

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
Can anyone recommend a wood database, or some way to tell if a given wood is sustainable?

I'm ordering a custom bow, and many of the woods I am googling are threatened or endangered. I'm finding the bow industry is almost as indifferent or unscrupulous as the furniture industry.

Is Google a good resource for this?

For example, I have seen some bows made of wenge, which is a beautiful dark wood that's almost black.

However, depending on where I read, it's either fine to use, or it's endangered and being exploited.

Can anyone point me to some reliable resources?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I guess my issue is this: the bowyer's don't seem to which woods they have, like they'll have a list of woods and they trust their suppliers to be ethical

Maple (standard, curly, birdseye)

Bubinga

Leopard wood

Wenge

Zebra

Osage

Purple heart

Red heart

Bacote

Jatoba

Che Chen

And for lots of them, there are several species it could be

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    maple isn't endangered as far as I know?

we have tons of Osage around here. I've got a friend who is dying to make a bow from some

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Are you building your own or going through someone else to have it made?
    If building your own, see if there is a lumber mill near you or some woodshop guy you can pick stuff up from.

I took @Xaquin to a guy near me who basically gets trees as they fall or are cut down by different organizations in the area. A lot of local species.

But as far as pulling from a vendor, you basically have to trust that they trust the seller of the wood.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    That guy is awesome!

I need to get back there.

• Options
    I'm ordering a bow. I would love to build my own, maybe I will some day

I'm really coming around on osage, and they stock that one, thanks to Xaquin

• Options
    edited March 2020
    yeah osage is basically a tree weed around here. It's super prolific, but I can see how it would be tough to find a piece long enough and ungnarled enough to make a bow with.

edit: I still have no idea how to pronounce it. I say it so that rhymes with massage but I don't know if that's right

Xaquin on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I guess my issue is this: the bowyer's don't seem to which woods they have, like they'll have a list of woods and they trust their suppliers to be ethical

Maple (standard, curly, birdseye)

Bubinga

Leopard wood

Wenge

Zebra

Osage

Purple heart

Red heart

Bacote

Jatoba

Che Chen

And for lots of them, there are several species it could be

Maple: It's fine..
    Bubinga: Generally "No" or "Fuck no". Of the bubinga species there are variatns that are endangered as fuck, overexploited or "We don't know because nobody has done a sustainability study on this one".
    Leopardwood*: It's OK.
    Wenge: "No" and bordering on "Fuck no"
    Zebra: No. Of the different species they're either endangered or overexploited.
    Osage: It's OK.
    Pupleheart*: Ok.
    Redheart: Some species are stable, some are "Hell no you shouldn't support this shit". From a supplier that has Wenge and Bubinga as options that would be a strong "No" to me. There is no fucking way these guys care enough to only use wood from sustainable populations.
    Bacote: Same answer as Redheart
    Jatoba*: It's OK.
    Che Chen: It's OK

*These species are themselves stable, but I add an asterisk since these are tropical species and you have no fucking clue if the companies that logged these non-threatened trees decided to build a road across "Last Grove of the Threatened" or "We live here - Last habitat of a forgotten insect species". Of the tropical species only Che Chen escapes that clause since it's generally harvested from countries with less...controversial harvesting practices.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah Osage and Maple are the go to around here for hobbyist bowyers to make bows from.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    yeah osage is basically a tree weed around here. It's super prolific, but I can see how it would be tough to find a piece long enough and ungnarled enough to make a bow with.

edit: I still have no idea how to pronounce it. I say it so that rhymes with massage but I don't know if that's right

Our Indian princess tribe says, "oh-sage", rhyming with 'age'.