As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Potentially stuck abroad

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited March 2020 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey so I'm in Tokyo and was having a great time on vacation. As I was leaving Odaiba today I got an email from the wonderful American Airlines that my flight home was cancelled. We shot them an email but I'm guessing the customer service is probably getting hammered with people in similar situations. We're not panicking yet but it is very stressful to hear that 3 days away from our original departure time.

What's the best way to get this sorted if I cant call and the app is useless? I contacted my mother and she's gonna call on my behalf, but what are my options? I'm seeing a flight nearly identical via AA that same day... For 1000+ dollars. The shit airlines seem to get away with is truly astounding.

Local H Jay on

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    As much as I am convinced of the general terribleness of AA, i'm not sure this is all on them. I think your best bet would indeed be to try a different communication channel.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah my mom told me to just go to the airport and talk to them directly. I'm trying to be understanding about the whole thing but they did the same thing on our flights in, changing it without notifying us until it was too late.

• Options
    sucks man, and if that was pre-corona i have no excuse for that. Hope you get things sorted at the airport!

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Welp, we went all the way to Haneda (the closest airport) and the AA desk was closed. They basically told us call internationally or you're SOL. Luckily I've got my mom trying to get through for me but the customer support line is atrocious. I really didn't think this could happen but hey, guess nobody is bulletproof. Really puts a damper on our last few days here as we're now more focused on figuring this out than having a good time.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    If there are no commercial flights available you may need to go to the U.S Embassy in Tokyo.

This is the sort of shit they handle, but it's last resort choice. The reason it is a last resort choice is because they do shit on a cost reimbursable basis and their goal is to get you home as fast as possible and not as inexpensively as possible.

Also, take extensive actions to document your extra costs (hotel, food, clothing, laundry, etc). You may want to put in a claim for costs when you get back, potentially a small claims issue.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Thanks that's great advice

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Personally I would take the 1000+ dollars option, focus on getting best out of the remaining days and write it off for now - and then see if something can be done when back home.

Why, because the situation with the virus changes from day to day and it could so bad that just getting home anytime soon is a challenge.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Thanks that's great advice
    Also, keep in mind that if the state department is getting you back into the country, you don't really get a choice where you end up. I've had contractors who state has gotten back because the area was being evacuated, you could end up in Guam, Hawaii, LA, Alaska or Texas. They're only help is to get you onto US soil.

• Options
    The happy ending we all deserve- my mother finally got through to customer service and got us rebooked for the same day... Not gonna lie folks that gave me a fucking heart attack. I suppose I'll update if thing go fucky again but let me be the example of what not to do during a pandemic... Just stay home.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    but...home is where the hearth is.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
This discussion has been closed.