Need plumbing advice

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
Need some help fixing my kitchen sink drain...

So apparently a previous plumber really screwed up.

In my diagram, they made the blue circled part too long, which put pressure on the red circled elbow and that broke. Plumber was there years ago and don't go into the crawl space often.

Apparently the plastic nut that is supposed to sit above the floor got shoved through so nothing is supporting the drain above the floor. The drain separated below the sink now but that should be an easy fix once the rest is secured.

Since the blue circled part was too long, it caused a negative flow and clogged up the horizontal lower part.

How would I best proceed to secure the drain above the floor?

I'm thinking about cutting off the lower horizontal part to make it a bit shorter to allow a positive flow out and eliminate the clogged part.

I'm a noob as far as plumbing goes.



  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    just getting a shorter connector from the trap to the drain (blue circled section) would be much easier than cutting pipe to try to make it fit

    as far as the floor, the easiest thing would be to get some sort of fiber panel, run the pipe through that and then seal the floor around it (especially if there's just a crawl space/ground beneath)

    that said you should generally not take on your own plumbing jobs unless you already know what you're doing

  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Some of those runs are intentionally not horizontal, so don't automatically assume it was installed wrong (it still may have but you want water to flow a certain way to stop sewer gases or to empty a certain run)

    You should also be able to buy a collar that goes around the pipe and has "wings" that sit on the floor and support the pipe above the floor (if that makes sense).

  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    Do not do your own plumbing or electrical, use someone bonded so that if it breaks (like this time) it is on the bonded contractor to make it right and so that your insurance will cover the issure without waiving the water damage liability because you decided to DIY it.

    Shop around for a pro with a solid BBB rating that is properly bonded and licensed.

  • deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    The blue circled part was installed wrong. It's too long and caused a negative flow on the horizontal part. The nut that is supposed to be on top of the floor is well under the floor.

    Also, apparently the hole in the floor is smaller than the nut so it wasn't pushed through. Not 100% sure the hole is big enough for the 2 inch pipe to drop it through from the top. Segment might be too long to angle it in anyway.

    Switching it up with 2 45 degree elbows. Shortening the part going into the ground.

Sign In or Register to comment.