As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the empty arena wrestling thread

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

I really wonder if this is going to be something, or if this is their version of the Women's Revolution

Wait, did Quentin Tarantino just join the AEW board?

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    If that is your thing whatever, but I am of the opinion that no match needs lighttubes. Sounds like the network is doing us a favor.

Aside from that DDT One light tube match I agree.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Strong disagree coming from the deathmatch trash contingent, light tubes rule

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Geddoe wrote: »
    If that is your thing whatever, but I am of the opinion that no match needs lighttubes. Sounds like the network is doing us a favor.

Aside from that DDT One light tube match I agree.

I'd also like to make an exception for that one time Orange Cassidy used a light tube on Joey Ryan.

I know it was visceral and extremely bloody and violent and we all prayed Joey Ryan would make it out of that match alive after that but I think that one needs an exception.

Damn I just reminded myself I used to really like Joey Ryan. Damn, can wrestling disappoint you.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    MOTY 2018 Masashi Takeda/Isami Kodaka in a lighttubes, giga ladder and glass board deathmatch

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    If anything more matches need light tubes

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I'm not even that into deathmatches but I think light tubes are fine in moderation.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Happy Kane Day, everyone.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Light tubes look awesome when they are smashed and thats why more matches should have them.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Jimmy Lloyd starting off his match with Masashi Takeda by repeatedly smashing himself with light tubes was a really well-done bit of storytelling that did a great job of conveying "Jimmy is so desperate to prove himself he called out someone out of his league, and now he's trying to posture like he's not hopelessly outmatched, and that's going to bite him in his ass" in a way that only watching a guy hit himself with light tubes in the head repeatedly in front of a confused and largely uncomfortable crowd could do

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    MOTY 2018 Masashi Takeda/Isami Kodaka in a lighttubes, giga ladder and glass board deathmatch

God that feud was so good!! It even involved Isami's favorite pop idol commentating for DDT and then declaring that Takeda was her favorite wrestler on the show much to his dismay.

Also, is that Miedo Extremo and Ciclope interview posted somewhere? I did a quick scroll through luchablog but couldn't find it.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Happy Kane Day, everyone.

Nevar ferget.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yu04AlSq9Dw

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options

God that feud was so good!! It even involved Isami's favorite pop idol commentating for DDT and then declaring that Takeda was her favorite wrestler on the show much to his dismay.

Also, is that Miedo Extremo and Ciclope interview posted somewhere? I did a quick scroll through luchablog but couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGFtAcMnX8

A longer English summary of it https://micromanfever.tumblr.com/post/616886584333189120/ciclope-y-miedo-extremo-interview-for-mas-lucha

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I’m pro light tube, it’s what most venues use to light up the ring and it would probably be dangerous to wrestle in the dark

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    If your ring isn't lit exclusively by flashlights and/or your fans' cellphones, are you even an indy promotion?

• Options
    Kreutz wrote: »
    If your ring isn't lit exclusively by flashlights and/or your fans' cellphones, are you even an indy promotion?

hey now this is unfair

some shows run outdoors in parking lots

• Options
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    While this discussion of light tubes is illuminating, I'm going to interrupt it for something important.

How does one properly celebrate getting a Raw Women's title run from the Man, you buy yourself a Street Fighter II machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCG4QeEVYT4

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Happy 74th birthday to Andre Rene Roussimoff and let us never forget his words of wisdom:

EYYG9UBXYAEmxP0?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I think the sound and visuals of light tubes are cool as hell, but I'm not super comfortable with guys running around on and being covered in broken glass, also isn't all that dust like super bad chemicals? That's fucked up, shouldn't breathe that

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    I would like to share maybe my favorite wrestling-adjacent thing I have seen, which is a charity basketball game between the 1988 NWA roster and the Charlotte police department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JHoywBdHQ&feature=emb_title

Barry Windham and Dusty could both fucking ball.

This youtube account has been posting some pretty rare and unusual stuff, like Dory Funk Jr vs Barry Windham from 1988.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I think the sound and visuals of light tubes are cool as hell, but I'm not super comfortable with guys running around on and being covered in broken glass, also isn't all that dust like super bad chemicals? That's fucked up, shouldn't breathe that

There is Mercury in light tubes

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Happy 74th birthday to Andre Rene Roussimoff and let us never forget his words of wisdom:

EYYG9UBXYAEmxP0?format=jpg&name=900x900

The hypocrisy!

Calling anyone else "big".

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Gotta make candy glass light tubes.

That way you can eat them afterwards!

• Options
    edited May 2020
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    You can just eat regular light tubes

Theres a bunch of blood in this video

https://youtu.be/yBmeYDeXVUw

Thank you for this gift.

• Options
    Dark Side of the Ring, Owen ep
    I was already a mess before this part, but hearing Cornette break down when people nearby described Owen's last sentence being a yell of "Look out!" as he was falling fucking broke me

Especially this week with the Shad news and how Shad asked for his kid to be saved before the next wave came and took him

Knowing you're done, but still thinking about others and wanting them to be okay

My heart hurts

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    You can just eat regular light tubes

Theres a bunch of blood in this video

https://youtu.be/yBmeYDeXVUw

Thank you for this gift.

When Weird Al's voice kicks in I really perked up.

• Options
    Dark Side of the Ring, Owen ep
    I was already a mess before this part, but hearing Cornette break down when people nearby described Owen's last sentence being a yell of "Look out!" as he was falling fucking broke me

Especially this week with the Shad news and how Shad asked for his kid to be saved before the next wave came and took him

Knowing you're done, but still thinking about others and wanting them to be okay

My heart hurts

I thought I would mostly feel sad, but I was wrong. I mostly feel mad at Vince and WWE. I mean madder than I always am at them. It was all so pointless.
    Unlike every other Dark Side none of this is Owen's fault. He was a once in a million talent, a great family guy, and didn't get wrecked and fuck around on the road. He was saving money so he could retire and just be a family guy, and he died for what would have been a mild laugh before a pointless midcard match.

I'm so glad his kids stayed away from wrestling and seem to be doing good.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Super 7 revealed the 2nd wave of NJPW toys

1589825259NJPW_Groupwide_Final_Square_Logo_email_2048x2048.jpg?v=1589825428

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Being in Kemper for Over the Edge completely destroyed my ability to watch and enjoy wrestling for about 5 years (despite knowing people in the industry pretty much my whole life to that point), and my dad (who was also there with my group of friends and family) never has recovered his fandom and probably never will. I always considered it bullshit that they never let the live audience know, I found out Owen was DOA once the show let out, because a friend of mine worked as a CNA at Truman hospital at the time and called me after they finished the broadcast.

I started to get back into it around the time they put the straps on Eddie Guerrero and Benoit. in 2004, but never have gotten back to the peak enthusiasm of my teens.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    You know, it's not the biggest issue, but if they were trying to make the Blue Blazer a comedy character and a parody of Sting maybe instead of a quick release harness they should have had him wear like a bunch of extra harnesses? Like he should have landed in the ring and spent a Naito entrance worth of time removing straps. Like they could have had The Godfather even get some heat by jumping the fun beloved goofy face before he's out of all that safety gear.

I don't know, I just think it speaks a lot to the lack of concern for a performer's safety compared to having to come up with a second idea for a thing.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    what if...everyone stopped wrestling. or all combat sports? are we ready for that conversation yet

• Options
    edited May 2020
    LA County investigators confirmed Shad Gaspard's body was found washed up on Venice Beach early this morning

Sweeney Tom on
This discussion has been closed.