As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I had some help last night in the form of my 6 year old who insisted on "pressing the buttons" whilst I aimed the mouse. Somehow we managed to build a hypertube from the factory floor which is perched on the side of a massive cliff, down a sheer set of foundation frames to the side of the river down below whereupon you're spat out at such an angle that you splat into the side of the coal plant on the other side after soaring freely across the river. Then we split off some coal from the mk2 miner on the pure node over there and ran it back up the same foundation through a series of lifts to the factory so it could feed my hungry refineries. We didn't even fall over the side once! I was amazed

Then when he was in bed I thought I better get quartz up and running so I could get access to the map. Spent some time making some personal storage chests to store the non-essentials, loaded up on spiked rebar and prepped for the voyage out into the unknown. Then I booped for quartz and there's a pure node about 200m from my factory, so that was a waste of time. 5 minutes later and I had a miner set up and the conveyor running on top of the new coal input and now I've got a whole load of crystal being generated. I can't automate the oscillator thing because I don't have the next level of assembler that accepts three inputs

So I guess now's the time to build up a spur of my factory that I can temporarily plop down things to make the space elevator parts, and split off part production from my main factory into there

Can't wait

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I had some help last night in the form of my 6 year old who insisted on "pressing the buttons" whilst I aimed the mouse. Somehow we managed to build a hypertube from the factory floor which is perched on the side of a massive cliff, down a sheer set of foundation frames to the side of the river down below whereupon you're spat out at such an angle that you splat into the side of the coal plant on the other side after soaring freely across the river. Then we split off some coal from the mk2 miner on the pure node over there and ran it back up the same foundation through a series of lifts to the factory so it could feed my hungry refineries. We didn't even fall over the side once! I was amazed

Then when he was in bed I thought I better get quartz up and running so I could get access to the map. Spent some time making some personal storage chests to store the non-essentials, loaded up on spiked rebar and prepped for the voyage out into the unknown. Then I booped for quartz and there's a pure node about 200m from my factory, so that was a waste of time. 5 minutes later and I had a miner set up and the conveyor running on top of the new coal input and now I've got a whole load of crystal being generated. I can't automate the oscillator thing because I don't have the next level of assembler that accepts three inputs

So I guess now's the time to build up a spur of my factory that I can temporarily plop down things to make the space elevator parts, and split off part production from my main factory into there

Can't wait

Honestly you don't end up needing a ton of oscillators anyway. Mostly for unlocking stuff. You can use alt recipes to completely remove them from product production.

Silica, on the other hand, you will need.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    SporkAndrew
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    There's a new danger tube in Quid's shared server. I recommend wearing jet propulsion if you venture north, until I'm able to touch up the finish a bit.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    @Tynnan I saw your question in game. I set up a refinery to make packaged fuel but not a full on production line. I've just been dropping containers in manually to avoid messing with y'alls lines.

Also the tubes aren't dangerous. They're exciting because of the danger involved.

TynnanSporkAndrewElvenshae
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    alright I took pictures of my factory (s)
    f6ewdgymmj5h.jpg

my main floor. iron and concrete towards the back plus a bit of steel. it's a huge mess and I refuse to clean it up. in the back you can see my main copper facility.

0i1zirabw4tv.jpg

same spot, different view. you can see my first coal facility, and the train which brings plastic in from my refinery. more on that later. that big skybridge just brings quartz in right now, which I'm not using for anything because it turns out it's just easier to buy the research parts with tickets.

vji10787xxyk.jpg

copper building. no, you can't see inside, it's a rat's nest. I like the all-glass construction though I doubt I'll do it again because windows start to look weird once you get far away and it's distracting to me.

cjaz5fdl57j7.jpg

secondary copper building. all that gets made here is cable, plus a tiny bit of copper wire. most of it gets fed to the smaller facility on the left, which is where I'm making a space elevator part. haven't put a cap on that building yet because I'm not sure if it's as big as it needs to be.

4bay6xk7u8d6.jpg

this is my refinery building. haven't put a cap on it yet just because I haven't gotten around to it (it's very far from my main base even via hypertube) but it's probably as big as it's going to get.

f1b1nqfa6sbk.jpg

closer shot of how I fed my refineries. sending the pipes up through the skeletonized foundations was a ton of fun and it worked shockingly well. I like the look a lot but I doubt I'll do it again because of all the pumps you have to add in order to make sure it runs consistently. in the future I'll probably stack pipes up overhead, as I did here with the output from the two refineries making fuel from residue.

m8p7kn5or1vx.jpg

my current work in progress. primarily an iron facility but it's meant to be an all-in-one location for two space elevator parts, so it will have a floor for some steel production. you can also see my space elevator there. this isn't its first location; I tore the first one down because it was in the way of my copper facility.

7sowhe0c5oe4.jpg

just smelters and constructors. you can also see the subfloor.

Shorty on
    MuddBuddSporkAndrewTynnanQuidRadiationElvenshaeIronKnuckle's Ghostspono
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Looks great! I love tearing down and rebuilding the space elevator. The build animation is just so damn good. I would love to see some weird "N" Space unfolding animation for the HUB, where when you place it, the drop pod comes down with this cube, and the Hub unfurls and expands from it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    QuidShortySporkAndrew
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    y'all, if you haven't taken the factory cart for a (literal) spin, you need to do so

it is the dumbest, best thing in this game

webguy20JedocElvenshaeQuidspono
    also the explorer is just generally good and I'm mad I didn't unlock it sooner

MuddBudd
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    also the explorer is just generally good and I'm mad I didn't unlock it sooner

I still have a soft spot for the sugar cube, It was what I only had access to for 6 months when I started.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    so I started this yesterday and only now remembered how a distributed power grid works

yall I had 6 biomass generators, each connected to one power pole. I was burning through SO MUCH fuel

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Jedocspono
    Mysst wrote: »
    so I started this yesterday and only now remembered how a distributed power grid works

yall I had 6 biomass generators, each connected to one power pole. I was burning through SO MUCH fuel

Oof! I hope you started in the grassy plains area.

webguy20 wrote: »

Oof! I hope you started in the grassy plains area.

I did! I'm down to two grids, one with three gens running my ironworks and a second with just one doing copper and concrete, since they're further out. working on the first space elevator delivery!

ikbUJdU.jpg

I did this too

I'm dumb as shit, what's your excuse

I did this too

I'm dumb as shit, what's your excuse

I'm just a wireman! I'm not paid to know this shit. that I do is merely coincidental

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Shorty
    so, uh, coal, huh. fuck you if you want any?

ikbUJdU.jpg
    it can be tough to get to depending on which starting location you chose, yeah

later on you'll start to appreciate that some of these long distances aren't so long though

webguy20TynnanQuidKwoaru
    This is why you launch yourself across the sky via a series of tubes.

TynnanSporkAndrew
    Quid wrote: »
    This is why you launch yourself across the sky via a series of tubes.

I'm confused. What does the internet have to do with getting across the map?

edited April 2020
    Got around to making a video of my second tube ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_c8m_krWUg

It's only killed me once and caused a single severe injury. Exceeds FICSIT standards.

Quid on
    Jedocwebguy20MysstSporkAndrewmilskispono
    Finally got around to working my way down the Catarium tech tree. Just unlocked geothermal. Goddamn supercomputers are a pain to hand make. Luckily I have all the materials in excess so it's just a matter of collecting them all up and them assembling. I think I might take a little break after building the 4 Geothermal's I'm working on. Play some Cities Skylines for a bit. Then come back and go explore the desert.

I finally built my baby-tier space elevator parts assembly

G4rQQVrl.jpg
    5 assemblers working away building things via the overflow from the parts nightmare

w8DtRhBl.jpg
    I made use of a little cliff-top real estate I had. There's 3 conveyors because the top one is the overflow that I connect once I've gotten my 500 parts and whilst I sort out the connections for the next part. It connects straight to the mincer so I get some points from the created parts as well as any materials left in the lifts / conveyors

22FShpPl.jpg
    This is the nightmare of my main factory floor. It was nice and tidy until I added the two lifts to get parts to the space elevator parts assembly, but nevermind. Smelters / foundries live on the bottom floor where all the ore comes in, constructors live on the second floor building the intermediary parts and then assemblers are on the top taking those and turning those into the "advanced" parts. At the moment any overflow is run straight down into the shredder for more tickets.

I put the orange wall there as a nice soft landing pad for when you come out of the hypertube, to stop sending you flying into the noxious fumes of the smelter array. It always makes me smile hearing the "thunk" as you smack into it

I'm at something like 2000MW of production so far from two coal nodes. Hopefully I can get to a better tier of power production soon otherwise I'm going to have to go hunting for more coal and run another power plant somewhere

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    MuddBuddMysstTynnanShorty
    edited April 2020
    so I finally have coal power and lemme tell ya, I have a lot more respect for rural lineworkers now. this puppy is streeetched

oh also I dropped a tractor in the lake. that's the real yeehaw shit

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    SporkAndrewShortywebguy20
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I wish there was a hypertube exit pad or something

I really want to make tubes with perfectly vertical entrances and exits like futurama but i also want to avoid shattering my pioneers knees every time I use one

2x39jD4.jpg
    That's basically what gel pads are

RadiationQuidwebguy20SporkAndrew
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Jumped back into the game recently and started new game on desert area. Determined to make a "clean" factory this time.

Annnnnnnnd it's a mess.

dog-makes-a-mess-funny-pictures.jpg

MysstShortyQuidDoodmannTynnanwebguy20SporkAndrewJedocOut Of Contextspono
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    If the game didn’t want spaghetti factories it wouldn’t make it so easy to link A to B by doing factory parcour while mashing the conveyor construct button

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    ShortyQuidSporkAndrewJedoc
    now that I have coal power and a basic steel mill I think I have the room to breath and clean up or move my ironworks.

iron rods, do you have enough? no, never

ikbUJdU.jpg
    when I put together my copper plant the goal was very much "okay this one isn't going to be a fucking nightmare like the last one"

haha, whoops!

part of the problem was, I built it after deciding I did want things to be at least somewhat tidy but before I really knew how to use splitters and such to make that at all possible

Or solid steel walls. It makes a nice "thwack" sound as you bounce against it

My factory was basically "how do I make enough screws" and I just started running things in rows. When the splitters start to not have enough ore to power a smelter, or parts for a constructor, etc I'll just run another input and then merge where it starts to slow down. There's definitely more efficient ways of doing things but I like just having everything in one place

Maybe next I'll make mini-factories for parts with everything self-contained. That way it'll be less of a nightmare

anyone running trucks? how good is it?

ikbUJdU.jpg
    I never bothered setting up trucks. I blew past them in milestones and trains are a lot easier to manage, since once you get over the hurdle of setting up tracks you don't need to worry about terrain vs. autopilot disagreements.

webguy20Quid
    I'm toying with the idea of having trucks bring over the components I need to assemble the last two project parts

oh shit you get trains? ok I'm good then

ikbUJdU.jpg
    I blew by trucks too. When they're useful you can get by with longer conveyor runs, and by the time you need large capacity transport across big distances you have trains, which are just 1000% cooler.

SporkAndrewTynnan
    I built a bridge. fuck nature.

ikbUJdU.jpg
    webguy20ShortySporkAndrewTynnanQuid
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I've heard there can be jank with trucks but they've generally worked out fine in my factory.

It can be fun taking advantage of natural roads rather than just paving over the whole world.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I've heard there can be jank with trucks but they've generally worked out fine in my factory.

It can be fun taking advantage of natural roads rather than just paving over the whole world.

Trucks work best when they are running half way across a map where you can't see them. The game doesn't actually spawn them at that point, just does the math in regards to transit time and moving resources. It's when they are actually spawned around you and driving that things can go off the rails pretty quick.

I've heard that once you start building and extracting at very large scales, trucks are good to combine with trains

like, you make your bars or parts or whatever, use trucks to take them from several locations to a train depot, then ship them where they need to go

I think, anyway, I'm not sure

webguy20
    Finished up installing four Geothermal plants. Had a few close by my base, two of which were like 200m behind one of my buildings, easy install right there. I do love how the game prioritizes LOD though. Some extreme close ups taken from my base near the top of the map. The radar tower is at the eastern entrance to the big northern canyon, and the two generators are in the northern savannah desert, the original desert starting area.

pnuh43rhv7ig.jpg
    2irra3gatz78.jpg

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Gel pads are so big though! There is no good way to fit them in

Plus if you fire straight down out of a tube fast enough you'll still hit the ground and get hurt

2x39jD4.jpg