Options

PC Games - Valorant & Reky out today!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I doubt I'll ever play it but I like the idea of Elite Dangerous bein around I like a good space thing

We need Elite Dangerous to provide the foil to Star Citizen. Is there VR options for Elite?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I need to try and restart Elite one of these days, I got a bit overwhelmed figuring stuff out and ended up wasting money on mining stuff, couldn't figure out how it actually worked, and then dying horribly when I tried a combat mission.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I doubt I'll ever play it but I like the idea of Elite Dangerous bein around I like a good space thing

We need Elite Dangerous to provide the foil to Star Citizen. Is there VR options for Elite?

Yeah, it's maybe the best advertisement for VR out there. Just a perfect showcase for it.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

I don't play it very often, but once or twice I year I get the urge to just fly around in space and scan some planets.

And Elite Dangerous is always there for me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there's really nothing out there that's providing the experience that people who miss the X-Wing games are craving, but I will say that elite dangerous comes very close

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Yeah, it's maybe the best advertisement for VR out there. Just a perfect showcase for it.

I could certainly be down for some VR space trucking. How rough is the early game? I know the Elite games aren't terribly newb friendly.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube wrote: »

I could certainly be down for some VR space trucking. How rough is the early game? I know the Elite games aren't terribly newb friendly.

From what I hear the new tutorials are pretty robust. They've done a lot in the last year to smooth out the new player experience. They've also increased the money curve pretty significantly so progression is a lot faster.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    it was about the paradox games announcement

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I did it! I finally worked up the nerve to admit I'm never actually going to go back to playing Path of Exile and uninstalled it.

It's been sitting on my hard drive for years, sucking bandwidth for updates and contributing to the eventual death of this drive. I always thought I might go back and play it some more, but I never, ever did and really never had any drive to do so.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

If you have a high tolerance for older game design, Ultima IV is an incredibly fascinating game.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Weird that they're not offering 123, or 5 though. Licensing issues?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Occasionally I get a weird itch to play Ultima 2 again even though it was a really bad game. Probably because it was the only game I had back when I was 11 years old.

(Of course that was the year the first Final Fantasy was released but I probably didn't know about it until a year later when I found it at the rental shop.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Weird that they're not offering 123, or 5 though. Licensing issues?

EA released IV and the spinoffs as freeware about a decade ago. They've been free on GOG for a long time.

E: clarity

I Zimbra on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I have an abiding fondness for Ultima IV. The first time I played I went into the fortune teller's wagon, answered all the problems and started the game as... the Shepherd! The shepherd as a PC has nearly nonexistent offensive and defensive capabilities and starts in dire isolation from the rest of the work map.

Somehow* I learned what answers to the fortune teller's questions got you going as the Mage, and re-started.

* I cannot figure out to this day how I did this. This was 1985-6, and there was no internet, no GameFAQs, not wikis. No one I knew played RPGs on their Apple ][E. I don't think I had a strategy guide for it. It must have been a magazine? A physical magazine? I also somehow was able to look up which square to stand on (in that wretched poison swamp) at which phases of the moon to farm Mandrake. <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I remember grabbing Ultima 6 out of a discount bin at Best Buy (on 5 1/4 floppies, no less) without having any idea what it was and it blew my young mind right out of my skull that a video game could give you that much freedom.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    enjoyed Arx enough that I figured I'd move ahead with another Arkane game I've owned for years and never beat: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. And when I say, never beat, I more mean, barely played. To the point where I launched it last night and was surprised that they used the Source engine.

my initial impressions:
    Combat, relative to Arx, is still pretty wonky. It's slightly better, especially with the kick, but it's extremely hard for me to judge distance. I'm often swinging or kicking a bit too early, and whiffing. And getting hit by enemies who seem too far away. The 'impale' attack feels like it should be a finisher, and it just doesn't seem to work that way (maybe with some upgrades?). Kicking people down stairs, again, feels like it should be a good solution, but - at least on hardcore - it seems to barely faze them. "Into spikes", "off roofs", and "into fire" gives me more what I'm expecting. Much like Arx, there's a weird input lag in effect when I try to charge a power attack or parry. I'm seeing in the manual that timed parries are better, so I'll try that in a bit. Switching weapons has a fairly annoying flourishing effect, which makes it hard to, e.g., use the staff to knock someone down then switch to the short sword and stab them.

I'm attributing it more to the difficulty level, but in general traps don't seem helpful ... and they're very sensitive. I shot a barrel, half-expecting to knock it into an enemy; it broke apart, and the debris broke the wooden floor.

Movement is weird. I suppose it's an artifact of attaching the camera to a physical body, as Arx was similar. Moving around in combat is awkward, at best. Enemies move strangely and dodge oddly. Trying to chase this ghoul has been a bit frustrating.

I haven't spent any skill points yet, but I did earn an extra one in the intro assault. Judging by the manual, anyway; I find this to be a really interesting approach. That said, the RPG elements seem a bit simplified. In general, despite some trappings (in particular the way objects are highlighted) reminiscent of immersive sims, the game reminds me more of Heretic or Hexen. Not that I actually played those, but still.

The inventory is fine. I can't carry multiple copies of the same sword, but I am carrying around a half-dozen shields. Keys are stored elsewhere, and the correct one selected automatically. All kinds of food are lumped together into one slot, and limited to 20. I haven't noticed any gold yet, so it's entirely possible that there's no shops. That would track with the FPS heritage.

Despite the recognition issues, I was very fond of the rune system in Arx, and going back to standard spells is a bit sad. Though I suppose part of that might be the rush to find a publisher and subsequent requirement of the M&M franchise. I appreciate them starting you with the MEGA. VISTA. night vision spell; doubly so because it's free; but the time limit seems like an odd decision.

Tamin on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    DM's RPG system may seem simplistic, but boy do your choices make a big impact on how the game plays. Unlike so many "RPG"s where you're mostly just buying 2% to X and maybe notice a difference 10 hours in.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Ultima VII allowed me the opportunity to run a black market bread ring when I was a kid, and for that I'll be forever grateful.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    It is so satisfying to get horsejacked and have Arthur stand up, whistle, calmly walk up to the thief who's just been bucked off his trusty steed, and pop their head with the sawn-off. Buddy the horse is such a bro.

I discovered that when you first study an animal or pick a plant Arthur sketches it. I just spent a night out wandering around looking at animals with my binos and searching for new herbs, and now have like 8 consecutive pages in the journal just of his drawings. This journal feature is so freaking cool.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Fuck. Ya’ll are really making me want to play this horse tiding simulator.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

It might be the best game I've ever played? I think I say that about every new game I play so who knows. But I know that I loved RDR so so much and was gutted to finish it, and so far this game has triumphantly beaten that one in every way.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    hate to do this so early, but in Dark Messiah
    I found a candelabra in the first house and a note saying to attach it to the right pillar in the study. I've been through the house several times now. Feeling pretty dumb, because none of the rooms I've found really match the description, except for the room in which I found the item ... and there aren't any pillars (that I recognize as such) in there.

What am I looking for, exactly?

edit: took another pass, and this time it lit up in a place I'm sure I'd tried before, so... moving on.

Tamin on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

I read this as house tidying stimulator at first and got excited until I realized you meant rdr2.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    It is so satisfying to get horsejacked and have Arthur stand up, whistle, calmly walk up to the thief who's just been bucked off his trusty steed, and pop their head with the sawn-off. Buddy the horse is such a bro.

I discovered that when you first study an animal or pick a plant Arthur sketches it. I just spent a night out wandering around looking at animals with my binos and searching for new herbs, and now have like 8 consecutive pages in the journal just of his drawings. This journal feature is so freaking cool.

If you haven't seen it already, he also writes journal entries about a lot of quests, and theres a bunch of entries that explain in more detail what went down in Blackwater before the game. Arthur is a good writer and artist.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    This just popped up on the Microsoft store

No word on a PC release, in fact no official announcement at all yet, but I would expect one considering the original came to PC

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Yeah, Arthur's journal goes a long, long way towards humanising him.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Re-Reckoning is a title so astronomically stupid that I can't help but begrudgingly respect it

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Re-Reckoning is a title so astronomically stupid that I can't help but begrudgingly respect it

Should have squeezed Revengeance in there

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    For no discernable reason, I've been thinking about that game a lot lately.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    I always thought Amalur was about 60% of a good game weighed down by a lot of filler.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

for a game that was already called KINGDOMS OF AMALUR: RECKONING

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Get Re-Rekt!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

No word on a PC release, in fact no official announcement at all yet, but I would expect one considering the original came to PC

I’ll take it, but it kind of sucks they’re no actually doing a redo and making completely new art and assets. An upscale with bells and whistles is fine, but I’m getting sick of these kinds of releases

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

I read this as house tidying stimulator at first and got excited until I realized you meant rdr2.

There is that house flipping simulator on Steam, theres lots of tidying there. Abby played it on a few streams last year, check it out.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I’ll take it, but it kind of sucks they’re no actually doing a redo and making completely new art and assets. An upscale with bells and whistles is fine, but I’m getting sick of these kinds of releases

Hopefully they at least fix the goofy-ass zone leveling.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Slay the Spire, Into the Breach, and Mini Metro are my go-to touchscreen games on my Surface. It works just as well as you hope it will.

• Options
    Mini Metro is so good. Mini Highways is pretty fun too.

This discussion has been closed.