As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animal Crossing - Where you can walk with the animals, sing with the animals...

Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice?Really?Registered User regular
edited May 2020 in Games and Technology
Time for a new Animal Crossing thread, shamelessly stolen OP from Sterica.

YbOHqZM.jpg
Friend Info List
Friend Info Submission Form
DIY Community Recipe Master List. Tell us what you know!
Visual aid for Nook item colors: https://imgur.com/a/xe0GcrO
Fill out the form here
View responses here
If you want to sell or buy turnips, this is suggested to keep chaos to a minimum. Turnip Queue Page: https://turnip.exchange/
A cool find by akjak, Animal Crossing Art Generator: https://experiments.getty.edu/ac-art-generator
ACNH/ACNL Advanced Flower Genetics
A list of K.K. Slider songs
A helpful guide on buying art

A visual guide for flower breading
xr5tvhs3t44s.png
518bhj1ramw41.png

What is Animal Crossing? It's a small-town life simulator from Nintendo, and it's an open-ended game where you pretty much set your own goals. Make mad cash on the Stalk Market and get the biggest house. Collect all of the wildlife for your house, or donate to the local museum! Collect furniture sets, or mix and match to unleash you inner decorator. Or become the ultimate control freak, curating who lives in your town and taking meticulous control over every square inch of the landscaping. Your imagination is the limit. In the last game I had my character transition over the summer. And that's not even getting into multiplayer! It's fun, low-key kind of game, and it typically only demands about a half-hour of your time each time. You certainly can go longer than that, but Animal Crossing is definitely more of a slow burn, expecting you to play over a little bit each day over a long period of time.

TyF9qHd.jpg

But first, some history:

Dōubutsu no Mori
N64
The very first Animal Crossing game, this never saw an English release until the GameCube version a few years later. I really miss the weird horned-hair kids the game had for Villagers in this one.
uIecD5G.jpg
Lookit that cute dork! Why wasn't this a Smash skin???

Animal Crossing: Wild World
Nintendo DS
Game number two introduced online play, along with new features like haircuts (RIP Horned Villagers). Also removed holidays which was...not well-received.

Animal Crossing: City Folk
Wii
The third game had a city portion that you could visit with expanded shops and characters.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3DS
Fourth in the series made you the mayor, introducing a number of quality-of-life features. You got a bit more control over the town, and there were useful city ordinances that could let you do things like shift the town's hours to be later to accommodate your real-life schedule. Also redesigned the villagers to give them more human proportions (taller, longer limbs). Also introduced Isabelle, the single most popular new character, who quickly took over as the franchise's mascot. They added her to Smash Bros.! Had a major update halfway through its lifespan that added a bunch of features such as amiibo support.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
3DS
The first spinoff game, in which your job is to design homes for various villagers. Introduced an easier way to move furniture, which was added as an unlockable feature in New Leaf.

Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
Wii U
The second spinoff game, and the only one for the ill-fated Will U. It was created after demand for a game that required and heavily drew upon amiibo for its gameplay. So, what people wanted was Skylanders, and what they got was somehow worse Mario Party. The game only uses Animal Crossing amiibo, and since you are just moving around the board and collecting bells or Win the Game Currency, there is no reason to require amiibo. They just determine your character and are required to roll your dice, which just makes the game more annoying to play since you have to pass around the gamepad. A boring, terrible game that won't even hold a young child's interest for long. Still worth buying since it's a very cheap way to get Isabelle and Digby amiibos (aka the only reason people bought this game).

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp
Mobile
The third spinoff, this is more like a traditional AC game, except everything is covered in a slimy layer of micro-transactions. Enjoy features such as "grinding for currencies to unlock items" and "buying special currencies to make items build faster." Seriously, this game is pretty bad. But good news!

Y7WZTtu.jpg

Animals Crossing: New Horizons
Switch
The fifth main game, and the focus of the thread. Here's the new stuff:
  • You are on an island!
  • Skin tone is now an option. Uh...better late than never?
  • Hairstyles are now all unisex, so no more unlocking for the other gender.
  • You can choose how the seasons progress (Northern or Southern hemisphere)
  • Best Friend option means you can determine which visiting players can make lasting changes to your town.
  • Nook Miles are a new currency that is harder to grind than Bells and will offer unique rewards.
  • Camera mode for those sweet selfies with your favorite villagers.
  • Inventory tweaks: more space, better stacking, etc.
  • New accessories like purses and backpacks
  • More granular movement with furniture. Still a grid system.
  • The NookPhone has a bunch of apps, such as altering the landscape of your island. Need a bridge? Waterfall?
  • You can finally create paths instead of laying down patterns like a crazed artists.
  • And more!

5dVobiv.png

I will expand this with more guides and tips once we have our hands on the games. Check the Switch thread for friend codes!

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
Toxic Toys on

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    For some reason, the 'coffee cup' decoration is not customizable, but I have at least three different versions of it. I find this very odd.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I shot my 300th balloon down yesterday and my special delivery has yet to show up. :(

Also, I've gone 0 for 4 on my fossils for two days now so if anyone wants a visit from the Fossil Fairy open your gates and I'll probably swing by because I gotta unload these things.

EDIT: Actually here's my stock at the moment
    2x Tricera Skull
    Deiony Torso
    Parasaur Tail
    Parasaur Skull
    TRex Skull - claimed
    Sabertooth Tail
    Plesio Tail
    Iguanadon Tail
    2x Pachy Skull
    Ptera Left Wing
    Diplo Neck
    Quetzal Torso
    2x Ammonite
    2x Acanthostega
    Trilobite
    Anomalocaris

If I find someone open who needs these they might not be available.

While I have my file open, here's the list of things I need AFAIK
    Quetzal Right Wing
    Stegosaurus Skull
    Stegosaurus Tail
    Tricera Torso
    Tricera Tail
    Spinsaurus Tail
    TRex Tail
    Dimetrodon. All of it. This thing never roamed Glosta, apparently.
    Diplo Torso
    Diplo Hip
    Brachio Skull
    Mastodon Torso
    Megacero Tail
    Coprolite

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Having only got the game last Tuesday, visiting other people's islands is both humbling and kind of intimidating.

So much stuff I still need to do.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Good morning, new thread!

Here is a neat tool posted late last night in the old thread: https://experiments.getty.edu/ac-art-generator

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    How do you figure out if a DIY is a duplicate of what you already have without looking it up in the recipe book?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    How do you figure out if a DIY is a duplicate of what you already have without looking it up in the recipe book?

Try to learn it. It'll fail if you know it already.

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

The game won't let you learn a recipe you already know.

• Options
    ShubNiggurathShubNiggurath Arkham, MARegistered User regular
    You can try to learn it from your inventory. It’ll notify you if you already know it.

High Priestess Ubb of the island of Yhe Abyss
    VillagerDB Wish List
  • Options
    Likewise, if you try to buy say, a fence recipe from the ATM, it tells you if its something you already know.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    @Vyolynce I would very much appreciate the Trex skull.

• Options
    My afternoon turnip prices are at 341 if you haven't sold yours off yet. I'm going to be afk, but I'm setting the switch up to not fall asleep.

https://turnip.exchange/island/aa4f7d6f

VillagerDB Wish List
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I'm at 345 for the next 50ish minutes.

https://turnip.exchange/island/30ec44d1

• Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    For once, I was happy to see this banner...

qye751kzc7sa.jpeg

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    am0k9ee39ukx.jpg

I just really love this picture.
    akjak wrote: »
    Good morning, new thread!

Here is a neat tool posted late last night in the old thread: https://experiments.getty.edu/ac-art-generator

That's awesome. Added to the OP along with the turnip queue page.

• Options
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Vyolynce I would very much appreciate the Trex skull.

Give me a shout when you're open. I'm home all day (except maybe gonna mow my back yard this afternoon).

• Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    I put this in the old thread before I knew there was a new one. So i will post it here also.

Any change one of you have a big bookshelf you can send me, or schedule a time I can come by and catalog one? My den layout is screaming for a big bookshelf, and I am having no luck in finding one.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    So nothing really special for sale today at Mable's, Cavalier shirt, Junihitoe kimono, and denim overalls are what stand out to me. Gates are open and just say if you want to touch a crown, I might be AFK.

@Vyolynce - put me on the list for T-rex head or tail.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    BitTWist wrote: »
    I put this in the old thread before I knew there was a new one. So i will post it here also.

Any change one of you have a big bookshelf you can send me, or schedule a time I can come by and catalog one? My den layout is screaming for a big bookshelf, and I am having no luck in finding one.

If that's a DIY recipe you won't be able to catalog it. I know I have a recipe for some kind of bookshelf that takes 5 books, is it that one?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Vyolynce - put me on the list for T-rex head or tail.

I don't have a tail (it's one I need), and the head's already been claimed. I'll keep it in mind though.

EDIT: Also you already have a T Rex skull? I don't fund personal collections. :P

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I have just learned that apparently the hybrid flowers you get from mystery islands are incapable of breeding more advanced hybrids such as gold roses, AND that even if you're growing your flowers from seed, they have a chance to develop offspring which are similarly incapable of advancement.

Yikes.

• Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

If that's a DIY recipe you won't be able to catalog it. I know I have a recipe for some kind of bookshelf that takes 5 books, is it that one?

Any big bookshelf will do. I'm not even picky about the color.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

I think I've got the recipe for one, but I need to order enough books to build it, if you don't get any other hits, I'll try and have one built tomorrow you can come by and grab.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I'm still sitting at 1 star, but only recently begun selling plots of land - thanks to the cash injection from Turnips this week, Mycenae will be expanding in the next few days!

• Options
    I about had a heart attack when this showed up today.

@davidsdurions is that for sale and can we come and get one?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Tuxedo Dresses at Abel’s.

My 6 year-old lost her mind.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

davidsdurions is that for sale and can we come and get one?

It’s from my wife’s island but she isn’t up for allowing others to her island yet, sorry. It will come to your island one day I hope!

• Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    The not yet sunken island of Lemuria looks like it’s hosting a veritable international butterfly convention today; unfortunately for me, CJ is visiting rather than Flick.

Mabel’s options today:

“graduation gown” in black with tie and collar in four color options that look suspiciously like house robes from a certain wizard’s school in England
    tweed jacket
    buttoned wraparound skirt
    ancient belted robe (the tan version of this is not the robe you’re looking for *waves hand in a vague gesture*)
    diner uniform
    elegant hat
    sheep hood
    pacifier, for those who want to relive their glory days at raves in the 90s

Sprocket, just west of the airport, is teaching a pear wardrobe DIY recipe at the moment.

Fashion conscious islanders are welcome to stop by for some shopping while I water my flowers and ponder what my next landscaping choices will be.

Dodo code is: M7969

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Toxic that's a great OP but WHY WONT YOU BE MY FRIEND IN GAME?????

also i have Alice in Wonderland dress, beards, 3d glasses, Skull Radio at Nook's and a bunch of other fun stuff in Able's, plus Sahara.

C O D E is 7N4M1

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

It’s from my wife’s island but she isn’t up for allowing others to her island yet, sorry. It will come to your island one day I hope!

You could mail it to him! I've started doing that more and more. Telling people don't bother coming over, I'll just send it to ya.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Open for a bit while I garden. There are a bunch of costumes and the Ables including jester masks and sprite costumes.

Also, not sure if you can poach campground visitors, but Skye is in town.

ok, the lure of buying more clothes is too strong

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    *stuck at work while everyone's opening up their islands* T_T

(not to mention I checked before I left and it was raining + CJ was there today T_T I could be out there farming coelacanths! T_T)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

You could mail it to him! I've started doing that more and more. Telling people don't bother coming over, I'll just send it to ya.

That’s cool, so if y’all want to be my friend but aren’t yet, my code is SW-6892-8287-8880

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Top Hats!
    Moustaches!
    Dress Shirts!
    Firefighter costumes!
    Wrestling headgear!
    Floral tights!

RAIN
    711YN

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

I thought you could only mail it to people you've visited in game?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Candle Cove’s gates are also open. Some very fancy selections in Able today, and also a paper bag hood.

I will be over on the coast...

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

Nintendo online strikes again!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Or people who have been to your island. Friending is the first step of that though, then one or the other can visit (and in that case probably just drop the item off).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Also the mail is practically instant, which is nice.

• Options
    Toxic that's a great OP but WHY WONT YOU BE MY FRIEND IN GAME?????

also i have Alice in Wonderland dress, beards, 3d glasses, Skull Radio at Nook's and a bunch of other fun stuff in Able's, plus Sahara.

C O D E is 7N4M1

You're on my friends list but I don't put anybody on the best friend list.

• Options
    Closing my gates to go visit all the open towns. If anyone needs to sell turnips at 341, contact me before 6pm EST.

VillagerDB Wish List