As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voters Rights and the Suppression Thereof

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Yeah this is starting to trend. It's all over.

You would think having a paper ballot backup would just be common fucking sense.

Then I remembered. Georgia. Kemp. Republicans.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Yeah this is starting to trend. It's all over.

You would think having a paper ballot backup would just be common fucking sense.

Then I remembered. Georgia. Kemp. Republicans.

Yeah, this not working is kind of the expected outcome.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Well that doesn't smell like election shenanigans at all.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So then the question becomes what can we do about this?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

People got a taste of rioting last week.

Alternatively, accept fascist rule?

Any kind of solution requires Republicans to want a fair process. If they don't, they don't have to play fair, and can cheat nakedly in the open. To rephrase your question, "Whadya gonna do about it, huh? Tough guy?"

• Options

Convince enough moderates/apathetics that voting matters, and win against a rigged deck.

Or hope that something gets done federally (through legislation or judicial ruling).

It's a real shitty situation.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    As of about a half hour ago, apparently a number of locations in two counties are entirely offline. SoS is blaming the counties and seems to be taking a, "This is awful and terrible and it's too bad we can't fix it before the polls close but our hands are tied," position. Mayor is urging people to stay in line.

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-news/person-hit-car-near-gwinnett-voting-location/lVg6XbL6ehoezhMMLjxrnL/

Then this happened at one of them. Supposedly the driver had a medical emergency, jumped the curb, drove through a line waiting to vote, then drove on home, pursued by a witness. Even if the story is true, I think people are going to get a little edgy about cars driving into crowds right now.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Convince enough moderates/apathetics that voting matters, and win against a rigged deck.

Or hope that something gets done federally (through legislation or judicial ruling).

I feel like this is the only way we're going to get through this. Despite the constant attempts at shenanigans, we simply have to win elections if this shit is ever going to change. So despite the fuckery, people are going to have to nut up and jump through the hoops and make their voices heard. It's either that or eventual revolution and I'm too old for that shit.

I'm at the point where I believe voting is worth risking getting COVID. Especially in November

Anybody from stronghold blue states willing to move to a red state to help us tip the scales??

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Any kind of solution requires Republicans to want a fair process. If they don't, they don't have to play fair, and can cheat nakedly in the open. To rephrase your question, "Whadya gonna do about it, huh? Tough guy?"

Alternate solution: if you're in line when the polls close they have to let you vote

Bring the protest and food and medical support to the voting spots.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Alternate solution: if you're in line when the polls close they have to let you vote

as long as it is just the food and medical support. If someone protested at a voting site, I could see republicans using that as a flimsy excuse to shut it down. No matter how peaceful the protest might be

VoodooV on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they criminalized waiting in line after the polls closed

By the time you have any recourse the election's over

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    How many voters want to stand in a Soviet bread line to vote? I can do it in 5 minutes in and out. If you start having to take a day off work to vote it starts getting tempting to listen to the "fuck all politicians, they are all the same" crowd.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I can tell you that an hour with friends or family and a smart phone is not fun. Four to six is unimaginable.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

This is the way it works in VA.

However, no political activity (other than voting) is allowed within a certain radius of the polling places, so keep that in mind.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »

I feel like this is the only way we're going to get through this. Despite the constant attempts at shenanigans, we simply have to win elections if this shit is ever going to change. So despite the fuckery, people are going to have to nut up and jump through the hoops and make their voices heard. It's either that or eventual revolution and I'm too old for that shit.

I'm at the point where I believe voting is worth risking getting COVID. Especially in November

Anybody from stronghold blue states willing to move to a red state to help us tip the scales??

How about a vote in a blue district of a red state moving to a red district of a blue state?

I might be moving to Devin Nunes’s district soon...

• Options
    20 different counties in Georgia had their voting hours extended today. Secretary of State is like "eh, it's their fault."

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    20 different counties in Georgia had their voting hours extended today. Secretary of State is like "eh, it's their fault."

Can you clarify if "their" refers to the voters or the people managing the polling places?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »

Can you clarify if "their" refers to the voters or the people managing the polling places?

The counties' fault.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The solution is of course to have voting machines made by sponsors. Voting brought to you by Pepsi. The free market does everything better than government!

Also it’s the age of trump, so a leader who’s responsibility it is to fix this saying “fuck it not my problem” is very on brand

• Options
    What he actually means is MWAHAHAHAHA

• Options
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I've said it before. We really should ban voting machine, ideally as a constitutional amendment. Fucking things are a constant source of problems and then there is the whole issue of them not being properly secured and some not even leaving paper trails. In Chesapeake, we have paper ballots that are fed into a scanner. All you have to do is fill in the bubble you want with a pen, you don't even need a number 2 pencil. It works pretty damn well. No having the line held up because one of the fucking machines broke. Also they can get a decent number of people through because the precincts aren't limited by the number of functioning voting machines. No bullshit about having to worry about the touch screen being fucked or the machine jacked up and improperly recording your vote for the wrong person. No bullshit about having to wonder if the machine is properly secured because we don't fucking use them. Also no bullshit about having to worry if there is a paper trail because those paper ballots are kept after they are scanned.

Actually with my experience as a voter. Voting in Chesapeake with their scantron setup has been far faster than it every took me to get my vote in when I lived in Spotsylvania, that had the shitty touch screen voting machines. Mind you, this only during times when there is a line. I'm pretty sure every fucking year I went it to vote at the precinct, there was always a voting machine that malfunctioned and keep in mind that Spotsylvania is still pretty red sadly and this was in a section that was reliable red. So it was a case of the fascists trying to rig the election, it was a case of voting machine always being shit not worth investing in.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I remember when I first moved to Virginia, we had those shitty touch screen voting machines whose only record was whatever it decided to record. You could tell just by looking at them that they were supremely low quality and when you used them you often had to touch the screen multiple times to have it register an input (and not always the correct input). They were such garbage that I went to my local representatives office and hand delivered a letter of complaint, and got a notarized receipt. I know many other people did the same thing across the state. I doubt this act had any real influence on the switch to the scantron style machines, but it at least made me feel slightly better putting forth that little bit of effort to try and make my view known.

The scantron style machines are great, though. Everybody knows how to fill out those forms already from the numerous similar forms filled out for tests in school, and there is a physical record that can be used to check the results the machine generates.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I don't know if it's across state, but a bunch of counties got rid of those machines a couple cycles ago.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The machines we use are stupidly non-intuitive. You spin a dial to cycle through options and hit a button to confirm. I have to relearn how to use them every time I go vote.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    There really is no reason to not just have something like the scan tron version as the nation standard for voting machines. Easy to use easy to verify very tested technology.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Remember the 2004 election where s bunch of electronic voting machines were made by Dick Chaney's company?

• Options
    kaid wrote: »
    There really is no reason to not just have something like the scan tron version as the nation standard for voting machines. Easy to use easy to verify very tested technology.

Yup. The only reason not to, is the same reason no beneficial, only restrictive changes are made to polling stations.

Because the easier and more open a polling station is, the more people people will vote.

And that is anathema to Republican policy. Because they'd rather have fewer people vote (preferably of a certain demographic), than consider moderating their platform to appeal to more people.

• Options
    Remember the 2004 election where s bunch of electronic voting machines were made by Dick Chaney's company?

I don’t think it was company- I think it was Diebold, who’s CEO or some other executive promised (as a fundraiser/booster) to deliver the election to GW and Cheney

Diebold makes more than voting machines (cash registers, order kiosks, ATMs, etc) and the dudes I’ve interacted with trying to sell me new ATMs told me they hate having to answer for the shit their voting machine division pulls (I specifically told them I don’t have a lot of confidence in their brand to secure our ATMs because their voting machines are compromised AF)

We never make it to a 2nd meeting

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I don’t think it was company- I think it was Diebold, who’s CEO or some other executive promised (as a fundraiser/booster) to deliver the election to GW and Cheney

Diebold makes more than voting machines (cash registers, order kiosks, ATMs, etc) and the dudes I’ve interacted with trying to sell me new ATMs told me they hate having to answer for the shit their voting machine division pulls (I specifically told them I don’t have a lot of confidence in their brand to secure our ATMs because their voting machines are compromised AF)

It appears you are correct. Not sure what orifice I pulled that fact out of.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Never touched their ATMs but very rarely at my old work I'd end up dealing with Diebold point of sale systems, and they were garbage. I encountered physical and electronic vulnerabilities in every one I touched (I'm not even a security guru who cracks systems at first sit down, these are fundamental red flags that shouldn't get past production), including one that let cashiers modify their own floats, basically the cashier who discovered that was able to steal their float every shift without triggering any red flags until they were physically caught in the act.

Cash registers are more designed to guard against employee theft than outside theft, so giving the employee the ability to change the expected amount in the till is exceptionally bad.

Hevach on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I was looking into the manufacturer of Georgia’s voting machines, and it’s complicated. Kemp wanted to go with a different company (Election Systems, I think) that had been providing Georgia’s machines/maintaining them for some time. Instead they wound up with a second company (Dominion Voting) that sprung up following the 2000 election disaster and had... minimal press until the contract with Georgia. Some of the programming is done in Mongolia, but they’re involved in elections in a lot of places (Canada and the Philippines are cited in the few articles I found). I say that not because it’s inherently suspicious, but because tracing any nefariousness got pretty wide in scope fairly quickly.

However, both companies had lobbyists who worked for Kemp’s campaigns, because that man will leave no side of the corruption toast un-buttered.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

The counties' fault.

Just checking, it's hard to be sure with these people.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Dominion Voting?
    Gosh, that's not at all an ominous name.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    lol?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/politics/trump-campaign-cnn-poll/index.html
    President Donald Trump's campaign is demanding CNN retract and apologize for a recent poll that showed him well behind presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.
    The demand, coming in the form of a cease and desist letter to CNN President Jeff Zucker that contained numerous incorrect and misleading claims, was immediately rejected by the network.
    "We stand by our poll," said Matt Dornic, a CNN spokesman.

The CNN poll conducted by SSRS and released on Monday shows Trump trailing the former vice president by 14 points, 55%-41%, among registered voters. It also finds the President's approval rating at 38% -- his worst mark since January 2019, and roughly on par with approval ratings for one-term Presidents Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush at this point in their reelection years -- and his disapproval rating at 57%.

In the letter to Zucker, the Trump campaign argued that the CNN poll is "designed to mislead American voters through a biased questionnaire and skewed sampling."
    "It's a stunt and a phony poll to cause voter suppression, stifle momentum and enthusiasm for the President, and present a false view generally of the actual support across America for the President," read the letter, signed by the Trump campaign's senior legal adviser Jenna Ellis and chief operating officer Michael Glassner.

The campaign formally requested that CNN retract the poll and publish a "full, fair, and conspicuous retraction, apology, and clarification to correct its misleading conclusions."
    David Vigilante, CNN's executive vice president and general counsel, told the campaign that its "allegations and demands are rejected in their entirety."

"To my knowledge, this is the first time in its 40-year history that CNN had been threatened with legal action because an American politician or campaign did not like CNN's polling results," Vigilante wrote in his response. "To the extent we have received legal threats from political leaders in the past, they have typically come from countries like Venezuela or other regimes where there is little or no respect for a free and independent media."

After CNN released the poll earlier this week, Trump tweeted that he had hired Republican pollster McLaughlin & Associates to "analyze" the survey and others "which I felt were FAKE based on the incredible enthusiasm we are receiving." McLaughlin ranks as one of the least accurate pollsters in the industry, as measured by FiveThirtyEight.

But several other polls released over the past few weeks -- including polls by ABC News/Washington Post, Monmouth University, NPR/PBS Newshour/Marist College, NBC News/Wall Street Journal, Quinnipiac University and Fox News -- also show Biden well ahead of Trump. These polls, averaged with the CNN poll, find Biden up by double digits, a result well outside any margin of error.

Subtlety is not only dead but they're beating on its corpse.

• Options
    Regarding the Georgia Primaries.

"Last voter walked out at 12:37am! Technically it’s Wednesday. But the voting advocates groups refused to leave. They called the police on us but we told them we were not leaving until everyone voted. Why? Because @BlackVotersMtr"
    *pictures from the voting precinct*
    - LaTosha Brown is a voting rights advocate, and Georgian.

Polls were due to close at 7pm. Almost 6 hours later, there were still people casting ballots.

Yeah, fuck that shit. A half hour wait to vote is unacceptable.

And this is only going to get worse in November.

• Options
    Yeah sorry you guys in America you don’t really have a democracy

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Donnicton wrote: »
    lol?

President Donald Trump's campaign is demanding CNN retract and apologize for a recent poll that showed him well behind presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.
    The demand, coming in the form of a cease and desist letter to CNN President Jeff Zucker that contained numerous incorrect and misleading claims, was immediately rejected by the network.

The CNN poll conducted by SSRS and released on Monday shows Trump trailing the former vice president by 14 points, 55%-41%, among registered voters. It also finds the President's approval rating at 38% -- his worst mark since January 2019, and roughly on par with approval ratings for one-term Presidents Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush at this point in their reelection years -- and his disapproval rating at 57%.

In the letter to Zucker, the Trump campaign argued that the CNN poll is "designed to mislead American voters through a biased questionnaire and skewed sampling."
    "It's a stunt and a phony poll to cause voter suppression, stifle momentum and enthusiasm for the President, and present a false view generally of the actual support across America for the President," read the letter, signed by the Trump campaign's senior legal adviser Jenna Ellis and chief operating officer Michael Glassner.

The campaign formally requested that CNN retract the poll and publish a "full, fair, and conspicuous retraction, apology, and clarification to correct its misleading conclusions."
    David Vigilante, CNN's executive vice president and general counsel, told the campaign that its "allegations and demands are rejected in their entirety."

"To my knowledge, this is the first time in its 40-year history that CNN had been threatened with legal action because an American politician or campaign did not like CNN's polling results," Vigilante wrote in his response. "To the extent we have received legal threats from political leaders in the past, they have typically come from countries like Venezuela or other regimes where there is little or no respect for a free and independent media."

After CNN released the poll earlier this week, Trump tweeted that he had hired Republican pollster McLaughlin & Associates to "analyze" the survey and others "which I felt were FAKE based on the incredible enthusiasm we are receiving." McLaughlin ranks as one of the least accurate pollsters in the industry, as measured by FiveThirtyEight.

But several other polls released over the past few weeks -- including polls by ABC News/Washington Post, Monmouth University, NPR/PBS Newshour/Marist College, NBC News/Wall Street Journal, Quinnipiac University and Fox News -- also show Biden well ahead of Trump. These polls, averaged with the CNN poll, find Biden up by double digits, a result well outside any margin of error.

"I'M NOT OWNED!" shrieks Bunker Corncob.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    lol?

The last guy who did the “threaten pollsters for polls Trump doesn’t like” thing is in prison

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Regarding the Georgia Primaries.

"Last voter walked out at 12:37am! Technically it’s Wednesday. But the voting advocates groups refused to leave. They called the police on us but we told them we were not leaving until everyone voted. Why? Because @BlackVotersMtr"
    *pictures from the voting precinct*
    - LaTosha Brown is a voting rights advocate, and Georgian.

Polls were due to close at 7pm. Almost 6 hours later, there were still people casting ballots.

Yeah, fuck that shit. A half hour wait to vote is unacceptable.

And this is only going to get worse in November.

There is not a functioning democracy in Georgia

This discussion has been closed.