As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Poll [Chat]

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    ronya wrote: »
    hmm

in retrospect it seems obvious: by 1964 rock and roll is a decade old and a comedy piece by a guitarist for guitarists makes sense

including a "gee we're all getting old aren't we" joke

post WWII, guitarist-led bands were a big deal in pop culture even before rock; blues bands for black folks, bluegrass and country for working-class whites, and folk for white academics or the northeastern working class

i think by the late 50s the only people who weren't listening to some form of guitar music as part of their diet were suburban white people listening to perry como or soothing pop-classical stuff, or members of unassimilated ethnic enclaves, like polish catholics listening to polka at the knights of columbus clubhouse or whatever

EDIT: i'm sure there is all sorts of sociology about this subject and it probably turns out that guitar music hit it big after the war because a cheap guitar was one of the few instruments you could plausibly carry around and have on base in wartime unlike a piano or a delicate brass instrument

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    I canceled my service with Comcast via their form a few months ago. They said they'd call me, but.. didn't? Just got a bill for months of service. I don't have the energy to call them, so hopefully the message I sent works.

I'm not in the country any more anyway, so they're kind of not in a position of power here.

unless you plan on never, ever returning again, you probably want to put out the effort to solve or they'll shit on your credit report.

Seems unlikely shiv wants to do this and querry taxes at the moment. Perhaps there are compromise options involving querry handling something or postponing it or paying something but not paying in perpetuity.

My sister just dealt with a problem with vendors in a long term contract that looked like it might have to go to arbitration but once we started attaching photos and referencing the contract the company about-faced and said they would look into things?

It was surprising but nice.

I think I actually finished the taxes up. Sent them all in, anyway.

But my present job is to make sure Querry doesn't die of a pulmonary embolism in the next few days (or months), so this is very uh, low priority.

Oh no ❤️ 👊

She's sitting right next to me and doing ok, to be clear. But she has a big DVT and spent most of last night in the emergency room, and we're going back in for an ultrasound and followup in a few hours (and more blood thinners and maybe morphine). Her uncle flew to Qatar once, went to his hotel room, went to sleep, and died, so there's a family history there that I was not really aware of. So, we managed to get to the ER before it threw to the lungs, so I'm probably not going to be widowed in my early 30s. So, you know, that's cool, at least.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    There is no actual difference between 720, 1080, and 4K TV. Big TV has been lying to us for years

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I canceled my service with Comcast via their form a few months ago. They said they'd call me, but.. didn't? Just got a bill for months of service. I don't have the energy to call them, so hopefully the message I sent works.

I'm not in the country any more anyway, so they're kind of not in a position of power here.

unless you plan on never, ever returning again, you probably want to put out the effort to solve or they'll shit on your credit report.

Seems unlikely shiv wants to do this and querry taxes at the moment. Perhaps there are compromise options involving querry handling something or postponing it or paying something but not paying in perpetuity.

My sister just dealt with a problem with vendors in a long term contract that looked like it might have to go to arbitration but once we started attaching photos and referencing the contract the company about-faced and said they would look into things?

But my present job is to make sure Querry doesn't die of a pulmonary embolism in the next few days (or months), so this is very uh, low priority.

Oh no ❤️ 👊

She's sitting right next to me and doing ok, to be clear. But she has a big DVT and spent most of last night in the emergency room, and we're going back in for an ultrasound and followup in a few hours (and more blood thinners and maybe morphine). Her uncle flew to Qatar once, went to his hotel room, went to sleep, and died, so there's a family history there that I was not really aware of. So, we managed to get to the ER before it threw to the lungs, so I'm probably not going to be widowed in my early 30s. So, you know, that's cool, at least.

i guess I'm glad you know about it since that's better than being taken by surprise but jesus

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I know, I know "That's the point" but i really don't like Warhammer 40k due to how it kind of glorifies the things that are bad about the setting.

I would say it doesn't even glorify them. There aren't really good people in the universe. And everyone is more tongue and cheek "good" and "glorified" like how Judge Dredd glorifies Dredd.

It's pretty British about how it does it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    wandering wrote: »
    There is no actual difference between 720, 1080, and 4K TV. Big TV has been lying to us for years

I like that jacobkosh is the lone agree on this post

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I know, I know "That's the point" but i really don't like Warhammer 40k due to how it kind of glorifies the things that are bad about the setting.

I would say it doesn't even glorify them. There aren't really good people in the universe. And everyone is more tongue and cheek "good" and "glorified" like how Judge Dredd glorifies Dredd.

Yeah, that's what i mean.

I don't like that kind of stuff.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2020

Da Emprah himself was clear that he viewed religion as divisive and wanted none of it, and yet here we are having him as a glorified diety on his golden throne and everyone hollering about how their faith in him empowers them.

Echo on
  • Options

Yeah, that's what i mean.

I don't like that kind of stuff.

It's cool. Not everything is for everybody.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    i'm actually kind of interested in the new Warhammer edition because the last few years have seen some advances in the overarching metaplot (the first in like 20 years) that sounded super cool and I am eager to see if the new edition doubles down on those or walks them back because of chud outrage

it would also be nice if it incorporated some game design principles from after 1995 now but I'm not hoping for miracles

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    i'm actually kind of interested in the new Warhammer edition because the last few years have seen some advances in the overarching metaplot (the first in like 20 years) that sounded super cool and I am eager to see if the new edition doubles down on those or walks them back because of chud outrage

it would also be nice if it incorporated some game design principles from after 1995 now but I'm not hoping for miracles

They have not only kept moving it forward through all of 8th but continue to bring back the end times folks. And announced even more story movement forward.

Actually the game was redesigned from the ground up in 8th by a new team. Cut a lot of old chaff. And it is well designed though 8th had gaps. And they even have play testers and a new app coming too. Also have been doing major updates and fixes every 6 months for the last two years.

It isn't the same GW. Its been very interesting.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I hope the new edition is roll to move

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    people on twitter are all like: "I can't wait to get rolled ice cream when San Francisco opens back up tomorrow!"

really that's what you're gonna spend your risk budget on? the worst form of ice cream that's still technically ice cream? that's what you've been dying for all quarantine? a $17 cup of ice cream containing 1.5oz of product that tastes worse than a scoop of Häagen-Dazs

• Options
    wandering wrote: »

I like that jacobkosh is the lone agree on this post

IT'S ALL THE SAME

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Oh no ❤️ 👊

i guess I'm glad you know about it since that's better than being taken by surprise but jesus

Yeah, apparently a pretty big percentage of DVTs are asymptomatic. I saw a fact sheet yesterday that said something like "the first symptom is death in 25% of DVT cases" (what.. what's the second symptom in those cases? That's what's really concerning me). So her having severe pain and swelling and us getting in before a heart attack or whatever is actually secretly very good, when an alternative is "oh, she dies some time."

But if our measurement scale is at the point where severe pain and possibly fatal clots is good because it means at least you're aware, then... well, not a great point for the scale to be at.

Since she was sent home, and we're going back later, I feel a little better. DVTs are serious, and apparently the treatment is basically "blood thinners until they go away in a few weeks or months," but the fact that we showed up with it and were sent home that night makes me feel less like she's going to just randomly die. She doesn't need to be in the hospital RIGHT NOW, and that's good.

Especially good because I'm not allowed to visit her during the hospital. They aren't allowing visitors now, for... reasons. So I had to drop her off in a room with a bunch of very hurt or ill people and come home. Not ideal!

• Options
    edited May 2020
    rolled ice cream offends me as a value-conscious-consumer, as a foodie, as a fat man, and as an american.

not since suicide squad has there been a less anticipated team up. this ensemble cast of small portion size, high price, and inferior quality

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    :bro: shivahn

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Also, random fun fact: when we got our drivers' licenses last week (and completed our enrollment in the British Columbia health insurance plan :rotate:), they fucked up the units, so Querry is listed as 135 kilograms, which is like 300 pounds, at like 5'4". That information was in some system at one of the medical places, so they were very confused and thought they had the wrong patient, since she is, in fact, cylindrical instead of spherical.

Shivahn on
  • Options

They have not only kept moving it forward through all of 8th but continue to bring back the end times folks. And announced even more story movement forward.

Actually the game was redesigned from the ground up in 8th by a new team. Cut a lot of old chaff. And it is well designed though 8th had gaps. And they even have play testers and a new app coming too. Also have been doing major updates and fixes every 6 months for the last two years.

this is really heartening news

@desc was telling me all about Roboute Guilliman coming back a couple of years ago and I am super duper into that

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I skipped the past 350+ posts as I just woke up. I see we’re talking about ice cream. Not a big fan. I rarely if ever buy it. I much prefer sorbet or Italian ice.

Yeah, you heard me. I don’t like ice cream.

Don’t @ me.

• Options

Oh no ❤️ 👊

Yeah, apparently a pretty big percentage of DVTs are asymptomatic. I saw a fact sheet yesterday that said something like "the first symptom is death in 25% of DVT cases" (what.. what's the second symptom in those cases? That's what's really concerning me). So her having severe pain and swelling and us getting in before a heart attack or whatever is actually secretly very good, when an alternative is "oh, she dies some time."

But if our measurement scale is at the point where severe pain and possibly fatal clots is good because it means at least you're aware, then... well, not a great point for the scale to be at.

Since she was sent home, and we're going back later, I feel a little better. DVTs are serious, and apparently the treatment is basically "blood thinners until they go away in a few weeks or months," but the fact that we showed up with it and were sent home that night makes me feel less like she's going to just randomly die. She doesn't need to be in the hospital RIGHT NOW, and that's good.

Especially good because I'm not allowed to visit her during the hospital. They aren't allowing visitors now, for... reasons. So I had to drop her off in a room with a bunch of very hurt or ill people and come home. Not ideal!

:bro:

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    :bro: shivahn

Thank you <3

I will be ok! I'm not as worried she's going to suddenly die, so that's good. She still obviously could, and that's stressful, but it's much better than yesterday, when I knew she had a clot, but did not know how serious it likely was, only knowing it could be fatal, and had to leave her at the hospital.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I hope the new edition is roll to move

wash your mouth out with soap

• Options
    Also, random fun fact: when we got our drivers' licenses last week (and completed our enrollment in the British Columbia health insurance plan :rotate:), they fucked up the units, so Querry is listed as 135 kilograms, which is like 300 pounds, at like 5'4". That information was in some system at one of the medical places, so they were very confused and thought they had the wrong patient, since she is, in fact, cylindrical instead of spherical.

at least they caught the error before she crashed into the surface of mars

• Options
    I've had such shit luck this last year

Cat randomly died (at, like, 5!), grandma randomly died, grandpa probably will soon - he's having rapid decline from Alzheimer's. Wife should not be added, she's not even 30 >: (

• Options

this is really heartening news

desc was telling me all about Roboute Guilliman coming back a couple of years ago and I am super duper into that

Since then:

-Mortarion has come back and did a bunch of shit to the Ultramar sector
    -Fabius Bile has a story line we don't know what's happening because the book got pushed back by COVID
    -The Silent King aka the dude who made the Necrons and broke the C'Tan is back
    -Abbadon stabbed the out of Calgar though they played plot armor and Calgar is still alive somehow
    -Due to Cadia going boom there is a rash of psykers appearing in the Imperium. Magnus was doing something to them on the planet of the Sorcerors
    -Ghaz is basically super ork sized.

They say more movement is coming and they are releasing even more stories as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Oh now warhammer? Age of Sigmar sucks. Reboot pre-End Times warhammer

• Options
    edited May 2020
    rolled ice cream offends me as a value-conscious-consumer, as a foodie, as a fat man, and as an american.

not since suicide squad has there been a less anticipated team up. this ensemble cast of small portion size, high price, and inferior quality

me and skippy and ppups got it in philly, the one time i've tried it, and maybe it was just that place but I liked it okay

crucially, though, it was not $17. it was like $5.50 and came in a reasonable (to me) portion size so I was satisfied.

if it had been ten dollars or some nonsense I would not have been best pleased. at that point why am I not just going to an all-nite diner and ordering a milkshake that comes with a refill in a steel tin

Jacobkosh on
  • Options

at least they caught the error before she crashed into the surface of mars

I love how the Wikipedia page describes it as "unintentionally deorbited."

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    Oh now warhammer? Age of Sigmar sucks. Reboot pre-End Times warhammer

AoS has shit lore. Fantastic gameplay. Its really interesting and the factions all feel unique.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Last night Querry asked me a question (about clots), and I said "I'm not a doctor, bu-" and she said "yes you are, don't give me that shit." A+ wife.

• Options
    Like this model is right banging. I want it also I am afraid to paint it.

xfm7hr4mlnjy.png

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Went to the store today.
    Starbucks has a new product available.
    Coffee, from plants...
    What was starbucks coffee made from before?

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Went to the store today.
    Starbucks has a new product available.
    Coffee, from plants...
    What was starbucks coffee made from before?

The souls of small coffee shop owners

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    rolled ice cream is great!

it's fun to eat and fun to watch people make! it's like a better coldstone because you get fresh stuff mixed in, but the base is less heavy!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options

me and skippy and ppups got it in philly, the one time i've tried it, and maybe it was just that place but I liked it okay

crucially, though, it was not $17. it was like $5.50 and came in a reasonable (to me) portion size so I was satisfied.

if it had been ten dollars or some nonsense I would not have been best pleased

Yeah the novelty factor means the pricing can be crazy. $5 actually seems kind of high to me still though!

My primary issue with it is that it isn't churned, it's flash frozen on a little slab, so the recipe has to be higher sugar and it still ends up coming out a little icy instead of creamy. Those rolls are like 50% air too. So in pursuit of cute little rolls your sacrifice what's most important!

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Rolled ice cream is stupid.
    I skipped the past 350+ posts as I just woke up. I see we’re talking about ice cream. Not a big fan. I rarely if ever buy it. I much prefer sorbet or Italian ice.

Don’t @ me.

Nah bruh, you getting @‘d @Zavian

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I was just thinking I'd like to get some miniatures to paint that I might also use to play some kind of game with.

I was going to start with a Cryx starter box for Warmachine, but maybe I should consider WH40k instead?

I really liked painting the big plates on the warjacks when I did some painting on my Warmachine models back in the day. I guess the best analogue for that is space marine armor, but I don't find space marines compelling at all.

Hmm...

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Mim wrote: »
    Rolled ice cream is stupid.

Don’t @ me.

Nah bruh, you getting @‘d @Zavian

d6qc3iv8s705.jpeg

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    The last time I had rolled ice cream was also the last time I boned

Many moons ago

poo
This discussion has been closed.