Options

[Apex Legends]: Prepare for Upheaval!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Got 2 wins yesterday, including an awesome rocking and rolling one that was mostly gunfighting interspersed with quick breathers. Had 1k+ damage and 4 kills, others were similar (bang/fuse/octane). Best moment was rolling up on one of the last teams snipers sideways while they were scoped in and wiping them and the team in about 10 seconds.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Magell wrote: »
    So I stopped playing for a bit and I'm back in on this season. What's the club name for Xbox?

The club name is Pax Arcadia and all are welcome, not just Xbox. I haven't worked up the courage to invite any PS people to a party but I enjoy this game 100% more with a team so one day I will!

Peen on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Are clubs still locked to specific regions/servers?

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I just assumed the club would have wang in the name, I forgot the more appropriate name we use for stuff.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I have enough crafting materials to make a legendary skin, but I think I'll hold off. There's a couple of holos for Loba and Rampart that seem to show new legendary skins for them, it might be nothing but I'm hoping they'll get added in a future event or something. They'll probably be like 2400 crafting materials in that case then, but well I'll save up just in case.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular

I can't find Pax Arcadia so I would assume so, I'm in Europe.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    3 wins so far this season and a couple other decent matches. I'm pretty meh on Fuse, ran him for a couple games. His ult is pretty useless anywhere there's cover, and there's lots of cover/doorways/hollow cargo containers that will allow passage through without trapping a team. The grenade launcher passive is a double edged sword, great for arc stars but awful for frags. They just bounce too far.

Reintroduction of the Anvil receiver alongside the 30-30 is definitely shifting this to a sniper/mid range meta. I don't particularly love the repeater, haven't quite gotten the fire rate and bullet drop figured out yet, but it's pretty oppressive when an entire team is running it and you have to cross an open area. Reminds me of the season 2 longbow meta.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Frankly I'm not sure I like the anvil repeater so much still, it feels like its slower and does less damage than the 30-30 or other semi-auto weapons.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Richard wrote: »

Mm, that's what I thought. We'll have to make an EU spin off club I guess.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

Have you tried (if possible) to switch your server to New York before searching?

As I recall, that's the only way to find it due to @Peen's origin.

• Options
    Frankly I'm not sure I like the anvil repeater so much still, it feels like its slower and does less damage than the 30-30 or other semi-auto weapons.

Anvil Flatline slaps, I was reminded last night. I also remember the Anvil 301 being very good but I haven't tried it again yet.

I had a rough reintroduction to the game, including a ranked match with two teammates who were AFK so I quit when I died and they just stood there and I got a ten minute lockout for quitting a ranked match, which I didn't realize extended to all of the game modes (harsh but I guess fair). I finally got a few good matches in towards the end of the night and when this game feels good it feels really good, I'd forgotten a little.

And yeah if you switch to an Eastern US data center, especially Northern Virginia, you're more likely to find my club. Starting your own EU one probably makes sense anyway because of time zone differences and stuff.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Apparently the anniversary collection event was live for a few short minutes when the season launched, and people were able to grab screenshots and info.

Apex Wiki
    gfinity

The usual 12 Legendary/12 Epic split, with 12 Legendary Legend skins, 6 Epic skins, and 6 epic weapon skins.

Usual pricing structure (700 coins for an event pack, or buy specific skins for coins or crafting materials).

Unlike many CE's that grant a particular Heirloom if you get all 24, this one will instead give 150 heirloom shards to pick whichever you want with. There are 2 bundles that will save a few coins compared to just buying them outright, if one wants one of those few particular skins and some packs, or are thinking of trying to get them all.

There's also an event track, and getting 5000 points in it will provide a bunch of apex packs, as well as 2 event packs, a tracker (I'm seeing them for both Bangalore and Wraith, but the pic I've seen only shows one).

The event will run from Feb 9th to 23rd (allegedly, though assuming they want to keep it close to the actual anniversary, I doubt that'll get pushed back any further).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjIMSRMtVfw

I'm holding off for Loba's heirloom (which I assume will be a long ways off), but getting a pile of skins and having the shards on hand is tempting. I've got enough crafting materials to make 7 of the epics, plus 2 from the event track would mean needing to buy 15 packs (the two bundles essentially equal 12 packs (1 skin plus 7 and 1 skin plus 3), so those plus 3 more) if I wanted to pull that off. A responsible use of disposable income? Ehhhhhh.

But it's something to weigh out over the next few weeks.

Edit: okay, I just watched the trailer, and that's one of my favourites so far, purely for the banter.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    That Gibraltar skin is preeeeeeeety good, and I don't even play Gibby much.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Red Loba is kyptonite....

I should probably play this game again, but the way they keep overlapping their seasons with Destiny really makes it hard to balance time effectively. C'mon Apex, cut me some slack here with your LTMs.

(Loba's heirloom is so far off that I hope the game still exists by then)

• Options
    edited February 2021
    (Loba's heirloom is so far off that I hope the game still exists by then)

I mean, at a rate of 1 per season, and aside from Octane popping in somewhat out of order, I'd expect Bangalore to get the next one (as I believe one of the last original Legends without one to their name), and then if it's vaguely release order that's what, Wattson, Crypto, Revenant, Loba? So 5 more Heirlooms, or maybe a year away? (edit: granted, could be more if they decide that Rampart etc need one more or have better ideas, but on that same note she could show up earlier in the list for the same reason, so averaged out I'm managing expectations around roughly release order'ish)

Given that the Apex team has explicitly said they plan to give us more ways to play Apex that isn't necessarily a Battle Royale, I could see it getting to its 3rd anniversary, which seems like fairly good odds of her heirloom being released.

Whether or not I'm still playing it in a year might be a bigger question, but they seem to be making enough money and have enough of a community to get at least that far, barring something particularly egregious happening (I dunno, EA decides that it costs 10 apex coins to join a game or something equally idiotic).

Plus, who knows, maybe in a year the Loba heirloom or 3rd Anniversary event will have even better skins to snag instead.

Definitely something to mull over all the same.

Forar on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I would assume wattson or bangalore is next for an heirloom. Bang because she’s the only OG who doesn’t have one now, Wattson because she sees a lot of pro-level play.

After that, wouldn’t be surprised to see horizon jump the list purely due to popularity.

Also pretty bummed that they are bringing back so many iron crown skins as recolors, but not the incredible Judge Jury Executioner skin for lifeline.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    As a follow up thought; getting heirloom shards instead of a specific heirloom does open up an opportunity in case one decided to change their prioritization. That is a rather unique catch, unless they decide to carry forward with it in future CE's.

Like, wanting to wait for Loba now and estimating a year is fine, but if I later decide I really do just want the Caustic sledgehammer or a new Revenant one or hell the old school Wraith Kunai, having shards instead of a specific one to get has advantages.

Especially since running the numbers in the Apex Heirloom Packs Calculator, I could have another year worth of battle passes (give or take) before crossing over the 500 pack guarantee threshold.

Of course, I also recognize that this starts hitting an uncomfortable question about the nature of lootboxes and how expensive an ostensibly 'free' game can be (I'm fairly sure I've paid full price for at least a pair of triple A releases worth in the last year or so, and buying enough coins to get those shards would not be cheap, even with my saved crafting materials and excess coins), but I thought it was worth bringing up in case anyone was thinking about it.

Given that the event track has a dozen packs on it, which represent 34 chances at more crafting materials (3 for each except the event packs, which seem to have a guaranteed Epic, from the colour of said pack), I'm hoping that I might manage to have enough to craft 8 Epics to bring the packs needed down (so 10 with the event track, leaving 2 epics and 12 legendaries to snag with real cash, or the two event bundles (7500 coins) plus 1400 for the remaining two.

8,900 coins being over $100 Canadian for a bunch of cosmetics, again, being a possible sign I can't be trusted with financial independence. I'm also aware I could save 10% by getting an EA Play membership for the month (which currently has a deal on until March 9th for $1.50 for the first month, but I'm not sure I can get away with that since I'm pretty sure I had it for a month on Origin a few years back), but spending $5 to save $10 and then make sure I cancel in time might be an extra step I skip for simplicity.

Also, usual caveats about having funbux like this is inherently kind of shitty and intended to force us to way overbuy or incentivize a larger purchase.

I long for the days when $5 "Horse Armour" was the big thing to be outraged over.

Oh well, back to contemplating being part of the problem over here...

Edit: wait a sec, I'm seeing reports that they may have cut the crafting cost in half for this event. If true, that'd be a game changer and slash the cost of entry substantially if one has a small stockpile of materials saved up.

Forar on
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm ever leery of buying cosmetics (though even I couldn't resist that sweet mirrored jacket Loba from the previous event) and mostly stick to the season passes, which I recognise is not particularly any different in terms of handing over cash for nothing of value, almost worse if anything cos it gives you a load of busywork to do! But I enjoy the game and don't mind chipping in a little support I guess, and I like having the little challenges to mix things up, even if it does lead to some questionable decision making like clutching to an RE-45 as my primary damage piece until the final end zone of the game...

• Options
    I am stupid, gullible, and have a psychological weakness for cosmetics so I expect to spend a moronic amount of money

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So I'm not really sure where the Scout stands now. They've removed its double tap, though depending on who you ask it shouldn't be used due to lower DPs(?). Regardless, the introduction of the 30-30 completely negates its existence IMO.

Did I mention I really like the 30-30?

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    So I'm not really sure where the Scout stands now. They've removed its double tap, though depending on who you ask it shouldn't be used due to lower DPs(?). Regardless, the introduction of the 30-30 completely negates its existence IMO.

Did I mention I really like the 30-30?

Between the G7, 30-30, and Longbow there is definitely work that needs to be done to better sculpt a space for each. I expect to see the 30-30 get some mid-season adjustments, but really the trio of guns should be refined in tandem.

Currently, I still prefer G7 over 30-30 just because I have a better feel for it, but it sucks how often I find my team getting pinned down by a firing squad of 30-30 users on random cliffs.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    idk, the Scout has larger magazine size for sustained fire situations, faster ROF, and has a barrel stabilizer slot compared to the 30-30 so it still has some things that set it apart

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Counterpoint: last night I played a game where all I could find was the Scout and fired like 40 shots and didn't hit with one of them.

I don't hit with the 30-30 either so clearly they are the same gun and need to get changed so I hit with them.
    Obviously joking, but that Scout story is true :(. Even with hundreds of hours of playtime I can still be garbage at this game.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Bullet drop on the 30 30 is pretty bonkers too from my small amount of testing (thanks EU servers Tuesday night).

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I haven't succesfully shot a person with the 30-30 yet, but I'm good with the scout. Might just need to get back in the feel of playing FPS's again.

• Options
    I'm so bad with the Devotion, haha, I never really use any of the LMGs so naturally my week 1 challenge is to get 5k damage with them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCyRPuHpn0

I don't know how useful this will be as I'm not sure how many EU players we have lurking around here, but I did take the liberty of setting up an EU PA club if anyone's interested, currently named Euro Arcadia (though I'm open to better suggestions), so I guess if anyone wants in on that just send a request, I'm not really sure how it all works.

• Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

Have you tried (if possible) to switch your server to New York before searching?

As I recall, that's the only way to find it due to @Peen's origin.

Worked like a charm, sent a request.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Ooh, I missed that 50% off line! I'm assuming by the discount, it just means normal price for each level of item, more 50% off that, which would be insane. But even regular cost makes everything a lot more interesting to try and snag.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    KaruwenKaruwen Registered User regular
    I'm so bad with the Devotion, haha, I never really use any of the LMGs so naturally my week 1 challenge is to get 5k damage with them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCyRPuHpn0

I don't know how useful this will be as I'm not sure how many EU players we have lurking around here, but I did take the liberty of setting up an EU PA club if anyone's interested, currently named Euro Arcadia (though I'm open to better suggestions), so I guess if anyone wants in on that just send a request, I'm not really sure how it all works.

I applied to the EU club. Didn't play much last season, but been having fun so far in season 8. Still very inconsistent though, sometimes I feel like like I'm doing great, and then the next game I can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Steam, Xbox Live & PSN : Karuwen
  • Options
    I have added you into the club, though so far it's a club of two!

Interesting note but you can steal freely from the explosive holds with Loba's ult, not sure if that's an oversight or not, they are significantly easier to get into than other loot vaults in the game, but it's pretty handy for now at least.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Has anyone experienced a thing where their daily challenges change on them? I came in today and had "play 2 games with Lifeline" and "400 damage with Hemlock." After my first game, they were replaced with "2 knockdowns as Fuse" and "400 damage with R-301." Which is crap because I got like 800 damage with the Hemlock in that first match so I absolutely missed out on those points.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced a thing where their daily challenges change on them? I came in today and had "play 2 games with Lifeline" and "400 damage with Hemlock." After my first game, they were replaced with "2 knockdowns as Fuse" and "400 damage with R-301." Which is crap because I got like 800 damage with the Hemlock in that first match so I absolutely missed out on those points.

I've seen that happen a number of times way back in Season 2 or 3, but never since.

• Options
    I had that happen at least once last season, I assumed I just happened to be playing when the daily challenges cycled over to the next set, but perhaps not.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    At this point, I just want teams with no AFK'ers. Last 4-5 games at least one person has either been AFK from drop or AFK in the middle for no reason.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Man, getting to Plat IV last season felt like one hell of an accomplishment, but came with the realization that ending up in Silver II with a bunch of former Plat players was going to be an uphill climb. For S5, 6, and 7 I was averaging a steadily improving win ratio, and that just fell off a cliff here. I'm working on Ranked in the hopes of getting back to Plat before the split, and then possibly letting said rank tank in part 2 and the start of S9 to get away from them, but it's slow going. I'm on the cusp of Gold III now, but I got like one win out of 50'ish games to start things off, and just got a second win for the season yesterday.

Yeah, yeah, go back to unranked and let the former plat players clear the area a bit, I know, but then I end up in teams with people going afk or disconnecting in the middle of a fight that we end up winning and the allure returns to be somewhere that they'll at least pay something of a price for it (in terms of potential RP loss and possibly the abandon timer).

Also yes, I know, play with friends, avoid randoms entirely. Believe me, I wish I could. 4 of my friends play, but 3 are not on remotely the same schedule, and the other is spotty at best.

Hopefully the anniversary event will bring even more people back into the game, but it might just be a slog I have to go with and recognize that I sort of brought it upon myself.

If nothing else it'll be good to craft those epic items off the hop. I hope/assume the 2 event packs on the tracker will be Legendaries if I do, so there's no point putting it off. If I can snag another 1000 or so crafting materials between the various packs (event, level up, etc) and the battle pass over the next two weeks, I might get away with only needing to buy the 5000 coin bundle to get the heirloom shards (and then promptly sit on them for a year or two).

Forar on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Forar are you on PC? Walrus and I regularly play ranked each season, but it's usually just the two of us. And we're about the same, we make Plat IV most splits (I grinded up to III last split).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    @Forar are you on PC? Walrus and I regularly play ranked each season, but it's usually just the two of us. And we're about the same, we make Plat IV most splits (I grinded up to III last split).

I tend to be on some most nights est. I'd tend to want to fill out a third I can be convinced.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Looks like the anniversary skins are not "half" (meaning "normal") price on crafting materials.

• Options
    Looks like the anniversary skins are not "half" (meaning "normal") price on crafting materials.

They are. They fixed that bug/oversight within about half an hour. I've bought 10 of the epic ones already, cost me 4k crafting materials, as expected.