As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars: 30 years of Lightsabers, Space Ships and not understanding Wookie-talk

Bloods EndBloods End Blade of TyshallePunch dimensionRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
opening_a_long_time_ago.jpg

Memorial Weekend 1977. A movie is released that changes the way people look at movies. A movie about planet destroying space stations, crazy old wizards, and British-to-the-point-of-being-gay droid. And it created one of the biggest franchises in the world and started the tale of one of the most expansive epic sci-fi/fantasy stories out there.

Of course I mean Star Wars. And though pleasent thoughts might be clouded with the disappointments of the Prequels, I'm sure that for the vast majority of us the words Star Wars bring to mind pleasant memories of space battles, and Yoda, and just how badass Darth Vader was.

While the movies are now finished and the Rise and Fall of Anakin Skywalker has been told, there are still two television series in production (Live action, and animated), several comic series, multiple books spanning all eras, and a major game event with Force Unleashed keeping the series going. Of course it could be argued how much people still care about it.

For me, Star Wars has always been my biggest "geek" obsession. I remember my friend first telling me about these movies, and then me making my dad take me to see the SE edition of Empire Strikes Back. As soon as I saw the white wedge of death fill the screen, I fell in love. Soon followed X-Wing, and TIE Fighter games, the hundreds of books and comics, the dressing up for Halloween and all that jazz. I've forgotten more SW lore then anyone should ever know in the first place. I can seem to find it whenever it's playing on tv, and when people talk about it I always seem to be able to tune in. It is my most favoritiest series ever.

To close I leave the opening of the Revenge of the Sith novelization, which has to be the best book ever when compared to the source dramatical it came from. I liked the movie, but the book was near perfect.

This story happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It is already over. Nothing can be done to change it.
It is a story of love and loss, brotherhood and betrayal, courage and sacrifice and the death of dreams. It is the story of the blurred line between our best and our worst.
It is the story of the end of an age.
A strange thing about stories-
Though this all happened so long ago and so far away that words cannot describe the time or the distance, it is also happening right now. Right here.
It is happening as you read these words.
This is how twenty-five millennia come to a close. Corruption and treachery have crushed a thousand years of peace. This is not just the end of a republic, night is falling on civilization itself.
This is the twilight of the Jedi.
The end starts now.

Bloods End on

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wasn't there a 30th anniversary special on TV where they were going to discuss the future of Star Wars?

I didn't catch it, but I was hoping this thread would tell me if I missed anything.

And yes. My girlfriend gets a kick out of asking me to name all the obscure characters from the original trilogy whenever we watch it simply because I still can. Star Wars was my sole obsession for at least 5 years of my childhood (Oh how I never thought Bib Fortuna would help me get lucky).

Taximes on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    definitely the most I got into anything as well. not quite there anymore, but I still love, and still get chills constantly throughout all three OT movies.

and a little bit during the prequels.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KaleidoscopeJonesKaleidoscopeJones Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Taximes wrote: »
    (Oh how I never thought Bib Fortuna would help me get lucky).
    You magnificent bastard.

And on that note, for the anniversary (more for halloween actually) I'm constructing a cheap cardboard boba fett costume. I'll probably spend the rest of my days wearing it... die a lonely and broken, yet fantastically dressed man.

KaleidoscopeJones on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    ...and British-to-the-point-of-being-gay droid.

I laughed.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    N is for Nein Numb. He isn't dumb, just his silly name is!

(I loved the Star Wars Alphabet.)

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    CakeyCakey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    N is for Nein Numb. He isn't dumb, just his silly name is!

(I loved the Star Wars Alphabet.)

B is for bantha.
    A bantha doesn't have a name.
    If you want one, you have to exclaim,
    "Hey, you, over there, the one with the hair!"
    And the bantha will come... if it's tame.
    If I had a bantha, I'd name it Samantha.

The reason I can't remember the name of the new coworker I met yesterday -- this stuff claimed the space in my brain when I was 4 and won't let go.

Cakey on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Star Wars was a movie I grew up on. We had a VHS copy of it from the early 80s (probably) that I would watch as often as Disney films, The Dark Crystal, and the myriad of things my parents would tape off the TV (and poorly edit out the commercials).

During the scene where Luke comes home and finds his family's still-smoking corpses, my mother would always take me out of the room. I didn't know why. It just got so I was used to doing it. One night I had a babysitter who obviously didn't see the need to take me out of the room. I didn't quite know what I was looking at, but it was not the horrible sight I thought it might have been.

At the end of that tape were commercials for the following two movies. So I went for years only seeing the first film. Then my parents heard that a local station would be running Empire and Jedi, so they taped them off there. The problem with that night was that there were tornado warnings which kept going off. So for years after we recorded them, I would watch The Empire Strikes Back with full screen text covering Luke's face and cuts to black.

We would eventually, and thankfully, buy a proper VHS set. I believe it was the nice, cleaned up version before they started doing the Special Editions.

I could go on more about other aspects, but I'll leave off with this somewhat disturbing comparison from wikipedia.

swcomparisonqq2.jpg

Gim on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, has anyone seen the teaser for the new Star Wars Animated series? Supposedly "coming soon?"

There is a discussion on whether or not that's fanmade, but the designs correspond to the action figures, which are most certainly official.

But anyway, if it's real, it looks absolutely terrible. Poor animation, wonky graphics, technically it almost looks like something from the 90s, etc. BUT IT HAS THRAWN AND SPACE COMBAT. So it might be good. Who knows, it's just a teaser, so it's probably really early anyway.

Erm, if it's real, that is.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Harry Knowles posted that shit with the implication that it was legit. Hours later, he added an addendum, stating "I'm 99.99999 percent sure this isn't legit."

I really, really hate that man sometimes.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I know, I didn't believe it either until I saw those action figures. And we haven't gotten any confirmation from Lucasfilm that it isn't theirs, which usually happens within 24 hours. So I'm pretty weirded out by the whole thing.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That comparison is rather odd Gim. To be fair Triumph of the Will is regarded as one fot e best documentaries ever made. Pity the woman was a nazi and something of a lunatic.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DjinnDjinn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There is nothing more vulgar than fantasy.

Djinn on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2007
    That comparison is retarded. You could also compare it with every wedding scene ever.

Tube on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, has anyone seen the teaser for the new Star Wars Animated series? Supposedly "coming soon?"

There is a discussion on whether or not that's fanmade, but the designs correspond to the action figures, which are most certainly official.

But anyway, if it's real, it looks absolutely terrible. Poor animation, wonky graphics, technically it almost looks like something from the 90s, etc. BUT IT HAS THRAWN AND SPACE COMBAT. So it might be good. Who knows, it's just a teaser, so it's probably really early anyway.

Erm, if it's real, that is.

Funky style to it, but I can look past that for Thrawn and EU stuff. Oh god I can't wait.

Arrath on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That comparison is retarded. You could also compare it with every wedding scene ever.

Han and Chewbacca to be man and husband! You heard it here first, folks!

yalborap on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Triump of the Will is inspiration for basically every military scene in every movie ever made. I don't understand how you could look up Star Wars on wikipedia, but then not click through to the movie it's referencing?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    The Laughing ManThe Laughing Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hate to burst some bubbles but the Star Wars Animated Style the statues are going off of is that of Clone Wars. The designs were very popular so they made statues of other Star Wars characters from other Eras in the same style and even made an awesome Boba Fett from Droids statue in the new animated style.

I don't think Lucas would let something that looks that bad to be made because the last time they made an animated series it was better than the movies they were based on. Lucas hasn't written a good script since Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade but the man has quality controls on visuals, if anything I think it's his main priority when making movies now. Also, I'm sure if there was a preview video it would be a Hyperspace exclusive and not released to Youtube first because that's the whole point of the club and why people pay for it.

Also, on the Triumph of Will thing. A good deal of military movies draw from the film because it was the first of its kind. Triumph of Will and also the works of Eisenstein, ie. Potemkin and Alexander Nevsky, had groundbreaking cinematography and have influenced movies to this day even though they were all propaganda films. They were designed to elicit support for the Nazis in the case of Triumph of Will, which has none of the racist ideology of the Nazis beyond a line about a race not protecting it's purity leads to its destruction, and the works of Eisenstein which were designed to incite revolution in other countries, Potemkin, and increase nationalistic fervor in the Russian people and racism against the German people, Alexander Nevsky. People copy the movies not because of their message but because of they were really the first movies of their kind and the techniques used were genius.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The X Wing EU series is surprisingly really good, and everyone should read it. I was somewhat obsessed with the novels for a while, but I stopped keeping up around when the New Jedi Order books came out. It just became too much.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The X Wing EU series is surprisingly really good, and everyone should read it. I was somewhat obsessed with the novels for a while, but I stopped keeping up around when the New Jedi Order books came out. It just became too much.

The Rogue Squadron series was excellent, as is the comic series that followed it as well.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

The Rogue Squadron series was excellent, as is the comic series that followed it as well.

I reread it just a few weeks ago...and was stunned to find myself loathing the Rogue Squadron books. Well, most parts of them. The style was horrible and repetitive and I'm starting to understand what people mean when they say Corran is a Mary Sue.

Now, Wraith Squadron is a bantha of a different color...

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You should read The Phantom Affair graphic novel, best Star Wars comic ever made.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Gim you asshole. You Godwinned a Star Wars thread in eight posts.

*shakes fist*

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Episode 3 book was just about the best movie novelization I've read. And the thing is, I read it before I saw Episode 3. I was really dissapointed when I found out that it wasnt nearly as great as the book.

Did anybody ever catch the New Jedi Order Series? I liked it, decent book series but unfortunately I had to skip alot of the books. D:

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shadowen wrote: »

I reread it just a few weeks ago...and was stunned to find myself loathing the Rogue Squadron books. Well, most parts of them. The style was horrible and repetitive and I'm starting to understand what people mean when they say Corran is a Mary Sue.

Now, Wraith Squadron is a bantha of a different color...

I'm still waiting for a Wraith Squadron game.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    juggerbotjuggerbot NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Battlefield mod doesn't count?

juggerbot on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    Gim you asshole. You Godwinned a Star Wars thread in eight posts.

*shakes fist*

I make no apologies.

Tube: I'm sure in another lifetime, Leni Riefenstahl was a wedding planner.

Also, Super Empire Strikes Back was awesome, if not obnoxiously hard in later levels (particularly at the beginning of Cloud City).

Gim on
  • Options
    PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    http://starwars.com

Official Teaser for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars CG show.

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    PiRaTe!!! wrote: »

That didn't look half bad actually. I think I prefer the animated skits prior to Ep. 3 personally, but those look good.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ok, that was a bit more polished. No Thrawn though :P

Cherrn on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »

That didn't look half bad actually. I think I prefer the animated skits prior to Ep. 3 personally, but those look good.

It just looks like they're going over the same materials =/ Give me my NJO series goddammit.

And what does everyone make of Lucas' 'leaking' info about a new movie?

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »

First I've heard about it. Spill the beans.

Also, what's a good recent Star Wars PC game that has a good single player element to it. I never did play KotOR, might pick that up. Anything else since then?

Gim on
  • Options
    MildQuixoticMildQuixotic ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    God all I want is a fucking post return of the jedi series, it would make so much more fucking money than anything tied to the prequels

MildQuixotic on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Damn, my internet connection is all screwy and won't connect to photbucket. I was going to post a picture of all my Star Wars stuff and be all "Ta-da!"

Edit: Haha, got it!
    HPIM0262.jpg
    That's not everything, because I've lost stuff before that was taken and got new stuff after, but that should be about:
    40 novels
    3 trade paperbacks
    4 reference books
    2 Force FX lightsabers
    10-15 games
    3 boxes of cards
    some models and action figures
    Both trilogies and the Clone Wars

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Ok, that was a bit more polished. No Thrawn though :P

A bit more polished? The fan one looked like they were spending too much time "tightening up the graphics".

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »

First I've heard about it. Spill the beans.

Also, what's a good recent Star Wars PC game that has a good single player element to it. I never did play KotOR, might pick that up. Anything else since then?

Try the Empire at War games. I enjoyed the (short) single player and ofcourse there's always the Jedi Knight series.

And here's just one of the many articles carrying this:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21786454-5001026,00.html?from=public_js

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There will NOT be another movie.

That was a misquote that has since been explained and discredited.

We're instead getting more Clone Wars, and some kind of live action TV series.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, I hope they have HK-47 make a cameo apperance in the live action series. That would be pure awesomeness.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007

Gee, I wonder who wins?!? :P

Anyways, forget the movies. Just give me a new KOTOR and a Jedi Knight and I'll be happy... for now.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    God all I want is a fucking post return of the jedi series, it would make so much more fucking money than anything tied to the prequels

Yes. Can we please get away from the Clone Wars now? It's been a fun right for the last 8ish years, but something new please.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Heir wrote: »

Yes. Can we please get away from the Clone Wars now? It's been a fun right for the last 8ish years, but something new please.

Yep. The trailer didn't look too bad, but it didn't really interest me. You know, because I've seen it already in 2D.

Taximes on