As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] thread: Don't get excited, Dibby; we're just talking.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Well, in your defense, routines have been thrown into chaos this year thanks to covid-19. It was Spring but now it's June.

Still, we had the loot bonanza from the Toys event. I don't see how you could have forgotten about that.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dibby wrote: »
    like i swear I SWEAR mechastorm 2 was RIGHT BEFORE DARK NEXUS 2

No that was Toys 2.

forty on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    like i swear I SWEAR mechastorm 2 was RIGHT BEFORE DARK NEXUS 2

No that was Toys 2.

No, this is Patrick!!!

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    This event is fucking siiiiiiiiick

• Options
    EbJdzlRXYAAaGwm.jpg

I've been trying out Gul'dan's Drain Life build recently....

It's REALLY good.

I know this game was a complete fucking stomp (lol) but damn this build feels insane. Crazy crazy fucking healing, the 40% slow on Drain Life is BRUTAL. It sets up for Tank engages SO well. Slap W on someone, Tank gets to walk up for free and stun the fuck out of them.

IT'S THE NEW HOT FAM

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I guess if you have a tank that actually capitalizes on it, that would be nice. Let us know how it fares in non-stomp games. I'd think the right opponents would be able to shut it down pretty hard with stuns/knockbacks. Looking at the overall numbers for Gul'dan, I don't seem to see any new hotness in W build. Looks like it's not ahead of any other builds.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    im having fun playing this again.

bittersweet fun.

• Options
    BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
    I lurk a lot here but if anyone wants a chill HotS buddy I play somewhat regularly. I don't really care what modes provided it's not AI. Beefjerky#1182

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    k1a557oe9jno.jpg

YO! Mei bringing out the double Tank meta so that means Q stacks for days! I ended up with 131, which equated to 597 per Q (4 uses). And our Morales was INSANELY clutch keeping us alive and was dropping Stim Drones on me for MAXIMUM POWER!!!

And I'm still just getting used to her. Right now I'm just focusing on keeping that armor/healing up.

Complete side note: what's the consensus on the "Attack Move Target Point" option? I've got it disabled currently and am wondering if I should enable it. For those that don't know, enabled means it attacks the nearest target to where you attack click, while if it's disabled, attack commands target the nearest enemy.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I wasn't aware that was an option, but I cannot stand missing autos because my character turns to attack a creep when I'm stutter-stepping alongside my targets. That's the primary reason I tend not to play AA-focused heroes competitively; Dibby and I were just talking about this today, in fact. If there's an option to be more precise about my stutter-stepped attacks, without having to actually click on the target after every move cycle, I would personally greatly benefit from enabling it.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that was an option, but I cannot stand missing autos because my character turns to attack a creep when I'm stutter-stepping alongside my targets. That's the primary reason I tend not to play AA-focused heroes competitively; Dibby and I were just talking about this today, in fact. If there's an option to be more precise about my stutter-stepped attacks, without having to actually click on the target after every move cycle, I would personally greatly benefit from enabling it.

Yeah that's been in there for a couple of years ago least, i remember when they patched it in turning it on and going awww this is nice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Definitely going to enable that.

• Options
    I like Mei a lot, but I probably won't play her again until the dust settles a bit. I've queued up for three matches with her so far, and lost all three. I just find it so awkward with double Mei each match.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The matches will be double mei regardless, but I agree it's not really a useful time to learn her kit

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I like Mei a lot, but I probably won't play her again until the dust settles a bit. I've queued up for three matches with her so far, and lost all three. I just find it so awkward with double Mei each match.

Only a Beta Mei would say something like this.

• Options
  • Options
    I was messing around with malganis to see what the rework changed up - but having my own team's mei bonk every sleep target immediately seemed pretty awkward as well

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Queuing up as the new hero is always generally a bad time anyway. Long LONG queues, your hero level is 1 so it matches you up with other very low leveled players, and just the overall congestion of everyone queuing as the new hero makes it hard to find a good match in general so the matchmaker gets real screwy.

It usually takes until hero level 7 or 8 to stop getting sippy cup league players on your team, and then usually takes until 9 or 10 to stop getting bronzes.

Edit:
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I was messing around with malganis to see what the rework changed up - but having my own team's mei bonk every sleep target immediately seemed pretty awkward as well

Honestly? Not much!!! He feels exactly the same, just that most of his talents got straight up raw buffs. Time to Feed literally got its healing doubled via hitting with Q, the 50 Armor talent no longer reduces W duration so it's literally an always pick now. Blind as a Bat has built in CDR so it's fucking STRONG now, the health threshold AA talent now works at ANY threshold, not just higher...

He doesn't really feel "different" or "changed up", just stronger overall.

Oh, but I was getting some PRIMO fuckin sleeps into our Mei's Blizzard, that was sick.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Yea Malg it's mostly just seeing if there is a reason to take any of the other buffed talents or just stick to standard build

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I play exclusively QM, so when a new hero comes out i try to figure out counters and play those since it's pretty much guaranteed one of the new hero in enemy team.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Is there a source for getting decent Hero builds other than Heroes Fire?

I figure it's due to the dwindling population but the guides are often outdated when i look them up.

Basically, i'd like to have a starting point when i wanna try a new hero for quests. Like I'd like to try Valla when i play next... Where do i start with that?

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y184K8YionI

Holy crap that Cassia at 7:10 and big LOL at 8:28.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

I figure it's due to the dwindling population but the guides are often outdated when i look them up.

Basically, i'd like to have a starting point when i wanna try a new hero for quests. Like I'd like to try Valla when i play next... Where do i start with that?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.heroesprofile.com/

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

Feel free to use this thread as a resource. There are talented, knowledgeable players here ranging from Bronze to Masters, and we'd be happy to help. Frankly, I'd be glad just to have people talking in the thread again, lol.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Valla - if it's a face, pick it

Note, I'm bad at video games

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I play exclusively QM, so when a new hero comes out i try to figure out counters and play those since it's pretty much guaranteed one of the new hero in enemy team.

I used to just play Abathur so you could clone the new hero to play them with short queues :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Thanks in advance!

Expounding on this: Heroesprofile is a great resource for showing you either the most popular talent builds (aka the ones most people take) or the highest winrate talents in a given tier.... But it doesn't explain why (obviously). Also, given that a patch JUST came out... the data is VERY sparse. The basic gist of how to use Heroesprofile is as follows:

- Go to the Hero Stats tab at the top. Ctrl+F your desired Hero.
    - Set game type filter to either Storm League or QM.
    - Select the second tab labeled Timeframe, and deselect the top option (which should say 2.51) and select the box RIGHT below that which should say 2.50.2.80046.
    - Hit the "Filter" button on the far right side. It's green.

The Timeframe tab is just the different patches, they reset the data gathered every patch, which is why we select the 2.50.2.8 instead of the current one. After some amount of time has passed, you won't need to do this, because enough data will have been gathered for the current patch. Anyway, after it filters.... you can see individual winrates and pickrates for every talent, and at the very bottom of the page, you can just find straight up builds people are taking.

So, if you need to know the why or the how, as @milk ducks said, feel free to ask in the thread. We have lots of knowledgeable players here, I myself know how to play practically every hero in the game.

That being said, since you expressed interest in Valla, @21stCentury, I can walk you through a small guide on her builds! FIRST OFF: All three of her builds are viable. There is no wrong way to build Valla, but they do play a bit differently.

I think a great build to start off with is W build, or Multishot build, because it's very safe and lets your learn the ins and outs of Valla.

1- Hot Pursuit. This gives you mana regen and more movespeed at max Hatred stacks. Hatred is your Trait, you gain 1 stack for every autoattack, it gives bonus attack damage and movespeed for every stack up to 10. So this talent just gives you a bonus at max stacks.
    4- Punishment. This makes your W hit harder for each stack of Hatred you have. Straightforward!
    7- Arsenal. Multishot fires 3 grenades at a fixed angle, they do some damage and lower the cd of Multishot if they hit someone. Just extra damage and cdr.
    10- Either! They're both great Ults. Strafe is good if you need some finishing potential on the backline or if it's a bit too unsafe to really get up in there. Rain is a GREAT CC tool and really puts a stop to angry dive heroes that wanna eat your face.
    13- Tempered by Discipline OR Gloom. Both are great. Tempered gives you some HEFTY lifesteal on your autos at max Hatred stacks, Gloom gives you flat Spell Armor and lets you consume your Hatred Stacks for bonus Spell Armor. Gloom is a great pick into Mages or otherwise spell damage heavy teams.
    16- Frost Shot OR Seething Hatred. Frost Shot gives you more range and a slow on Multishot, it's just very effective and safe. Seething Hatred makes it so you only need to land 5 autos for max Hatred instead of 10, AND gives you bonus spell power. Either are good, it just depends on how safe or unsafe you feel. If you feel pretty comfortable being at the range you're in, pickup Seething Hatred.
    20- Honestly? Anything. They're all very good talents. Ult Upgrades are great, Farflight gives you a HUGE attack range boost, Rancor gives you massive attack speed. Despite being W build, a lot of Valla's damage still comes from her autos, so both of those are legit picks.

I can do some write-ups for Q build and AA build a bit later, cause I gotta jet right now. But I hope that helps!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    But Dibby, if you remove the sparse data, you don't get this glorious result that is in the current patch:
    25wn3p8ra6kz.png

Don't be a fish-hater, Dibby.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    OK game, let's see what sort of QM comp I'm up against....

3upxcgr9jx5d.jpg

OMG, I'm gonna get ALL THE DAMN Qs!!!

But how many you ask?

jf0mw36vjfwu.jpg
    "That's a lot of damage"

lkcvmyp96k39.jpg
    EZ Game!

New Cassia is a lot of fun and I'm certainly clicking with her way more than her old style. Sad that her anti-AA role is gone, but I'll certainly take this new version of her any day of the week. Please let the double tank meta stick around for a while.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
    So whats the current build for Cassia then? I couldn't do old Cassia at all either, but all this new Cassia talk has me thinking maybe I should try her out again.

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    All of her builds are competitive, I think; there are advantages and disadvantages to each, and it kind of depends on your strengths as a player, but you can do well with Q, Fend, or AA builds. They're all good.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    All of her builds are competitive, I think; there are advantages and disadvantages to each, and it kind of depends on your strengths as a player, but you can do well with Q, Fend, or AA builds. They're all good.

Only a Beta Cassia would say something like this.

Go Fend or Go Home.

• Options
    edited June 2020

Thanks in advance!

Expounding on this: Heroesprofile is a great resource for showing you either the most popular talent builds (aka the ones most people take) or the highest winrate talents in a given tier.... But it doesn't explain why (obviously). Also, given that a patch JUST came out... the data is VERY sparse. The basic gist of how to use Heroesprofile is as follows:

- Go to the Hero Stats tab at the top. Ctrl+F your desired Hero.
    - Set game type filter to either Storm League or QM.
    - Select the second tab labeled Timeframe, and deselect the top option (which should say 2.51) and select the box RIGHT below that which should say 2.50.2.80046.
    - Hit the "Filter" button on the far right side. It's green.

The Timeframe tab is just the different patches, they reset the data gathered every patch, which is why we select the 2.50.2.8 instead of the current one. After some amount of time has passed, you won't need to do this, because enough data will have been gathered for the current patch. Anyway, after it filters.... you can see individual winrates and pickrates for every talent, and at the very bottom of the page, you can just find straight up builds people are taking.

So, if you need to know the why or the how, as milk ducks said, feel free to ask in the thread. We have lots of knowledgeable players here, I myself know how to play practically every hero in the game.

That being said, since you expressed interest in Valla, @21stCentury, I can walk you through a small guide on her builds! FIRST OFF: All three of her builds are viable. There is no wrong way to build Valla, but they do play a bit differently.

I think a great build to start off with is W build, or Multishot build, because it's very safe and lets your learn the ins and outs of Valla.

1- Hot Pursuit. This gives you mana regen and more movespeed at max Hatred stacks. Hatred is your Trait, you gain 1 stack for every autoattack, it gives bonus attack damage and movespeed for every stack up to 10. So this talent just gives you a bonus at max stacks.
    4- Punishment. This makes your W hit harder for each stack of Hatred you have. Straightforward!
    7- Arsenal. Multishot fires 3 grenades at a fixed angle, they do some damage and lower the cd of Multishot if they hit someone. Just extra damage and cdr.
    10- Either! They're both great Ults. Strafe is good if you need some finishing potential on the backline or if it's a bit too unsafe to really get up in there. Rain is a GREAT CC tool and really puts a stop to angry dive heroes that wanna eat your face.
    13- Tempered by Discipline OR Gloom. Both are great. Tempered gives you some HEFTY lifesteal on your autos at max Hatred stacks, Gloom gives you flat Spell Armor and lets you consume your Hatred Stacks for bonus Spell Armor. Gloom is a great pick into Mages or otherwise spell damage heavy teams.
    16- Frost Shot OR Seething Hatred. Frost Shot gives you more range and a slow on Multishot, it's just very effective and safe. Seething Hatred makes it so you only need to land 5 autos for max Hatred instead of 10, AND gives you bonus spell power. Either are good, it just depends on how safe or unsafe you feel. If you feel pretty comfortable being at the range you're in, pickup Seething Hatred.
    20- Honestly? Anything. They're all very good talents. Ult Upgrades are great, Farflight gives you a HUGE attack range boost, Rancor gives you massive attack speed. Despite being W build, a lot of Valla's damage still comes from her autos, so both of those are legit picks.

I can do some write-ups for Q build and AA build a bit later, cause I gotta jet right now. But I hope that helps!

aight i'm BACK HOME i can do some quick writeups for Q and AA builds:

Q build is a bit more all-in, a bit more difficult to play, but DAMN does it pack some supreme burst (and burst healing!). It's all about completing the Q quest at 4 asap and then unloading into fools.

1- Monster Hunter. This helps with all the Q spam you'll be doing (as you'll be doing A LOT) and also gives Valla some pretty insane Mercing potential. Like honestly she can clear any camp in no time flat with this.
    4- Puncturing Arrow. This is the Q quest, it's very straightforward: Land 20 Q hits on enemy Heroes. This gives you a bonus flat damage increase on Q and an extra Q bounce. Just Q people in lane on cooldown,
    7- Repeating Arrow. Vault resets Q's cooldown. Straightforward, but this is where the all-in part comes from. Ideally in teamfights, you corner some poor sap and Q -> E -> Q into them and melt their face. But be CAREFUL in doing so, because well, you don't have Vault up anymore. Once you get this talent, Q -> E -> Q on cooldown in lane or whatever until the quest completes.
    10- Either, again. Rain can definitely help with the all-in part though, makes it less dangerous to be Vaulting in.
    13- Siphoning Arrow. This makes double Q restore like almost your entire lifebar. It's NUTS.
    16- Mmmm, any? Any one works here. Seething or Manticore are my recommendations.
    20- Any~

AA build!

1- Hot Pursuit.
    4- Creed of the Hunter. Straightforward quest, land 100 autoattacks on enemy heroes, gain more attack damage from Hatred stacks. You also get a flat bonus of 10% attack speed just baseline for picking this talent, you don't need to complete the quest for that.
    7- Death Dealer. This makes it so your autoattack crit after Vaulting hits THAT much harder. Auto someone until they're out of range and super low, Vault forward, punch them in the face with a giant mack truck of an auto.
    10- Any.
    13- Tempered. With the increased attack speed and attack damage, this is a no brainer. Even more lifesteal.
    16- Seething or Manticore.
    20- Farflight or Rancor. Recommend Rancor if you feel safe enough.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

That’s a mobile game.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options

That’s a mobile game.

The switch is a legitimate console.

• Options
    edited June 2020

And I thought that HotS was late to the moba bandwagon.

Also, did they really need like 45 seconds of unrelated fluff in their minute long trailer?

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

He's already dead, Jim.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

Also, did they really need like 45 seconds of unrelated fluff in their minute long trailer?

I'm guessing you've never seen Nintendo ads. Sometimes you gotta show people on rooftops having fun.

Oh, and I'm a first-pick Bulbasaur main. Don't at me.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I'm guessing you've never seen Nintendo ads. Sometimes you gotta show people on rooftops having fun.

Oh, and I'm a first-pick Bulbasaur main. Don't at me.

The thing is that they spend more time "showing people on rooftops having fun" than showing off the new game. Substantially more. Bulbasaur is a good choice, but Starmie is an old favorite of mine.

3DS Friend Code: