As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] thread: Don't get excited, Dibby; we're just talking.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    They're nice, but I would have liked tiny missile turrets with each one spamming the missile turret attack sound.

That probably would have gotten annoying though.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    They're nice, but I would have liked tiny missile turrets with each one spamming the missile turret attack sound.

That probably would have gotten annoying though.

The Wings of Liberty upgraded version with the extra missiles

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Grove wrote: »

I'm not gonna lie, this is the kind of shit I love the most.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I mean, it's an actual new cinematic. That stuff is expensive to make.

Glad to see hots was thrown a bone, even if just to announce... skins...

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Grove wrote: »

I'm not gonna lie, this is the kind of shit I love the most.

Yea, I might be a blizzard fanboy but I get a kick out of playing the characters from all the other blizzard games in Hots. It's one of the things that keeps me playing Hots instead of league coupled with my inability to last hit. Zerg-Arthas vs Draenei-Artanis is exactly the kind of game that I want to be playing.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I think Blizzard removing the weekly Brawl chest to make ARAM an official mode was Blizzard's 1000th monkey paw finger curl. There should be some confetti.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Played some New Gaz and New DVa today. Initial thoughts: They fun!!

More in-depth thoughts:

Gazlowe, okay. I haven't tried every talent yet but I've tried a few different builds. AA build was the first I tried with Robo-Goblin. It seemed strong but also kind of.... unsafe? I mean, I play QM, comps are a crapshoot half the time, and you really need a solid frontline+healer to make this one work. But oh boy does it slap. But I wasn't having a ton of success with it due to the aforementioned. So, good build, depends on having a proper comp.

The second Gazlowe build I tried was a hybrid Laser/Turret build? I took Big Game Hunter at level 1 (which is required for Mercing, by the by, that is fuckin' nuts), at 4 I took either Turret Shields or Hyperfocus Coils (undecided on this! They're both pretty good! Hyperfocus leads to more healing, but I think Turret Shields is better mitigation in the moment especially with Big Game Hunter). Overload at level 7 feels fantastic. You get way more Laser spam and way more healing. The slow talent is good too, of course, especially if you team lacks a reliable CC. Took Grav-O-Bomb, which is SURPRISINGLY EASY TO PULL OFF NOW. It's literally just walk up R->E that's it kill them all. But you're still relying on your team to actually capitalize on that and if they can't.... But hey, I was able to kill three fuckin' people with one once because my team finally realized "oooooh wait KILL the targets when they get Grav-O'd, okay". Superior Schematics at 13, even though Turret damage sucks, yes. The reason being is that even though Turrets suck, you are shitting them out with the level 1. And having them hit 3 total targets with extra range is really good. Even if the damage isn't much, you can still shit them out and that matters. Ark Reactor at 16. That talent works much differently than I initially thought it would; the mini-turrets it creates are not targetable, so it's literally just free extra damage. It's quite good! Mini-Black Hole at 20. It's good good good. This one felt pretty safe! I was pumping out a lot of damage, honestly. Grav-O is a great setup, but again, your team needs to capitalize on it. CD feels low enough that it's not super punitive if nothing really happens though.

Firin' Mah Lazorz doesn't seem super good honestly. It requires too much setup and it's far too finicky to pull off and the damage isn't great.

Gazlowe's W and E seem SO, so good now though. E is much more reliable, even without the Slow talent. It goes off so fast now. W provides a shitton of healing, especially with the 2nd charge/cdr talent.

For DVa.... I was having a bit more trouble with. I've played a shitton of DVa so I know how she works, but. Dunno. Had some trouble winning games! Might've been comp related, QM being QM. Liquid Cooling seems nuts. a 50 sec cd Well Tap that you can use whenever the fuck you want is crazy good. Huge healing in teamfights. Haven't tried the other level 1s, I'll have to give it a go though. I'm really not a fan of the offensive Booster talents since that's your one literal escape button and burning it just to do a bit of extra damage or a half second stun don't seem great. So, the other options seem more appealing to me. Get On The Point is great, it's the old level 1 talent she had that would reduce Booster cd out of combat. It's a fucking necessity for rotating between lanes, honestly. Both Ults are great. I'm pleasantly surprised they managed to make Bunny Hop meaningful. Micro Missiles seems nuuuuuts though. I tried Good To Go one game.... I dunno. They massively nerfed Torpedo Roll and Concussive Blast that I'm not sure they're worth taking! Both got cd increases but also HUGE range decreases. Torpedo Roll barely launches you far enough. Pew Pew Pew is fucking great, it's a level 20 at level 13, it gives a ton of Meka CDR. All of her 16s seem good? Again, not a fan of offensive Booster talents so that's out. All her level 20s seem great too. Ablative is kind of nuts. That's a lot of extra healing/mitigation you can get, you just gotta remember that it's a 4 second HoT and to actually let it tick off to get the healing. Works better with burstier damage rather than small incremental damage, but. Anyway, I was taking the offensive Booster talents at first and I noticed I was dying a lot because of it. It's so not worth it, literally just save Boosters for escaping and you're golden. If you Boost away I guarantee you won't die. If you Boost in just to deal like 4% health damage or whatever, you gon' die. But I was also up against Heroes like Garrosh etc so I'd get thrown in, Meka destroyed, Taunted out of it and dead.

Very very pleased with how they made Meka form relevant. I actually feel like I want to be in Meka form more often than I do Pilot form now, which is the opposite of how it used to be. The baseline damage increase to her autos if the target is close matters a lot; it makes her waveclear fucking insane, and she can dualsoak like a motherfucker. She can also merc quite easily, because it's easy enough to get all the mercs in the bonus damage part. And you have Liquid Cooling if you need to heal up, or you can take the lifesteal talent at 1 instead.

Pretty pleased with both reworks. They might need some tweaks here and there. Gazlowe's Turrets still feel pretty weak, even if you can shit them out with Big Game Hunter. They really don't do much. A few of his talents feel a bit weak. The spell power Turret one is kind of... ehhh.. That one probably needs to be a bit more thorny. 15% spell power isn't that much. I'm also not a huge fan of how they converted Robo-Goblin's damage into a DoT instead of just a multiplicative bonus to his autos, but... Well, the DoT damage isn't insignificant, it just doesn't have as much of a benefit once the target is at 3 stacks.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I really hope they increase the scrap shelf life. 2 seconds feels suuuper punitive.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    EhmJje9XcAAaORz.jpg
    Ehm6xxJXcAAA_QA.jpg

nah nah nah nah nevermind we out here LIVIN'

WE OUT HERE WINNIN' TONITE FAM

But yeah basically I just needed to adjust to New Gaz and New D.Va and it took a few games but we in there. D.Va has a lot more build freedom than Gazlowe at the moment, I think... For Gazlowe I tinkered with multiple various builds, but I think E build with Rocket Boots at 1 is like, The Build. So you go Rocket Boots, Hyperfocus Coils, Overload (Overload is MANDATORY. Trust me on this), whichever Ult but Grav-O is ridiculously easy to use now and wins teamfights, Overcharged Capacitors (Spell Power Turrets), Ark Reaktor, whatever at 20. Grav-O upgrade is probably The Pick, but take Bomb Toss if you wanna be spicy. It's actually not bad at all, I tried it out that game. The zoning potential is ridiculous and honestly, hits people more often than I was expecting. They do not, however, create more mini-turrets if you took Ark Reaktor. But I dunno, it seemed good! It forces people into bad positions, is the thing, and you can capitalize on the zoning they create. Or they'll just hit people. In a hectic teamfight it can be hard to react to them and they do go off much faster now. Otherwise Ult upgrades are damn good.

With D.Va I've tried a bunch of her talents out. I really like the Lifesteal at level 1. It's fantastic. I've actually been taking the W talents at 13/16, so you just get a slow and armor reduction on the entire fucking team basically. But all her talents are good, honestly. Maybe like one or two suck. The W talents at 4 and 7 don't feel super great. I tried the Booster stun talent at 7, actually, that one's really actually pretty decent. It's only half a second but if it stops a hard carry in their tracks that half second can often be enough. Bunny Hop surprisingly good. The extra damage and stun it does is GREAT.

Gazlowe might still need a few tweaks (more Turret damage, please and thank you), but D.Va is great.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Testing out the gaz...
    nyzxs8asjx7c.jpg

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    MMMig wrote: »
    Testing out the gaz...
    nyzxs8asjx7c.jpg

How in the...?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Try Mode.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Fun story time!

My computer died on me a few days ago, and after some tinkering, I figured I should take it to one of our local computer shops. Guy checks it in and says he'll call me if he figures it out. A few hours later, I get the call to come on in and pick it up. My D drive is an old-school spinning HDD and has just logged in 40k hours, causing it to start dying (note to self: turn off PC at bed. Sleep mode isn't helping).

Anyway, I go to pick up the PC and the same guy is ringing me up. I see a framed HotS poster on the wall mixed in with some other Blizzard stuff. I point to the HotS poster and comment on it, saying how I love the game (well, love/hate) and the wife and I play.

Dude tells me he's a former pro player that just retired. Like, he was on an HGC team that got disbanded and was recently playing in the NGS. He was a Support main who also plays a really good Gall. Finally left HotS for good after this last season when his team got 3rd or something.

We talked HotS stuff for about 20 minutes. Things ranged from the HGC experience, team training, players behind the scenes (Khaldor, Fan, Moon, etc), and which characters/strats I should be using to get out of Silver (which he said was the worst rank he played in when doing his own Bronze to GM challenge).

And no, he didn't mention his name or gamertag. He said he doesn't give that info out since he doesn't want to get doxxed, which I totally understand. Pretty cool to meet a former pro though. Really nice guy. Small world, huh?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Sleep mode isn't good?

Yeah yeah former pro all cool stuff etc etc, but I use sleep mode on my computer a bunch :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Sleep mode isn't good?

Yeah yeah former pro all cool stuff etc etc, but I use sleep mode on my computer a bunch :P

There should be an option in the power settings to shut power off to HDDs during sleep mode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shit I just leave my computer on all the time. 40k hours isn't that many...

• Options
    I really should turn my computer off one of these days....

Then again at least I'm not on win7 anymore
    ;)

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    forty wrote: »

I mean, it's almost 5 years of constant runtime...

Steam profile
  • Options
    tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    You people and your power buttons. My kids dropped stuff on the top of the case enough times (it sits next to the desk) which I'm pretty sure dislodged the cable from the power button. It's a pain to get to without taking a bunch of stuff out to do it, so instead I "hotwire" my computer to turn it on. Where the cable would plug into the motherboard, I just have that unplugged now and if my computer is off, I take a screwdriver and stick it into that spot so that it connects the pins and it boots up. lol

tyrantula22 on
    Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • Options

Right, which isn't very much, in computer time. My current PC is about 6 years old now and is rarely powered down.

• Options

Right, which isn't very much, in computer time. My current PC is about 6 years old now and is rarely powered down.

HDDs aren't expected to last much more than that, a quick Google search tells me. Which.... means I may need to start looking at a new HDD. And maybe some other new parts, it's been a while...

Steam profile
  • Options
    Bruh just get an SSD and your computer will boot up in like 12 seconds flat lmao

Turn off your computer every night, leaving it on all the time is no bueno

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    Bruh just get an SSD and your computer will boot up in like 12 seconds flat lmao

Turn off your computer every night, leaving it on all the time is no bueno

I use Sleep to keep my state the same, not for bootup time. I have my OS on an SSD in part for that reason, yeah :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    OK I was pretty sure this was wrong, so I checked. When you put your computer to Sleep, the HDD is turned off. It does not hurt the lifespan of your hard drive more than turning off your PC, it saves stuff to RAM and turns off the HDD. Actually restarting your computer too frequently could be worse for certain components... although we're talking over long periods of time and/or bad luck, here, given modern PC components, so it's not really a big risk.

So.... sleep is fine?

Addendum: You should occasionally restart everything though. "Turn it off and on again" is the way to fix all computer problems for a reason, it works :P

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    You people and your power buttons. My kids dropped stuff on the top of the case enough times (it sits next to the desk) which I'm pretty sure dislodged the cable from the power button. It's a pain to get to without taking a bunch of stuff out to do it, so instead I "hotwire" my computer to turn it on. Where the cable would plug into the motherboard, I just have that unplugged now and if my computer is off, I take a screwdriver and stick it into that spot so that it connects the pins and it boots up. lol

How have you never shown me this lol

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Cool pro story and everyone talks about HDDs. :biggrin: oh HotS thread...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    For some components the boot up process is more stressful than just remaining on. The important thing to do is to make sure that you keep everything adequately cooled (READ: dust free for home PCs), and that you have up to date backups of everything that you don't want to risk losing (this is the most important step that no one ever listens to).

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Cool pro story and everyone talks about HDDs. :biggrin: oh HotS thread...

HDDs in 2020?

That's a paddlin'.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Fun story time!

My computer died on me a few days ago, and after some tinkering, I figured I should take it to one of our local computer shops. Guy checks it in and says he'll call me if he figures it out. A few hours later, I get the call to come on in and pick it up. My D drive is an old-school spinning HDD and has just logged in 40k hours, causing it to start dying (note to self: turn off PC at bed. Sleep mode isn't helping).

Anyway, I go to pick up the PC and the same guy is ringing me up. I see a framed HotS poster on the wall mixed in with some other Blizzard stuff. I point to the HotS poster and comment on it, saying how I love the game (well, love/hate) and the wife and I play.

Dude tells me he's a former pro player that just retired. Like, he was on an HGC team that got disbanded and was recently playing in the NGS. He was a Support main who also plays a really good Gall. Finally left HotS for good after this last season when his team got 3rd or something.

We talked HotS stuff for about 20 minutes. Things ranged from the HGC experience, team training, players behind the scenes (Khaldor, Fan, Moon, etc), and which characters/strats I should be using to get out of Silver (which he said was the worst rank he played in when doing his own Bronze to GM challenge).

And no, he didn't mention his name or gamertag. He said he doesn't give that info out since he doesn't want to get doxxed, which I totally understand. Pretty cool to meet a former pro though. Really nice guy. Small world, huh?

A support main and former pro player who was recently in NGS? Not a lot of people would fit that description... You should ask him if he's going to play in the CCL!
    OK I was pretty sure this was wrong, so I checked. When you put your computer to Sleep, the HDD is turned off. It does not hurt the lifespan of your hard drive more than turning off your PC, it saves stuff to RAM and turns off the HDD. Actually restarting your computer too frequently could be worse for certain components... although we're talking over long periods of time and/or bad luck, here, given modern PC components, so it's not really a big risk.

So.... sleep is fine?

Addendum: You should occasionally restart everything though. "Turn it off and on again" is the way to fix all computer problems for a reason, it works :P

I'm not sure the "it's bad for your computer to restart it" thing has been true for at least a decade now... The biggest risk was always HDD platters spinning up, and if you have an SSD not only does that particular problem go away, it makes your boot-up time incredibly short as well.

There are also risks and costs to Sleep Mode, too. For example, you will pay more for electricity, and if you lose power and do not have a properly-configured UPS then your machine can break while it is Sleeping (although this is also an issue while your computer is on, you are lowering your time window of risk if your computer is simply off when that occurs). In addition, a machine that is on is a machine that is available for use. Sometimes this is a good thing - program updates and maintenance can be run during off hours. Sometimes this is a bad thing - if your machine is compromised, someone can use it while you aren't. You may also run into some kind of hardware/software issue where Sleep Mode breaks or messes with something (Hibernate also has this problem to an even larger degree). Like, the game you were playing gets a corrupted save file or the latest firmware update broke the wake-up process for your GPU.

The chances of this happening are even higher if you use specialized hardware or software, like a USB KVM switch or a niche monitoring application - things that may not have built into their general requirements the ability to support every single type of Sleep Mode/Hibernate configuration under the sun, such as turning off USB power. I feel like the bare minimum standard is that stuff is expected to work when you start the computer up, which minimizes problems when you aren't doing some kind of hybrid power mode.

At some point you will need to perform a clean reboot of your machine to install stuff like security and firmware updates, or just to clean out caches and processes that programs forget to do for themselves (do not listen to anyone who tells you that "it shouldn't work like that" - that's the same kind of thinking that leads to arguments like "people shouldn't wear seat belts because they shouldn't get into accidents!"). You might as well do that on a regular, daily basis to minimize overall disruption and to ensure that you are incrementally applying them ASAP.

Personally, I turn off Fast Startup and completely turn off my computer when I'm not using it. Usually this means I turn it on in the morning and then turn it off when I go to bed. The big thing is turning off Fast Startup - I totally understand why this feature may have been useful in the past, but once SSDs became standard it became obsolete. Even if you use Sleep Mode or Hibernate, you should turn off Fast Startup.

P.S. - Never use Hibernate. Just turn off your PC.

• Options
    ehhh

"Increased electricity usage" is not gonna fly with me. Nor is "someone will hack your computer while it's asleep". I'd rather just have everything saved and ready to go the way I left it every day. With occasional full reboots like I said.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Yes, everything has pros and cons. Increased energy usage is a far more consistent and real cost than "your PC parts might break because you rebooted your computer". Which you are comfortable with is a matter of personal preference - if you like to leave a bunch of stuff up and running all the time, then Sleep/Hibernate will likely be more valuable to you than otherwise.

• Options
    I mean, I said it wasn't a big risk barring bad luck, yeah :P . The increased electrical cost is "real" only in the sense of "it costs you a few quarters extra every year, maybe."

But you've also made some assumptions! It's more than just the HDD that is affected by powering up, and a lot of people don't have their OS's on SSD's still. Therefore I'm objectively right and Abathur is the best hero. ARAM with only Abathur pls.

Steam profile
  • Options
    I would agree that "increased electricity usage", while technically true, is almost surely going to be fairly negligible over all. That is of course assuming you are not running some sort of heavy processes on your computer when not in use, which is the assumed case here we're talking about anyways. Plus, if you're that worried about being hacked, just unplug from the internet whenever you're not using it. It's really the only way to be 100% safe when not present.

Also, just because your computer is off doesn't mean it can't get hit if you have a power surge. Yes, the chances are lowered if it's off, but as long as it's plugged in, there is a risk. UPS/surge protectors can help, but those frequently need replaced (3-5 years) as they degrade over time and just become a power strip at some point along the line.

Steam ID
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm still in the club of people that are lazy and haven't switched over to SSD. I'm going to need to soon just because my computer is like 10 years old now. And while I've replaced all sorts of stuff to keep it updated, the hard drive has not been one of those things. Also, it's probably why booting up HOTS takes me like 5 minutes before I can actually get to the character select screen. :(

Steam ID
  • Options
    I want a bigger SSD yeah. I have a lot of games on my HDD because my SSD is too small :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    I'm sure my next PC will be all SSD-ified, but for now my current one still works OK. If it holds out long enough, my plan is to get a new one in time for Diablo 4.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm still in the club of people that are lazy and haven't switched over to SSD. I'm going to need to soon just because my computer is like 10 years old now. And while I've replaced all sorts of stuff to keep it updated, the hard drive has not been one of those things. Also, it's probably why booting up HOTS takes me like 5 minutes before I can actually get to the character select screen. :(

SSDs are dirt cheap relative to their ROI on terms of performance. If you don't have one I'd recommend getting one as your next upgrade. They're also incredibly easy to swap in if you get a name brand like Samsung, as they come with ready-to-use imaging software to swap everything over painlessly.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    small caveat to getting the performance upgrade - you have to actually install your OS/games on the SSD - you can't just put the SSD in your case and expect an upgrade, eh @traib

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    small caveat to getting the performance upgrade - you have to actually install your OS/games on the SSD - you can't just put the SSD in your case and expect an upgrade, eh @traib

Traib's biggest performance improvement would be cleaning his keyboard so the keys don't get stuck.

Also see: Not eating over the keyboard.