As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Shadowlands: It's out!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I always got the CE's for the art book and the soundtrack, since it was cheaper than buying them separately. If it were just for the in-game stuff I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Where I'm stupid regarding WoW CE's, is that I genuinely regret not getting the one for Legion even though I wasn't playing anymore, because it feels like it would've been a more appropriate end point for a collection than WoD.

I will refer to what came in the BFA CE was a big metal turd

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Loremaster Cho mousepad I'm using was the best part of the ce at least the thing I've got the most value out of and it wasn't even my ce it's my brother's!

It's nice having Cho on hand always

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh wow the current data mined shaman legendary effects are exactly what I wanted it is so fucking go time.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The last two weeks of changes for Enhancement have been turboballer.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    They're effectively getting rid of pre-potting
    In this next build of the Shadowlands alpha, combat potions, such as primary stat potions and mana potions, now have a 5 minute cooldown. Additionally, they are no longer limited to one use per encounter. This is intended to make potion use less of a hassle, less expensive, and more decision-oriented in various situations throughout the game.

In raid encounters, players will still have the option of using a potion at the start of an encounter, but using a potion just prior to and as close to the pull as possible will no longer be required. Longer encounters will now offer up more than one moment to use a potion for maximum tactical advantage. Ending a raid boss encounter with a wipe or a win will reset the potion cooldown.

In dungeons, spacing out potion use will place more emphasis on deciding the most important times to use them.

In PvP situations where combat potions are allowed, such as War Mode, Battlegrounds, and Epic Battlegrounds, the rate at which you drop combat can vary greatly. This change will bring a consistent expected cooldown to combat potions when you see enemies consume them.

Please feel free to share your feedback on this change in this thread. Thank you.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Very good change I think.

• Options
    Yeah the game of trying to time your pot close enough to pull but before people pulling early was dumb. Now I can just use it whenever.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Yeah the game of trying to time your pot close enough to pull but before people pulling early was dumb. Now I can just use it whenever.

Not to mention the inevitable "ugggh" moment when someone body pulls the boss while the timer is at 3 or something.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Quick question about the legendary effects that are popping up: do the slots associated with them mean that we'll outright be able to craft that item?

Will I reliably have a sweet staff for the entirety of the next expansion!?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yes, all the legendaries are crafted and deterministic.

• Options
    Dys wrote: »
    Quick question about the legendary effects that are popping up: do the slots associated with them mean that we'll outright be able to craft that item?

Will I reliably have a sweet staff for the entirety of the next expansion!?

You craft your Legendaries from Base Items done by professions and weapons are explicitly not included:
    Base Item armor pieces can be: Head, Shoulders, Chest, Wrists, Hands, Belt, Pants, Boots
    Base Item jewelry pieces can be: Neck and Ring (unique equipped)

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Some of the datamined ones look like they're not those slots.

• Options
    Whelk wrote: »
    Some of the datamined ones look like they're not those slots.

Huh, I see. Guess that going to have to wait until they are implemented, letting people make weapons just seems to make the gearing too easy and introduce balance issues.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    always the catch about datamining, how many data strings are made with Maximum Intent and how many are just kinda there

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The CE mount is bad because this is already a $50 game with a $15 monthly sub and another $50 every two years to stay current.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    The CE mount is bad because this is already a $50 game with a $15 monthly sub and another $50 every two years to stay current.

You don't need the CE mount to "stay current".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Very good change I think.

I would prefer if they would decouple utility pots from combat pots with this change though. Or make the CD drop to 60s out of combat (and when you leave combat).

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Because I felt well I bought the sucker's prize for BFA CE is why I have not been playing much {the summer of hell and now the ugly crap at work} Is just one of the various reasons I did not really look into the CE for shadowlands so I am kind of confused about it

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

The base game is free.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

The base game is free.

It’s true, and there is a ton of base game. But if you want to play with friends regularly, the latest expansion seems practically mandatory.

I dunno, maybe other people’s friends aren’t all doing BfA endgame stuff all the time? Mine are.

• Options
    Is there anyone out there Horde side who would like to get some kind of organized M+ thing going? Like around 10:30 EST a few nights a week? I would like to get more involved with it on my Shaman, but relying on pugs can be depressing.

I have had good pugs, but spending 1 hour in Underrot 15 last night only for everyone to leave after a few final boss wipes was super deflating.

• Options
    I'm only a timed KR+15 away from the season meta and i think i will wait for a week with no tyrannical teeming because the axe boss lady is brutal on tyrannical and teeming adds hard adds you need additional interrupts for to KR for some reason.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The final boss of Underrot was no joke either. Then again I looked at the healers numbers and I think I was doing that kind of HPS when I was ilvl 440. Not that I was perfect either, but the whole group had its share of mistakes from the tank not clearing shrooms on that boss, to no one communicating where we were going near the end (haven't seen that route yet, so the whole group was just spreading out randomly) to people flat out ignoring the debuff clear on the final boss (to be fair, the tank did tell everyone to stack... of which no one did)

That is why I would like a group of consistent people. At least I know they would be willing to stick out failure and help each other learn. I really have no idea how much of that failure was mine, but I sure assessed the hell out of everything in that run for like 30 mins to help for next time.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    What ilevel would be okay to start doing mythics again? I havent played in like 6-7 months, and even then I wasnt super pushing anything. I think my highest was a +8 back then. My gear is like 430 on my highest, and my cloak is only like 4 or 5.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    loot in regular mythics is 430, so around there is good to start getting into a +2 or 3. It would depend on the corruptions you end up with though. Get a TD early and you get a huge boost in DPS at low ilvls.

I would gladly help people push through things earlier to get up to a decent level. My shaman is like 472 now and pushes 100k dps in aoe pretty regularly now. I could help carry a bit at this point.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    CorriganX wrote: »
    What ilevel would be okay to start doing mythics again? I havent played in like 6-7 months, and even then I wasnt super pushing anything. I think my highest was a +8 back then. My gear is like 430 on my highest, and my cloak is only like 4 or 5.

The issue it's that ilvl don't tell you much these days. The things that make a difference between two people if same ilvl:
    - azerite neck level
    - wrathion cloak level
    - wrathion cloak corruption resistance
    - azerite traits chosen on helm, shoulders, and chest
    - which 4 essences are you running (or if less than 4 ouch), and which one is primary, and what rank 1 through 3 is each of them. Rank 4 is just aesthetic.
    - what corruptions are you running, and how good are you at dealing with the consequences based on the overall corruption after resistance
    - How are your stats balanced for the spec you are running? If you are assassination rogue, currently mastery is bad, versa kind of bad, haste great single target, crit great multitarget. An assassination rogue of ilvl 440 that's heavy into mastery will generally do a lot worse than one at 440 heavy into haste or crit. This stat preference will likely be different if that rogue switches to one of the other rogue specs, or a different class altogether. And not how i mentioned single target vs multi? For assasin rogues it changes gearing (such that i keep multiple pieces in the backpack for swapping), got other specs or classes it may not matter. Now that in M+ explicitly the game won't let you change any gear after the run starts so you have to think ahead what you want.
    - how familiar are you with boss and trash mechanics in each dungeon that you do? If you know which things are important to kick and which are not, if you know when to use a stun instead of damage move, where to stand and where not to stand, etc... You will be able to get higher number keys than if you do not.
    - do you have people to go with or do you have to pug. If you have to pug it may take a much longer time to get a group going than if you have 4 others that are ready to go, and as such you may get less runs in in the same amount of time.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

The base game is free.

It’s true, and there is a ton of base game. But if you want to play with friends regularly, the latest expansion seems practically mandatory.

I dunno, maybe other people’s friends aren’t all doing BfA endgame stuff all the time? Mine are.

Does anyone at all play in non-current expansion zones? Normally it's just people levelling alts and probably not even doing dungeons

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »

The base game is free.

Does anyone at all play in non-current expansion zones? Normally it's just people levelling alts and probably not even doing dungeons

There was a time of a few months or so where my wife would play for an hour every couple of weeks and didn't want to pay a subscription just got that so we leveled sub 20 alts together.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Every now and then blizzard releases statistics showing that something like half of active subscribers don't buy the newest xpac.

• Options
    So, Preach put a video about the stuff revealed so far while we wait for the Wednesday stream.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47kl85J9-CU

A couple of big points there:
    • There's five, FIVE different things that affect your class and spec. Base class, Covenant Class Abilities, Covenant Signature Abilities, Covenant Soulbinds (and Conduits) and Legendaries. Not only nobody knows how the hell they expect to balance it, but people are saying "well, they can balance it"...while at the same time, there's videos around of Rextoy one-shotting people on arenas by just going "Infinite Stars go brr".
    • There has been a lot of anger against raiders for "wanting to take away their RPG choices" by making covenants swappable. And...it seems like those players hate the other people also playing. On an MMO. They want the experience of a Bethseda game, and other people are on the way of it, so they get angry that other people dare to judge their performance (because when you play with others, how you play affects other people) and they have to do things like change their spec. (My personal opinion is that there's a lot of open world single player RPGs on the market, so why are you trying to take the game away from players that like MMOs?).

• Options
    I think end of expansion corruptions are not fair to compare to balance. They have done a thing where you get progressively more ridiculous power when a final raid drags on to keep it fun. They gave us corruption vendors knowing full well they were balanced around never really getting a full setup like that. Corruptions were always going to be overpowered from the getgo anyway. It was an extreme end of an experiment to give players power without worrying about it ruining the game (after years of them playing waaaaaaay too safe and it becoming boring as shit). It’s funny because almost everything leading to this point was giving players what they wanted.

I also don’t agree with the “your play affecting other people” being that huge of a factor. Yeah in competitive progression or top end difficulty sure, but the majority of raid groups do content where average performance or being at 75% of the top classes potential is more than enough to succeed. So you are not really affecting other people’s experience if choosing something somewhat weaker will not be the reason you fail. However, one can argue that being weaker due to choices feels worse, which is usually the important part of balance.

Still plenty of great points there. I’m also just giving opinion here, not saying he’s wrong. I feel like you can’t completely discredit the opinion that weaker choices should exist. There are still plenty of groups of players out there who don’t care if you are a min maxed and also have success. I still stand by the concept that if top end players are always going to pick the best option anyway, why the fuck do they care if other people are ok with bad choices? Removing choice changes nothing for the players who were never going to chose, while taking something away from those who don’t care.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    they'll balance things the same way they always do, which is to say that some stuff will be too strong/weak early on and by a couple patches in they'll have things mostly settled

one would think in 2020 we'd be over the idea that gameplay options should be locked behind 'RP' choices, but lord knows people are fucking dumb about that stuff

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I think there is value in trying to keep the RP alive, if only so that stuff like that is front of mind as they make design choices. But I also don't think it will be balanced and I hope they don't hesitate to make everything available to everyone to avoid that.

• Options
    they'll balance things the same way they always do, which is to say that some stuff will be too strong/weak early on and by a couple patches in they'll have things mostly settled

one would think in 2020 we'd be over the idea that gameplay options should be locked behind 'RP' choices, but lord knows people are fucking dumb about that stuff

Two things particularly bother me:
    • These same arguments about "immersion" were made against Dual Spec and eventually being able to just switch specializations at will. They were dumb then and are dumb now.
    • This is a completely artificial limitation that Blizzard created and can remove at will. They can decouple everything that has to do with player power from the transmogs/mission table at any moment and let people switch between the player power choices at will. Wouldn't put below Ion to try to sell that as a big 9.3 "feature" (much after they inevitably nerf Venthyr), which is why people are mad, because they don't want to wait until 9.3 to be able to have actual choices.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I also don’t agree with the “your play affecting other people” being that huge of a factor. Yeah in competitive progression or top end difficulty sure, but the majority of raid groups do content where average performance or being at 75% of the top classes potential is more than enough to succeed. So you are not really affecting other people’s experience if choosing something somewhat weaker will not be the reason you fail. However, one can argue that being weaker due to choices feels worse, which is usually the important part of balance.
    I guess you're lucky not to be running into people doing sub 20k damage in +8 pugs...

• Options
    All of these balance issues would be solved by Blizzard making more frequent smaller scale balance changes.

if a new balance patch came out at the end of every single month, and the type of changes it contained were just single-digit tweaks to various abilities and classes, I think that would be a much healthier place for the game to be.

I envision a world where every month contains things like; Reduced Fire Mage Mastery coefficient by 4%, Increased damage of Rising Sun Kick by 13%, Increased damage of Starsurge by 18%, decreased damage of Thunderclap by 7%

in a world where that type of balance patch happens on a monthly or even fortnightly basis, two things happen. firstly, naturally the game will tend to be more balanced because things are actually being changed more often than simply when a new raid comes out.

Secondly, it will have a powerful psychological effect on people who play less flavour of the month classes.

Right now, if you go into the first or second week of a new raid underpowered, and you don't get any significant balance changes after that first couple of weeks, chances are you can take it to the bank that you will not see any changes until the following raid release. This means that unless you are willing to be weak for many months, you may as well re-roll then and there because the likelihood of a mid tier balance patch is near zero.

If, on the other hand, you know that the next balance patch is never more than 2 to 4 weeks away, you'll find that people will be a lot less down if their class happens to be bad at any given time, because instead of staring down the barrel of 4-6 months of being weak, you're looking at 2-4 weeks of being weak, or maybe 8 weeks if it takes two passes to buff.

• Options
    Wholeheartedly agree. The Hearthstone team started doing that and it has been a breath of fresh air for the game.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    eh they have settled into a fairly consistent pattern of a mid-raid content/balance patches; I agree that it seems like they could do numbers tuning more frequently though, especially for the specs that're flagrantly underperforming

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    All of these balance issues would be solved by Blizzard making more frequent smaller scale balance changes.

if a new balance patch came out at the end of every single month, and the type of changes it contained were just single-digit tweaks to various abilities and classes, I think that would be a much healthier place for the game to be.

I envision a world where every month contains things like; Reduced Fire Mage Mastery coefficient by 4%, Increased damage of Rising Sun Kick by 13%, Increased damage of Starsurge by 18%, decreased damage of Thunderclap by 7%

in a world where that type of balance patch happens on a monthly or even fortnightly basis, two things happen. firstly, naturally the game will tend to be more balanced because things are actually being changed more often than simply when a new raid comes out.

Secondly, it will have a powerful psychological effect on people who play less flavour of the month classes.

Right now, if you go into the first or second week of a new raid underpowered, and you don't get any significant balance changes after that first couple of weeks, chances are you can take it to the bank that you will not see any changes until the following raid release. This means that unless you are willing to be weak for many months, you may as well re-roll then and there because the likelihood of a mid tier balance patch is near zero.

If, on the other hand, you know that the next balance patch is never more than 2 to 4 weeks away, you'll find that people will be a lot less down if their class happens to be bad at any given time, because instead of staring down the barrel of 4-6 months of being weak, you're looking at 2-4 weeks of being weak, or maybe 8 weeks if it takes two passes to buff.

I'm surprised, in the year 2020, that they need to make large sweeping changes to balance and can't tweak a number in their configs/database to fix it in 10 seconds.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    To be fair, the WoW engine is apparently an eldritch amalgam of damned code.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.