As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Senior Pranks - Now a terrorist act?

• Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    My senior year of high school, my district hired rent-a-cops with trained dogs to go sniff out drugs in people's backpacks. The specific procedure involved was retarded - they'd show up in a classroom, tell everybody to take off their jackets and coats, and leave all their outerwear, backpacks, handbags, purses, etc. in the classroom and then file outside. Even the teacher had to leave. Then the rent-a-cops would take about 10 minutes to circle the desks with the dogs looking for drugs.

I refused to do this. Despite my general sense of outrage at the whole concept, I had a genuine concern about the accuracy of the process. See, if I were a drug user, the first thing I'd do is surreptitiously take my stash out of my backpack and sneak it into somebody else's jacket pocket while they weren't looking. So I refused to let them do that so I left the classroom with my belongings in hand. Their reaction was, "We'll just take you to the principal's office and search you anyway." I said that was fine, at least then I know they won't find anything that's not mine. So they did.

Once I got there, they threatened me with arrest, told me that I'd given them probable cause to call the police, etc. Then the assistant principal said, "And I'm going to recommend you for expulsion." When I asked why, he pulled out of the Code of Conduct and pointed to a rule called "Willful Disruption of School Activities and/or Bomb Threat." This was the rule they used against people who liked to pull the fire alarm. I asked him how I was disrupting school activities, and he said "My time is a school activity. You're disrupting school activities by wasting my time."

They never did actually search my bag.

What a dick.

Snork on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the real lesson here is fuck Benson. You assholes were way too fucking good at Science Bowl. Additionally, this shit would not have happened at Grant, because it is packed to the brim with litigious, upper-middle-class parents.

Seriously though, while this is bullshit, it sucks, and those kids really need to get some good lawyers to put the smackdown on those admins -- is it surprising? I mean, modern American high school is basically just a big sorting machine. Do you play by the rules? Great! Here's your ticket to a middle class lifestyle. You don't? Oh, sorry -- here's a big burly man that's going to sodomize you with the mop you'll be pushing for the rest of your worthless life, scumbag.

Of course that's an exaggeration, but that is kind of how school administrators try to make it seem, sometimes. Oh, and of course in many parts of the country, school serves as a place to indoctrinate students with nationalism, etc.

Was learning ever a real part of public education? I wonder.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That is why no one likes assitant principals. Every school I've been to, the principal is awesome. The assitant principal is a dick.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aemilius wrote: »
    I mean, modern American high school is basically just a big sorting machine. Do you play by the rules? Great! Here's your ticket to a middle class lifestyle.

Yeah, that's kind of how I felt about it at the time, too.

I recognize now that being a high school administrator and dealing with uppity kids is a pain in the ass. They get no respect, from anybody, despite being in a position of authority. So when a kid comes along and flagrantly shits all over the rules, they react by asserting their authority in the most dramatic way possible. It's just that the most dramatic way possible now involves the T-word. They're trying to prove that they deserve respect, but they just come across looking very sad and small.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I mean, modern American high school is basically just a big sorting machine. Do you play by the rules? Great! Here's your ticket to a middle class lifestyle.

Yeah, that's kind of how I felt about it at the time, too.

I recognize now that being a high school administrator and dealing with uppity kids is a pain in the ass. They get no respect, from anybody, despite being in a position of authority. So when a kid comes along and flagrantly shits all over the rules, they react by asserting their authority in the most dramatic way possible. It's just that the most dramatic way possible now involves the T-word. They're trying to prove that they deserve respect, but they just come across looking very sad and small.

My mom was a high school teacher, so I got to know a fair bit about the secret, hellish machinations of that Dark Contraption that creaks and churns on the power of innocents' blood. Seriously, administrators really are dicks, almost unfailingly. To teachers, to students, to everyone. Also, they rarely seem to be competant.

I think it's one of those "what kind of person would ever take this job" scenarios. That is to say -- only assholes. It just attracts the wrong kind of person. People actually interested in teaching/getting kids to learn/making a difference/watched Stand and Deliver one too many times/whatever will stay teachers. Only the assholes with no real passion for the job, but who are willing to stay in a place they hate in exchange for more money and authority will become admins.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the real lesson here is fuck Benson. You assholes were way too fucking good at Science Bowl. Additionally, this shit would not have happened at Grant, because it is packed to the brim with litigious, upper-middle-class parents.

Seriously though, while this is bullshit, it sucks, and those kids really need to get some good lawyers to put the smackdown on those admins -- is it surprising? I mean, modern American high school is basically just a big sorting machine. Do you play by the rules? Great! Here's your ticket to a middle class lifestyle. You don't? Oh, sorry -- here's a big burly man that's going to sodomize you with the mop you'll be pushing for the rest of your worthless life, scumbag.

Of course that's an exaggeration, but that is kind of how school administrators try to make it seem, sometimes. Oh, and of course in many parts of the country, school serves as a place to indoctrinate students with nationalism, etc.

Was learning ever a real part of public education? I wonder.

We're sorry.

Not really.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    That is why no one likes assitant principals. Every school I've been to, the principal is awesome. The assitant principal is a dick.

We had like, six. And they were all dicks. My class got live senior-skits banned forever. They now have to tape them and submit them for approval before they can be shown, on penalty of like, drawing and quartering or whatever they put in there to shut parents the fuck up. It was sweet. The kids who did it made fun of the one assistant principal who had previously worked as an underwear model, and really really ripped on the snotty kids pretty explicitly. That was pretty awesome.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

We're sorry.

Not really.

Yeah, we were a pretty half-assed team. Surprising how well we did, considering. Heh. That was such an awesome crew of kids. Also, one year, the B team was 4/5 gay. Surprising, huh? Although, not really, considering it was Grant. Seriously, we (gay/bi) are a fucking infestation over there. Must be the theater program?

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Two primary sentiments:

1) Senior pranks are retarded, and often wind up causing a collossal waste of time and money, if not serious injuries. Seriously, cut it out with the pranks.

2) Terrorism? What? No.

MrMister on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited May 2007
    Again, I state: I hate this fucking country.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My senior year of high school, my district hired rent-a-cops with trained dogs to go sniff out drugs in people's backpacks. The specific procedure involved was retarded - they'd show up in a classroom, tell everybody to take off their jackets and coats, and leave all their outerwear, backpacks, handbags, purses, etc. in the classroom and then file outside. Even the teacher had to leave. Then the rent-a-cops would take about 10 minutes to circle the desks with the dogs looking for drugs.

I refused to do this. Despite my general sense of outrage at the whole concept, I had a genuine concern about the accuracy of the process. See, if I were a drug user, the first thing I'd do is surreptitiously take my stash out of my backpack and sneak it into somebody else's jacket pocket while they weren't looking. So I refused to let them do that so I left the classroom with my belongings in hand. Their reaction was, "We'll just take you to the principal's office and search you anyway." I said that was fine, at least then I know they won't find anything that's not mine. So they did.

Once I got there, they threatened me with arrest, told me that I'd given them probable cause to call the police, etc. Then the assistant principal said, "And I'm going to recommend you for expulsion." When I asked why, he pulled out of the Code of Conduct and pointed to a rule called "Willful Disruption of School Activities and/or Bomb Threat." This was the rule they used against people who liked to pull the fire alarm. I asked him how I was disrupting school activities, and he said "My time is a school activity. You're disrupting school activities by wasting my time."

They never did actually search my bag.

That is because legally they couldn't without your permission. They can search the lockers because those are school property. If a dog reacts to your bag or jacket, that might give probable cause for a police search (not sure about school officials or private security), but they are not allowed to search your person or your property. Even if you give your permission, they are in a position of authority over you, and, especially in a situation like yours, a case could be made that permission was only granted under duress.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dude, you go to Benson. If I were the administration I'd be afraid of a bombthreat too.

Seriously, how many stabbings are there a year at that school?

Sami on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That is because legally they couldn't without your permission. They can search the lockers because those are school property. If a dog reacts to your bag or jacket, that might give probable cause for a police search (not sure about school officials or private security), but they are not allowed to search your person or your property. Even if you give your permission, they are in a position of authority over you, and, especially in a situation like yours, a case could be made that permission was only granted under duress.

We spoke to an ACLU lawyer about the whole thing. The two salient points that came out of it were:

1) They did have the right to conduct a search of my backpack at any time they wanted, because for all intents and purposes the fourth amendment does not apply on school grounds.

2) It wouldn't matter, because a drug dog doesn't constitute a search.

They did say that they would be willing to lend legal assistance with the issue of expulsion, though. I ended up not getting expelled, either, but not because we lawyered up, mostly because we found a friend in the district supervisor's office who was as pissed about the drug dogs as we were and managed to get me off the hook.

Edit: what the ACLU lawyer said was that they have the right to demand a search, but they do not have the right to use physical force if I refuse. If I refuse a search, they should then call the local police department who have probable cause now to search me and use physical force if necessary. They said that the whole drug dog issue was separate, as it didn't constitute a search. They also said that recommending me for expulsion was probably a misapplication of the rule in question and they'd be willing to assist me in challenging that if necessary. This was all in 1994-95, so the case law may have changed since then.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited May 2007

We're sorry.

Not really.

Yeah, we were a pretty half-assed team. Surprising how well we did, considering. Heh. That was such an awesome crew of kids. Also, one year, the B team was 4/5 gay. Surprising, huh? Although, not really, considering it was Grant. Seriously, we (gay/bi) are a fucking infestation over there. Must be the theater program?

Man, almost makes me wanna rewind time. There was all of one out-and-out queer in my senior class besides me at Benson, and he had an annoying lisp and bothered me slightly.

Screw you, Grant. :(

On a side note: We had all of about one or two stabbings this year, and they all occurred outside of Benson to some poor black kid messing with the wrong crowd. Oh well, Holladay Park is right there and if you're messing with the gangs in the area you are bound to be killed.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

We spoke to an ACLU lawyer about the whole thing. The two salient points that came out of it were:

1) They did have the right to conduct a search of my backpack at any time they wanted, because for all intents and purposes the fourth amendment does not apply on school grounds.

2) It wouldn't matter, because a drug dog doesn't constitute a search.

They did say that they would be willing to lend legal assistance with the issue of expulsion, though. I ended up not getting expelled, either, but not because we lawyered up, mostly because we found a friend in the district supervisor's office who was as pissed about the drug dogs as we were and managed to get me off the hook.

Edit: what the ACLU lawyer said was that they have the right to demand a search, but they do not have the right to use physical force if I refuse. If I refuse a search, they should then call the local police department who have probable cause now to search me and use physical force if necessary. They said that the whole drug dog issue was separate, as it didn't constitute a search. They also said that recommending me for expulsion was probably a misapplication of the rule in question and they'd be willing to assist me in challenging that if necessary. This was all in 1994-95, so the case law may have changed since then.
    Nope, that's pretty much still it.

I think it's hilarious that we try to teach kids civics in this country by taking away all of their rights. Is it any wonder that something like 50% of high school students think the government should get to review and censor all news reporting?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Is it any wonder that something like 50% of high school students think the government should get to review and censor all news reporting?

:!:

Link?

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    Is it any wonder that something like 50% of high school students think the government should get to review and censor all news reporting?

Link?
    Here you go.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Three in four students said flag burning is illegal.
    D:

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    "Civics" (aka "Government") at my school was one semester and was taught by one of the worst teachers I've ever had. It seems like something a good teacher could get students fired up about but it seems like it ends up shit detail for the incompetents they can't fire due to tenure.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    The teacher who responded, like I said in the OP, Mike Ryan, was one of the best teachers I've ever had. Our Civics/Economics class made for a really great year.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    School administrations really are self-fellating machines. I go to a high school in Jersey with some of the worst offenders and the most bullshit rules.

We're a pretty diverse lot, at my school; mostly Indians and Asians run the elite crowd (that is, the quiet, 4.0 GPA, student council, diligent MUN enthusiast, tennis/track athlete group) while the rest muck around in the middle-to-pothead arena. This tends to generate more then a little resentment from quite a lot of people, especially the administration. They talk to the more ingrained, 'Americanized' kids with hells of more respect than they do with the Asians/Indians if any of them break a rule, or even come down to the nurse.

Also, if one of those smart kids breaks an arbitrary rule (such as missing gym for more than 3 days in a marking period, woop-dee-doo), he gets the same punishment as a repeat offender who skips almost 20 days to smoke pot on school property during school (you stupid fuck, I mean really, at what point did you ever think that was a good idea). For missing one day, they have to spend 60-120 hours of their summer sitting in the hot cafeteria doing paperwork. Ok: what? If you miss gym, shouldn't you be doing gym activities? And why should the person who actually doesn't fall behind in all the work required from school have to do the same amount of make up work as McSnorty Hightard over there?

Also: If you get sent home from school, it's counted as an unexcused absence. It's like landing an administrative job causes important brain functions--like logic and basic human social skills--to drip out the ass.
    I am currently locking antlers with the administration over this bullshit absentee rule. I am not wasting my summer doing that mindless stuff. I'm Iranian, not Indian, but I still get loads of shit.

Also, one of our Assistant Principals has taken to coming on the intercom after the 2-minute-to-homeroom bell rings and reciting his motivational speech to get people to homeroom faster. Sometimes he sings. It's terrible. Case in point:

A.P: "It's that time again! Imagine a world with no iPods, no cell phones, no talking and no complaining...a magical world sitting quietly in your classroom and listening to announcements....go to homeroom...go to that magical place..."
    Homeroom teacher: "I know that place, I think it's called 1984."

Fuck this school.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, I'm so glad I'm out of high school. We had lots of retarded crap like that back then too. One thing's for sure: I need to work my ass off so I can home school my kids and help them avoid this bullshit.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Three in four students said flag burning is illegal.
    D:
    Yeah, honest-to-god, I wish I was exaggerating that 50% figure. It's pretty ridiculous.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Jesus. That is really terrifying.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    WalriWalri Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Every year, the guy who teaches junior English at my Catholic high school has a Mauritius Day party, celebrating the small island of Mauritius. People bring coconuts, and he brings a machete, and makes with the "KI-AI!" while chopping them on a table (usually damaging the table as much as the coconuts). In the same class, birthday candles have been lit with a blowtorch (by a student who just happened to have one handy for the occasion).

You can't do this shit in a public school!

Oh, and people are allowed to bring in gun and knife catalogs if they feel like it. There isn't a lot of bullshit about joking about violence, etc. etc.

Walri on
    Truly Grim and Frost-Bitten Cooking Thread
    Walri: I made a sandwich and lemonade today, they were both disgusting. I don't know how I do it, I need my mom to get back from vacation so I can make her prepare my food.
    Iconslaughter: That was probably the most metal thing you've ever said.
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My entire four years of high school had the same sr. prank. Streaking down the third floor hallway to the back bathroom, where you can quickly get your clothes and out the gymnasium door without getting "caught".

It was pretty much lame, after the first time I heard about it.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In my final year we just snuck around at 3am putting Vaseline on all the door knobs, egging everything, erecting a mock student on the big crucifix in the courtyard with a condom for a head, putting flour on top of all the ceiling fans and putting a huge fuck-off fish in a wired-up locker that didnt get found until 3 weeks later when it stunk out the entire building.

I guess the flour could have been anthrax or something, but seriously, i know their reaction is totally uncalled for but when you do shit like that, you HAVE to consider your actions and be prepared for consequences. in the twitchy world that we live in, is it unreasonable for someone to consider it could be a bomb? admitedly, a stupid fucking person, but come on. what was the reason you put a buzzer in a locker for?

aquabat on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    If I refuse a search, they should then call the local police department who have probable cause now to search me and use physical force if necessary.

I'm pretty sure that's bullshit. I don't know about your physical person, but I know for a fact refusing a search of your car is not, in and of itself, grounds for probable cause. I'd assume the same applies in this case.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    aquabat wrote: »
    In my final year we just snuck around at 3am putting Vaseline on all the door knobs, egging everything, erecting a mock student on the big crucifix in the courtyard with a condom for a head, putting flour on top of all the ceiling fans and putting a huge fuck-off fish in a wired-up locker that didnt get found until 3 weeks later when it stunk out the entire building.

Wow, you created a bunch of problems for the janitorial staff. That's cool.

Senior pranks vary from obnoxious to dangerous: for a particularly poor example, a couple kids at my friend's school thought it would be hilarious to spread oil all over the auditorium floor. End result? Security guard falls and breaks his hip, and the oil eats through the varnish and the entire floor needs to be refinished.

Why is this part of our culture again?

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If I refuse a search, they should then call the local police department who have probable cause now to search me and use physical force if necessary.

I'm pretty sure that's bullshit. I don't know about your physical person, but I know for a fact refusing a search of your car is not, in and of itself, grounds for probable cause. I'd assume the same applies in this case.

I'd also be interested in reading the relevant decisions.

MrMister on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    aquabat wrote: »

Wow, you created a bunch of problems for the janitorial staff. That's cool.

Senior pranks vary from obnoxious to dangerous: for a particularly poor example, a couple kids at my friend's school thought it would be hilarious to spread oil all over the auditorium floor. End result? Security guard falls and breaks his hip, and the oil eats through the varnish and the entire floor needs to be refinished.

Why is this part of our culture again?

Because most people don't have any respect for shit that isn't theirs? I've never been one for vandalism, anyway. Violence, yes; not vandalism.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Link?
    Here you go.

I'll be damned. The Timecube guy was right.

We ARE educating our children retarded.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Someone once set off a pepperspray bomb in a locker in my high school. They were caught. They were not punished as harshly as the people in the OP. And what they did was much closer to actual terrorism than putting a buzzer in a locker.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Well, apparently the situation is a little different for minors on school grounds.

Not that I know the case law, it was over 10 years ago. I was 16, I wasn't asking the lawyer for his sources.

Feral on

• Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I graduated last year and as a senior prank one of my friends went to school at like four in the morning the morning of the last day for seniors, took down the American flag, and replaced it with a pirate flag that said "Surrender the Booty!" on it.

It was funny, everyone got a kick out of it. That is until, because a lapse of judgement I suppose, my friend returned the American flag a few days later by freezing it in a block of ice in a cardboard box, writing "A gift from me to you" on the box, and leaving it in the school parking lot. First police came, then choppers, a bomb squad, and eventually the FBI. My friend went right away to turn himself in, got cuffed and was in jail for a few hours before his parents bailed him out.

He was in and out of court for months, and eventually all charges were dropped. It's a pretty ridiculous story though.

bruin on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The reason it's being treated so harshly, I guess, is because the administration believes it's some sort of underground high school senior terrorist cell

Ahahahahaha.

Ahahaha.

Haha.

Has anyone let the administration know that they're ridiculous jackasses?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    RE: Bullshit rules:

My school has a zero-tolerance policy on fighting. There's a fight, it doesn't matter if you only swung back to save yourself, you're getting suspended along with the kid who made you bleed internally. I got suspended a few weeks ago for fighting. Fine, I was in the wrong, I hit back. Fine.

Get back to school three days later. "Wiggin, did you hear? Dave just got a warning!"

What. The kid admitted to hitting first, another student said he hit first, even the teacher saw him get the last hit in (Only three hits in this fight, I got the middle one), and yet, only I got suspended. If it wasn't so late in the year, I'd be raising a stink, but with 10 days left, it's just not worth it.

Re: Senior pranks:

The trick is to find something not particularly harmful, yet still funny. My current plan is to buy a shit-ton of fake flowers, and stick them all over the baseball field.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »

My school has a zero-tolerance policy on fighting. There's a fight, it doesn't matter if you only swung back to save yourself, you're getting suspended along with the kid who made you bleed internally. I got suspended a few weeks ago for fighting. Fine, I was in the wrong, I hit back. Fine.

Get back to school three days later. "Wiggin, did you hear? Dave just got a warning!"

What. The kid admitted to hitting first, another student said he hit first, even the teacher saw him get the last hit in (Only three hits in this fight, I got the middle one), and yet, only I got suspended. If it wasn't so late in the year, I'd be raising a stink, but with 10 days left, it's just not worth it.

His parents probably called the school and talked about lawyers. The kids whose parents could afford to do that at my high school never got in real trouble for anything (even when the kid himself was willing to take the heat).

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007

His parents probably called the school and talked about lawyers. The kids whose parents could afford to do that at my high school never got in real trouble for anything (even when the kid himself was willing to take the heat).

Let me rephrase: He did get in trouble. That trouble was, he missed science, because he was sitting in In School Planning. That means, you sit there, write down what you did wrong, why you did it, and how you'll change that behavior in the future. For me, it's at the point where I detest it not as punishment, but because you can be sent there for the most arbitrary shit. I've been sent, this year, for loudly telling someone to leave me alone, and then "talking back to the teacher" when he yelled at me for being loud (This really consisted of me trying to tell him what had happened, so he would have a little context, and then he accused me of riling up the class. Yeah, asshole. I have nothing better to do than get made fun because of shit that happened 4 years ago.), and I've been written up before for not shaking a kids hand. Not making that one up.

So, yeah. The kid who started the fight got a slap on the wrist. His parents weren't even notified right away, as the school doesn't have to unless you're suspended. He was back in class half an hour later, and I got a three day vacation.

Seriously, my rant about the bullshit that is ISP could be it's own fucking topic, and the handshake story could be its own post. That plan is still in my folder, with no signature on it.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Whenever one of my boss' sons gets less than a B in anything, he calls the school and just yells at people -- the secretary, the teacher, the principal, anyone who'll listen -- until he gets that C or whatever turned into a B.

His words, literally: "My son is a good student. If he's getting a C then clearly the teacher is the problem."

It is truly amazing to watch this man literally get whatever he wants by yelling. If I'd known about that trick I would be halfway through university already, instead of working for that douchebag for two years on account of my 74 grade average.

Azio on