That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    break up with her... IN HALF!
    the relationship that is, not her
    BAH GAWD

sig.gif
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    If you're making a pound of pasta, they typically recommend 4 quarts minimum, at least if you're using the traditional boil water, dump pasta method.

For the cold water method, you use a LOT less.

But that won't work with long pastas like spaghetti.

They seem to actually recommend closer to 6 quarts of water per pound of pasta from what I've read but that's fucking crazy to me.

They recommend that much because they're trapped in the past. The rationale behind that was that if you used a ton of water, you wouldn't reduce the temperature of the water by adding room temp pasta to it because there'd be so much more water. Nowadays, depending on the pasta you're making and the cooking vessel you're using, the rules are a lot less specific. You can get away with putting your pasta in your pot and just barely covering it in water, heating it rapidly until the water comes to a boil, and cooking it for about 2 minutes short of what the package says is al dente. Then you can add your cream sauce or your marinara or your cheese and milk or start making your roux or what-the-fuck ever, and it will still make a nice, thick sauce, because the remaining pasta water has taken on a bunch of starch from the pasta you boiled in it. Then cook it for just another minute or two to finish up the noodles and let it reduce a bit more.

The only things I wouldn't recommend this method for are, like, carbonara, caccio e pepe, etc. Those really minimalist dishes are best done the way they've been done forever.

This is what I meant by "cold water method" - which is my preferred method of cooking pasta because it's fast and still very precise. Thoughtless, doesn't use that much water - it's perfect...

...except it doesn't really work for spaghetti. It works for small pasta types that fill all available nooks and crannies in a pot, but I'm not sure how to make it work for something like spaghetti, linguine, etc.

Get a long narrow metal serving bowl, like you find in a subways. Any kitchen supply store should have them, or amazon.

These are called Hotel Pans, by the way. They're sized in fractions.
    pan-size-layout.jpg

So if you go to amazon and search "third hotel pan" it should find what you're talking about

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I've always cooked spaghetti by letting them soften into the pot, wasn't even aware that was not a universal way of cooking them. I think I'd need to fill my biggest pot to the literal brim otherwise...

And also another kettle boiler here. Generally by the time I'm boiling the water I've finished all the prep and don't want to wait +15 minutes for a large amount of water to boil, so I preheat a kettle while I prep, then start cooking with that amount as I heat the second one to top it up. That way I can get to the "this is boiling, but not boiling over, safe to look away" stage quickly and fuck off out of the kitchen for a while.

Glal on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I've always cooked spaghetti by letting them soften into the pot, wasn't even aware that was not a universal way of cooking them. I think I'd need to fill my biggest pot to the literal brim otherwise...

And also another kettle boiler here. Generally by the time I'm boiling the water I've finished all the prep and don't want to wait +15 minutes for a large amount of water to boil, so I preheat a kettle while I prep, then start cooking with that amount as I heat the second one to top it up. That way I can get to the "this is boiling, but not boiling over, safe to look away" stage quickly and fuck off out of the kitchen for a while.

I've never seriously considered cooking spaghetti by letting it soften into the pot because I just snap all of the noodles in half before I put them in the pot. It does absolutely nothing to detract from my enjoyment later while eating, and makes everything fit in the pot perfectly. Allowing me to fuck off out of the kitchen for a while sooner.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The big brain play for being able to cook long spaghetti in a regular pot is to make your own spaghetti.

Big brain and big effort, anyway.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sometimes, if I'm feeling very fancy, I buy spaghatti that's been coiled into loose knots before drying.

Mostly because it seems bougie as fuck but I guess it also helps with the whole cooking thing now I think about it.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I usually buy my spaghetti in the form of small tubes and then I cover them with a powder cheese slurry.

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Supermarket started stocking pretzel rolls of various types, hot dog, hamburger, sliders, etc. Nathan's hot dogs with honey sriracha on pretzel rolls are pretty good. Maximum efficiency for me was a pseudo fresh pasta like buitoni with sauce in the microwave for 2 minutes. Angel hair, white clam sauce, and enough parmesan to put off most people makes a great meal. Tagliatelle (pasta coils) is the only type I can find for spinach fettuccini anymore around me, makes a tasty base for alfredos.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Sometimes, if I'm feeling very fancy, I buy spaghatti that's been coiled into loose knots before drying.

Mostly because it seems bougie as fuck but I guess it also helps with the whole cooking thing now I think about it.

There's a small fresh fruit and vegetable store up the road from us that has very nice pasta, including spaghetti that is packed curled up into little loose knots. And it's only slightly more expensive than the supermarket pasta!

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    I bring you a dire warning, Bad Food thread. I was buying honey to have with my morning oatmeal and picked up a brand that was blended with flaxseed oil, since flaxseed oil is supposedly a good source of omega-3. Easy way to eat a little healthier, right?

Luckily before I squeezed it onto my breakfast I had a little taste on a spoon, and it went about this well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph3QowmTZ3k

It's just bafflingly awful, I'm going to have to throw the whole bottle out. What a tragic waste of what, I'm sure, was once some very good quality honey. Once again, humans have thoughtlessly ruined the hard work of bees.

There's an ass-load of household honey producers around my place, there's like three just on Kalamunda Road. We can get you some really nice honey, and flaxseeds can stay in hell where they belong. There's also a bloke who sells vacuum-packed fresh fish on Fridays, we'll get you some god-damned Omega-3 too!

You sweet man, you're all the honey I need!

(Seriously though, no need to go to the trouble. The IGA in Applecross has a really good selection of local honeys so I'm sorted.)

• FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I usually buy my spaghetti in the form of small tubes and then I cover them with a powder cheese slurry.

Sounds Krafty

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That trick with the kettle and the hot pot is actually a trick that Jamie Oliver uses often in the fifteen minute dinner recipes book.

I mean, sure the recipe is done in fifteen minutes, but the amount of kitchen gear he tends to use to get there is just a whole load of dishes.

But the boiling kettle into the pot on the stove thing is one I've stolen. It also helps me that I've got an induction stovetop, so my pots of water boil pretty quick anyways.

Made cookies with the kid yesterday. Used tynic's chocolate chip cookie recipe, added cocoa powder, choc chips, m&ms, and dried cranberries, at the instruction of the child.

She's getting really good at remembering which steps need to happen, and which ingredients come next. "mum, you need to add the egg now. Mum, did you add the vanilla? I can taste that we forgot the salt, mum."

And we've now graduated to the point where she wants the beater even we're done, to sit and happily much on cookie dough while I scoop cookies.

If which, she is also opinionated about, I like larger cookies, but she wants smaller ones "so I can fit them in my mouth all at once, mummy."

I'll be lucky if she doesn't start dictating how many chips each cookie must have.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    But the boiling kettle into the pot on the stove thing is one I've stolen. It also helps me that I've got an induction stovetop, so my pots of water boil pretty quick anyways.

Are all induction the kinds that only boils the pot?

After years of dealing with an electric coil stove in or condo our house has gas, but I really just want an induction.

MichaelLC on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You can buy a quality induction pad for pretty cheap. Seems like a bit of a luxury when I've got a whole stove sitting there, but I've been considering picking one up for better temperature control when I need it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Are all induction the kinds that only boils the pot?

After years of dealing with an electric coil stove in or condo our house has gas, but I really just want an induction.

Like, it won't turn on of there's nothing on top of the burner. If I pick up the pot, the magnets pause. If I leave the pot off for about a minute, the entire thing turns off.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yeah that's the stuff. Thanks.

I think just plain glass cooktops always throw me - like just because it's glass doesn't make it an induction, but all induction tops are (basically) the same

MichaelLC on
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Tuna pizza is so good. Dominos pizza is so bad.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hmmm, I always take my "pizza cheese" with cellulose...

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I feel a little bad for Americans. Not a LOT bad, because you have like 69 different pizza chains, so fuck it, just use a different one, but Aussie Dominos is honestly fairly decent.

Obviously, your local pizza place will probably be significantly better, but for like $8 (with a voucher {that they mail to you every week so it may as well just be the regular price}), it's actually hard to beat a Dominos pizza for price/quality/amount of food value. Like, $8 is what a "good" supermarket frozen pizza costs, and they're not even in the same league as a Dominos "traditional" range pizza like a Godfather, BBQ Meatlovers, or Vegorama.

We have a better quality pizza chain franchise called Crust, and their stuff is obviously another step up in quality and price, and then you've got your typical local pizza parlour, and then again another step above THAT you've got your artisanal trendy expensive pizza restaurant (here in W.A. that would be Theo&Co.), but honestly for someone who isn't quite what you might refer to as a "foodie", Dominos is genuinely an option that most won't actively turn their noses up at, because it's good enough for cheap enough.

I typically get their "peri peri chicken" pizza with a couple of modifications about once a month because I get it with a garlic bread and that makes two meals for me, for well under $20.

I also typically have a cheap $5 supermarket frozen pizza in my freezer in case of tiredness and laziness after a long day, I can just bung it in the oven and 12 minutes later I have enough food to put me in a carb coma even if I have to add a spiral of sauce to make it taste better.

My biggest complaint about Domino's down here is that mushroom pizza is not considered a standard pizza. You've got to do a plain cheese and then add mushrooms (at two dollars per topping) or get a veggie pizza and remove all the other toppings.

The only chain down here that has mushrooms standard is Sal's. Which is ostensibly a NY pizza place.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    This is everyone's reminder of the bizarre fact that Dominos Aus has by far one of the best malted vanilla thickshakes I've ever tasted

My biggest complaint about Domino's down here is that mushroom pizza is not considered a standard pizza. You've got to do a plain cheese and then add mushrooms (at two dollars per topping) or get a veggie pizza and remove all the other toppings.

The only chain down here that has mushrooms standard is Sal's. Which is ostensibly a NY pizza place.
    UK pizzas are pretty stingy when it comes to toppings. I'd consider stuff like sauce, cheese, mushrooms and olives to be a base, and then you can add (or remove) toppings to build on that, not luxuries you need to pay for extra if you want your pizza to be more than just a thin red layer, cheese and whatever one topping your type of pizza has.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Theres a restaurant near my apartment that has this banging garlic cilantro sauce and when I went in today they had the bottles for sale for $5.99 and if you bring the bottle back they refill it for a $1.

Ya'll this is a good ass day

• UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I had kraft dinner for lunch and it isn't agreeing with me today.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Well thats probably because you had Kraft Dinner instead of Kraft Lunch for lunch and your body knows

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Are bicycle drive troughs at McDonald's a thing in other countries? They're doing ba big marketing push with that here right now. I guess pandemic plus the push to appear more ecologically conscious that happened over the last years.

honovere on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Are bicycle drive troughs at McDonald's a thing in other countries? They're doing ba big marketing push with that here right now. I guess pandemic plus the push to appear more ecologically conscious that happened over the last years.

Bringing "eat like a pig" to a whole new level.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I could not disagree more chr1s, I have had Dominos exactly twice in my life once in Aus and once in the US (about 20 years apart mind you) and in both cases they were inedible swill that gave me instant indigestion. The whole company should be arrested for pizza crimes.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Fast food places normally don't take non-motorized vehicles or walk-ups to drive through windows due to insurance reasons.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Dominos is the only pizza that I will not eat even if free. It was disgusting and made me sick.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I could not disagree more chr1s, I have had Dominos exactly twice in my life once in Aus and once in the US (about 20 years apart mind you) and in both cases they were inedible swill that gave me instant indigestion. The whole company should be arrested for pizza crimes.

Dominos only use for me is that they delivier coke 2 litres pepsi has slithered its way into all mynlocal favorites so I usually order 2 bottles from them and their cheese bread then real pizza elsewhere

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

They're only indegestible to you because of your bougie Australian guts and intestinal biome! Maybe if you were more like the common American, you wouldn't have any problems!

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

They're only indegestible to you because of your bougie Australian guts and intestinal biome! Maybe if you were more like the common American, you wouldn't have any problems!

No even my Patriot stomach cant tolerate that jank

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Domino's is pretty bad pizza but I will still stuff it into my face until I'm so full breathing hurts

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Had Dominos for dinner the other night, only the 2nd time since moving here 2 years ago. And yup, the pizza sucked, again. Yanno hoping that since the deep dish was not great, hoped the regular would do better. But some combination of the cheese and sauce was not good? I remember thinking, as I was eating it, that this pizza is lucky that I’m starving and there is not anything else to eat that wouldn’t take at least a few hours. Bleh.

Our local pizza places have been disappointing to me as well. One that I used to love when I lived here last time, was really so subpar I almost called to find out why.

50433.png?1708759015
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I like the spangler cherry candy canes

Peppermint candy canes are for suckers.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    If the white stripes aren't mayonnaise flavoured I'm not interested

This discussion has been closed.