As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I have bought like 5 games in the past 2 weeks, a PS5 and a new treadmill. Why are you guys doing this to me? *starts looking up Hades*

I’ve ordered 3D All Stars, Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity, 3D World plus Bowser’s Fury, Star Wars Squadrons, several Shantae games from Limited Run games AND a 1up Arcade Golden Axe machine.

But I don’t blame others for my decisions. ;)

Alright you win this round.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    I have bought like 5 games in the past 2 weeks, a PS5 and a new treadmill. Why are you guys doing this to me? *starts looking up Hades*

I’ve ordered 3D All Stars, Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity, 3D World plus Bowser’s Fury, Star Wars Squadrons, several Shantae games from Limited Run games AND a 1up Arcade Golden Axe machine.

But I don’t blame others for my decisions. ;)

What's going on this month? My monthly game budget is usually pretty low, but I've bought two switch games, a ps4 game, and some accessories for xcloud as well. I need to slow down.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I saw Star Wars mentioned and instantly my mind went to the Super Star Wars trilogy on SNES.

Man, those games would be a rights nightmare these days, on a par with the old Ninja Turtles games.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I just got credit for buying 3D All-Stars on the site, but on the pin reward it says "COMPLETE! Reward codes will be available Sept. 21 at 12pm PT." So still a little longer wait to go...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Ack, don't got credit for buying All-Stars on MyNintendo yet. I want them pins, Ninty! GIMME

Same I'm worried the pins will be gone!!!

Nobody gets credit for the Mario Kart event until the 29th, anyway

I didn't think you needed that. Thought it was just 4/5 missions, and buying the game

Oh yeah you actually don't, huh.

Tbh I really wish Nintendo would do more of this. It's like Slayers Club almost except with actual prizes and thought put into it.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just got credit for buying 3D All-Stars on the site, but on the pin reward it says "COMPLETE! Reward codes will be available Sept. 21 at 12pm PT." So still a little longer wait to go...

Yeah, I've completed 5/6 too (no iOS Mario Kart) and got the same message.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    The way it's worded makes me think that you'll have to hit a button somewhere to get the code, so just be aware of that possibility when the date hits.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    This Hades game is pretty slick, huh

Just one more run...

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I'm actively staying away from Hades this weekend because I know I'll start playing and suddenly it will be morning and time for work again.

It's like a time machine that only goes forward.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm dreading starting it up again because of that Bone Hydra. Its such a drag.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Been playing Mario Galaxy. Going back to that game is so comforting. The adapted motion controls work but they feel a little awkward at times. I’m glad Nintendo moved away from games that rely on gimmicks like that. Controlling Mario with the analog stick is fun, pointing at stuff really isn’t. The spin always should have been a button press. I think I agree with the theories as to why we didn’t get Mario Galaxy 2 in the collection. The Yoshi stuff just wouldn’t work in handheld mode. It’s too bad there are games that probably won’t escape the Wii and Wii U because of the motion control anchor.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm dreading starting it up again because of that Bone Hydra. Its such a drag.

I have an easier time with Bone Hydra than Meg.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’m playing Super Mario 64 again via Super Mario 3D All-Stars and it strikes me as odd that they never let you fight the true villain of the game.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    I’m playing Super Mario 64 again via Super Mario 3D All-Stars and it strikes me as odd that they never let you fight the true villain of the game.

Man's inhumanity to man.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Man's inhumanity to man.

Or: The camera.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

Man's inhumanity to man.

the camera koopa thingy?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I just get into Monster Hunter in the past few months and now we've got a new MH title on Switch only.

Fuck yes.

• Options

Man's inhumanity to man.

What do you mean, you can't fight it? Aren't you fighting the camera for the entire time you're playing?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I just get into Monster Hunter in the past few months and now we've got a new MH title on Switch only.

Fuck yes.

It looks so good... and I look forward to seeing them iterating more from MHW. Palamutes are adorable.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    How approachable is Monster Hunter Generations on Switch? I tried one of them on the 3DS and it was ok, but it didn't click enough for me to really dig into beyond like an hour or so and then play sometime else.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    How approachable is Monster Hunter Generations on Switch? I tried one of them on the 3DS and it was ok, but it didn't click enough for me to really dig into beyond like an hour or so and then play sometime else.

It's going to be roughly the same as the 3DS ones, honestly. It's hard to recommend. I have fun with it, but only because I really dug World.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Hades is goooood. I’ve only beat Meg twice. Just unlocked the gauntlets. I can feel it getting kind of repetitive, though.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

It's going to be roughly the same as the 3DS ones, honestly. It's hard to recommend. I have fun with it, but only because I really dug World.

Looks like I have that one on Game Pass. I'll give that a try and see if that version clicks, I just figured the portability would be a better fit for me to get into the series. I don't really remember why the 3ds one didn't click, I just saw that sale price and thought maybe I should give it another go 😄

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    OK, someone describe this Hades game to me. I hear good things, but haven't had much love for prior games by Supergiant.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Man's inhumanity to man.

What do you mean, you can't fight it? Aren't you fighting the camera for the entire time you're playing?

Fair point!

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    To me it wasn’t until Odyssey that the camera stopped being a bother.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    OK, someone describe this Hades game to me. I hear good things, but haven't had much love for prior games by Supergiant.

If you didn't like Supergiant games then obviously you have no taste and wouldn't like this one anyway. :so_raven:

But seriously though the gameplay is an arcadey twinstick style roguelike, like Bastion but faster paced. The main draw is that if you die it doesn't really make you feel that you died to stupid random bullshit like roguelikes are wont to do(hi SotS: The Pit), but because you typically just need to practice/progress more. Unlike most roguelikes however the characters and story are interesting, it's humorous, and has a unique art style. It's very much a "just one more game" type of game.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Been playing Mario Galaxy. Going back to that game is so comforting. The adapted motion controls work but they feel a little awkward at times. I’m glad Nintendo moved away from games that rely on gimmicks like that. Controlling Mario with the analog stick is fun, pointing at stuff really isn’t. The spin always should have been a button press. I think I agree with the theories as to why we didn’t get Mario Galaxy 2 in the collection. The Yoshi stuff just wouldn’t work in handheld mode. It’s too bad there are games that probably won’t escape the Wii and Wii U because of the motion control anchor.

Actually I think it was because Mario Galaxy was already ported in HD to the Nvidia Shield (same hardware as Switch) for release in China only. So the work was pretty much already done and they could focus on farting out emulators for Mario 64 and Sunshine. This whole endeavor just screams "very small budget" to me. I would bet they didn't even think about Galaxy 2.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Actually I think it was because Mario Galaxy was already ported in HD to the Nvidia Shield (same hardware as Switch) for release in China only. So the work was pretty much already done and they could focus on farting out emulators for Mario 64 and Sunshine. This whole endeavor just screams "very small budget" to me. I would bet they didn't even think about Galaxy 2.

I suppose, especially when you look at how much love was put in to something like the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection. I wish Nintendo cared half as much. Night and day difference, really.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    How long is the intro to Hades? It’s nearly 1AM but I only have time to check it out. Will pass on tonight if there’s like 20 minutes of tutorials.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    How long is the intro to Hades? It’s nearly 1AM but I only have time to check it out. Will pass on tonight if there’s like 20 minutes of tutorials.

There isn't a tutorial per se, it just goes into your first run. If you need to stop, die on purpose.

• Options

There isn't a tutorial per se, it just goes into your first run. If you need to stop, die on purpose.

Thanks!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Couldn’t you just Sleep the console and pick it up later?

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    -Loki- wrote: »

Couldn’t you just Sleep the console and pick it up later?

Yes. And also when you enter any room it auto-saves and you’d pick up from that point.

Very pick up, play, put down friendly.

But yeah, you just go RIGHT into fighting stuff instantly. When you die, there will be some story stuff but you’re not locked into a long thing.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    You forgot to mention I’d be instantly addicted to it and now it’s 3AM. :)

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

The Switch game is a rerelease of the 3DS game Monster Hunter XX, which itself is a expanded version of Monster Hunter X (called generations in the US), which is an expanded release of Monster Hunter 4, which is probably the 3ds game you played.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    The best part of Hades is that it's a roguelike but the constant dying is built into the story and you progress regardless of if you're dying a lot. Certain upgrade points stay with you even after you die, and as you go you build strength that makes things easier until you finally (presumably, I haven't gotten that far yet) escape hell, which is the goal of the game.

Dialogue also changes when you return to Hades manor(which is basically just your hub that you upgrade as the game progresses, unlocking new rooms and abilities) based on what you did during the previous run. For example if you die from a spike trap someone will mention that to you and talk about how tricky they are, or if you killed certain bosses they'll be chillin in the hub when you respawn talking about how they'll make sure to stop you next time. There's a lot of situational dialogue like that, the Olympic gods who are trying to aid you in escaping hell by giving you powerups will bring up how you are near death if you have low hp and will say things like "please don't die I need you to make it through this" as they bless you. All that type of stuff is laid on top of a robust combat system with lots of variables and modifiers involved that is very fun and addicting to play.

Also you can pet the dog, and the dog is Cerberus.

Edit: I should also mention that the dialogue is really, really good. It has a comedic, playful vibe almost like a saturday morning cartoon, so it's worth it to go through and listen to all the new bits of dialogue when they pop up.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Looks like I have that one on Game Pass. I'll give that a try and see if that version clicks, I just figured the portability would be a better fit for me to get into the series. I don't really remember why the 3ds one didn't click, I just saw that sale price and thought maybe I should give it another go 😄

Rise is going to basically be the "portable" version of World if things seem to track from previous entries in the series. So a lot of the quality of life improvements in World should also be present in Rise. We'll have to wait and see for some hands on impressions but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Playing Mario 64 for the first time since it came out is such a weird experience. It's easy to forget that this game was pretty much the first to do 3D right, and it absolutely blew minds. Think of the audiences who saw the first movies over a century ago and had a train rush toward them. It was fun from the get-go, and while it's aged, it's managed to hold up when at least 90% of games from that generation are now considered unplayable.

But man, it feels like a wonky Chinese knock-off nowadays. Everything looks slightly off, from Mario to the Goombas. The fonts and visuals on the UI are so rough -- the images on "power" look like something from a freeware game you'd get with breakfast cereal in the 90s. I know Nintendo was fumbling in the dark, but woof.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The only real-time I put in on Mario 64 was the weekend it launched. We were friendly with the guy who worked at Home Vision Video and managed to get to rent one of the first consoles they got along with Mario and Pilotwings. My wife (then college girlfriend) and I blew off a temp job we had binding recipe books for the West Virginia WIC program just to play it all weekend together. I have no idea how far in we made it, 3D movement with analog sticks was still something new so I remember just trying to cross narrow bridges had us cursing up a storm, but it was definitely a great weekend. We'll probably cave and buy at least one copy when we see it.