As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    xenoblade games are not merely solid, they're really great

They're more than great, you just have to be aware of what you're getting. Super JRPG, with all the things that come with that, and unique combat systems and they're loooooong. Also the second is extremely anime in design (and I suppose in plot and such), and the whole blade system is a type of RNG not all people would enjoy.

Still, that aside (EDIT: by which I mean, if the buyer knows what they're getting into), they are the among the best JRPG's period; let alone just on the Switch.

Still hoping for a port of XCX, with ideally a cleaned up narrative...but just the way it was I suppose would be fine too.

I put over 200 hours into Xenoblade 2 before I felt like I was sufficiently 'done' with it. So.... clear your calendar.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    That red box one IS the newer model with the longer battery life right?

Also is just me or does Hades suck

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    the battery juice up very quickly?

Drez on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    No it definitely sucks

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    all my time up

like wtf it's 2am already???

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    It definitely swal-

Actually I’m done with this gag.

Wait that didn’t help either.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Really once you get out of exclusives, Switch is mostly old ports and indie games. And there aren't too many 3rd person action exclusives, although tons of last gen ports of such.

Though to be fair, a lot of indie games just feel right at home on Switch. I’ve got Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight and Dead Cells on PC and Switch and they just feel better playing on Switch.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Oh right I got my Link's mixed up. I meant that new cellshaded one that looks like Wind Wake but isometric. That's awakening right?

I couldn't play 101 because the pro controller on wii u literally broke my hand and I found I cannot use controllers with analogue sticks in that position.

I got it on pc a couple of months back, still running through it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh right I got my Link's mixed up. I meant that new cellshaded one that looks like Wind Wake but isometric. That's awakening right?

I couldn't play 101 because the pro controller on wii u literally broke my hand and I found I cannot use controllers with analogue sticks in that position.

I don’t mean this in a ride way, I’m just genuinely curious, but how did a controller break your hand?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If any official pack-in controller can break someone's hand, it would have to be the Wii U gamepad.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    It definitely swal-

Actually I’m done with this gag.

Wait that didn’t help either.

All I said was Candlejack I don't see what the big

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I don’t mean this in a ride way, I’m just genuinely curious, but how did a controller break your hand?

It's a long story, but look up finger lock (trigger finger). It's probably rsi caused, but I got it after playing bayo2 with dodge on l2. Happened to my little finger. It was locked closed, I could only open it with the other hand pulling the finger straight.

Ever since I've had to be careful of using l2 (and mashing l1) in games, and for some reason analogue sticks being in the high position aggravate the rsi and start hurting after a while. Both at once murder my hand pretty quickly, so I've concluded that both were a cause.

Fortunately I haven't had an episode of trigger finger since then, since I'm careful, and avoid things that cause aggravation and ache in my hand.

I remap a lot of controls nowadays so l2 is only ever used for stuff used infrequently. It really annoys me when a game doesn't allow remapping.

I tried an elite controller a while back, and my hand started hurting (had to return it). I also got ache when I first got the switch and was using the joycons, so I had to get the 3rd party controller. So I've since realised analogue sticks in that position are just a no go. I don't get this problem with dual shocks.

If it helps for understanding, I have a twist in my forearm, so my hand rotates more than usual in one direction and less then normal in the other. I suspect this is the root cause of the issue, but it's a problem that can't really be fixed. Just managed.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Xenoblade games are great but they are brutally and without an ounce of shame 100% Anime and you need to accept that and all that it entails going into them.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    Xenoblade games are great but they are brutally and without an ounce of shame 100% Anime and you need to accept that and all that it entails going into them.

0r00xo5nv6nh.jpg

Bumps them higher up the list.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I love the Switch e-shop.

I mean I absolutely adore the Switch e-shop.

As someone who hasn’t spent a great deal of time on Steam or other digital storefronts, it’s hard for me to tell how unique my experience truly is, but I love just browsing and seeing some new-to-me thing that is clearly not as market-tested, streamlined, or genre-obvious as most physical releases tend to be. There are some real homespun oddities out there that clearly have some heart. Not all, of course, but many.

There’s also been some other things, like this sequel to a game that came out in...*checks notes* 1987:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6S87jtnZGH0

I just, wow. I dig the unapologetic, legit ugliness of the aesthetic and how it’s preserving a look that was due to technical restrictions once upon a time but now is a series aesthetic. More of this, please. More surprises.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Age of Calamity livestream is live:

https://youtu.be/U3zN3yJuP10

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Impa doing the full Naruto with it.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I put over 200 hours into Xenoblade 2 before I felt like I was sufficiently 'done' with it. So.... clear your calendar.

Yeah... I really loved Torna, as my first exposure to the series, and played it for close to 50 hours.

Then picked up XC2 digitally on sale, and spent ~120hrs doing everything (minus KOS-MOS, who I never got, and any post game challenges. And any of the DLC Blades, as I gave the code away on here when I got Torna, expecting to not play the main game). XC:DE was 90hrs, and Future Connected a pretty quick (for me) 13hrs.

Lately I've been getting the urge to do a New Game+ of Torna too...

//

I'll mention that the reason I started with Torna was that I had heard it was a brisk ~30hrs. Historically, while I've loved JRPGs conceptually, anything longer than a Pokemon burns me out and I have a lot of unfinished ones littering my childhood. Eventually I learned better and just stopped playing them. XC2 especially, despite people saying it was one of the early gems of the Switch, was intimidating because people would frequently make jokes about how you were still getting combat tutorials forty hours in.

What I found though is that the Xenoblade games, while having good over-arcing stories, are really good for just sitting down and dicking around in for an hour or two at night. They're full of exploration. Also, I love the system of allowing you to spend quest experience at your leisure: I never felt over-levelled, and the odd time I seemed under-levelled I would never need to go grind. It's great!

I even like 'Tiger! Tiger!' in XC2 (once I watched a video explaining it better).

//

Oh, and the music is astoundingly good.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Aaaand here's the english trailer:

https://youtu.be/kkYzYWsRLks

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Japanese devs and publishers can make trailers no problem but the way they present their games to a Japanese audience will always be unimaginably terrible and inefficient. I assume it's a traditional thing or that it just appears unprofessional or classless to not have someone talking to and reacting to the company reps or something.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    Japanese devs and publishers can make trailers no problem but the way they present their games to a Japanese audience will always be unimaginably terrible and inefficient. I assume it's a traditional thing or that it just appears unprofessional or classless to not have someone talking to and reacting to the company reps or something.

Hai

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Aaaand here's the english trailer:

https://youtu.be/kkYzYWsRLks

People were theorizing about young Impa and the little egg-lookin’ Guardian as playable.

They were absolutely right.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

It's a long story, but look up finger lock (trigger finger). It's probably rsi caused, but I got it after playing bayo2 with dodge on l2. Happened to my little finger. It was locked closed, I could only open it with the other hand pulling the finger straight.

Ever since I've had to be careful of using l2 (and mashing l1) in games, and for some reason analogue sticks being in the high position aggravate the rsi and start hurting after a while. Both at once murder my hand pretty quickly, so I've concluded that both were a cause.

Fortunately I haven't had an episode of trigger finger since then, since I'm careful, and avoid things that cause aggravation and ache in my hand.

I remap a lot of controls nowadays so l2 is only ever used for stuff used infrequently. It really annoys me when a game doesn't allow remapping.

I tried an elite controller a while back, and my hand started hurting (had to return it). I also got ache when I first got the switch and was using the joycons, so I had to get the 3rd party controller. So I've since realised analogue sticks in that position are just a no go. I don't get this problem with dual shocks.

If it helps for understanding, I have a twist in my forearm, so my hand rotates more than usual in one direction and less then normal in the other. I suspect this is the root cause of the issue, but it's a problem that can't really be fixed. Just managed.

Man, that’s rough. I’m sorry you have to deal with that. Although not the same thing, I’m assuming at some point in the future, my gaming time will have to end due to decades of hand/arm strain from gaming.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Both my index fingers curve inward drastically from what I can only assume is growing up with heavy L2 and R2 use

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Maybe they confirmed this during the livestream, but one thing I notice just from the trailer is that Daruk also seems to use the Stasis power from the Sheikah Slate in his moveset. People were theorizing that Zelda's moveset would be Sheikah Slate-driven, but that may actually be a common element and who knows how Zelda will actually fight.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    If you wanted to see behind some of the two-dimensional wizardry that makes Ori and Wisps run so well on Switch, here's DF commenting over quite a bit of footage of the dev's tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH6wTpIObxE

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Yeah, HAC-001(-01) is the newer model.

I jumped on that myself. My current Switch is repeatedly turning off attached controllers, and I don't want to send it away for maybe weeks and have to pay a full repair fee. I've had it long enough that just buying a new one feels okay.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    jothki wrote: »

Yeah, HAC-001(-01) is the newer model.

I jumped on that myself. My current Switch is repeatedly turning off attached controllers, and I don't want to send it away for maybe weeks and have to pay a full repair fee. I've had it long enough that just buying a new one feels okay.

Yeah, this is partly because of the new battery and partly because of Joycon disconnection issues.

I’m really dreading transferring saves over.

I agree with you on the “it’s okay to buy a new console at this point.” Mine is a launch preorder console. The thing that gives me a little pause is that I just preordered a PS5, Xbox Series X, and Quest 2. I just bought the Apple Watch Series 6 and I plan on upgrading to the iPhone 12 next month. For some reason it’s the Nintendo Switch here that has made me confront my recent decadence.

Drez on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    If you wanted to see behind some of the two-dimensional wizardry that makes Ori and Wisps run so well on Switch, here's DF commenting over quite a bit of footage of the dev's tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH6wTpIObxE

I just came here to post this.

It is super cool. Seeing how the game is put together, how they test performance (not just on switch) and some of the areas they found to find gains in, without sacrificing much at all visually, is just neat.

And it makes it all that much more impressive. Not just the Switch port, which is absurdly impressive; but just the amount of work and planning and testing and thought, that was put into designing and testing the game. The tools they made themselves for it, and such. Makes me curious what comes next, after their next gen upgrades.

Seems to me you don't make such sophisticated tools unless you're planning on using them long term.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I guess its because I’m more or less dropping 300 bucks for ~2 additional hours for undocked play time. Though I think when you’re talking about 2.5 hours for certain games vs 4.5, it’s a relatively significant difference. Almost double the undocked playtime.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    There can be something to be said for trying to stay a little ahead of the replacement curve if you can afford it. I know it's only a game console and not a necessity of life but it's sort of like getting a new car before you absolutely drive the wheels off of the first one, before you REALLY need it. And if you don't sell the older one, now you have an emergency backup (or a hackable one).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    People seriously underestimate how convenient it is to have two Switch units. It pretty much takes like a second and a half to go from playing a game on one switch to playing the exact same game at the exact same spot on the other with all save data intact (if you have NSO, that is).

I used to do it with an extra OG I had before I sold it, and now I do it with my OG and my Switch Lite (which seems tailor made for the experience tbh).

Edit: that is, two switch units for one person and one account. From what I've heard trying to navigate things with two people is a nightmare.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    My brother bought a switch lite a few weeks ago decided he did not want a switch gave it to my mom for 50$ she gave it to me then he went and bought another switch lite.

I'm.. very confused

• Options
    Different color?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if Stardew Valley was patched on the Switch to reduce the saving time? I seem to remember it being a really long time between days.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Stardew Valley was patched on the Switch to reduce the saving time? I seem to remember it being a really long time between days.

That was one of its very first patches

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’ve been playing on both Switch and PC and the save times are basically the same.

• Options
    Playing hades.

Dying a lot because i suck

Have yet to hear a repeat dialog from death it's been a new one each time.

Mind blown

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Here is the Target listing for the Game & Watch. Pre-orders are listed as "coming soon" so watch that space.

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-game-38-watch-super-mario-bros/-/A-80893936

Edit: and here is Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-game-watch-super-mario-bros-/6428471.p?skuId=6428471

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    Playing hades.

Dying a lot because i suck

Have yet to hear a repeat dialog from death it's been a new one each time.

Mind blown

It will easily be 50+ hours before you really start noticing looping dialogue.