As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - We Should Talk, Before I Forget & Beyond a Steel Sky out today!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Friendly reminder that the dude behind Supraland is pro Germanic New Medicine (he's selling books about it) and claims that there has been no convincing evidence that vaccines work

this is just so

tiresome

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Yeah it would nice if people just dont.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    For those who haven't grabbed the C&C remaster yet, I come to report that, yes, not only is the DOS graphical installer still there, it's also been completely redone in high-def. I haven't even started the game yet and it's already the best remaster/remake of all time.

There's also a Westwood Studios splash screen and I have a very tiny tear out the corner.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »

Heads up @mere_immortal, @Drez and @vegeta_666.

You all have this wishlisted. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Bug squashing post! Picked up Mechanicus a bit ago, seems really cool!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Me: I'm always so lazy about my base in Terraria, let's make it look nice for once
    Me after 30 minutes of trying to make the first part symmetrical: let's not

• Options
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If I was going to do Jackbox with my homies (who are across the country), what is the lowest latency streaming option to get my stream out to 3 or so other people?

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    if the chat program you're using has screenshare, that's the fastest

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Discord is nicely set up for this, but you do need to get people to download the client. Can't videoshare in the webapp.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    if the chat program you're using has screenshare, that's the fastest

Turns out discord has this so I'll give that a try. Thanks!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My friend streams from his PS4 over Twitch and that works pretty well. Make sure either everyone is using headphones, or that only one person has the game volume up so you don't get a ton of echoing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    oh look at the time, it's spooky o'clock

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    My friend streams from his PS4 over Twitch and that works pretty well. Make sure either everyone is using headphones, or that only one person has the game volume up so you don't get a ton of echoing.

Yeah we jackboxed remotely last weekend and just used zoom or hangouts or something so we got no game audio. Twitch or another service geared towards game streaming would be best for capturing the audio directly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yeah I jacked all over my box on a zoom call last month and it was a lot of fun, we had like 7 people doing it too!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    "Remote jackboxing" sounds like something out of William Gibson's early college drafts.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's important, while you are jacked on to the world wide net, to jack off every hour for 15 minutes

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    km7udqie7odx.png

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    "Remote jackboxing" sounds like something out of William Gibson's early college drafts.

Isn't remote jack boxing what they did in demolition man?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Isn't remote jack boxing what they did in demolition man?

No, they went to Taco Bell not jack in the box

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Started chapter 3 in RDR2
    I was so worried the game was going to make me murder that immigrant family.

Arthur's been starting to seem really depressed the last few missions. I know the game is probably going to go to some bleak places but I hope he's not just gonna turn into a total downer.

I haven't really done much exploring, only really going where missions have sent me. I'm assuming it's fine to keep on like that and I won't be missing loads of shit by not getting out and exploring the whole map early on.

I've not done much hunting or crafting yet and I haven't even started half the challenges, like horse riding, survivalist, bandit, because it doesn't tell you what to do to start them.

There's 6 chapters right? Are they all the same sort of length? Apart from chapter 1 obviously.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    supposedly there's a bunch of PS4 exclusives coming to PC soon, in addition to Bloodborne.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Is Spider-man in those rumors?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Well we know about Horizon Zero Dawn

I was kinda excited to play the naughty dog games but the more I hear about the latest one the less interested I am.

a port of new God of War would be neat.

Brolo on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I was kinda excited to play the naughty dog games but the more I hear about the latest one the less interested I am.

Wait, is what we know about Horizon Zero Dawn that it is coming to PC?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I beat Strife yesterday.

It's an interesting game. Definitely ambitious, but the design is bogged down by annoying enemies and a weapon selection that felt like it was missing some key firearms and it definitely suffers for it. There's no real shotgun type weapon until LATE in the game, and even then it's not that great. You'll rely heavily on the machine gun because it's the only hitscan weapon for a LONG ass time and it's the best long range weapon in the game, so you're almost always hurting for ammo for it. (I should have bought more, really) There's a crossbow that felt useless, micromissiles that were okay, but felt weaker than most games missiles, a grenade launcher that was super powerful but hard to deal with (and has alternate napalm ammo that basically turns a given area into an impassable inferno for what feels like way too long), a flamethrower that's pretty powerful, an energy weapon that functions like a super shotgun but doesn't really feel great, and a weapon you build up over the course of the game that gets more and more powerful, but also uses health as ammo.

There's an micro-RPG system, that lets you increase your health and accuracy as you play through the game, so you REALLY suck at hitting things early on. the beginning of the game was easily the worst part when I'm stuck with only a handful of weapons that I can't hit anything with. Aiming can be a real pain in the ass in this game. Hitting stuff on the ceiling is sometimes impossible and hitting things at long range, outside of the machinegun, is likewise ridiculously difficult. Most enemies have some sort of annoying trait (walking on the ceiling, powerful hitscan attacks, being a walking tank) and combined with the weapons, I can't really recommend the combat in this game. At least not on the second hardest difficulty. Also, SPEND YOUR MONEY! There really isn't any reason to save it as I learned. Also boo on whoever decided the weapon that uses health is the only thing that can hurt the boss and then offer no healing during the bossfight. Boo I say!

The game does do some neat stuff. You can stealth your way through levels (Though I rarely did). AI is so stupid you can knife a dude to death next to his buddy, and even if his buddy notices you and shoots you, nobody else will. Meanwhile if you fire off a single shot it feels like the entire level goes hostile. It's the doom engine in 1996 so I'll cut it some slack. The game is almost open-world issue, with a central hub you use to go visit other maps that are unlocked as the story progresses, but you frequently can go back to these areas when you feel like it and can sometimes do stuff out of order. There's a story with NPC's and voice acting and an actual plot, though a lot of the bigger plot points didn't really feel like they were expressed well and I just had to infer. This game builds a bit on what Dark Forces accomplished. Areas look a tiny bit closer to the things they're supposed to be instead of just abstract levels, you have mission objectives (though no way to track them) and a voice in your ear giving advice.

It's a neat piece of gaming history and I'm glad Nightdive was able to put out a modernized version of it. I'll likely be taking a break from old shooters for awhile because Satisfactory is out next week and I imagine I'm going to get completely lost in that for a good long time.

• Options
    Iolo wrote: »

Wait, is what we know about Horizon Zero Dawn that it is coming to PC?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151640/Horizon_Zero_Dawn_Complete_Edition/

Yeah, summer 2020

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Lars wrote: »

Yep, pretty sure I saw a Spiders-Man. Also dad of war and some others I didn't register as I scrolled past.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Started chapter 3 in RDR2
    I was so worried the game was going to make me murder that immigrant family.

Arthur's been starting to seem really depressed the last few missions. I know the game is probably going to go to some bleak places but I hope he's not just gonna turn into a total downer.

I haven't really done much exploring, only really going where missions have sent me. I'm assuming it's fine to keep on like that and I won't be missing loads of shit by not getting out and exploring the whole map early on.

I've not done much hunting or crafting yet and I haven't even started half the challenges, like horse riding, survivalist, bandit, because it doesn't tell you what to do to start them.

There's 6 chapters right? Are they all the same sort of length? Apart from chapter 1 obviously.

iirc the chapters vary a bit in length, I think the challenges are generally things that are there to give you a bit of free-roam structure, it's been a while but I'm not sure if all of them are specifically introduced. I know I did spend an entire in game day in a saloon playing cards to get the bust out 3 players challenge though.

The story will take you to all corners of the map so if you want to explore that way I expect you shouldn't miss anything but it's hard to say for sure because I was riding all over the shop and only grudgingly moving the story forward when I pretty much ran out of other things to do

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

Yep, pretty sure I saw a Spiders-Man. Also dad of war and some others I didn't register as I scrolled past.
    If I remember correctly, Spiders-Man is from a parallel universe, and is in fact a swarm of spiders that devoured Peter Parker and were imprinted with his mind and personality in the process, becoming a hive-mind. Masquerading as a human hero, he eventually falls into the "a monster I am, and so a monster I shall be" mindset.

What I'm saying is that I want an actual Spiders-Man game.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm considering just trying to get through the story and then doing a second game where I do all the challenges and stuff. But I know this game is super long so maybe that's a bad idea.

Tried catching a wild horse for the first time earlier but it just ran away. I tried lassoing it like you would in RDR1 but I kept running out of stamina really quickly. Not really sure what the process is in this game.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm considering just trying to get through the story and then doing a second game where I do all the challenges and stuff. But I know this game is super long so maybe that's a bad idea.

Tried catching a wild horse for the first time earlier but it just ran away. I tried lassoing it like you would in RDR1 but I kept running out of stamina really quickly. Not really sure what the process is in this game.

buy it a drink first maybe

look at you jumpin right to the lasso

• Options
    RDR2 is as awfully pretty, as advertised. I've played for a couple of short sessions, just finished the hunting tutorial. The controls and menus all seem willfully hostile to the player, but maybe I just haven't played a console port in a long time.

One thing I think I'm going to have to change is the horse controls. It makes some sense that hitting S on foot will make you do a quick 180 and start running toward the camera, but I don't think I'll ever convince my brain that it should mean "saw the reins as hard as you can in a random direction, but preferably toward the river or cliff you were trying to avoid in the first place by hitting S." Just rein in, Arthur, jesus.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    i insist that we all cow-person together and commit cow-person crimes

• Options
    RDR2 is as awfully pretty, as advertised. I've played for a couple of short sessions, just finished the hunting tutorial. The controls and menus all seem willfully hostile to the player, but maybe I just haven't played a console port in a long time.

One thing I think I'm going to have to change is the horse controls. It makes some sense that hitting S on foot will make you do a quick 180 and start running toward the camera, but I don't think I'll ever convince my brain that it should mean "saw the reins as hard as you can in a random direction, but preferably toward the river or cliff you were trying to avoid in the first place by hitting S." Just rein in, Arthur, jesus.

it seems like a game that is very much oriented around you using a gamepad

particularly with having things like analog sticks/triggers for controlling walk/run speed

• Options
    I might take you up on that when I stop punching my horse while trying to figure out how to mount up.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I might take you up on that when I stop punching my horse while trying to figure out how to mount up.

no that's the correct way

fuck that horse
    it seems like a game that is very much oriented around you using a gamepad

particularly with having things like analog sticks/triggers for controlling walk/run speed

i gotta say the gamepad ain't much better

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    no that's the correct way

fuck that horse
    I mean, yeah, I think that's what's going on here.

This discussion has been closed.