As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - We Should Talk, Before I Forget & Beyond a Steel Sky out today!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Yup, it's coming on the 9th, and Out of The Park Baseball 21 is available today: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/01/coming-soon-xbox-game-pass-july-2020/

However, a bunch of games are leaving on the 15th:
    Blazing Chrome (Console & PC)
    Dead Rising 4 (Console & PC)
    Metal Gear Solid V (Console and PC)
    Timespinner (PC)
    Unavowed (PC)
    Undertale (PC)

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Someone on another forum just said "hey, I have a really specific weird request for a game" and I was tensing up for a description of like, he wants a visual novel about accountants who are also big-titted rabbit girls who fight zombies, but instead he goes "I was just rewatching The Goonies and Indiana Jones a couple weeks ago and I realized I wanted to play a game where you explore some kind of ruin and there are lots of traps and puzzles and riddles to solve. Not just physical stuff like dodging boulders but like, finding the right spot on the map, or moving mirrors around, or playing a tune on a piano to open a secret wall. I don't want a game of only one kind of puzzle like Portal, and I don't want some abstract game of puzzles without context, either."

And it occurred to me, reading that, that holy shit I have almost no idea where to find a game of that incredibly straightforward thing you find in fiction all the time.

Like, what is there? There's Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis from thirty fucking years ago. Uncharted and Tomb Raider games are more action-y (or now, more survival-y). Ditto Prince of Persia. Heaven's Vault is a great game with the right kind of theme but it's mainly got the one kind of puzzle.

The Secret World had moments like this, where you had to do actual real-life research or happen to know Morse code or how to read music, but those (genuinely amazing) sequences had hours and hours and hours of the shittiest MMO combat imaginable in between them.

I can think of a few adventure games, like the Gabriel Knight series, that have parts that fit the bill, but those are just parts (and typically at the end of the game). Maybe the Broken Sword series? I never played those.

It's really weird. I'd never thought about this before and now the difficulty I'm having asnwering his question bugs the shit out of me.

The Council doesn't quite match, it's more of a Telltale style choices and story focused game, but it does have a couple of big set piece puzzles while you are exploring a secret Illuminati mansion.

They're all pretty unique, and the thing I like most about them is that a few of the more difficult ones don't lead to a game over, but just branch the story if you fail them, so it's more of a sense of accomplishment to pass them, and also less likely to send you out looking for a walkthrough.

The first episode is free, and the whole season is on sale for $7.50 for another week!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    oh hey its page 69
    Ayyyye Lmao Blaze it :alien_with_doobie:

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So how is sea of thieves laundering money? Pirate bandana skins? Oooo Pirate banana skins and different cronch sounds?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    yeah La Mulana is probably close to what that person wanted, extremely cool puzzle adventure action platformer

i think the puzzles in la mulana are just way way too hard.

I think La Mulana 2 is better in that I only had to look up one thing while playing it. At least I assume it's better, because I definitely haven't gotten better at puzzles.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Wasn't Sea of Thieves lambasted for not having anything to actually do in it? What changed?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Wasn't Sea of Thieves lambasted for not having anything to actually do in it? What changed?

They added stuff to do.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

There was plenty to do, it was just very generic and forumulaic, and there was no progression system tied to it. The game was basically a Pirate sandbox, something you can dick around with.

They've been adding more stuff to do over the years, but its still that.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    They No Man's Sky'd it. Better than Final Fantasy 14'ing it, probably.

My little brother enjoys it. Lots of overlap of co-op fun shenanigans in an open world that most games targeting tweens. In its initial state, there was enough to do if you made your own adventures, but now there's real meat and substance to it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Neat!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

I'm really impressed at the lengths they'll go to keep this game going

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

I'm really impressed at the lengths they'll go to keep this game going

everything except make it good apprently

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    How was dead rising 4? Might play it while it’s free

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    For anybody who has checked out Signs of the Sojourner:

How long is a run in that game?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

My first took me about four hours, and my subsequent runs have each been about three.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

it was ok. better than 3 anyway

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

My first took me about four hours, and my subsequent runs have each been about three.

Cool beans, thanks!

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    oh hey its page 69

ayy
    3wq8ji5y3be6.jpg

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    yeah La Mulana is probably close to what that person wanted, extremely cool puzzle adventure action platformer

I think La Mulana 2 is better in that I only had to look up one thing while playing it. At least I assume it's better, because I definitely haven't gotten better at puzzles.

do you remember which one?
    was it "we will hear the extent of your incanted silence"?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    oh hey its page 69

ayy
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/00/3wq8ji5y3be6.jpg

Where'd you get that picture of me

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

it was ok. better than 3 anyway

Agreed

There's a decent amount of fun to be had with all the combo weapons and vehicles and the process to make them is streamlined. And you can alsn get a power armor suit. Worth a spin for free anyways

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Oh, is that true? I got a lot of enjoyment out of the amount of La-Mulana that I was able to play, but that game is uncompletable. I got to a point where I had like three or four mostly-unexplored areas open to me with zero ability to figure out how to advance in any of them, zero ability to distinguish between areas which were hypothetically completable at that point in progression from ones that weren't, and no amount of looking at looking at guides got me to the end of any bottleneck; it seemed like every step in every puzzle in every area was impossible to divine from tht point onward.

I didn't even really look at the sequel because I assumed I just wouldn't have the mental fortitude for it. But maybe that was a bad assumption?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    A few months ago a streamer I watch was going through La Mulana for the first time, and had another streamer providing hints on top of what the game provided. Myself and a few others familiar with the game were helping to craft those additional riddle style hints, but they weren't really needed as far as "the game never tells you" concerns go. Mostly we were reminding him of stuff he already read and thought about. All puzzles and special tricks are described in the game, be it via NPCs or things you use the handscanner on. The only two things people need to know about La Mulana to succeed at it, which aren't spoilers, are:

1) read and maintain info you're given; keep notes if you have to
    2) the hints are written in-universe, they're not going to tell you "PRESS A AT POINT X" like most video games do because those games are written by hacks

That said there's one, just one, hint actually goes away permanently in the game, and it's fucking dumb that it does.
    It's one of the hints you get from Mulbruk. The game has a hidden 'points' system in place. Every time you get points or meet some threshold, Mulbruk will tell you a new hint; but it's possible to accomplish a few things in a row and skip a hint entirely, very easy to do casually.
    I'm trying to remember which hint it is specifically and I'm forgetting. I play the game on speed-rando runs now so I just... kinda forgot.

Edit - I really really like that the lore of the game as you're reading things are written in-world like that by the way. It's not done anywhere near enough in video games. The only other recent example I can think of is Breath of the Wild for one of the shrines you have to unlock via a subquest. Specifically the one where you have to find the tablet pieces.
    The tablet mentions having to go kneel. The game doesn't tell you to enter stealth mode to do this. It's something you have to realize Link does when you hit the stealth button and stay still. This is a good thing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    If it was either just involved puzzles or just action platforming, it probably would've been alright, but my brain wasn't gonna deal with both so I never got that far in La Mulana.

Zxerol on
  • Options
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just found out the US Army has an eSports team for propaganda recruitment reasons, including a Twitch channel. Anyway the internet is doing what it does best. A tale in four images;

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya the military has been involved in esports for a while. I wanna say Cloud 9 has been sponsored by the US Air Force for a couple years.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I just found out the US Army has an eSports team for propaganda recruitment reasons, including a Twitch channel. Anyway the internet is doing what it does best. A tale in four images;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KvYpGWxLYlw

the army has has a succesful game studio for like 20 years now

the second or third edition of the game had you fill out your full address during sign up, and then they'd send recruitment catalogs to your house without telling you

I ended up getting one in Canada!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if you have a hobby you bet your ass the army is trying to figure out how to convince you to die for them in it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KvYpGWxLYlw

the army has has a succesful game studio for like 20 years now

the second or third edition of the game had you fill out your full address during sign up, and then they'd send recruitment catalogs to your house without telling you

I ended up getting one in Canada!

I played the third edition with a buddy of mine for awhile, it was fun sometimes. But the crowd that played seemed like 33% cool, 33% racist chuds, and 33% silent types that might as well have been robots

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I knew about America's Army when it first started. Is it really still ongoing? That's kinda scary.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I wonder if it's developed like in house

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    there have been a few iterations of America's Army and i believe another one is supposed to be in development

and yeah the military has an in-house game dev studio (though i'm pretty sure other studios have been involved with ports and maybe some iterations?)

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Oh wow I actually got me old beta league account back I thought they would have ignored me cause I called their password protection shit

Granted it was their fault it got stolen

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Celeste
    B-Side Flag 9 has taken the "worst puzzle" trophy. I'm still not sure how I did that.

the tutorial crow showing up was unexpected. This new move seems really specific, and very late to be teaching me something.

Tamin on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Neo Cab was very good and very heavy and i'm glad I didn't hit a fail state because I would have just stopped playing instead of starting over.

• Options
    Celeste
    finished B-side Summit. Nerve-wracking at the end. Putting spikes on the blue/pink blocks is just mean. Well over 1300 deaths, easily a record.

found the Emerald. Not sure how I overlooked the passage the first upteem times, but whatever. Should be all the hearts, unless there's some in the Core, but considering the front door needed four blue hearts to unlock, I suspect there are not.

speaking of the Core ... *sigh* an "escape the rising lava" sequence? really? At least there's an interesting twist with the ice / fire switches.

almost there? Maybe?

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Oh wow I actually got me old beta league account back I thought they would have ignored me cause I called their password protection shit

Granted it was their fault it got stolen

Update game is way to zoomed in and plays like ass that's why I'm a doto nerd

Was cool seeing all my stuff but dunno dotas just the best moba imo

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
This discussion has been closed.