As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    I know there's no KS linking, but Gamefound crowd funding an Awaken Realms coop space exploration game called ISS Vanguard. Anyone know about it or have an opinion?

i am skipping it; AW doesn't have a good track record for gameplay

Oh? I thought Nemesis was well received? I only played it once and wasn't bad.

its not bad but its not great either. i think their best is this war of mine

I feel like Nemesis is the kind of Amerithrash-style game that's as good/as much fun as you make it.
    If you can get into the story of the game unfolding and enjoy building a narrative around what's happening (and don't hang yourself up on how you feel about the rules), then it's a pretty awesome time!
    I backed with a local group for Lockdown and a couple expansions and am really looking forward to playing it with my group. Ya know...when that's possible...

I think Nemesis kind of has some roguelike energy, you have to be willing to accept that sometimes the ship is just going to blow up on turn 3 because you didn't aggressively manage fire. And it's backstabby enough that I can see it bouncing pretty hard off many groups. We had fun with it back when fun wasn't cancelled, with a group that played a lot of Battlestar Galactica.

I look at ISS Vanguard though and I'm like, even when I have a table again, this isn't ever going to hit it, and the different-faced dice that are all the same color jumped out at me immediately as a red flag.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I know there's no KS linking, but Gamefound crowd funding an Awaken Realms coop space exploration game called ISS Vanguard. Anyone know about it or have an opinion?

Ha. I played that once too. Two teens tried to rob us. We disarmed them. Their gang came back and murdered us. Great game. Would play again.

YOUTHS

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    antherem wrote: »

I feel like Nemesis is the kind of Amerithrash-style game that's as good/as much fun as you make it.
    If you can get into the story of the game unfolding and enjoy building a narrative around what's happening (and don't hang yourself up on how you feel about the rules), then it's a pretty awesome time!
    I backed with a local group for Lockdown and a couple expansions and am really looking forward to playing it with my group. Ya know...when that's possible...

I think Nemesis kind of has some roguelike energy, you have to be willing to accept that sometimes the ship is just going to blow up on turn 3 because you didn't aggressively manage fire. And it's backstabby enough that I can see it bouncing pretty hard off many groups. We had fun with it back when fun wasn't cancelled, with a group that played a lot of Battlestar Galactica.

I look at ISS Vanguard though and I'm like, even when I have a table again, this isn't ever going to hit it, and the different-faced dice that are all the same color jumped out at me immediately as a red flag.

I like both Nemesis and Lords of Hellas, warts and all. With Gen7 on hold due to Coronavirus for my group (Gloomhaven translated better to remote play) I was eyeballing ISS Vanguard, but I haven't formed an informed opinion yet. It does sound like - as with a lot of their other games - there are probably more systems than content.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Auralynx wrote: »

I like both Nemesis and Lords of Hellas, warts and all. With Gen7 on hold due to Coronavirus for my group (Gloomhaven translated better to remote play) I was eyeballing ISS Vanguard, but I haven't formed an informed opinion yet. It does sound like - as with a lot of their other games - there are probably more systems than content.

From what I've seen of Tainted Grail and Etherfields lack of content is not a problem. The mechanics to see all the narrative content being a grindy drag, that certainly seems to be an issue.

Their less storytelling driven games seem to have been better received over all. I've only player The Edge: Dawnfall personally, which I think is a great 2p skirmish game. It's hindered by being wildly overpriced, and saddled with a lot of Kickstarter cruft that gets in the way of the core skirmish gameplay (weird story driven campaigns, a weird solo mode, a weird coop mode, a bunch of add-ons no one would ever need, etc etc).

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

From what I've seen of Tainted Grail and Etherfields lack of content is not a problem. The mechanics to see all the narrative content being a grindy drag, that certainly seems to be an issue.

Yeah. That's pretty much what I was getting at. Awaken Realms seems to specialize in piling a heap of baroque systems and options on top of a light-to-moderate actual game.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Looks like @Magic Pink paid me a visit today and dropped off what i imagine used to be an end table!
    tl3b3mkvmgcw.png

Some good stuff in here and nothing I already owned either. The only one I've even played before is XCOM. Thanks, for the goodies pink!

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Galaxy Trucker is a joy. You're in for a good time once humans can stand within an arm's reach of each other again.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    wait isn't iss vanguard the thing they're just crowdfunding now?

what sorcery is this!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I fucking love Galaxy Trucker. It is so much fun! If you get new players into it, wait to introduce the expansion packs. 4 new players is hair raising enough in the base game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Looks like @Magic Pink paid me a visit today and dropped off what i imagine used to be an end table!
    tl3b3mkvmgcw.png

Some good stuff in here and nothing I already owned either. The only one I've even played before is XCOM. Thanks, for the goodies pink!

That is a pile of excellent and very fun failure generation systems.

• Options
    wait isn't iss vanguard the thing they're just crowdfunding now?

what sorcery is this!

You may, if you're a Pratchett fan, have heard of L-space?

I think we can conclude that Pink has accessed BG-space due to sheer density of accumulated cardboard.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    You’re a saint Pink, and I’m very glad you weren’t dead that time you dropped off the forum for months on end.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I fucking love Galaxy Trucker. It is so much fun! If you get new players into it, wait to introduce the expansion packs. 4 new players is hair raising enough in the base game.

Yea the expansions exclusively make things worse for everyone involved. It's needed and great once everyone solves the base game, but things are bad enough when you start out the base game that you don't need to make it harder and more complicated in top of everything else.

• Options
    You’re a saint Pink, and I’m very glad you weren’t dead that time you dropped off the forum for months on end.

:redface:

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    A friend of mine on FB posted some pictures of X-Wing miniatures. They just got into the game and are having a blast.

Then I remembered how much I miss playing the game, so I got nostalgic and checked out my pre-2.0 ships.

2o64lbb7a5r1.jpg
    d7utp7a6nlnv.jpg
    yzapb4w57l2e.jpg

Ship lists:
    Rebel ships include: x3 X-Wings, x3 A-Wings, x1 Z-95, x2 Y-Wings, x2 B-Wings, x1 E-Wing, and x1 HWK-290.

Imperial ships include: x5 TIE-Fighters, x1 TIE Bomber, x1 TIE-Defender, x1 TIE-Advanced, x3 TIE-Interceptor, x1 TIE-Phantom, x1 Slave 1, x1 Lambda Shuttle, and x1 VT-49 Decimator.

Sigh.... :sad:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I have those same cases!

I also miss playing. I have an empire 2.0 kit I never even opened to swap the stuff in the case out.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Yup sold all my X-wing except for the big cinematic ships which I display. Hadn't even opened the cases since before 2.0. It was a great game, but I just didn't have the folks around to play it.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have one of those cases and a larger yellow/black case full of Rebel and Scum ships, plus whatever loser Imperials I had to pick up for equipment cards.

I probably would've bought into 2.0 but it launched after my FLGS closed and the group I played with ended up at a store that would've been a 1-hour post-work drive for me, so that wasn't happening.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    We just finished the tutorial dream in Etherfields and the game was a success. Everyone thought it was very interesting and were excited to see what the next dream will be like. Biggest low point was only clumsy English.

so up yours susd

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    To be fair, the susd review did say he really liked it for the first x hours. Until the tedium overtook the fun basically. I'm curious to hear your take after x hours too.

• Options
    i haven't gotten that... it's possible i opted for single shipment if they had that option so i won't get it for a while.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I still have all the ships from when i played X wing {in a decaying grocery bag...} or in the opened boxes. I was at a loss how to store them since ones like the tie carrier are kind of awkward as well as getting containers here is just weird
    It was the lack of things to do in the game is why we stopped playing [the random deck and such came way too late in my opinion} I still want an imperial raider though

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    To be fair, the susd review did say he really liked it for the first x hours. Until the tedium overtook the fun basically. I'm curious to hear your take after x hours too.

if i know anything about myself yeah that will be a killer. however the developer has said that their going to finx the slumbers and dreams for the second wave so that aren't so grindy which sounds lovely

the one thing that is REALLY pissing me off about susd is they dropped this bit in the fund drive video about "steering people away from expensive games" and the picture they showed was Etherfields. But they didn't steer anyone away! Everyone already bought it, that's why they were able to play it at all! You just ended up making a ton of people regret their expensive purchase!

plus quins always has a shirt on that really grinds my gears

• Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I have one of those cases and a larger yellow/black case full of Rebel and Scum ships, plus whatever loser Imperials I had to pick up for equipment cards.

I probably would've bought into 2.0 but it launched after my FLGS closed and the group I played with ended up at a store that would've been a 1-hour post-work drive for me, so that wasn't happening.

As a contrast, I haven't played X-wing in like four years (with no real expectation to play it again anytime soon), but nevertheless decided to buy like 20 1st Ed. ships when they all hit deep discounts about a year ago at the launch of 2nd Ed.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Fun fact: the Anachrony infinity box is too fucking big~

• Options

I need context. Too big for the contents? Too big to fit on a shelf? Too big to fit on the table? Too big to fit in your front door?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    too big to comfortably sleep in alone

best git myself back on grinder, hunt me up a fuckpile

• Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I need context. Too big for the contents? Too big to fit on a shelf? Too big to fit on the table? Too big to fit in your front door?
    As much as I appreciate Pink's words, indeed, one of your suggestions is damn near the answer. No, I shall not tell you which it is. ;P

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Digital Root is now on sale on Steam for $10.79, and Wingspan is $15.99.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    A friend asked if there's a good asynchronous asymmetrical card game like netrunner and I'm kind of stumped.closest I could think of was player vs game stuff like arkham lcg, marvel lcg, sentinels of the multiverse

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    A friend asked if there's a good asynchronous card game like netrunner and I'm kind of stumped.closest I could think of was player vs game stuff like arkham lcg, marvel lcg, sentinels of the multiverse
    Asynchronous? Or asymmetrical? I can't really think of a 2P asymmetrical card game other than Netrunner, come to think of it. Maybe Bottom of the 9th, which is a fairly natural asymmetrical setup, given that one person is pitching and one person is batting. :) Technically, Lord of the Rings: Confrontation is an asymmetric and hidden information card game, I guess. Digging around, there are lighter games like Raptor and Vampire Empire that could fit the bill.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    If you want asymmetric, check out... Pretty much everything by Sirlin Games. Codex, in particular, is both asymmetric and can also be asynchronous (eg play by mail or the like) if you choose.

• Options
    Fugitive by Fowers is asymmetrical, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

Villainous is kinda asymmetrical. Every villain has a different deck and win condition.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I think the question could be clarified slightly ... If your friend is looking for asymmetrical games that are qualitatively like Netrunner ... well ... that is the rub, isn't it? But if they just want asymmetry and used Netrunner's asymmetric gameplay as the example basis, then yeah, lots of good answers listed so far~
    I think Unmatched could also be pitched into the ring here. Every character is different in some fairly significant mechanical way, though as far as I know they do all have the same "beat up the other guy" victory condition.
    Otherwise you're looking at, like, Labyrinth: The War On Terror? Which, as a fan, I wouldn't say is a bad thing but I fully recognize that isn't everybody's cup of tea.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Speaking of Unmatched, my copy of the latest standalone expansion arrived today, Little Red Riding Hood vs. Beowulf. Part of me, deep inside, will never stop giggling at the concept.

Also, their rendering of Little Red Riding Hood is that of her after the events of her fairy tale, living as a tiny, feral, survivalist maniac in the woods, wearing the wolf's pelt. Her sidekick is the Huntsman, who now follows her from a comfortable distance and tries to make sure she doesn't kill herself.

Normally, I think the "fairy tales but fucking edgy" thing has gotten really passe for me, but I love this.

• Options
    I'm freaking out right now.

My brother and sister in law basically just gave me a blank check for a gaming table! :surprised:

I know of many companies, but nothing of their quality or pro/cons. Does anyone own one of these and can give me what they like/dislike? Or experience in ordering or issues?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

My brother and sister in law basically just gave me a blank check for a gaming table! :surprised:

I know of many companies, but nothing of their quality or pro/cons. Does anyone own one of these and can give me what they like/dislike? Or experience in ordering or issues?

Blank check means Wyrmwood.

• Options

I thought of that, but it also needs to be our dining table and the prophecy is too small.
    I'm considering the modular, but it's in post-Kickstarter/pre-general availability limbo.
    They are the company I'm most familiar with.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Geek N Sons still in business?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I thought of that, but it also needs to be our dining table and the prophecy is too small.
    I'm considering the modular, but it's in post-Kickstarter/pre-general availability limbo.
    They are the company I'm most familiar with.

Damn, that's a big table you're looking for.

Carolina Game Tables had good looking tables every time I've seen them at a convention. I'd been seriously considering one within the next year or two, so I always stopped to check them out more closely. Nice folks who work there too. Anyway, their Tablezilla is the largest gaming table I know of at 8 feet long by 48 inches wide. The Prophecy is about 2.5 inches wider, but Tablezilla is 8.5 inches longer.

I think you're probably into a custom table from somewhere if you need something bigger than that.