As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 is dead. Gamescom August 27th!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    "vikings were just farmes looking for new land to live"

I'm no historian, but that seems like a, uh, unusual take

They were farmers. Just like when I'm playing WoW and I massacre a village for their loot I'm farming.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I mean they clearly wanted to get across that the vikings weren't solely plunderers in horned helmets who jump off boats and kill people with axes. But they chose a very awkward way of sharing that information.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I've watched Vinland Saga and thus I'm an expert in Viking culture.

I can confirm that Vikings were both farmers and raiders.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    vikings definitely got disproportionately represented as raiders compared to other civilizations due to england having such a strong effect on our culture, at least

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Viking is a weird word that people, often mistakenly, use to mean different things. People often use it as a catch all for norse people of a certain era but that's not really accurate. It's more specifically for people who took part in overseas expeditions, be it raiding/trading/colonizing

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I have no fucking idea what kind of game watch dogs legion wants to be and I'm no longer convinced that Ubisoft does either

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    It wants to be GTA5, in terms of profit anyway.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just finally watched the Ubi Forward thing and wow, having Farcry 6 leak really took the legs out from under the end, huh

Anyway I still think those games look pretty good, even if Ubisoft is the weirdest most cowardly company in existence because it's like they specifically look for subject matter that is the most politically relevant to the moment possible, and then do whatever they can to try and avoid saying anything.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I think they have a pretty clear political message actually

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

"Status quo = good, when status quo = bad this is because of individual bad people, kill bad to restore good"

Did I miss anything

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »

"Status quo = good, when status quo = bad this is because of individual bad people, kill bad to restore good"

Did I miss anything

"We would really, really like to have your money".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I skimmed through the AC Valhalla demo and hoo boy they're just barely even bothering with regional accents this time at all huh

Veldrin on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I skimmed through the AC Valhalla demo and hoo boy they're just barely even bothering with regional accents this time at all huh

I know at least both versions of the main character is voiced by Danish actors. Do other viking characters not sound appropriate?

I should maybe just watch it myself.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    It will never stop weirding me out how CEOs and other big shots at these massive companies so often have garbage ass mics for their pre recorded bits on all these digital showcases

Having worked with high level corporate officers on presentations like E3--including voice overs for digital demonstrations--let me assure you that literally none of them think recording quality is actually important. Also none of them know how to speak into a microphone, even if you coach them exhaustively. It would be distressing if it actually led to consequences for yours truly, but thankfully it never has.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I know at least both versions of the main character is voiced by Danish actors. Do other viking characters not sound appropriate?

Eivor and a couple of the other Danes sounded fine, but it seems like almost every ancillary character either sounded like a caricature or just jarringly modern American.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

Eivor and a couple of the other Danes sounded fine, but it seems like almost every ancillary character either sounded like a caricature or just jarringly modern American.

something something glitches in the Animus.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I still can't get over the rasp that the va for female Eivor plays up. That really bums me out because it'll probably break the game for me

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Looking at the previews it seems like you'll be able to switch between the male and female Eivor at any time in the game this time. It's just a menu option. No having to make a decision at the start that locks you into one choice for the entire game.

Also they say they somehow tie you being able to do that into the story because I guess everything needs to be explained in game rather than "We wanted to let the player play as whichever they wanted just because".

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The DNA they're extracting the memory from is missing the chromosone information, so you can toggle the artificial information the Animus uses to complete the DNA strand from within the machine.

If they spend more than thirty seconds explaining it, they've fucked up.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    genderfluid eivor confirmed

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Dang milkshake dog

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I liked Vinland Saga since the protaganist eventually realizes, this culture fucking sucks.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Are those actual terms or is that part of the bit

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    they're all real fake terms rightwingers have spouted, yes

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    content: anti-Semitism and barely disguised white supremacist imagery

https://i.imgur.com/145JcEO.jpg

it started off as some dumb memes that had some "ironic racism" in it and then of course immediately turned into full throated undisguised racism with dipshits who started taking it 100% seriously and are basically neo nazis

Brolo on
  • Options
    How do I become an indigo pill?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

I can unfortunately report that all of those are real
    Blackpill: aka "doomer," nihilists who often lean right-wing and/or fash just to get things over with faster because none of it matters
    Tradcath: Traditional Catholic, a surprisingly recent strain of radical catholic conservatives who's politics and aesthetics are right out of the middle ages despite all of them being millenial twitter posters
    Dark Enlightenment: aka neo-reactionaries, edgy "intellectual" alt-righters from before the term alt-right was a thing

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Open your third eye

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    There's only one pill I'm interested in, and that's the yellow one

bgh3ihjropxg.jpg

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I can unfortunately report that all of those are real
    Blackpill: aka "doomer," nihilists who often lean right-wing and/or fash just to get things over with faster because none of it matters
    Tradcath: Traditional Catholic, a surprisingly recent strain of radical catholic conservatives who's politics and aesthetics are right out of the middle ages despite all of them being millenial twitter posters
    Dark Enlightenment: aka neo-reactionaries, edgy "intellectual" alt-righters from before the term alt-right was a thing

the last category wants to bring back heredity absolute monarchs and feudalism

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The Ghost Recon: Breakpoint AI team mate trailer is great and all.

Really really should have been in the game at launch.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah ever since the whole FC5 situation and Ubisoft being all "our highly politicized games aren't at all political" I've kind of soured on them a bit.

Not even cause I need my entertainment to be political...just like please don't insult my intelligence like that.

I'll be looking at 6 cause Gus and I did enjoy Watch Dogs 2 in spite of all that but yeah...

I would never have actually cared if their games were remotely political but I feel betrayed because I feel like they explicitly invoked politics and then ran in the other direction. I don’t think it was fear, either, of criticism. I think it was an intentional marketing ploy. It was kind of irritating.

Far Cry 5 was, in my opinion, really excellent. But I can’t help but be really annoyed at how that played out.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ubisoft-has-rebooted-skull-bones/

According to a report from VGC, the reason we didn't see Skull & Bones is because it is currently undergoing a total reboot, away from a traditional boxed singleplayer/multiplayer package and toward a persistent world live service game, with a changing world ala Fortnite/Apex Legends. Also, the lead on the project is now Elisabeth Pellen, former VP of Ubi's editorial team who was the lead writer on XIII.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Speaking of Ubisoft being "apolitical", they appropriated First They Came For, the most famous of Holocaust poems and then changed the wording for their marketing. It's super gross.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    why the fuck is "then they came for the street artists" basically their closer

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Protec Banksy

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.