D&D 5E: On Wings of Midnight

1356744

Posts

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    (Hahaha, NICE. those are going to be some very spooked iguanas).

    Gear returns to the party. "Something torn the seedweed, like it was something rough, pulled over it. Impressive given it's size"

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    ((Nooo I don't *want* spooked iguanas! I just want lazy iguanas! Haha))

    Darmak
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    ((Nooo I don't *want* spooked iguanas! I just want lazy iguanas! Haha))

    ((tooo bad, you're getting spooked igaunas and you'll LIKE it))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    TynnanDarmak
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The iguanas slope off to the other side of their boulders. The few that remain are asleep. They’ll be no trouble to you.

    Hado, you’ve earned 20 experience! Plus the title Bane of These Iguanas in Particular!

    The Zombie PenguinTynnanDarmak
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear makes a mental note: Do not cross Hado, they're kinda spooky. also big. Maybe they're big because they're spooky? At least, they're spooky to iguanas. More research needs to be done. And possibly she will need to return later to unspook the Igaunas.

    Gear looks between hado and Baber and sighs "...let's investigate the ruin on the way back. I'm interested, but we were given a job"

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado, Bane of These Iguanas in Particular, nods his agreement. "That does seem prudent! I think our friends here will not cause any trouble for us."

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    The trek to the cave is uneventful, calm and hot. You notice the wind whip around in circles, but it dies down once you’re at the mouth of the cave.

    oy6y7yiz80c8.jpeg


    Rogo-Rogo’s Cave



    It’s cool in here, but there’s not much room. Sand coats the ground, but that gives way to damp rock further in. Light shines in, casting long shadows as you step across the mouth of the cave. It’s quickly goes from dim light to purest darkness further in.

    Immediately to Baber’s right is a crevice leading to a dark space. No ordinary person could fit in there...

    Further up and to the right giant seaweed climbs up the walls, slick and healthy.

    From here I’d like you to note your movements and edit the map as best you’re able. I’ll step in regularly too, of course.

    What do you do?

    Endless_Serpents on
    Darmak
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    (Well, i was going to make lanterns for everyone via Magical Tinkering, but that requires Tinkers tools, or another artisan toolkit, and i failed to negotiate about trading in some of the useless starting equipment like a crossbow in bolts so i could have one of those kits =/ because apparently i get to start with three profincies in various kits, but i only get to start with an actual thieves kit... which i cant use for Magical Tinkering, one of my level 1 features. That's super irriating))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    (Well, i was going to make lanterns for everyone via Magical Tinkering, but that requires Tinkers tools, or another artisan toolkit, and i failed to negotiate about trading in some of the useless starting equipment like a crossbow in bolts so i could have one of those kits =/ because apparently i get to start with three profincies in various kits, but i only get to start with an actual thieves kit... which i cant use for Magical Tinkering, one of my level 1 features. That's super irriating))

    Pulses of a bluish white light start playing over Baber's skin as they step into the refreshing cool of the cave. They look down the tunnel to the right to see if there's anything they need to worry about. Otherwise they'll cautiously move straight forward about 30 feet, trident and net ready for any possible trouble.

    [OOC: I can glow in the dark for about 8 hours, it'll be bright light for 20ft then dim light for 20ft more. Every hour I use it, it dims by 5ft. Plus I got torches in my pack if anyone wants one.

    As a side note, I'm leaving for work and will be posting from my phone so I don't know how well I'll be able to edit the map]

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    Gear swears softly. "I'd make lanterns for us all, but i foolsih forgot to bring such gear with me." she shrugs and pulls out a torch from her dungeeoner pack, then lights it with her tinderbox "Non-tinkered it is."

    (Gear's now only got 9 torches left in her dungoneers kit. Gear also failed to notice the glow in the dark Fishman)

    The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    [OOC: It’s cool, just give me an idea where you’ll end up when you move, PM or in here.]

    Your sudden light shocks numerous white and translucent bugs lurking down the tight, crooked tunnel. You can’t get a good read on what else is down that way, but nothing alarms you as yet.

    You’re just on the cusp of breaking the dark ahead. The cave floor becomes wetter with each echoing step.

    The massive seaweed rustles to your right, and some of it drops away from the wall, as if reaching out.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear turns to look at the drooping seaweed, bringing her blasting hand up just in case. "...Does seaweed normally do that?"

    geth roll 1d20+3 for nature

    (Trying to determine what's up with the seaweed and if it matches the previous seaweed)

    nature:
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado follows ten feet behind Baber. He's stuffed the Big Fish into his backpack, and he rubs the stem of a small charm made from dried sagebrush as he walks forward. Although the ceiling is well above his head, he walks with a stooped posture as though he could knock his head at any moment.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    Seaweed doesn’t normally do that. Under your watchful gaze the various sections have stopped where they fell. You reckon there is about 5 discreet pieces of seaweed. 4 are about 5 foot long, 1 is 7 foot like the torn one out on the sands. It’s definitely the same sort.

    You’re too far away to learn more. Baber isn’t.


    dgdpnqs3dm1x.jpeg



    Baber, make a Perception skill check.

    [OOC: I’ve moved Gear up a little to put her in line of sight with the seaweed.]



    Endless_Serpents on
    The Zombie PenguinTynnan
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    (i'm going to assume i dont have time to yell to baber to be careful here!)

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20-1 11 [1d20=12]

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    ((I just remembered I took Guidance for one of my two cantrips and I haven't been spamming it! Whoops.))

    Hado will move up so he is immediately behind Baber. At the next narrative opening he will cast Guidance on Baber. ((I assume you want to adjudicate that Perception roll, so this'll be after whatever that brings.))

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    ((I just remembered I took Guidance for one of my two cantrips and I haven't been spamming it! Whoops.))

    Hado will move up so he is immediately behind Baber. At the next narrative opening he will cast Guidance on Baber. ((I assume you want to adjudicate that Perception roll, so this'll be after whatever that brings.))

    (Bad druid no cookies!)

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    Baber! You don’t catch sight of it in time!

    The seaweed segments unfurl into star-like shapes, then each one unsteadily stands! You’ve seen nothing like it before! The first one stumbles towards you and takes a swing! You barely step back in time to avoid it! Eerily, they make no sound, and how they know where you are is a mystery without eyes to see or ears to hear.

    This is unprecedented, no one knew these things were here. They’re so bold to attack, if fate hadn’t drawn you to this cave they might have set themselves upon the folk nearby soon, who can say?

    amtypmxiv5fo.jpeg



    Seaweed Blights
    None of you have heard of these maligned creatures. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are roughly Gear’s height, very thin and agile. At the back 5 is as tall as Hado, and looks to possess the most strength.

    You’re going to have to fight your way through!

    As per your stated goal of only killing when necessary you really only need to search for the missing Joy, so as you push further into the cave be on the look out for ways to end this fight early by different means. Baber, if you can manage to get another 30 feet into the cave your light will reveal more!

    ROLL FOR INITIATIVE!




    [OOC: For our game if your initiative ties with a monster you always go ahead of them. If you’ve got any trouble with any rule for combat, even rolling initiative (it’s a Dexterity roll), just ask.

    Check the monster’s initiative scores in this post, if you roll higher feel free to post your own turn straight away! You’re all stuck behind one, so shoving it out of the way somehow will open up more options for you all.

    I hope I’m not going too fast, I’m trying to cover every kind of interaction with this adventure to see how your racial abilities can be used in fun ways, and if the feel of the setting is realised enough. So far you’ve taken to acting like New Zellatian people remarkably well!

    Geth roll 4d20 for Regular Blights
    Geth roll 1d20-2 for Long Blight

    Regular Blights:
    4d20 44 [4d20=16, 15, 10, 3]
    Long Blight:
    1d20-2 5 [1d20=7]

    Endless_Serpents on
    The Zombie Penguin
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Initiative

    Gear springs into action and aims a firebolt at the nearest (#1) Seaweed blight. (OOC: She's not neccesairly trying to kill, so much as going "oh holy crpa, threat, deal with it - shoot fire at it is a pretty good trcik in her books. Also in case it's unclear - she's holding a torch in one hand, the oher hand is "holding" her thief's kit rigged up to to shoot firebolts.

    ...Bring on level 5 Artillerst so i can turn my staff into a boomstick <.<;;)

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Firebolt: Attack roll
    Geth roll 1d8 for fire bolt damage

    (Also, you're fine dood - I like combat! I had a feeling that might be about to happen, and ambushed by seaweed monsters seems like a good thing.)

    Initiative:
    1d20+2 18 [1d20=16]
    Firebolt: Attack roll:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]
    fire bolt damage:
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    The bolt zips up and hammers down like ball lightning! A crackle of flame dances across the creature’s form despite the water coating it, and it reels back wildly.

    #1 is prone! It’s fallen to the cave floor, and can be stepped across. It yet lives, but barely.

    You all now realise they’re easy to knock down, but can take a good hit and live (they’ve got more than 6 HP, at least.)

    [OOC: Now just wait for the other adventurers to roll.]

    Endless_Serpents on
    The Zombie Penguin
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 18
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for initiative

    When able, Baber will move 15 feet forward, stepping over seaweed blight 1, then 5 feet to the right towards blight 2 and throw their net at it!

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for attack

    [OOC: Unless it goes before Baber, then Baber'll move forward and towards it however far it takes to reach blight 2 to attack. In case you forgot, for nets per the PHB, "A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net."]

    [OOC edit: I forgot to add the proficiency bonus to the attack! It's 2, which means the total should be 15]
    [OOC edit2: hmmm, if I'm point blank is the net still a thrown attack? If so, since it's not a melee weapon, I wouldn't use my STR mod for the attack and would instead use my DEX, which is 1 lower. If that's the case then my attack roll would be 14 total. Your call, Endless_Serpents lol]

    initiative:
    1d20+1 18 [1d20=17]
    attack:
    1d20+2 13 [1d20=11]

    Darmak on
    V0iJ9AS.png
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    You’re quick off the mark, barrelling over the first creature and swinging out your net with enough force to topple the next one. It struggles against it but can gain no purchase. You’re able to pull it to you and enclose the net small enough that it can hardly move.

    It’s now laid in front of you like the catch of the day!

    c4h2xrl9xamk.jpeg

    You haven’t had a look yet, but your natural glow has revealed more of the cave.

    Further up there is a harrowing drop into a dark pit. Water can be heard churning below—you have no way of knowing if it connects to an underground river or if it’s just full of sea water that gets trapped there whenever the tide comes in.

    Beside it a rusted, shell covered case sits precariously near the edge. The case is small, finely made, and wide open. Small tools are spread inside. They’re worse for wear, but look useable. It will require a difficult Acrobatics skill check to grab it, keep the tools in and avoid sliding into the pit!

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Crashing in bed. If you want to keep things going without me: assume gear is eager to grab tools, not eager to risk life and limb, or compatriots in the proceess. Though if we stacked help and guidance, we might have adecent shot? i have no idea who's got the best acrobatics score - i'm rolling +2 for my acro checks.

    Otherwise: she'll aim to support people and keep up pew pew in combat.

    I should be back in about 9 hours or so, depends on how long i sleep, it could be less or more)

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    DarmakTynnan
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    prelmx05dudg.jpeg


    [OOC: Just some notes.

    I’m happy to allow use of a net up close. 5 feet away from something is sufficient distance for a net, it’s how a Roman gladiator might use it.

    The thread works around you, not the other way around. I don’t expect you to turn up at a particular time, and we can always wait for someone. There’s no rush in Play by Post.

    I’m so happy to see you kicking ass already!]

    Endless_Serpents on
    Darmak
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Well shit, I somehow missed this thread completely in spite of the batsignal :sad:

    Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Initiative

    Hado is caught off guard by the sudden movement of the seaweed! He stumbles a bit and is not ready to take an action until several of the blights have acted.

    ((When he is up, he'll probably look for a good spot to light a fire with Create Bonfire, but it won't be clear where to place it until after the other characters have moved into their places))

    Initiative:
    1d20+1 8 [1d20=7]

    Tynnan on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    The first blight (#1) uses much of its energy to get back up from the prone position, and only manages to hobble to Hado. It leans its body back and gives him a full bodied headbutt!

    The blight in the net cannot free itself, and has stopped moving completely.

    From the green, slick wall a new blight (#3) joins the fight! It closes in on Baber and whips it’s limbs around like a lash!

    wggbtkjbro2z.jpeg

    Geth roll 1d20 for #1 Attack
    Geth roll 1d4 for #1 Damage
    Geth roll 1d20 for #3 Attack
    Geth roll 1d4 for #3 Damage

    The remaining blights are too slow, Hado, you’re next!


    Calica wrote: »
    Well shit, I somehow missed this thread completely in spite of the batsignal :sad:

    [OOC: You haven’t missed it, you’re just... fashionably late.

    PM a 1st level character using a New Zellatia race, and I know exactly when you turn up.]

    #1 Attack:
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]
    #1 Damage:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]
    #3 Attack:
    1d20 17 [1d20=17]
    #3 Damage:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    ((#1 will hit Hado by just matching his AC!))

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The blight’s attack leaves just a scratch, but it sure smarts! Hado takes 1 damage.

  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado flinches in pain as the seaweed drags across his chest. He decides it would be unwise to light a fire across the only narrow entrance to the cave, so he raises his walking stick in one hand and takes a swipe at the offending blight facing him (#1)

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Quarterstaff 1H @ #1

    If that hits it would deal:
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for Quarterstaff damage @ #1

    Quarterstaff 1H @ #1:
    1d20+4 21 [1d20=17]
    Quarterstaff damage @ #1:
    1d6+2 4 [1d6=2]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    The blight (#1) is knocked against the cave wall! It crumbles to the floor like a wilted flower. The seaweed itself doesn’t appear to change, but it’s not moving. Whatever animated it is gone. It’s just an ordinary plant now.


    Another blight (#4) rights itself, then scampers on all fours, picking up off-balanced speed! It’s coming for you Hado, but isn’t close enough to attack.

    Finally the largest blight steps forth... and swiftly whips its limbs towards Baber, pulling him 5 feet towards it in a grapple! It’s slick and lacks hands to grip, it should be easy...

    q3lc0a8g9a6z.jpeg


    Geth roll 1d20 for Grapple

    Baber, make an Athletics skill check contesting this grapple! Roll higher to break free!



    And that brings us back to the top! Gear’s turn is next.

    Grapple:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Baber flinches from blight 3's attack, and then struggles against the big blight 5's grab

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for athletics

    [OOC: mmk, Baber takes 2 damage from blight 3's attack and likely escapes the grapple since their modifier alone is higher than the blight's roll lol]

    athletics:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]

    V0iJ9AS.png
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You instinctively reveal your rows of sharp teeth as you roar against your restraints, and in a death roll you tear the clutching limbs from the tallest blight and stumble back. You keep your footing! The limbs hang about you like two scarfs.

    It can still attack with its body, but at reduced damage, and it can no longer reach and grapple its opponents.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear steps up behind Hado and takes aim at another blight (#4) "just hold still for a moment..." She says to Hado

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for firebolt
    Geth roll 1d8 for firebolt damage

    firebolt:
    1d20+3 14 [1d20=11]
    firebolt damage:
    1d8 4 [1d8=4]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    Hado’s cheek is illuminated with hot orange light as the firebolt blasts off and sucker punches the crouched blight, sending it tumbling into its back. It’s prone until the start of its next turn.


    ckpthofwqs01.gif

    Endless_Serpents on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Baber turns and strikes out with their trident in a two-handed grip at blight 3, trying to knock it down

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Attack
    Geth roll 1d8+2 for Damage

    Attack:
    1d20+4 17 [1d20=13]
    Damage:
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 18
    Your trident pierces through it with ease, and as you pull back you tear it in half. The top half drifts off on the air as the bottom flops forward. There’s still life in the bottom half, but it won’t be getting up any time soon!

    But... wait...

    As suddenly as they came to life, every blight falls. The power animating them has seemingly fled!

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Everyone gains 30 experience!

    What a strange occurrence! What could it mean?

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    "Uhhhhmmmm..."

    Baber pokes the remains with their trident a bit, then retrieves their net from the entangled blight. They look around thoughtfully and a little suspiciously, and a little spooked too. Their skin's luminescence flickers a bit, showing their nervousness.

    "Y'all, let's hurry this up. I don't like how they just dropped. Gear, if you wanna check out that stuff over by the pit I'll help."

    [OOC: I want Baber to use the Help action if Gear decides to check out that case. I figure she's probably more nimble than they are, so Baber can instead hold onto her or steady her or, I dunno, be ready to catch/grab her if she starts to fall or something]

    V0iJ9AS.png
Sign In or Register to comment.