Options

National Protests are Still a Thing Because of [Police Brutality]

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Wanted to share this article in this thread as well:

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2020/06/marsys-law-tony-mcdade-florida-police-killing-victim/

Article about how one police department in FL is interpreting a victims’ rights law called Marsy’s Law to hide the identity and body cam footage of the officer involved.

I remember seeing this amendment in the FL 2018 elections and how there were concerns of it being overly broad. Now it seems to be a tool for law enforcement to shield themselves from accountability. There are similar amendments and laws already in other states as well.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    It just hit me that the phrase "for profit prison" I something I would expect to read in a book about an ancient civilization and not a first world country.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    It just hit me that the phrase "for profit prison" I something I would expect to read in a book about an ancient civilization and not a first world country.

That's because no first world nation has a for profit prison.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The lie is assuming that history is a glorious upward trajectory of "progress", and surely we are more advanced than our barbarian ancestors.
    It shouldn't be too much of surprise that pretty much every culture thinks that of itself. Whether it's done in the name of God with a Jihad, or a Public Safety Committee and a guillotine.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Not true

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Not true

It's a "USA isn't really a first world country" crack.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Not true

The problem with those is the actual origin of the term.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    We, the US, are apparently just a dumbass backwards shithole that got extremely rich off of not having to ever fight a modern war on our soil. Which was absolutely just an accident of geography. The fact that we didn't know this is apparently because we spent a lot of money developing better and better communications technology with which to bask in our own propaganda

I know I've been disappointed to learn this over the past few years, but it at least allows more critical thinking about our broken institutions without the rose covered glasses of an American golden age that never actually existed

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

Not true

I know, and saying the US is the only rich country with private prisons minimizes the horrors capitalism inflicts around the world, because it's not true.

Coinage on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    We, the US, are apparently just a dumbass backwards shithole that got extremely rich off of not having to ever fight a modern war on our soil. Which was absolutely just an accident of geography. The fact that we didn't know this is apparently because we spent a lot of money developing better and better communications technology with which to bask in our own propaganda

I know I've been disappointed to learn this over the past few years, but it at least allows more critical thinking about our broken institutions without the rose covered glasses of an American golden age that never actually existed

You're forgetting about all those years of genocide to gobble up and exploit natural resources before that, really. The US was wealthy before WWI/II as a whole. Having the last factories standing just made it go into overdrive.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

A lot of the US's wealth comes from having untapped resources, geographic isolation and historical luck with when we made nice with certain folks and when we kicked others in the teeth.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

A lot of the US's wealth comes from having untapped resources, geographic isolation and historical luck with when we made nice with certain folks and when we kicked others in the teeth.

I don't think any of those things had as much influence on the vision of America that I was taught as a child so much as the post wars brain drain the US benefited from. Many of the world dominating technologies we developed were pioneered by people who were not born here. And even that isn't solely predicated on the available factories and universities that attracted the world's best and brightest, so much as the fact that we were the only standing military who could shield individuals or western europe as a whole from Soviet control. It was in the best interests of the first world to prop up the US no matter how many times we've shot ourselves in the dick since the end of WWII.

Looping this back around, it colors my views of all of our current national crises not so much motivated by a growing trend as it is a slow slide back to what this country has always been. And it allows me to more readily buy in to the destruction of 'beloved' American institutions such as policing because I can accept that the flaws have always been there and are impossible to ignore.

YMMV, of course

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options

I don't think any of those things had as much influence on the vision of America that I was taught as a child so much as the post wars brain drain the US benefited from. Many of the world dominating technologies we developed were pioneered by people who were not born here. And even that isn't solely predicated on the available factories and universities that attracted the world's best and brightest, so much as the fact that we were the only standing military who could shield individuals or western europe as a whole from Soviet control. It was in the best interests of the first world to prop up the US no matter how many times we've shot ourselves in the dick since the end of WWII.

Looping this back around, it colors my views of all of our current national crises not so much motivated by a growing trend as it is a slow slide back to what this country has always been. And it allows me to more readily buy in to the destruction of 'beloved' American institutions such as policing because I can accept that the flaws have always been there and are impossible to ignore.

YMMV, of course

Like 90% of the postwar boon you're talking about is predicated on geographic isolation still - our position on the globe made waging war on our homeland a logistical nightmare if not all out suicide for our opponents so our universities, research facilities, factories and military bases were sitting here intact waiting for those things to come to us.

Overall us winning at musical chairs never had much to do with our system or the people who were here, but moreso that we were already sitting in the last chair when the music stopped

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Among other things, we were in a good position to take advantage when Napoleon was looking to offload all of Louisiana at a fantastic discount.

• Options

Among other things, we were in a good position to take advantage when Napoleon was looking to offload all of Louisiana at a fantastic discount.

Won the revolutionary war when : Those assholes the French are too much of a problem, take the fucking land.

Purchased 1/3 of the continental US when : Those assholes the British are too much of a problem, take the fucking land

The rest of the lower 48: Guess which other empire is on the decline from fighting the other ones?

• Options
    I believe that is part of what I was trying to convey - America's "success" as it were, was taught to us as being part of our birthright as a free and democratic nation, that the institutions created by our forebears had given rise to our wealth and prosperity and that we were a dominant world power because of our righteousness in the face of tyranny.

And the actual reality is that any power we exert is due to a quirk of geography. (Plus centuries of genocide to lay waste to the peoples who once lived on that geography). Our institutions, our beliefs, and our righteousness were never part of the equation.

Our propaganda told us that we were better people than we actually are

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I genuinely believe that at one point, unencumbered by the history of the old world America was capable of many great things - moreso then any other country on earth.

But we chose to bathe our future in blood and a lot of the things that drove us to dominance were basically happy accidents that the dipshits that make up the bulk of our number would cast aside at a moment's notice in favor of being more racially pure - literally histories least correlated but most sought after metric for greatness.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I genuinely believe that at one point, unencumbered by the history of the old world America was capable of many great things - moreso then any other country on earth.
    Being a settler nation does not make you unencumbered by history. There's no such thing as a blank slate just because you pack up and go somewhere else. I'd say that more often than not, the act of settling elsewhere makes you inordinately fixated on the past and the things you left behind. Doesn't mean that there's some kind of deterministic colonial fate that cannot be avoided, but an America unencumbered by the history of the old world is an origin myth that isn't really based in what things tend to be like in reality IMO.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Won the revolutionary war when : Those assholes the French are too much of a problem, take the fucking land.

Purchased 1/3 of the continental US when : Those assholes the British are too much of a problem, take the fucking land

The rest of the lower 48: Guess which other empire is on the decline from fighting the other ones?

Mexico's history with the US is bonkers

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I believe that is part of what I was trying to convey - America's "success" as it were, was taught to us as being part of our birthright as a free and democratic nation, that the institutions created by our forebears had given rise to our wealth and prosperity and that we were a dominant world power because of our righteousness in the face of tyranny.

And the actual reality is that any power we exert is due to a quirk of geography. (Plus centuries of genocide to lay waste to the peoples who once lived on that geography). Our institutions, our beliefs, and our righteousness were never part of the equation.

Our propaganda told us that we were better people than we actually are

Hey. Our propaganda may have lied to us about our history and our institutions, but knowing better means we can do better. As a country, we have a responsibility to try to fix what our forbears broke, but we aren't guilty of the things they did. And if America stays terrible despite our genuine best efforts, we won't be guilty of that either.

Not that I think anyone's keeping track. It's just pointless to punish yourself (general "you") for things you had no agency in.

See also: no ethical consumption under capitalism. If the system only gives bad choices, the fault lies with the system, not the individuals trying to survive under it.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Nah. An ancient civilization wouldn't really have prisons

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I thought about making this post but wasn't confident enough in my knowledge of history to do so.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I guess ancient societies sometimes sold prisoners into slavery, which is kind of like for profit prisons.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Well, it depends what you did. Most cultures didn't really have the resources for prisons like that, and so if you pissed them off enough, they just sold you off.

Or killed you.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Medieval civilizations barely had prisons. The word dungeon comes from the word donjon, meaning great tower or keep. If you were a prisoner in medieval times in western Europe, you wouldn't actually be kept underground; you'd be kept in what was generally a well appointed room, and would likely still have servants and a certain amount of freedom. There are plenty of accounts of prisoners going out hunting with their captors. Sir Walter Raleigh wrote The History of the World, Volume 1 while a prisoner in the Tower of London (I will note that he was beheaded before he could write volume 2). Oftentimes, people were permitted to live with their families while in prison.

The idea that people were put into an oubliette is largely a 19th century invention. The historians at the time saw little chambers under the donjons and were like "of course they put prisoners down there in the darkness!" The real purpose for those chambers was to serve as storage.

Prior to the modern era, prisons in Europe were basically only used to hold people awaiting trial. Early legal systems tended to be very direct in how it handled supposed crimes. You could be whipped, made a slave, deported, mutilated, fined, executed, publicly humiliated, etc, but kept in a cell for an extended period of time? That was a burden that no state wanted to bear. Until the Enlightenment came along and was like "hey, maybe we shouldn't deport people to Australia for stealing apples, I dunno."

With all of that said, since ancient and pre-modern civilizations would do things like sell people into slavery, I suppose that you can argue that a for-profit penal system has existed since the early days of civilization.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Mexico's history with the US is bonkers

Poor Mexico. So far from God, so close to the US.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    There are plenty of accounts of prisoners going out hunting with their captors. Sir Walter Raleigh wrote The History of the World, Volume 1 while a prisoner in the Tower of London (I will note that he was beheaded before he could write volume 2).

Oh, so that’s why we never got Hitler: On Ice! or Jews in Space

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    In thread topic news, federal enforcement is going on in Portland.

Tweets from reporters

This one shows a person having a seizure while protestors shout for medics

So It Goes on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There should be more noise made about how officers are deliberately using these "less lethal" weapons not as they were intended to be used, in order to inflict more horrific injuries.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    For profit prison have been a thing for most of modern history with debtors prisons and the like, wherein a prison had to pay for basic amenities such as not being weighed down by chains. Guards where expected to make their money by selling such services and other "ways"(stealing the prisoners belongings and ransoming them back).

It was phased out in most of the world with the beginning of the Victorian era where it was pointed out that imprisoning poor people in such horrible conditions was not conductive to them being law abiding citizens once they where released. That it would be in a nations best financial and moral interest to rehabilitate prisoners into law-abiding citizens. So for profit prisons got phased out.

More things change...

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    You were also expected to tip the executioner if you wanted your death to be quick and not a multi-chop hacking.

There have been relatively few instances of history wherein the justice system served the people subject to it.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Edit wrong thread

Couscous on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Until the Enlightenment came along and was like "hey, maybe we shouldn't deport people to Australia for stealing apples, I dunno."

Think there's some temporal misalignment going on here.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    EDIT: Wrong thread.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    "What has he been wrong about, exactly?"

And who has been saying it?

There's always these nebulous "people" that come into existence whenever the republicans need an excuse for an action they're taking.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

There's always these nebulous "people" that come into existence whenever the republicans need an excuse for an action they're taking.

The media and Twitterers.

• Options

Sorry, wrong thread.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    For profit prison have been a thing for most of modern history with debtors prisons and the like, wherein a prison had to pay for basic amenities such as not being weighed down by chains. Guards where expected to make their money by selling such services and other "ways"(stealing the prisoners belongings and ransoming them back).

It was phased out in most of the world with the beginning of the Victorian era where it was pointed out that imprisoning poor people in such horrible conditions was not conductive to them being law abiding citizens once they where released. That it would be in a nations best financial and moral interest to rehabilitate prisoners into law-abiding citizens. So for profit prisons got phased out.

More things change...

Where were the prisoners expected to get the money? I know, the cruelty is the point; but if the guards are actually expected to get paid that way then it can't just be about punishing people for being broke. Blood from a stone, etc.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

More things change...

Where were the prisoners expected to get the money? I know, the cruelty is the point; but if the guards are actually expected to get paid that way then it can't just be about punishing people for being broke. Blood from a stone, etc.

That's why you'd get rich people locked up every now and again. This was actually a major component of the salem witch trials. The jails they put the "witches" in operated like that, you paid for your cell and the way they did that is they took all your possessions and sold em off. Many of the big names that got murdered in the witch trials got the implication thrown on them simply because people both did not like the individual and also wanted to take their shit.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

More things change...

That's why you'd get rich people locked up every now and again. This was actually a major component of the salem witch trials. The jails they put the "witches" in operated like that, you paid for your cell and the way they did that is they took all your possessions and sold em off. Many of the big names that got murdered in the witch trials got the implication thrown on them simply because people both did not like the individual and also wanted to take their shit.

It was aslo expected that the prisoners' loved ones would pony up the cash if they had the means (also sometimes wealthy benefactors, but this was obviously very rare). Some also persued their trade from inside the prison to raise cash (e.g., imprisoned priests performed weddings for money).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
This discussion has been closed.