As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    it's MMO enough for me to mention it, I suppose

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Destiny is absolutely an MMO, but the damage mechanics are shooting instead of casting. It's still a game centered around making numbers go up, min/maxing stat sheets and taking on raids. It's more MMO than like, Toon Town, which is an actual MMO.

I guess it would be closer to the Guild Wars or PSO execution, where you don't often see other players on the same instance/server. Social spaces have limited communication and less players per room.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Games like Destiny or Warframe lack the "massive" part of MMO. If you have maximum player count of less than was available in Quake II, then I don't know how you call that massive.

It's basically Diablo, but with a community hub.

• Options
    Games like Destiny or Warframe lack the "massive" part of MMO. If you have maximum player count of less than was available in Quake II, then I don't know how you call that massive.

Yeah well, if that's the case, why is it listed on MMORPG.com as a MMO? Checkmate, liberals
    https://www.mmorpg.com/destiny

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Yeah well, if that's the case, why is it listed on MMORPG.com as a MMO? Checkmate, liberals

I like to imagine this is how Rush Limbaugh used to argue about MMORPGs. Rest in peace, Rush.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I like to imagine this is how Rush Limbaugh used to argue about MMORPGs. Rest in peace, Rush.

He's uhh still alive?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    05v1pzs6bdlj.jpg

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

He's uhh still alive?

His career isn't.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Blizzard are officially denying it.
    “We currently have no plans to bring World of Warcraft or Shadowlands to Xbox Series X,” a representative from Blizzard told Polygon. “The platform was listed on the Brazil Ministry of Justice rating website in error, and the entry has since been updated to reflect that the game is coming only to PC.”

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/27/21340788/world-of-warcraft-shadowlands-expansion-console-port-rating-controller-support-xbox-series-x

Xbox One release confirmed.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Is that MMO tracking site accurate at all, or is it like VGchartz where they just make shit up and are often hilariously wrong?

Edit: It's largely based on Reddit activity, so it's probably not accurate.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Is that MMO tracking site accurate at all, or is it like VGchartz where they just make shit up and are often hilariously wrong?

They use other statistics too, but it's not great. I haven't seen a single website that actually claims WoW isn't the most populous by large margin though, so I think the point is clear.

If you have one, feel free to look at it so we can pick at those numbers the same way.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

They use other statistics too, but it's not great. I haven't seen a single website that actually claims WoW isn't the most populous by large margin though, so I think the point is clear.

If you have one, feel free to look at it so we can pick at those numbers the same way.

No, there's not one that's accurate as far as I can tell. Which sucks.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

No, there's not one that's accurate as far as I can tell. Which sucks.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. That's why I'm pretty confident in saying FFXIV, to single it out, is probably third, fourth or fifth depending on the definition of MMORPG.

And I'm very confident that that WoW is still dominating, considering that's the one thing every appraisal seems to have in common. Not joking, one of the only place I've seen suggesting contrary are the FFXIV threads on Blizzard and other message boards--and these are posts that don't even bother offering outdated/updated web links, just "gut feelings."

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Grounded is now out, the early access version.

On Gamepass, natch.

• Options
    Gonna have to download that

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I was cracking up because they have an arachnaphobe slider for people scared of spiders. Thoughtful.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, everyone's noting how Game Pass must be cannibalizing Games with Gold (as oppose to the reverse, since one or the other has to happen).

As we've discussed years before as we watched the Vita and PS3 Playstation Plus games plummet in quality before they were discontinued, yeah, there's no good real way around that. Beyond "Drop a bunch of games from Game Pass and put the best one up for GwG." So long as Game Pass has a very, very low attrition rate, this is going to be an issue.

• Options

Impressive to hit #1 on Steam when it's also on Gamepass.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Impressive to hit #1 on Steam when it's also on Gamepass.

Sea of Thieves and MCC have both performed really well on Steam since they launched there. a lot of people still have no interested in playing games through the Windows Store.

similarly, the devs of CrossCode recently revealed that more people have played the game on Xbox through Game Pass than on Switch and PS4 combined, but very few folks have played it through Game Pass for PC.

https://www.windowscentral.com/crosscode-xbox-game-pass-has-more-players-other-consoles-combined

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Considering the visceral response EGS still gets at this point, I'm not entirely surprised. I wonder what that means for Game Pass on PC (which, by necessity, will not work with and will be a direct competitor to Steam). We've already seen one major one Xbox title come to PC Game Pass with no mention of a Steam release thusfar: Flight Simulator.

Steam's a juggernaut. It's no longer a monopoly, but it's still a behemoth. We'll see how that plays out. Either people start playing the Xbox version of Windows 10 games....or Game Pass is basically a console-only feature for the majority of users, and since it's not coming to any other console, that means ultimately an Xbox Series X/etc. only feature.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Grounded is out? I thought it was out at xmas?

edit: oh early access

Nosf on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    It took MW5 for me to bother with EGS and I was unhappy about it.

They've still got some ground to make up with a fair amount of people. The gut reaction can be hard to get past

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Red Faction 2 is a big deal, right?
    At least I remember it being a big deal historically

• Options

Red Faction: Guerrilla is the one that people flip their shit about, I thought.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Grounded is pretty decent, but it's got issues like being a sitting duck while going into menus and the voice acting sucks fam (if you're going to make a character who is basically Vince from Recess don't make him sound like a punk). Some of the controls and layout are a bit weird and I was expecting a third person view but there's something more original here than in Outer Worlds at least, which got so boring I gave up. Let me customize a character, fix the voice acting, and you're getting somewhere.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Red Faction: Guerrilla is the one that people flip their shit about, I thought.

Yeah. Guerrilla (the third one) is the highest rated. The rest seem to hover near 6 out of 10.

• Options
    so a friend convinced me to download Grounded and play it with him
    this game is so early access, that all the "story" content can be done in about 90 minutes and then all that's left is a regular survival game with 0 direction or reason to care

what a waste of our time lmao

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    2 unexciting OG Xbox games. That's something I guess

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    I actually think I played a lot of Red Faction 1 & 2 as a kid. I dunno why... I don't think I liked them but I had them and played them regardless

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I think Red Faction was like the only decent FPS for the PS2 close to launch.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    2 unexciting OG Xbox games. That's something I guess

I’ll probably claim them? Like, this month I couldn’t even bring myself to navigate to the store and get the free-to-own-forever 360 games. So it’s a little better than that.

• Options
    THPS 1+2 news: Noisey just put up a vid with the reveal of all the new songs, along with some performances, gameplay footage, and short interviews with some of the skaters:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4pF9PLeNAc

50 songs in total now, with all the originals except for 5 (Cyco Vision, Committed, Bring The Noise, Out With The Old, B-Boy Document 99) plus another 35+ new songs (some artists are listed twice, wasn't sure how to count them)
    Also, if you look closely, you can now skip tracks in-game without restarting a run, hell yeah

The official spotify playlist has been updated with all the new stuff too: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX6F6y6vVLZ8H?si=IzQ0Xu5BQcCvrfsr5lzvVQ

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yo grounded is pretty good. It's way more polished than most early access survival games, there's just enough story to be interested in what's coming next and I dunno I liked the voice acting and stuff so far.

Also in one corner of the map I found a cave with
    human skeletons and like 40 ant heads on pikes and one super fucking creepy skeleton and ant gut sculpture.

I had fun but I'll definitely check back later when there's more story content. Also screw those spiders, they're super evil and terrifying.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

My word, look at all those downvotes.

I dunno, most of these look fun to me.

As for GamePass, there are still tons of games not on the service. How many haven't also been on GWG already, though, I have no idea (I wouldn't mind Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed getting a second turn, for convenience's sake... though if adding it to GamePass got people to see how great it is, I'd give that convenience up).

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    so a friend convinced me to download Grounded and play it with him
    this game is so early access, that all the "story" content can be done in about 90 minutes and then all that's left is a regular survival game with 0 direction or reason to care

what a waste of our time lmao

90 minutes is a bit generous. I was intrigued so I hopped right through it and finished it in 20 minutes or so. I did it all before the first night started, however long that takes.
    You run directly to the mysterious machine right in the beginning. Press a button to start. Chop down a blade of grass. Follow the beam to fix the one wire by going into a very short cave. Come back, hit another button. Go to a tree. Walk inside, open a locked door, talk to a robot. That's it.

My kids got a kick out of it, so we'll see how long they last derping around in the yard. But there is very, very, very little content, especially for a $30 "early access" game. And I get that it's Early Access...but it's early even for an Early Access title. I think paying $30 for it on Steam would be super disappointing. Unless they have a deluge of content to drop out weekly...I don't know why it launched with so little to do.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    hello xbox thread.

I need your expert opinion. How does Stellaris hold up on consoles vs PC?

And does it get the same amount of updates?

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    hello xbox thread.

I need your expert opinion. How does Stellaris hold up on consoles vs PC?

And does it get the same amount of updates?

I only played it for a couple minutes. The PC-to-console UI is awkward but manageable.

Performance-wise though, Stellaris is kind of a nightmare in the late-game with anything but a small galaxy (or maybe on a super-computer), and I expect that's going to be worse on consoles.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Finally started hellblade, and Jesus Christ so many stupid design stuff. Not telling you about buttons so you die. Confusing puzzles where they keep yelling unhelpful clues. And worst of all, long sequences that end in combat, and if you die in the combat you have to redo the whole long sequence. Also combat is frustrating and simplistic.

I love the art and world and story, but they 100% fucked up the game parts of this game

Edit ok I’m liking it more as I go on. But it makes a very bad first impression with like frontloaded line up puzzles and instant death sewuences

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Finally started hellblade, and Jesus Christ so many stupid design stuff. Not telling you about buttons so you die. Confusing puzzles where they keep yelling unhelpful clues. And worst of all, long sequences that end in combat, and if you die in the combat you have to redo the whole long sequence. Also combat is frustrating and simplistic.

I love the art and world and story, but they 100% fucked up the game parts of this game

Edit ok I’m liking it more as I go on. But it makes a very bad first impression with like frontloaded line up puzzles and instant death sewuences

Hope you don't mind having to completely restart the game if you're Rune collecting and miss one that's unreturnable, of which a number are!

Yeah, you can tell the game was made by a very small number of people in comparative terms. Mildly-competent combat where the only option for graduating difficulty is "Way more dudes, and maybe stronger ones." The same puzzle loop over and over again. Beautifully rendered areas--that repeat over and over.

It's left me curious for Hellblade 2 since, the first one was kind of critically acclaimed (the sound direction was real good too, to its credit), since it's hard to imagine Microsoft wouldn't contract a platform-exclusive sequel that wasn't relatively large, versus Hellblade, where you have a B-title very cleverly passing itself off as near-AAA. So much of that game is defined by the need to keep things fairly small. Still, it has its charm, so we'll see how that transfers over to the sequel (which, when combined with the Series X platform--not clear if it's going to be on Xbox One as well? Not sure?), I'm picturing something like the new God of War or perhaps a more carefully curated Horizon Zero Dawn.