As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Saw someone suggest on another forum that the One S could drop in price, giving Microsoft an extremely cheap console for people who may not be in a position to even aquire lockhart. Given they're launching all of their first party games as both Xbox One and Series S/X games for the next few years, it makes a lot of sense that they'll want to keep a One on the shelves.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Microsoft even hinted the ADE console was a limited run thing (probably if it was a critical flop) when they first launched it, so that's not surprising.

Discontinuing the XB1X but not XB1 is more interesting. No variation of the Xbox One is selling strong enough to completely justify continued manufacturing if Microsoft is going to put out both an Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X console (since they've trademarked 'Series S', we can be confident in that). And it's not like they're short of inventory, Nintendo-style--you can buy a new, and even discounted Playstation 4 and PSFro today, online, no problem, it's only easier for Xbox One and Xbox One X.

I wonder if it reflects not just a organizational decision, but also a manufacturing capacity one. Or maybe they just think basic Xbox Ones can keep being sold as very inexpensive UHD players/streaming media boxes (which is a niche the Xbox One S did quite well at when it launched).

I think it's pretty obvious that the Xbox One represented the bulk of Microsoft's console manufacturing up to this point. So this might not even make that much of a difference (aside from them winding down the numbers of that in turn). Every other month we get an Xbox One hardware sale after all. We don't have a set time for Project xCloud to make the hardware switch over either, but then again, we don't have a set time for it to leave beta status, so that's not surprising.

To be totally honest, I wouldn't be the least surprised if Sony discontinued the PSFro with the launch of PS5. PS4 would definitely stick around for a bit longer, like the PS2 and very much unlike the PS3.

Well, I just hope nothing happens to my Project Scorpio console. I'm going to have a hell of a time replacing it if it does.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Just makes sense to keep a cheaper box on the shelves that still plays a shitload of quality games. They didn't stop making the 360 until 3 years after the 1X launched, so I imagine the S will live around that long.

• Options
    Just makes sense to keep a cheaper box on the shelves that still plays a shitload of quality games. They didn't stop making the 360 until 3 years after the 1X launched, so I imagine the S will live around that long.

From a manufacturing point, sure, especially if Xbox Game Streaming keeps relying on Xbox One blade hardware.

I just wonder if they could justify making more if they're sitting on a mountain of inventory (which I suspect they are). :?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

This, plus the likely realization three completely different Xbox models selling at the same time is probably one too many.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I read the drop of the XB1X is so that they can clear that price point for a new XBSS. You don't want to offer 2 competing consoles at the same price point.

Now they can have a clear line up of the `one s`, `series s`, `series x`.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »
    I read the drop of the XB1X is so that they can clear that price point for a new XBSS. You don't want to offer 2 competing consoles at the same price point.

Now they can have a clear line up of the `one s`, `series s`, `series x`.

This makes the most sense to me as well

• Options
    Interesting that they won't support Kinect even via the adapter, but I guess it's just the final nail in that coffin

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Interesting that they won't support Kinect even via the adapter, but I guess it's just the final nail in that coffin

Meanwhile they are supporting OG Xbox games....

• Options
    edited July 2020
    To be fair, I think they're trying to distance themselves from that era of Xbox. The Kinect branding is tied to the failure of the Xbox One itself, and abandoning it was a key part in getting people back aboard..

And to be honest I don't have a lot of hankering to replay Gunstringer or Child of Eden much these days. The only 'big' loss is that it was objectively a better dance interface for things like Dance Central and Just Dance, and that's a niche genre as is. OXbox support is cooler for sure.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Sounds like Microsoft took the 1-year gold purchases off of their website, leading people to believe there's going to be some kind of rejiggering of their service structure when the next console hits (speculation ranges from rolling gold and regular gamepass together, to the outright death of gold and multiplayer becoming free)

Don't know if I believe it means anything yet, and since the event next week is apparently games only, I doubt we'll find out anytime soon.

• Options
    Making multiplayer free while PSN is still charging would definitely be a power move, especially since they pioneered that model and have had historically the best party chat/download servers. GamePass being rolled into gold would make sense, having two subs and all these different combos can be confusing.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Maybe they can fix it so if I have Ultimate pass, I can play a pc pass game and my wife can play the same game on xbox pass together without having the subs on different accounts

EDIT: To explain, this came up with State of Decay II. So we have

My account
    My wife's account

If my account has pc game pass, and my wife's has xbox pass and gold, we can play SoDII on the pc and xbox together

If my account has Ultimate and she is on my home xbox, only one of us can play SoDII at a time. Even though they are technically using different subs rolled in to one.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I mean you're not though. Ultimate should probably be thought of as "including the benefits of" its components, not literally giving you individual entitlements to the components.

So when you have your account w/ PC pass, hers w/ xbox pass+gold, you're using two separate accounts/subs, so two entitlements. When you use just your acct w/ ultimate, you're using a single entitlement in two places, as the same account.

That assumes I read it right, and your first example has her signed into the Xbox, not you?

• Options
    Oh I understand. When I say fix, I more am just annoyed that I would have to spend the same amount (given the limited time rate of pc pass) to get the PC pass on one account and the xbox pass (which comes with gold) on another, as opposed to getting Ultimate on one

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Oh I gotcha. Yeah, annoying. Can understand the "no you can't play this title in two places at once" restriction though. Isn't there some kind of family sharing thinger you could enable? (Or am I thinking of Nintendo...)

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Making multiplayer free while PSN is still charging would definitely be a power move, especially since they pioneered that model and have had historically the best party chat/download servers. GamePass being rolled into gold would make sense, having two subs and all these different combos can be confusing.

I wonder what the price increase on Gold would be.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

I wonder what the price increase on Gold would be.

From the sound of it, Gold may be going away, with stuff like Games with Gold likely being folded into Game Pass/ Game Pass Ultimate. But this is all speculation based on the inability to re-up yearly right now, but there's not a lot of explanations why they would remove the option if they aren't changing things in some way

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    How long do you usually have before a game leaves game pass once it’s in the leaving soon section? Till the end of the month?

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    Oh I gotcha. Yeah, annoying. Can understand the "no you can't play this title in two places at once" restriction though. Isn't there some kind of family sharing thinger you could enable? (Or am I thinking of Nintendo...)

If you set a home xbox, every account on that xbox can use what you have (subscriptions or DLC).

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I imagine the whole "buy 3 years of Gold codes", up-convert it to ultimate may have contributed to removal of pre-purchasing years of live access. :pop:

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Guys I picked up this super underated sleeper hit indie game.

It's called dead cells. I recommend it.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Which is the fun local co-op resident evil game 5 or 6? See their on sale.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

5, 6, and Revelations 2 are all local co-op Resident Evils. Rev 2 doesn't have online, the other two do.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

5, 6, and Revelations 2 are all local co-op Resident Evils. Rev 2 doesn't have online, the other two do.

I'll have to see what Revelations 2 is, but I thought either 5 or 6 was considered bad.

• Options
    I've heard mixed things about 5, but usually I've heard it's better in coop.

I've never heard a single good thing about 6.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Also worth noting they not only continued making the 360, they announced a brand-new 360 model at the same time that they were presenting the Xbox One (It's the one I own, and cost me $99 after a cashback promotion)
    My guess is the context is different here because if they are explicitly announcing a lower-spec Lockhart model, it's going to directly compete with the OneX in that price range and it doesn't make sense to continue manufacturing 2 similar specs with completely different setups if one of them can piggyback off the manufacturing equipment of the future higher spec SKU

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    When did they cease 360 production, by the way? I still need to get a good replacement one.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I've heard mixed things about 5, but usually I've heard it's better in coop.

I've never heard a single good thing about 6.

We all compliment its Mercenaries mode.

Because, to be fair, it's awesome and probably the best Mercenaries mode that the franchise ever did (followed by 5's), especially if you have another person to play it with.

Assuming that's something you're interested in anyway.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    To be fair, I think they're trying to distance themselves from that era of Xbox. The Kinect branding is tied to the failure of the Xbox One itself, and abandoning it was a key part in getting people back aboard..

And to be honest I don't have a lot of hankering to replay Gunstringer or Child of Eden much these days. The only 'big' loss is that it was objectively a better dance interface for things like Dance Central and Just Dance, and that's a niche genre as is. OXbox support is cooler for sure.

Don't you need a 360 for Gunstringer? It seemed like it wasn't backwards compatible with Xbox One.

I do feel like playing some Kinect games.

Can you use a Kinect with Xbox One at all now?

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

Don't you need a 360 for Gunstringer? It seemed like it wasn't backwards compatible with Xbox One.

I do feel like playing some Kinect games.

Can you use a Kinect with Xbox One at all now?

Yes you can. All Kinect games still work--assuming your Xbox One works with Kinect. Mine does, because I bought the breakout box back when I bought an Xbox One X.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Oh I understand. When I say fix, I more am just annoyed that I would have to spend the same amount (given the limited time rate of pc pass) to get the PC pass on one account and the xbox pass (which comes with gold) on another, as opposed to getting Ultimate on one

If you set an Xbox as the 'home' Xbox, anyone using that console can play game pass games on their xbox account, if that helps.

However, you can't both say, play Gears of War 5 at the same time (one on PC, one on Xbox). But you can both play different games at the same time (one on PC, one on Xbox).

• Options
    I will have to get the adapter for it to work with the One X. Because Microsoft.

• Options
    I will have to get the adapter for it to work with the One X. Because Microsoft.

Good luck

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I found an adapter for $23 on Amazon. It looks like there is a third party market for them. From the reviews, they seem to work.

I got an old Kinect to hook up to the 360 if it doesn't.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I will have to get the adapter for it to work with the One X. Because people complained about the Kinect and wanted a smaller console with an internal power supply.

Fix'd.

• Options
    That internal power supply is nice.

• Options
    That internal power supply is nice.

It is. And it's only there because the Xbox One no longer has to power a (large and surprisingly robust) depth-sensing camera through a single port.

• Options
    Some companies actually use Kinect cameras. I overheard the one that I work at does. Not certain for what.

Really it is not a great idea considering they stopped making them